• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Volvo XC90 nominated by carracerptp

Volvo-XC90-model-landing-image-v1.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: 2002~2014(planned)
Style: 4-Door SUV
Engine: 2.4L I5 Diesel (185 HP), 2.5L I5 Turbo (208 HP), 2.9L I6 TT (268 HP), 3.2L I6 (235 HP), 4.4L V8 (288-311 HP)
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual, 4, 5, & 6-Speed Automatics
Layout: Front-engine, Front-Drive or All-Wheel-Drive

My take: Uncool. It's stereotypical Volvo and a stereotypical SUV. It's uninspired and uninteresting. I see one and think "There is someone who has given up."

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Friends family used to have one, really nice car.

It was quick too, and had a nice sound. (V8)

Overall, meh.

The it's-most-definitely-not-a-Taurus-SHO-engine-honest was kinda nifty, if for no other reason than how out-there it was.

Otherwise... it was an SUV. And an SUV that sold itself almost entirely on being more safe than most SUVs circa-2003. And passed its sell-by date about 7 years ago.

Cool engine options (I5s and I6s) and Scandinavian eccentricity drag it up from the uncool zone into a solid Meh from me. It's far from the most seriously uncool crossover SUV, and unlike some others in this segment it's not really copping out to the market; it's just Volvo doing what they do.

My take: Uncool. It's stereotypical Volvo

Wouldn't a stereotypical Volvo be something with no curves?

This isn't my favorite SUV, but it's far from the worst. For something that came out over a decade ago, you can argue the XC90 still looks modern. The interior is a bit dated, though it still looks acceptable in black. I definitely wouldn't say no to a red V8 XC90 with a black leather interior. I've always thought of the XC90 as the outside of the box alternative to the German SUVs.

Typically not a fan of Volvo.
Typically not a fan of crossover SUV's.

One would think that I would say this is seriously uncool. However, this particular vehicle in question is rather appealing (at least to me it is). It's styling cues are becoming a little aged, but they (Volvo) are still doing subtle enough changes to keep up with the times. It's time for the group at Volvo to perform a total make over and move on to the next generation SUV.

Borderline meh and cool ... going with a light version of "COOL".

Meh. I really dislike SUVs, but the XC90 is okay because it's a Volvo, it drives well, and it has some interesting engines.

I think it was fairly cool and unconventional when it first came out, but then it soldiered on year after year, and by now, it's just way past the best before date.

Meh.

I chose uncool, well... because in my opinion it's uncool. That's not to say I wouldn't own one, but I don't think any SUV is cool, let alone an XC90.

XS
I chose uncool, well... because in my opinion it's uncool. That's not to say I wouldn't own one, but I don't think any SUV is cool, let alone an XC90.

Don't forget the part about it being ugly and 11 years old..

A good reliable SUV. Safe and good all around. But the nice thing about a Volvo is that you're never in anything special so you're always understated. Therefore it would be against the nature of the car to give it cool. But there's also nothing wrong with it to make it uncool.

Meh.

Eew, Volvo's are all uncool, as well as SUV's, so mix them together and it's Seriously Uncool for it.

As much as I like Volvo's, the XC90 is designed to move people, not emotions. Uncool.

I don't see why a car being safe and average and well rounded makes it uncool. Maybe not cool, but why uncool?

Hmm... There's a lot of conflict here. On the one hand, it's a big SUV, and big SUV's are a default seriously uncool. On the other hand, it's a Volvo, and Volvo's are a default sub zero... Hmm... I'm going to vote cool, simply because it's a Volvo, and a Volvo could never be less than cool, even if this, by Volvo standards, is as seriously uncool as is possible.

Hmm... There's a lot of conflict here. On the one hand, it's a big SUV, and big SUV's are a default seriously uncool. On the other hand, it's a Volvo, and Volvo's are a default
seriously uncool.

No-one's ever pulled a hot chick with the phrase "I drive a Volvo".

These are driven by trophy mums at private schools or by wannabe trophy mums who are habitual social climbers. They represent the ultimate in lack of knowledge about or interest in cars and just exist for people who have two skills of going to dinner parties and letting things fall out of their vagina.

It's not possible for a road car to be less cool - though several are equal.

Seriously uncool.

Until it's full of my offspring and driven by my IAM-trained partner. Then it will be a sub zero fortress of automotive safety.

Great car. Practical, dependable, comfortable, safe. Couldn't ask for many better cars to ferry your family around in.

Seriously uncool.

I don't see why a car being safe and average and well rounded makes it uncool. Maybe not cool, but why uncool?

It doesn't, inherently. But then there's nothing else about the car that makes it cool.

Meh. I bet it's spacious and safe, but that's just about it, really. Well, at least it's not a complete LUV (Luxury Utility Vehicle) as Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne etc. That's a small plus.

Back