No Data Transfer From 5 to 6 Thanks to Hacking

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 235 comments
Germany
Bonn
GTAce
All right, this article was just posted in the sound thread, but I find the other part just as important:
Data from Gran Turismo 5 won't be recognised by Gran Turismo 6, though, and any progress made in the last game in the series will be lost by those making the jump. "For Gran Turismo 5 to Gran Turismo 6 there'll be no real transfer of data," Yamauchi said. "The main reason for that is the GT5 save data has been cracked already, so we can't really confirm the validity of the save data. So my hope is that between GT6 and GT7 we can transfer some of that across."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-17-gran-turismo-6s-audio-likely-to-be-patched-post-release

This is really pissing me off! I paid good money to get the Chrome and Stealth cars, because the original plan was that every car you own in GT5, can be transferred to future GTs. Now thanks to all these guys who thought it would be oh so awesome to hack their saves, we won't be able to do so.

I want to thank every single person out there with a hacked savefile, you guys are real heroes.

because the original plan was that every car you own in GT5, can be transferred to future GTs.

Really??? Originally no one knew what platform it would be on. Any link to your statement?

Really??? Originally no one knew what platform it would be on. Any link to your statement?

It's hard to find a link anymore, it was ages ago. Yamauchi wanted to do this, so it feels like you really own these cars in a virtual world.

EDIT: Platform doesn't matter, the game just needs to know which car you own and unlock it for you.

I believe the plan was that all the cars in GT5 would also feature in GT6 so that you could buy all of your GT5 cars again, not that you could actually directly transfer your own cars from GT5 to GT6, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It's hard to find a link anymore, it was ages ago. Yamauchi wanted to do this, so it feels like you really own these cars in a virtual world.

I remember talk of PSP transfers, did that happen??? Not sure.

Kaz says lots of things to be honest.

I don't see how it's the people that are at fault. They simply found a way around certain restrictions. PD should have either provided people what they wanted so they wouldn't resort to "hacks" or simply provide better "security" to the game's file system. If you bought a game, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it.

How about the simplest of fixes, making the chrome/stealth cars people want available for purchase in GT6's dealership? Is that not happening also the fault of the users?

Well you paid good money for content for GT5 and that's it. You bought the content before there was any news on GT6, except that it was being made.

I find it good they don't transfer data from the previous game.

Last edited:
Hackers only think about themselves and don't care what their actions will cause. Their only thought is how can I change things and show my hacker buddies how smart I am. I guess it's too much to ask to play the game as is and advance by driving skills not computer knowledge (i.e. cheating).

Hackers only think about themselves and don't care what their actions will cause.

Considering the hack is made available for other people to use and have fun with, I'd say no.

Their only thought is how can I change things and show my hacker buddies how smart I am. I guess it's too much to ask to play the game as is and advance by driving skills not computer knowledge (i.e. cheating).

Or maybe they bought something and want to have fun the way they see fit.

I wanted FOV adjustment. GT5 doesn't offer FOV adjustment. A hack allows for FOV adjustment.

I believe the plan was that all the cars in GT5 would also feature in GT6 so that you could buy all of your GT5 cars again, not that you could actually directly transfer your own cars from GT5 to GT6, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Transfer was mentioned.
I remember talk of PSP transfers, did that happen??? Not sure.

Kaz says lots of things to be honest.
Yes it happened, you can transfer every car from GTPSP to GT5, they'll show up as Standard cars though.
I don't see how it's the people that are at fault. They simply found a way around certain restrictions. PD should have either provided people what they wanted so they wouldn't resort to "hacks" or simply provide better "security" to the game's file system. If you bought a game, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it.

How about the simplest of fixes, making the chrome/stealth cars people want available for purchase in GT6's dealership? Is that not happening also the fault of the users?

So making 1000 HP Minis, getting DLC for free and breaking the ToS is a "way around certain restrictions"? And no, you should NOT be able to whatever you want with it, this could actually lead to huge legal issues.

EDIT:
Well you paid good money for content for GT5 and that's it. You bought the content before there was any news on GT6, except that it was being made.

I find it good they don't transfer data from the previous game.
That GT6 is in development was announced before GT5 was released.

Honestly, I don't see what the uproar is here - the fact that GT6 is most likely going to include the DLC cars from GT5 as regular features makes PD a lot better than some other companies.

Honestly, I don't see what the uproar is here - the fact that GT6 is most likely going to include the DLC cars from GT5 as regular features makes PD a lot better than some other companies.

That's why I'm not angry at PD. They most likely had to change something in the filesystem to prevent further hacking and now the stuff isn't compatible anymore.

So making 1000 HP Minis, getting DLC for free and breaking the ToS is a "way around certain restrictions"?

So what? People run around with imaginary 1500hp rockets that defy gravity.

The problem with the DLC is in how it's being made available. They basically give it to everyone and it just awaits for a zero to be made into 1 for it to be usable.

And no, you should NOT be able to whatever you want with it, this could actually lead to huge legal issues.

Really?

GT6 would really feel like GT5.5 if we picked up where we left off in GT5. It's a new, fresh game, so we should have a new, fresh start. Those complaining about all the cars they will lose can rediscover each and every car with the new physics. I can only speak for myself, but if I had my garage transferred to GT6, I probably would not go back and drive every single car to see what's changed. They would collect dust just like they are now. IMO, this is a very good thing.

Buying the collector/signatur edition just so that you could transfer the special cars to GT6, is beyond stupid... I have the collectors edition myself, and I rather enjoy the Chromelines. But I still understand that they are exclusive to GT5.

That's why I'm not angry at PD. They most likely had to change something in the filesystem to prevent further hacking and now the stuff isn't compatible anymore.

I'm also sure that the new physics engine would mess up certain cars as well - the MAIN issue may be legitimacy of save files but that doesn't mean that it's the sole issue.

Buying the collector/signatur edition just so that you could transfer the special cars to GT6, is beyond stupid... I have the collectors edition myself, and I rather enjoy the Chromelines. But I still understand that they are exclusive to GT5.

Same here. Bought the CE and have the chromlines and a few stealths but I don't really care about this. Where does it say we are entitled to these cars beyond GT5?

Last edited:
So what? People run around with imaginary 1500hp rockets that defy gravity.

The problem with the DLC is in how it's being made available. They basically give it to everyone and it just awaits for a zero to be made into 1 for it to be usable.

Yeah, blame the manufacturer, not the thief.

Really?
Yes, really.
GT6 would really feel like GT5.5 if we picked up where we left off in GT5. It's a new, fresh game, so we should have a new, fresh start. Those complaining about all the cars they will lose can rediscover each and every car with the new physics. I can only speak for myself, but if I had my garage transferred to GT6, I probably would not go back and drive every single car to see what's changed. They would collect dust just like they are now. IMO, this is a very good thing.
It would be an option, so it wouldn't affect your game in any way.
Where did I say I bought it exclusively because of that?
I'm also sure that the new physics engine would mess up certain cars as well - the MAIN issue may be legitimacy of save files but that doesn't mean that it's the sole issue.

The cars would just run in the new engine. I'm not talking about setups or something, just the cars.

I don't see how it's the people that are at fault. They simply found a way around certain restrictions. PD should have either provided people what they wanted so they wouldn't resort to "hacks" or simply provide better "security" to the game's file system.
A while back, GTPlanet had a reputation system. You got a reputation-giving ability based on your activity and reputation points, and you got more reputation points by being more active and getting repped by people.

After a while it became apparent that a few members colluded to artificially enhance their reputation and reputation-giving ability, by repping each other incessantly - and to artificially deflate other users' reputation and reputation-giving ability, by "negrepping" them. We put in some limits - restrictions if you like - to prevent this kind of abuse, but it didn't stem the tide. We eventually removed the system.

Should we have just given in and let these people have what they wanted so they wouldn't resort to "hacks" to get round the site's restrictions? Were the individuals who colluded to break the system not at fault for the system becoming broken and ultimately removed?

What about when we remove members from the community? Are we to blame for their behaviour in abusing the site because our rules are restrictive? Are we to blame for them coming back and abusing the site more? Are we to blame for every half-arsed DDoS attempt they make?
If you bought a game, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it
... until it interferes with other users' experiences.

There's a reason why people get console bans for cheating, griefing and boorishness online - it affects other users' experiences. I don't play MW2 any more because it's full of cheats and griefers - and kids who scream about 🤬 your :censored:ing 🤬 you 🤬 (amazing how many of them have had sex with a 15 year old pile of cat litter). I haven't played GT5 online in a public lobby... ever, because of griefers and, latterly, cheats - there's no way to know if you've lost because someone's better or because they're cheating.

Games are entertainment. When your experience depends on the behaviour of others and you can't trust them to simply behave, there is no entertainment.

We, the GT community, have abused the game - and some of us have sought to justify it by blaming the game for being restrictive. It's our fault for doing so and the response from Polyphony has been to restrict it even further. Will we abuse the next game in the same manner for being even more restrictive?

What does it really matter in the end, you can go back and rebuild the car when the new game comes out. Furthermore, if they actually do the job they say they plan to do you'll be able to update it an make it better. I don't understand the continuity people expect from GT games as far as data shifts go, long time fans are use to having to build cars from the ground up through GT life mode and I thought that was the fun in playing.

I'm guessing PD should do this though, if people are willing to shell out 60 USD to just transfer information and then probably start playing online then work toward driving or getting what ever new cars and other features have been added. If it is the free DLC and other things online that are the concern, perhaps the blame should yet again be directed at Sony and not shelling out the money after several issues to make sure this doesn't keep happening.

Yeah, blame the manufacturer, not the thief.

Somebody trying to steal is a given. If you leave something valuable out with no supervision you already know it'll be stolen. You can blame the thief all you want but in the end, it's you who messed up since you could have easily prevented it using common sense.

It would be an option, so it wouldn't affect your game in any way.

It would definitely affect my game once I get online. I'd have to wait and collect a bunch of cars (or really just the most competitive ones) in order to compete. GT isn't a single player + split screen game anymore. We can't option for everything as much as we want it.

Somebody trying to steal is a given. If you leave something valuable out with no supervision you already know it'll be stolen. You can blame the thief all you want but in the end, it's you who messed up since you could have easily prevented it using common sense.
What an interesting point of view...

... I sincerely hope you don't actually believe that this is a valid argument in ANY situation.
It doesn't matter if I keep my Rolex on my table or in a safe, if someone steals it, they are a thief. Outright. No questions asked. Unless I say 'You can have my Rolex' then they are in the wrong.
Modifying save data is one thing - getting DLC for free is another. It doesn't MATTER if you only have to change a few values in a code or if you have to hire a professional code-breaker to get the DLC, you are STEALING.

A while back, GTPlanet had a reputation system. You got a reputation-giving ability based on your activity and reputation points, and you got more reputation points by being more active and getting repped by people.

After a while it became apparent that a few members colluded to artificially enhance their reputation and reputation-giving ability, by repping each other incessantly - and to artificially deflate other users' reputation and reputation-giving ability, by "negrepping" them. We put in some limits - restrictions if you like - to prevent this kind of abuse, but it didn't stem the tide. We eventually removed the system.

Should we have just given in and let these people have what they wanted so they wouldn't resort to "hacks" to get round the site's restrictions? Were the individuals who colluded to break the system not at fault for the system becoming broken and ultimately removed?

I don't think it's quite the same. The reputation system you describe is something specifically meant for people to "compete" with each other (if you will) and therefore any attempt to compromise it entirely ruins its purpose.

On the other hand, online cheating is only a small part of what the infamous GT5 hack offers. There are ways to combat just the cheating part (identifying the modified saves and restricting online access) without affecting the rest of the experience for those that choose to purse fun in a different way that doesn't affect other users in any way.

What about when we remove members from the community? Are we to blame for their behaviour in abusing the site because our rules are restrictive? Are we to blame for them coming back and abusing the site more? Are we to blame for every half-arsed DDoS attempt they make?

I also don't think this is the same. I think a more fitting example would be users ruining the experience of other users because you made a mistake in implementing certain features or not taking some simple steps to prevent them.

Or maybe users building their own reputation system outside of the site because you didn't didn't get around to making one after being told about it for a decade.

.. until it interferes with other users' experiences.

There's a reason why people get console bans for cheating, griefing and boorishness online - it affects other users' experiences. I don't play MW2 any more because it's full of cheats and griefers - and kids who scream about 🤬 your :censored:ing 🤬 you 🤬 (amazing how many of them have had sex with a 15 year old pile of cat litter). I haven't played GT5 online in a public lobby... ever, because of griefers and, latterly, cheats - there's no way to know if you've lost because someone's better or because they're cheating.

Games are entertainment. When your experience depends on the behaviour of others and you can't trust them to simply behave, there is no entertainment.

I agree but as I said above, there are ways to prevent cheating without completely ruining the fun.

We, the GT community, have abused the game - and some of us have sought to justify it by blaming the game for being restrictive. It's our fault for doing so and the response from Polyphony has been to restrict it even further. Will we abuse the next game in the same manner for being even more restrictive?

I don't see it as abuse. I see it as getting more value out of a product. It's something very common in the PC space that can indeed cause certain issues but with a little cooperation and understanding from the developer can become something great. Using an axe to fix the problems is never a good solution. It'll just be a few weeks/months until the new system is compromised too. Why not just work with people and instead and give them what they want?

... I sincerely hope you don't actually believe that this is a valid argument in ANY situation.
It doesn't matter if I keep my Rolex on my table or in a safe, if someone steals it, they are a thief. Outright. No questions asked. Unless I say 'You can have my Rolex' then they are in the wrong.
Modifying save data is one thing - getting DLC for free is another. It doesn't MATTER if you only have to change a few values in a code or if you have to hire a professional code-breaker to get the DLC, you are STEALING.

I don't recall saying the thiefs are in the right. The point I was trying to make is you should always keep certain things that always happen in mind rather than acting in a vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's quite the same. The reputation system you describe is something specifically meant for people to "compete" with each other (if you will) and therefore any attempt to compromise it entirely ruins its purpose.
See "online car racing".
On the other hand, online cheating is only a small part of what the infamous GT5 hack offers. There are ways to combat just the cheating part (identifying the modified saves and restricting online access) without affecting the rest of the experience for those that choose to purse fun in a different way that doesn't affect other users in any way.
The existence of hacked cars on its own affects users. The fact they exist at all means no-one can tell if they're playing a genuine game any more - see Call of Duty.

You just put in a restriction, by the way - restricting online access to those who run hacked cars. I thought you were against restrictions and pro-people hacking to beat them? When people hack their way round those restrictions, will PD be to blame for it?
I also don't think this is the same. I think a more fitting example would be users ruining the experience of other users because you made a mistake in implementing certain features or not taking some simple steps to prevent them.
Not really. You're talking about how restrictive the game is (like GTP's rules) and how it's good that people can get round them while still playing the game.

We ban these people and reban them whenever they show their faces, for the benefit of all our other users.
Or maybe users building their own reputation system outside of the site because you didn't didn't get around to making one after being told about it for a decade.
If you built your own cars outside of Gran Turismo, you wouldn't be playing Gran Turismo... We don't have a problem with people making their own forums, just as I'm sure PD won't have a problem with you making your own game.
I agree but as I said above, there are ways to prevent cheating without completely ruining the fun.
And as I said above, the existence of hacked cars ruins the fun for everyone - because, just as there are always thieves, there are always cheats. Your ways to prevent it include more restrictions - the very thing you're saying is a mistake on PD's behalf.
I don't see it as abuse. I see it as getting more value out of a product.
While taking value out of other people's products...
It's something very common in the PC space that can indeed cause certain issues but with a little cooperation and understanding from the developer can become something great. Using an axe to fix the problems is never a good solution. It'll just be a few weeks/months until the new system is compromised too. Why not just work with people and instead and give them what they want?
Then why not just work with PD and give them what they want?

Yes, you're right but if you leave it out in the open knowing that many people pass by that you don't know then you'd be a fool not to at least fathom the possibility of it being taken. Does this make it being taken right? Heck no. However, as police and justice officials in general will tell you, use common sense if you don't want to be a victim and I think that is what the other user is trying to suggest. I think most of us here have enough sense to not steal or go around the system to that extent and get free items we know aren't free (thus stealing), but others don't care.

Unrelated to the whole hacking cars issue but part of the appeal for me in GT is starting from scratch.

Online racing in GT5 is probably best experienced with a group of friends or a properly managed racing series,Hacking is wrong yes although I love seeing what the community does,maybe if PD allow things like realistic Engine swaps as well as removing spoilers and what not,then people might just stop hacking.

Back