BMW 1 Series M Coupe nominated by Beeblebrox237

ku-xlarge.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: 2011-June 2012
Style: 2-Door Coupe
Engine: 3.0L Twin Turbo I6 (335 HP)
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive

My Take: The premise is to take the M3, compact it, and see how fares. The results, impressive. The 1 Series is a decent car to look at anyway, and the M Division trinkets don't hurt. I say Cool

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Its a cool car but Damn that sticker price new is a massive IMHO $46+k!!? That alone stops it for being subzero.

Its a cool car but Damn that sticker price new is a massive IMHO $46+k!!? That alone stops it for being subzero.

Considering the sticker price on the E36 M3 was around $40k almost 20 years ago, I'd say it isn't a bad deal. Especially given how it performs.

Considering the sticker price on the E36 M3 was around $40k almost 20 years ago, I'd say it isn't a bad deal. Especially given how it performs.

You have a point at $40k in '96 adjusted for inflation today would be around $58k. I was more comparing it to other sport coupes on the market it is very much on the high side. But a epic little car for sure.

On paper it would be a Sub Zero from me, but considering it's the first ///M car that isn't naturally aspirated (apart from the X-series Ms), its styling is a bit too overwrought/awkward to love, and BMW decided to make it a limited production run despite being the best car they've built these days, the best I can give it is Cool.

Seriously uncool. It doesn't help that it's really not a pretty thing, but primarily it suffers from this:

• Anyone who sees you driving it will think that you are a berk.
  • They're going to think you're a berk who likes to pretend that they drive a car they can't afford. (ie. an M3)

Yeah...

It's a meh for me to be honest, they had insane markups and just am N54, might as well get a 335/135 and slap some m3 bits on that.

Easy, solid Sub Zero. I like the first gen 1-series a lot. If only they had offered this package with the 3-door hatch, making it modern interpretation of the Z3M coupe..

Unlike those Holdens we were discussing, this manages to be aggressive without appearing immature. Solid cool.

The E30 M3 had a MSRP of around $34,000 in the late 1980s. Adjusted for inflation, that's almost $64,000 now.

--

Decent looking little car with good performance to boot. Looks sporty but not gaudy. The only things preventing it from being sub zero is that it wears a M badge that's really only 75% M without the S motor, and the fact that it's a BMW.

Solid cool.

The regular standard cars are quite the hairdressers' cars. This looks like a hairdressers' car that's trying to shake off the image like a 50 year old trying to act like a 24 year old. Uncool.
But with the chassis, engine and handling and the fact it doesn't looking offensive, brings it up to Meh.

On paper it would be a Sub Zero from me, but considering it's the first ///M car that isn't naturally aspirated (apart from the X-series Ms), its styling is a bit too overwrought/awkward to love, and BMW decided to make it a limited production run despite being the best car they've built these days, the best I can give it is Cool.

I don't care if the engine isn't a pure breed M Gmbh engine.
I don't care it's based on a hair dresser car.
I don't care it looks like a pot-bellied pig.

But I am seriously raged at the limited number BMW made to try keep an artificial rarity to it.
I dislike the fact that used ones goes for the retail price but with 10000km on the clock, because it's "rare"

Cool.

I'd love to give it a S-Z, yes it was a bit of a parts bin special, with an N motor rather than an S, and all the M3 bits on it... but it worked, really, really well, and it gave a lot of buyers what they wanted, a great driving car that's pretty much as quick as an M3, without being as large or as heavy as an M3. I quite like the way it looks, although the 3 paint options weren't great.

Alas, the one person I know who has one is total penis. Taints it for me.

I gave it Cool. It's a 1-Series that doesn't bore you to death and has the M-Division magic that was missing for a while. £40k might be expensive for a 1-Series here but the Audi RS3 is the same price. This is a 21st century E30 M3 in all but name.

Uncool.

Alas, the one person I know who has one is total penis. Taints it for me.
For that reason. I don't know the person Matski knows, but fast BMWs are almost exclusively driven by tossers. It's probably a very capable and impressive car, but it's not cool.

Mmm this is a hard one I love BMW'S..but the 1M does not really do it for me..yes it's quick, handles great and all that..but it's not pretty at all..unlike the original BMW E30 M3, so Meh

It's serious but doesn't shout it, like something from Ferrari. But that BMW badge gives it discretion on how it says it. It doesn't shout, it simply makes small talk and it reveals something people start raving about.

For that reason, I think it's cool.

Uncool.

For that reason. I don't know the person Matski knows, but fast BMWs are almost exclusively driven by tossers. It's probably a very capable and impressive car, but it's not cool.
We no longer own an E39, so the almost isn't needed :D

Excluding the M1, the original M cars were so subtlely different from their mundane brethren and sistren that you wouldn't notice. The 1M looks like someone took an axe to it and this one's orange. The black one from the back looks like Darth Vader trying to pass a glorious dump.

Ugly, unsubtle, expensive and BMW. No contest seriously uncool.

Uncool.

Very true, its a pretentious person magnet for sure.

Sub Zero.

A car like this leaves the new M1 and M2 with some really big shoes to fill!

(And considering the M135i almost makes the same power, the new M1 and M2 will most definitely be awesome!)

Meh from me. No BMWs really do it for me since the late 80s, with the exception of the 8 series. To me they all look the same, and kinda "safe" in their umpteen yawnsome variations. I really don't get how people go nuts over blah blah 199* E** M* etc etc.

They are solid very well engineered cars but to me only that, and there are so many of them here and yes a lot of them do seem to be driven by a certain kind of person. Not a slight on the cars themselves, but doesn't help either.

Back