• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Ford Torino Cobra "Drag Pack" nominated by Slashfan

twister0011.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1970
Style: 2-door Fastback
Engine: 7.0L V8 (Factory Rated at 375 HP. Estimated to be closer to 500 HP)
Transmission: 4-Speed Manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive.

My Take: Don't have one right now.

Wikipedia: Torino

Until I figure out what to do with the Wall, including bury it, nominations are closed.​

Last edited:
Drag pack 429SCJ stock had 494hp and 503 lb-ft of torque as confirmed by this video. The stock 429 was rated 375. Read the description:

Dyno Results - 1970 DRAG PACK Cobra Torino 429 SCJ - 11-01-2010

The goal was to see what kind of power a freshened bone stock 429 SCJ Drag Pack motor made from the factory. All of the pieces of this engine are either original equipment or factory correct replacements. Engine will be returned to an 18,000 original mile factory drag pack Cobra Torino currently undergoing a complete restoration for a Concours d'Elegance 1970 Cobra Drag Pack Torino by Glenn Vaughn Restoration in Post Falls, ID - (208) 773-3525

HP AVG: 4500-6300 = 474.2HP Peak = 493.6 @ 6000 rpm
Torque AVG: 464.2 FT-LBS Peak = 503 ft-lbs @ 4600 rpm

Special Thanks To:

Ed Nereaux Racing Engines - Post Falls, ID (208) 777-1085
HRD Cylinder Heads - Uncle "Al" Dickson (208) 762-9600 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (208) 762-9600 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

This was a pinnacle of muscle cars, on of the greatest, a name that did great in NASCAR in previous years, became a legend of it's own, had a ton of power, and just overall eye candy. Sub zero for me, but you could have seen that coming.

I read the description, but until I find something in writing that states that it came with more, all I will do is put "rated at" up top.

Why the link to the Boss 429? The 429 SCJ was a HP version of the "regular" 429 NOT a version of the BOSS 429. Its a cool car for sure but I cannot post up subzero.

Why the link to the Boss 429? The 429 SCJ was a HP version of the "regular" 429 NOT a version of the BOSS 429. Its a cool car for sure but I cannot post up subzero.

Read the article, it mentions the SCJ. I'll pull an excerpt (copypasta):

Wikipedia
The 429 Drag Pack from Ford at the time (which was a normal 429 SCJ and not the Boss version which made more power) had 495 horsepower (369 kW). The manufacturers and dealers only listed 375 hp (280 kW) because of legal issues and rising insurance costs so customers would be lured into buying these cars without the stiff fees from an insurance company.[2]

This was the source given:

Strange, Stephen B. Boss 429 Performance Mustang Style (Revised Edition). Motorbooks International, ISBN 0-931417-02-3.

Cool. If it were a '68 or '72 I'd be tempted to vote sub-zero, since I've always found the '70 Torino styling to be a bit more bland. :indiff:

Uncool. Only the paintjob with the stripes saves it from the Seriously Uncool.

The car is cool. Solidly cool.

Unfortunately... cars like this always:
which are desperately uncool. The long winded "I know more about [engine code] [year] than you" arguing that inevitably follows is so boring as to be actually harmful to car culture.

You know what I'd think if I saw one of these in the street? I'd think "cool". I wouldn't think "Oh, if only it was a 1927 model with the 828i Fellatio stroker and the optional factory MegaCheese tranny" and then comb over it to ensure it's a numbers-matched original - but there's enough people who do to drag this down.

The car is cool. Solidly cool.

Unfortunately... cars like this always:which are desperately uncool. The long winded "I know more about [engine code] [year] than you" arguing that inevitably follows is so boring as to be actually harmful to car culture.

You know what I'd think if I saw one of these in the street? I'd think "cool". I wouldn't think "Oh, if only it was a 1927 model with the 828i Fellatio stroker and the optional factory MegaCheese tranny" and then comb over it to ensure it's a numbers-matched original - but there's enough people who do to drag this down.

I do have a tendency to do that :/

You are by no means alone - this type of car attracts this type of enthusiast. Lengthy discussions about pairs (usually years) and triplets (usually engine displacement) of numbers and a selection of niche abbreviations and nouns aren't cool - whether it's a '70 429 SCJ or a '98 A80 2JZ-GTE.

Oh dear, it attracts those of a dirty fingernails persuasion? Talking about chassis numbers and engine block build dates?

Shame. Because it looks menacing.

Still voted cool.

You are by no means alone - this type of car attracts this type of enthusiast. Lengthy discussions about pairs (usually years) and triplets (usually engine displacement) of numbers and a selection of niche abbreviations and nouns aren't cool - whether it's a '70 429 SCJ or a '98 A80 2JZ-GTE.

Well that's how they came from the factory :lol: Blame Ford for that abbreviation haha. I just happen to find things like that neat. All depends on how you look at it though. I respect your views. 👍

Uncool. This car is a one trick pony and that trick is doing the quarter-mile. Plus, the '72 Torino is much cooler than this.

The long winded "I know more about [engine code] [year] than you" arguing that inevitably follows is so boring as to be actually harmful to car culture.

Especially when it continues to perpetuate long held misinformation.

Meh. It's a muscle car, which I don't think is cool at all. I also agree with these kinds of cars attracting comments about who knows more about what, and that's not cool either. However, the car at least looks a little interesting and isn't something I normally see, so that's sorted cool.

To me, there are only two cool muscle cars that I can think of off the top of my head, and both of those are technically pony cars. This is neither of them.

It's a classic muscle car, so Sub-Zero from me by default.
By the way, guys, how much does this thing cost in its homeland?

Restored, model depending, anywhere between $40,000-$75,000. Unrestored and project cars go from $500-$5,000 and a decent example around $20,000. There is a huge range.

Last edited:
Mixed.

Yeah I guess I kind of like it, but always seen it as a 'wannabe' chasing the bigger ponies.
Though after reading the stats & figures I was doubting my feelings, then realised that this is the only model in the Torino's history that looks any good.

...Meh.

Voted "meh". I like big, classic muscle cars and their huge V8s. But... I don't know. When I picture a cool muscle car, it's generally not the Torino. Part of the coolness of a muscle car (to me) is that, even over here, they're pretty iconic. The Torino, though, isn't a commonly known car. Might be a non-factor for most of you, but to me, it kinda is, so...

If I saw or heard one of these go by, I'd call it cool. So that's what I voted. Looks good, and has an absurdly large engine, doesn't look good enough for sub zero IMO, but it's definitely cool.

Well since FF made it a villian car and turned it into a cool one. Also thanks to Clint (Eastwood) for further making it cool in the same year...yeah I voted this cool.

Back