• Thread starter thefraggle
  • 28 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United Kingdom
Guildford
GTP_thefraggle
Soooooo then........

I have my PS4 ordered and have had confirmation for a release day delivery. GT6 is released the Friday afterwards. This is clearly not a great thing in my life however I am not about to jump on either of the releases and say its terrible. Both are great!! I am currently trying to work out the best way to go about getting GT6. I have had all the others on day of release and this will be no different. Just throwing this out there and I know some are highly unlikely but....

*Buy GT6 on PS3 and keep the PS3/4 running along side each other (I will only be keeping the PS3 active for this one game)

* Buy it through the PSN knowing I will probably pay more than I would if I bought the BR disk version and hope I can DL and install it on the PS4

* Buy it on BR disk and hope it is one of the games I can get a code for and pay an amount and port it over to the PS4.

What does everyone think about this?

First world problem right there.

GT6 will not be on the PS4, at all. If you want to play it you're going to need to keep your PS3 running.

GT6 will not be on the PS4, at all. If you want to play it you're going to need to keep your PS3 running.

Yep.

So the problem is pretty easy to solve, there's really only one option.

I understand where you are coming from but we don't know it wont be something I can buy through the store on my ps4. Still the PS3 version but running on the PS4. They have said old titles will be coming that way. A solid answer can only be given when both unit are available.

First world problem right there.

LOL, here in Brazil nobody has a clue about the price of the PS4, and GT6 too, for that matter: you can't pre-order the game in Brazil at the moment.

In Argentina, a single PS4 costs US$ 1140.

Soooooo then........

I have my PS4 ordered and have had confirmation for a release day delivery. GT6 is released the Friday afterwards. This is clearly not a great thing in my life however I am not about to jump on either of the releases and say its terrible. Both are great!! I am currently trying to work out the best way to go about getting GT6. I have had all the others on day of release and this will be no different. Just throwing this out there and I know some are highly unlikely but....

*Buy GT6 on PS3 and keep the PS3/4 running along side each other (I will only be keeping the PS3 active for this one game)

* Buy it through the PSN knowing I will probably pay more than I would if I bought the BR disk version and hope I can DL and install it on the PS4

* Buy it on BR disk and hope it is one of the games I can get a code for and pay an amount and port it over to the PS4.

What does everyone think about this?

The only way you'll be able to play gt6 on the ps4 is through the gaikai (spelling?) service where you can stream playing ps3 games. However, we have no details on this and since it just came out on the ps3, with such a large install base, I'll go out on a limb and say it won't be available on gaikai for a very long time.

Option 1 is your only option at this point, sorry to say.

Jerome

I understand where you are coming from but we don't know it wont be something I can buy through the store on my ps4. Still the PS3 version but running on the PS4. They have said old titles will be coming that way. A solid answer can only be given when both unit are available.

Sony have said a 'selection' of PS3 titles will be made available for Gaikai streaming in 2014, in the US. The whole Gaikai platform does not even have a European release date let alone confirmation GT6 will be available on the platform any time soon.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/19/gaikai-to-stream-ps3-games-to-ps4-in-2014-yoshida-confirms/

The PS4 does not have hardware back compatibility with PS3, Gaikai is the only option. So, unless you want to wait until late next year at the earliest, you're going to be playing on your PS3.

The important information to know is this. Even if GT6 does appear on gaikai, it will be of lesser quality than GT6 on the PS3. Primarily due to lag. Even is its only small numbers of microseconds, it will be there. If you have a PS3 the decision is easy.

The important information to know is this. Even if GT6 does appear on gaikai, it will be of lesser quality than GT6 on the PS3. Primarily due to lag. Even is its only small numbers of microseconds, it will be there. If you have a PS3 the decision is easy.

Image quality as well. I don't think they've given out the final specs but expect it to be 720p at around 5Mbps. Youtube sort of quality.

Try treating your PS4 like it's a PC, it's the more powerful one but doesn't have all the console exclusives. The PS3 is there for that, for the time being.

Image quality as well. I don't think they've given out the final specs but expect it to be 720p at around 5Mbps. Youtube sort of quality.

I dont think the image will be too bad. If it is 720p then it would be in the GT6 720p mode(which i'm presuming it might have like GT5) and so have the increased Anti Aliasing over the 1080p mode.
But I would have thought in 2014 and in US only a 1080p stream game is practical.
I think you only need a consistent 10mbps download for that, though it would be compressed with artefacts compared to a direct feed? Just like streaming HD tv is.

Yes you're essentially streaming a video, that's why I said expect video quality similar to Youtube in HD. It won't be anywhere close to playing the actual game locally.

Agreed. And when I was thinking of good stream data speed it would be at 30fps not 60fps. So that needs looking at too. So maybe 720p@60fps is the best it could do, in the short term.

GT6 was bought last night through shop to. Same place I got my PS4. I have spent far far to much money with them for that week!!!

Optimistic thoughts with this clearly were never going to help me out!

TBH I know nothing about the streaming service. Havent read anything about it and tbh really isnt much interest to me either.

LOL, here in Brazil nobody has a clue about the price of the PS4, and GT6 too, for that matter: you can't pre-order the game in Brazil at the moment.

In Argentina, a single PS4 costs US$ 1140.

Like a good PC.

Yes you're essentially streaming a video, that's why I said expect video quality similar to Youtube in HD. It won't be anywhere close to playing the actual game locally.

Youtube in 720p HD is good though, although you're probably wrong, my guess is that there will be a few stream options to help the people with slow internet stream gameplay in lower quality but in a short time period, while allowing a 1080p HD Stream aswell, expect the streaming to be laggy at first people, everything needs several updates these days.

Haha, same here!

I've also gone through Shopto, got my GT6 order paid for and I'll be getting my KZ bundle at launch for PS4.

I think GT6 will keep me going till at least Project Cars/GT7 comes out on PS4 so for mr driving fix I don't really have any other option.

I also want TLOU SP DLC and SouthPark Stick of Truth which as far as I can see is PS3 only so there's still a decent amount of life left in the console.

Haha, same here!

I've also gone through Shopto, got my GT6 order paid for and I'll be getting my KZ bundle at launch for PS4.

I think GT6 will keep me going till at least Project Cars/GT7 comes out on PS4 so for mr driving fix I don't really have any other option.

I also want TLOU SP DLC and SouthPark Stick of Truth which as far as I can see is PS3 only so there's still a decent amount of life left in the console.

Uhh... That's Project CARS is not release to PS4, but only on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 accord to SMS.

Uhh... That's Project CARS is not release to PS4, but only on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 accord to SMS.

A decision is currently being made what console to release it on. Whilst that decision is yet to be made the members are generally swinging towards a PS4 and XONE release.

WOW, just WOW....I am amazed at the sheer ignorance here. Do you even know how streaming works>? Before sony bought gaikai, you were able to play Crysis PC version on a tablet...and it ran and looked outstanding...It wont be bad image quality with gaikai.. WOW. ps3 games will look the same with gaikai. Most ps3 games are 720p as it is. Gaikai is capable od 1080P, and can run with fairly low bandwidth. Research is your friend.

WOW, just WOW....I am amazed at the sheer ignorance here. Do you even know how streaming works>? Before sony bought gaikai, you were able to play Crysis PC version on a tablet...and it ran and looked outstanding...It wont be bad image quality with gaikai.. WOW. ps3 games will look the same with gaikai. Most ps3 games are 720p as it is. Gaikai is capable od 1080P, and can run with fairly low bandwidth. Research is your friend.
I'm more worried about latency.

No they won't. There is no way a compressed H.264 videostream can look as good as a direct video output.

It's not compressed, again, research is your friend. Again, gaikai was a working product before Sony bought it, and the graphics were the same.

I think you'll find research is your friend. It is most certainly compressed.

I'm aware Gaikai was running before Sony bought it and to say the graphics were the same is not true. They were good and better than OnLive but they weren't the same as the originals.

Nice edit. From that article:

There's a bit of video compression artifacting, especially around floating text, but it still made for a fairly pretty game -- imagine looking at a beautiful picture through a slight haze.

Like I said, good but not the same as local gaming. Also you claimed I was wrong with 5Mbps at 720p earlier and by golly what does it say they recommend in that article:

Perry says you'll need about a 5Mbps connection to stream at 720p, but the latency requirements can be a bit more stringent.

If you think the human eye can't notice compression in H.264 at less than 10Mbps then again, time for you to do research. There is a reason Blu-Ray video at 30Mbps+ looks better than Youtube at 5Mbps.

I think you'll find research is your friend. It is most certainly compressed.

I'm aware Gaikai was running before Sony bought it and to say the graphics were the same is not true. They were good and better than OnLive but they weren't the same as the originals.

From the article:

"Despite the locked visual settings, the image quality was comparable to that of a modern game console"

The graphics were pretty much identical, deny all you want read the article. This was in just the BETA, it improved after.

What slight diff there might be, no one will notice.

Again this is just the beta, the service is vastly better now then it was during the beta in 2011.

Except they did notice it, it says so in that same article.

I repeat:

"Despite the locked visual settings, the image quality was comparable to that of a modern game console"

This was a beta in 2011...........it's even better now, and will continue to get better.

I repeat:

This was a beta in 2011...........it's even better now, and will continue to get better.

There's a bit of video compression artifacting, especially around floating text, but it still made for a fairly pretty game -- imagine looking at a beautiful picture through a slight haze.

Seriously you don't know a lot about video if you think even a 10Mbps H.264 stream will look exactly the same as a direct feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back