GTP Cool Wall: 1963-1981 Mercedes-Benz 600 (W100)

1963-1981 Mercedes-Benz 600 (W100)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1963-1981 Mercedes-Benz 600 (W100) nominated by Liquid

mercedes-benz-600-1.jpg

Stats:

Production: 1963-1981
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: 386ci (6332cc) naturally aspirated V8 (rated 246 [250?] HP)
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive​

My take? Hard to say, actually. I think cars built for sheer luxury and nothing else and cool and uncool at the same time, with neither one being able to win by a significant degree. Some other things are pushing this car toward Uncool for me, but somehow I still think it's actually cool. Might end up being Meh for me, seeing as how I use Meh as a dumping ground for cars whose cool and uncool attributes cancel each other.

In other words, I have no constructive advice at this juncture.

Last edited:
Absolutely cool, possibly Sub Zero. This is one of the cars that gave Mercedes it's hewn-from-granite reputation, long before the 90's introduced building models to a price (hello C-Class), the 00's were spent finding niches within niches, and the 2010's gave way to styling that looks like Chinese copyright infringements of Mercedes models.

I don't really find this Mercedes very remarkable. Is it distinctive? Yes. Would I be drooling over one if I saw it? Nope.

Very few German luxury cars really do anything for me. Something about this just seems incredibly "blah" to me.

MEH

This car is absolutely cool. It oozes class, is an icon of an era, and it is downright unmistakable. There was also a "big block" version with close to 400 horses. Sub Zero.

Absolutely Subzero. Even when it's being used to chauffeur an African dictator around.

A great luxury car that oozes German class, but since Clarkson owns one, that bumps it off from Sub-Zero down to Cool.

No bare carbon fiber?
No LEDs?
No 20 inch mutant spider wheels?
Not even sporty exhaust?

Wow this one is just too easy.
Sub-freaking-zero.

It's an old German car built just for luxury and it does it well like the German stuff has always done. It's not a bad looking car either.

Easily cool.

This car is absolutely cool. It oozes class, is an icon of an era, and it is downright unmistakable. There was also a "big block" version with close to 400 horses. Sub Zero.

I agree..it's not flashy or showy but it still makes an impressive statement:tup:

Instant sub-zero. One of my dream cars. I absolutely love this thing - it is so sexy!

*Insert stupid Clarkson dictator quote here* Really though this thing oozes cool. Sub-Zero.

Maybe its the blue collar upbringing speaking but a huge expensive Merc is just not cool and the fact its loved by 3rd word dictators gives it more uncool points. (Awaits hate on this comment)

Certainly imposing, not unlike the Chaika. But without the 50s American styling and questionable build quality. An equally distinctive design while remaining comparably subtle, though it doesn't change the fact that it was nearly 18 feet long.

Regardless of the sizable roster of dictators who owned one, it's cool.

Meh. As a car it's actually kind of cool, but it gets downgraded to a "meh" because I'm not communista simpatico.

Overengineered to the point of insanity, hydraulic EVERYTHING, self-levelling air suspension, and there are only 2,677 of them. A Maybach has nothing on this. This car is the definition of style.

The choice for pop stars and despots worldwide.

Zero degrees Kelvin.

It has a certain elegance to it that I like, imposing without being at all brash or ostentatious. (Unless you put flags on the bonnet, which immediately drops it to seriously uncool because that's what having a car with a flag flying from it does.)

Sub-Zero.

Sub-zero. Well and truly.

This is one of the cars that gave Mercedes it's hewn-from-granite reputation, long before the 90's introduced building models to a price (hello C-Class), the 00's were spent finding niches within niches, and the 2010's gave way to styling that looks like Chinese copyright infringements of Mercedes models.

Excellent points well made.

I'll give it a cool. Nice amount of power, got a classic old school look to it. Only thing holding me back from sub zero is it isn't aggressive enough for me to feel like I could rock that ride.

Nothing wrong with German engineering, even this early Mercedes stuff.

Sub-zero

Car of choice for the wealthy, famous and diabolical.

So famous that some people still refer to the top of the line Mercedes as the 600. This exudes class like no one's business.

Lord Kelvin's Ice Box.

Keeping them road worthy is a major pain in the butt. I can still dream the diagrams of the hydraulic system. For that I'll give it a cool instead of a sub zero.

Want a sub zero ancient Merc? Take this instead :

300SEL63_1.jpg

Same engine, lighter car.
Or this :

mercedes-benz-450-sel-6.9-01.jpg

Even bigger engine. 6.9L.

I'll give it a cool. Nice amount of power, got a classic old school look to it. Only thing holding me back from sub zero is it isn't aggressive enough for me to feel like I could rock that ride.

My thoughts exactly.

Cool from me, nearly SZ, because I really like any Mercs from before the 90s when they mostly got rather bland IMHO. Also it rocks a huge engine, which always seemed unusual for a 70s German car, and kinda cool. Enjoy driving this in Forza 4.

Back