Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Seriously Uncool

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive nominated by The Stig Farmer

2013-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-AMG-Coupe-Electric-Drive-front-three-quarter-1024x640.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2013
Style: 2-door coupe
"Engine": 4 electric motors (one per wheel) with torque vectoring. Liquid-cooled 400 V lithium-ion battery rated to 60 kWh (740 HP & 740 lb-ft)
Layout: All-wheel drive

My take? I don't care how fast or tech'd up it is, this is Cimmaron level uncool. They've taken something that's supposed to be loud, fast, and obnoxious, a supercar, and made it quiet and environmentally freindly. NOT COOL MB!

Sub Zero. Because it fixes the biggest problem regular version has, and that would be the lack of traction. Also, the paintjob is cool.

Sub-Zero. It shows that just because we have electric power-trains it doesn't mean the performance car is dead. I mean look at all that horsepower.

Also it upsets people who don't understand electric cars are the future and I enjoy watching them make fools of themselves repeatedly.

Seriously uncool from me. It's just a pointless willy-waving exercise.

"Look how much power we can get from our electric motors!"

"But it can't even do 2 laps of the Nordschleife flat out before it runs out of juice. And then takes 20 hours, at 220V, to recharge again."

Yes, in the world of electric cars, it's something they have to try in order to improve the breed, but it's pointless attempting to sell it as it is.

Yes, you lose that wonderful exhaust note. Also, it's heavier and doesn't have the range of the standard version. But two words overrule all of that: Torque. Vectoring. Yeah, I voted sub-zero.

Cool due to being let down by the ghastly paint. This showcases the future of supercars and should stand proud alongside it's hybrid rivals from Ferrari, Mclaren and Porsche. Supercars will not die and this is part of the logical step towards the next generation.

Uncool.

The electric part is cool. The big, brash, zillion pound chunk of performance car is the seriously uncool bit.

Seriously uncool.

All that power comes at a very steep price, $500,000.

Also, it's electric. Batteries won't last long when using all the power and it takes 20 hours to recharge, even at 220 volts.

Any car with a 120 mile range is uncool. It being a powerful supercar, driving as it should be driven will no doubt drop the number to next to nothing. Which makes it seriously uncool, even before we get to the price and the UAE paint job.

Meh.

The torque vectoring is cool, and the fact it is an SLS is cool.

However, the powertrain is a double-edged sword for coolness. On the one hand, a greener future where performance cars still exist is cool. On the other, the M156 V8 is such a masterpiece of an engine that it's very uncool to remove it. Also the incredibly vibrant paint is a little harsh on the eyes. I like the yellow though.

high performance Mercedes that isn't a wagon = bleh
Ugliest Mercedes of the last years = Uncool
Electric stuff = Cool

bleh

On the one hand it's not as uncool as the standard SLS.

On the other hand, it's still an SLS.

Seriously Uncool.

See Famine's post for more details.

Sub Zero for me but purely as an R&D project as Chris points out in the video. The torque vectoring technology is superb and paving the way for us to still enjoy super and hypercars way into the future, although the principal behind it does seem to be a no-brainer, in isolation.

All cars like this are going the wrong way for the performance car industry. Manual is almost dead. We dont need combustion engines dead aswell. Seriously uncool.

I think the point is that eventually we may have no choice regarding the death of combustion engines? But you know, enough people are sticking their fingers in their ears "la la la not listening" and that will just make it happen sooner ;)

Chrome paint, people.

Uncool.

Also, super cars are uncool anyways. Being electric helps this car's case.

All cars like this are going the wrong way for the performance car industry. Manual is almost dead. We dont need combustion engines dead aswell. Seriously uncool.

Combustion engines aren't going to die anytime soon. Supercars of the future need to keep up with technology advancements whether it means going with hybrid or electric drive. The technology behind EVs, especially with fast EVs, is getting better every year. The future of performance motoring isn't as bleak as some naysayers claim.

AudiMan2011
Combustion engines aren't going to die anytime soon. Supercars of the future need to keep up with technology advancements whether it means going with hybrid or electric drive. The technology behind EVs, especially with fast EVs, is getting better every year. The future of performance motoring isn't as bleak as some naysayers claim.

I understand that but personally i think that ruins the fun of it and if a supercar isnt fun what is the point of having it altogether? :-)

I understand that but personally i think that ruins the fun of it and if a supercar isnt fun what is the point of having it altogether? :-)
supercars are about much more than just being fun, any car can be fun I the right environment, of course some more than others. My point is that supercars are about being just that, super, amazing, innovative, technological and polarizing. That said I do prefer internal combustion engines but I am 100% sure electric cars can be very, very fun. I haven't even driven an electric car outside a power wheels but I have no doubt in my mind it has the potential to be good fun.

Cars like this aren't even performance cars though. In that niche, it's made obsolete by the gas version. It's electric for the sake of electric. I see no point in this car.

Ugly Paintjob. :yuck: BUT... the concept of a completely enviorement-friendly, 0 emitions supercar that doesn't look bland or completely stupid while keeping the power, top speed and performance of petrol powered ones... for me, it's a giant leap in the righ direction... :)

Cool Merc

supercars are about much more than just being fun, any car can be fun I the right environment, of course some more than others. My point is that supercars are about being just that, super, amazing, innovative, technological and polarizing. That said I do prefer internal combustion engines but I am 100% sure electric cars can be very, very fun. I haven't even driven an electric car outside a power wheels but I have no doubt in my mind it has the potential to be good fun.

This 👍 !!!! +1000

Crazy colors to try and attract that kind of attention is uncool. The electric drive is cool.

So a even meh from me.

Electric is cool and all but it ain't got a motor so seriously uncool.

Tough one this, it's a fairly irrelevant to either the world of supercars, or electric cars... but I bet it's massive fun for the few miles until the battery runs out.

I like that Merc are trying to promote electric vehicles and everything, but they don't seem to have even bothered trying to make something that's particularly good at doing what it should.

I would go M'eh, since the good bits help to cancel the bad, but it's also an SLS, which, I've grown tired off. So, Uncool it is.

Back