GTP Cool Wall: 1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII nominated by Badasp5.0

Image-of-Lincoln-Mark-VIII-dark-green.jpg

190243d1248978243-1998-lincoln-mark-viii-lsc-collectors-edition-1998cemarkviii058.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1993-1998
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 281ci (4.6L) naturally aspirated V8 (rated 280 HP & 285 lb-ft in base model, 290 HP and 290 lb-ft in LSC model)
Transmission: 4R70W 4-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive​

My take? Seriously uncool. I'm not entirely on board with the styling, and the dashboard is goofy-looking. Plus, an automatic-transmission luxury car is almost guaranteed to be boring.

Somehow, though, the Mustang GT couldn't match its power output until 2005, despite sharing the same basic engine after 1996 or so. My guess is that the SN95 and SN99 GTs were either underrated or detuned to protect the superiority of the SVT Cobra models, while the Mark VIII was unlikely to be cross-shopped with them, so could come much closer to their level of output.

Lincoln Continental? The Panther? Sub-ze... oh... that thing? Seriously, incredibly uncool.

It wasn't a bad car and I always liked the way they looked, but it's not a cool car. Plus now days all I see driving them are trashy people and want-to-be gangsters which doesn't help it's cause.

It's a bit sad that I'm seemingly the only one to really REALLY like this car, I loooove the looks of it and even the interior. I'd rock one.

Sub Zero. Always loved them.

Almost bought one before I got my GTP. Air suspension scared me away.

I wanted to vote cool because something about that car appeals in me in a vague kind of way, but I couldn't be bothered to figure out what it was. It's all right, I guess. I don't dislike it.

Meh.

I bet with a few mods, it would be a pretty good car. *Channelling my inner Slashfan*

Seriously uncool. It's a 90's American luxury barge with awful styling and no class whatsoever. It gains a few points for being a V8 FR car, and for having a wraparound dash, but then it loses them again with the horrible fake wood and the fact that it looks like a blob.

Somehow, though, the Mustang GT couldn't match its power output until 2005, despite sharing the same basic engine after 1996 or so. My guess is that the SN95 and SN99 GTs were either underrated or detuned to protect the superiority of the SVT Cobra models, while the Mark VIII was unlikely to be cross-shopped with them, so could come much closer to their level of output.

Its because the '96 to '04 Mustang GT has the SOHC 2 valve per cylinder version of the 4.6 and the Cobra had the DOHC 4 valve per cylinder version. The '05 to '10 GT had a 3 valve per cylinder 4.6. I always love people who think since the engine is the same displacement it must be exactly the same. Plus the MarkVIII got the DOHC 4.6 3 years before the Cobra did.

The MarkVIII is cool because it can be made into a sleeper. Everyone thinks its a old guy car which it is but It has some potential. You can even swap in a 5speed from a '05 to '10 Mustang GT.

But maybe its the American "hot rodder" in me who looks at cars not as a final product but as a 80% product that is up to me to modify to suit my needs and use.

Almost bought one before I got my GTP. Air suspension scared me away.
Same here, but it turns out you can swap in MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar springs for the airbags. Heck they even make lowering springs for those!

Last edited:
Giant presumably FWD whale. Meh...

Its RWD with IRS...

Its in that stats the OP posted...

Stats:
Production: 1993-1998
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 281ci (4.6L) naturally aspirated V8 (rated 280 HP & 285 lb-ft in base model, 290 HP and 290 lb-ft in LSC model)
Transmission: 4R70W 4-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive

Last edited:
Meh, it was somewhat innovative for its time. LED lighting, xenon bulbs, tons of then-impressive technogagetry for its day. Air suspension costs a mint to repair, half mint to replace to standard. 90% of these cars look like trash because of it now. An "SC 500" for its time, although the Mark VI LSC appeared a decade before, but a little too feminine-looking for my tastes.

I think there's always been some potential for making a real sleeper out of it, since it seems to have all the right ingredients (just a Thunderbird underneath) but never seen that put into action in real life. (Unless it's your car, don't bother with photos, I can Google, too.)

Custom878
Giant presumably FWD whale. Meh...

Thirty seconds of research might actually cause you to like something. Or be correct.

Last edited:
Same here, but it turns out you can swap in MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar springs for the airbags. Heck they even make lowering springs for those!

I knew that, but at the time I was a poor college kid.

I liked the air suspension when it worked. My dad had it on his '92 Continental. Very smooth ride, but it makes one heck of a loud explosion when it blows!

I was thinking Uncool at first but have gone for Meh. It's obnoxious, even a little grotesque, which I actually like sometimes, but somehow it goes about this in a kinda boring way. Meh.

I'll just explain my thought process here.
  • See thread title
  • Blink
  • Try to recall what the car even looks like
  • Blink again
  • Take a sip of coffee
  • Blink
  • Nope
  • Open thread
  • See car
  • Blink again
  • Seriously Uncool

Kinda like an attempt at a 'posher' Camry. Bad looks (IMO), terrible interior make it...

...seriously uncool.

Also came as a limited edition convertible:

20130824_115459_State%2520Highway%252031.jpg

I also think the earlier styling in general looks much better.

Not from the factory, those MarkVIIIs were done by Aftermarket company Coach Builders INC IIRC.
I do agree the earlier ones look a lot better.

Lincoln-Continental-Mark-VIII.jpg

I have to imagine a convertible version of that car would be extremely floppy.

Back