Logitech wheels FAQ

• Thread starter CloneHead
  • 31 comments
Originally posted by CloneHead
The nice people at wingmanteam.com have put together a FAQ about the Logitech wheels and PS2. It also gives details on how to enable and configure the wheels in the supported games.
Thank's I've been looking for something like this. :cheers:

All without engagement !

Here is a connecting diagram from the Logitech GT Force Pedal-Unit.
pedal_verkabelung_gt-force-2.jpg

A connecting diagram from the Logitech GT Force Push-Buttons.
logi-kabel.gif

I was just wondering if anyone here has actually ever used a logitech wheel. I heard from some people it is easier and some said it was harder to play the game with.

Originally posted by DoomsDayDevice4
I was just wondering if anyone here has actually ever used a logitech wheel. I heard from some people it is easier and some said it was harder to play the game with.

Run a quick search on 'Logitech' (see the search function up the top left) - the wheel has been the subject of quite a lot of debate here. I use and swear by the GT Force wheel - the force-feedback adds much more realism, in my opinion.

I am, of course, a total spaz with the DSII...

I bought the Logitech Wheel 6 months ago and have been dabbling with it for some time and i finally have gotten the jist of it very good product.

Thought I'd try asking in this thread too.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram, or any advice on wiring for the Driving Force wheel with the extra buttons (D-pad, X, circle, square, triangle)? I want to add a sequential shift, and move the other buttons off the wheel so I can modify various parts. It was suggested Werner might be able to help, but I've had no reply yet. Can anyone else help me?

so then, i could make a shifter using this (the L2 R2) You know an up and down shift, or could somebody give me the controls so i can have a 6 speed?

I was surfing on the EBWORLD website, and I noticed that the brand new logitech wheel is being released on dec. 1st!

and I believe this is the steering wheel wtih 900 degrees of rotation....

I just got back into playing GT3 (Yeah! I know..why would someone EVER put this game down but I'll tell you, Pro Race Driver is REALLY SWEET) but in any case..I use the logitech wheel that was specifically designed for the PS2 and I've just been having a hell of a time trying to get the wheel calibrated correctly so that actually when in a 'game', the wheel doesn't want to pull to one side.

Meaning, when I do calibrate the wheel, I set it up so it's dead straight..but when the game loads, the wheel all of a sudden calibrates itself so 'straight' to it actualy puts my hands, normally at 9 & 3 is now set at 1 & 7..(think of the hands on a clock and you'll know what I mean)

anyone got any ideas? I've tried unplugging the wheel and turning off the game and of couse unplugging everything and than restarting but nothing works...

TIA for any and all suggestions..

Lates...
Tek

Hey Tek,

I have a Driving Force, and whenever I start up GT3 (from power-off state), I need to calibrate the wheel. I have to do this EVERY time (some newer games like Need for Speed and Burnout 2 auto-calibrates for you).

It may sound troublesome, but it's not that bad considering that it takes 5 seconds and the enjoyment derived from the wheel experience is immense =D

Some of my experiences that might be useful to others:

- My Driving Force (bought in June 2003 at a Future Shop in Toronto) does NOT have problems shifting when at full lock. I am 100% confident of this.
- However, it has occasionally lost force feedback in a game, and it has also pulled itself to the extreme left for no reason. Both of these situations require hard reboot of the PS2 to fix.
- The brake is limited to 75% in GT3, but NOT limited in any other game. I expect the wheel to work perfectly in GT4!

Cheers

enzojr - Thanks for the input, however, I do calibrate my wheel but the issue starts up the minute I actually go into a game...

what I'm doing right now is:
1. Turning on game
2. Go into OPTIONS
3. Calibrate wheel
4. Exit OPTIONS > Start Game

Once the game starts, the wheel than automatically 're-adjusts' itself and goes off-center...

I'll try to calibrate the wheel in the options menu once the game loads but before it starts...this make sense?

if all else fails, I'll just wait till the NEW Logitech wheel comes out sometime soon...HOPEFULLY before Christmas but I know it won't be wise to hold my breathe! :)

Later,

Tek

I have the Logitech steering wheel and it kinda sucks. I heard all this hype about it and I was pretty dissapointed when I got it. The steering isn't smooth, it makes noise when I turn the wheel, I can't brake, turn and shift down at the same time and alot of other annoying things like that. I wouldn't reccommend it to people that dont' like wasting their money.:mischievous:

I see your point lil_viper, but gear-driven wheels will always be loud and "notchy" in feel. The quieter, smoother belt-driven wheels are more expensive...a perfect example is the Momo Force, and that thing is twice as expensive.

For its price, the Driving Force is decent. If you get it at a sales price, then it becomes a bargain. Trust me, barreling down the straight on Deep Forest Raceway into the first hairpin, braking, and perfectly timing the downshifts using the "flippers" is an enormously satisfying experience.

As for the noise, I usually play GT3 LOUD with a surround sound setup, so it doesn't bother me. And I got used to the notchiness of the wheel. But yeah, at first, I was rather disappointed with the wheel. The more I used it, however, the more I fell in love with it.

Cliched as it may sound, using the wheel to play GT3 is a MUST for any true car enthusiast. Like Tek said, try the new $150 Driving Force Pro. That wheel should alleviate all the problems with the Driving Force.

Well, GT3 dont support the 900° mode but You can change manual in the 900° Wheel-Mode .

Start the Game and push "simultaneous" the Buttons :
R3 , Select and the right Paddle-Shifter ( behind the Wheel )

A mechanical Klick to unlock the Wheel-Mode
( You can cange between this Modes everytime )

Notice,
The Logitech Driving Force Pro Wheel has 2 Force Feedback stages :
Stage 1 = 60% ( the left LED to flash once )
Stage 2 = 100% ( the left LED to twice-flashing )

To change the Force Feedback intensity, push simultaneous" the Buttons :
R3 , Select and the left Paddle-Shifter ( behind the Wheel )
( You can cange between this stages everytime )

If You want to use the paddle Shifter to change Gears, You must use the correct Button Setup Menue ! ( by the Wheel Calibration )
( There are two ) :banghead:

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

I will open my GT3 game today, and I was wondering if anyone has tried any other brand name of steering wheels other than the Logitech steering wheels? I have a MadCatz digital analog steering wheel that I have had for about 3 years now, and I am totally addicted to it's preformance, while I played GT1 and GT2. So, I wondered if I can also use it on the GT3 game as well? And the MadCatz steering wheel that I have, I can push the L1 and L2, start and the select buttons at the same time to recalabrate it back to center. But, it can not be connected to the console when doing so. Just thought I might add that bit of imformation for those who dislikes the Logitech steering wheels.;) Plus, the newest version of the MadCatz steering wheels are priced alot less than the Logitech steering wheels.:D

Originally posted by ACremona22
I don't understand what your saying. It wasn't made to do the 900degrees rotation but u can change that manually and it will recognize?

Well,
after the start of the GT3 Game, You can change the Wheel to 900° Mode and the game to recognize this.

but it isnt easy to steer. ( You become X arms :lol: )

Yes I have tried other brands, but only two, One I dont even remember what It was called(Yes it was that crappy) and the other one was a Madcats Multiport Wheel, and hand cords for EVERY type of System, and would work on ANY Game, no force feedback though, but all in all a cool idea, expecially for thoose of us with multiple systems.

I don't know about you, but at Best Busy they hooked up an a Madcatz wheel to play on an XBOX, PG2 was the game. Anyhow, I know this is probable a bad comparision since its not GT3, however when I was playing with the wheel it was crap, the way the wheel worked was it centers it self, like a rubberband woould come back to its shape, I turn the wheel and I get a resistence from the wheel wanting to center itself. When I let go of the wheel it swings towards the center and resonates back and forth until its settled in the center. I was disgusted and dissappointed in comparing the Mad Catz wheel to a Logitech wheel.

Do yourselves a favor, get a logitech force feedback wheel.

Yes The Madcatz sucked in that respect, but kudos for making an effort to get a wheel that would work on ANYTHING. Im not to happy how the Logitech wheels only work on certain games. O well, cant have everything. MAybe someday though.

Originally posted by Tek
I set it up so it's dead straight..but when the game loads, the wheel all of a sudden calibrates itself so 'straight' to it actualy puts my hands, normally at 9 & 3 is now set at 1 & 7

I don't think I missed this anywhere else in this thread and I haven't looked elsewhere on the board, but this issue can be fixed fairly easily. Well, it works for my Driving Force anyway.

When you go into a race, pause the game and turn your wheel all the way left and all the way right and then back to center, or right, left, center it doesn't matter. This has always cleared up the centering problems I get with GT3 and alot of other games.

Hope this helps.

Latest Posts

Back