Videogame Art Imitates Life

• Thread starter VIPFREAK
  • 12 comments

VIPFREAK

(Banned)
That's the car they picked? :irked:

Tech Tv : Videogame Art Imitaties Life

Videogame Art Imitates Life

Couple's 1962 Buick hot rod wins way into upcoming 'Gran Turismo 4' game.
Watch tomorrow at 8 p.m. and Wednesday 11/12 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Eastern.

By Melanie Kim, Tech Live
Printer-friendly format
Email this story

It takes a lot to make a car the stuff of legends. But now, car buffs have discovered that digital immortality could be the best thing since a shot with a bikini model on the cover of Lowrider Magazine.

One man's passion for restoring cars has earned his ride the honor. And get this: His ride is a Buick.

Yeah, Buicks used to be cool. But take one look at Ted and Sue Richardson's pride and joy tonight on "Tech Live" and you'll see that a Buick can still kick ass. What's more, Ted Richardson and his machine won "Best in Show" at the inaugural GT4 Awards during the recent SEMA Show 2003 in Las Vegas.

His car, a tricked-out 1962 Buick Skylark Special, smoked the competition. As part of the award, the car will be inserted into the upcoming, much-anticipated version of the popular racing game "Gran Turismo 4." It's the first time a competition has been held to include a real car in the "Gran Turismo" series.

One wicked Buick

Ted Richardson, of Grants Pass, Ore., calls his Buick "Bu'Wicked," and that's certainly what his green machine is. Even the license plate lets people know that "BU WIKD" is on the road.

"It's got a 455-cubic-inch Buick big block motor in it, thoroughly massaged," Richardson says as he rattles off the car's impressive features. "A full chassis car. Big brakes. Six-speed transmission. And an obscene amount of horsepower."

Now gamers who play the upcoming GT4 will get to drive and race Bu'Wicked. You can bet that Richardson would never let anyone drive his car the way they can in the game -- not even his son.

"My son, when he hears about this, is going to be blown away," he says.

Good thing it's going to be in the game.

Grand 'Gran Turismo'

On hand to congratulate Richardson was "Gran Turismo" creator Kazunori Yamauchi. Yamauchi picked the winner at the GT4 Awards, held at the Palms Hotel. There, fans of the popular racing simulation game got the best sneak peek yet at GT4. The car cockpits used for the game demos were fitted with everything a real hot rod needs, right down to fire extinguishers.

Ron Eagle, spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment America, promises that GT4 is going to be unlike any racing game ever seen.

"The game's so hot, it's going to burn up on its own," Eagle says. "The team goes into painstaking detail. In some instances more than 40,000 digital images are taken of the environment so that everything is in its place. You'll never find the level of realism anywhere else."

Gamers seemed equally excited about the game. One even told us, "Just when you think 'Gran Turismo' can't get any better, it does."

Even non-gamers, such as two-time Indy 500 champ Arie Luyendyk, were impressed with the game's features.

"The images are so real -- not like what I've seen in the past," he says.

Indeed, it seems that about the only thing missing is the smell of burning rubber.

The thrill of victory

And to think, Richardson's Bu'Wicked gets to be part of a legendary game.

"We knew it was something different, something extraordinary," he says. "But I never in my wildest dreams thought anything like this would be possible."

GT4 will ship next summer and will feature about 500 cars, including Bu'Wicked. Racers will be able to drive the cars on 50 different tracks.

Though it'll probably sell a ton of copies, Richardson won't get any royalties. He does get the honor, however, and a new PlayStation 2 from Sony.

Posted November 10, 2003
Modified November 11, 2003

Nick
zombie.gif

Originally posted by 69Dodge_Charger
I like hotrods as well as muscle cars, and that is a sick Skylark. At least we didn't get another Skyline or Lancer.:rolleyes:

This guy has the right attitude. Even if you don't like hotrods at least it's not another model variation.

Originally posted by 69Dodge_Charger
I like hotrods as well as muscle cars, and that is a sick Skylark. At least we didn't get another Skyline or Lancer.:rolleyes:
I have to agree with you there, eventhough I love Evos and Skylines. All we need from any model of car is one model from each IMPORTANT variant, (ex. we dont need '91, '92, and '93 civics, just one of them will do) and then a handful of special variants (ex. Tommi Makkinen Evo 6, or a Blitz Skyline). Otherwise, the game will end up having less variety. I'd love to see lots of muscle cars in the game, and some obscure makes too.

you guys have a point, but why didnt somebody trick out a lambo or a FERRARI, (LOL) and have it win the competiton so that it could have been in GT4, hmm.

Why not put in a car that "fits" in GT4. This thing won't turn for crap because in real life it probably has a welded rear diff... I would have rather had them put in an EF hatch, or a 4WD geo metro turbo over this car, because I would actually drive that over this Buwickedpileo*****...

You would've probably preferred another tuned Skyline. Just accept it that this car is diferent, and it won the SEMA show and it's in the game as a result, a 4wd tubo'ed Geo didn't happen to win, and hell I'm just glad it wasn't another tuned Skyline, Lancer or Civic.

Originally posted by live4speed
You would've probably preferred another tuned Skyline. Just accept it that this car is diferent, and it won the SEMA show and it's in the game as a result, a 4wd tubo'ed Geo didn't happen to win, and hell I'm just glad it wasn't another tuned Skyline, Lancer or Civic.

If you're not happy with seeing Skylines, Lancers and Civic, just don't buy the ****ing game. I'm sick of hearing people whine there are too many of them. Bottom line is that they're all different, like the 3 Vipers, the 3 Corvettes and the 2 Camaros. But yet you never hear anyone complain there are 3 ****ing worthless Corvettes in the game. An R33 is entirely different from an R34, just like a Grand Sport is different from a Z06.

Just buy an X-Box, and get yourself PGR or whatever it's called, if you want to drive Ferraris and Lambos.

Polyphony Digital have actually designed a body kit for Nissan for the 350Z And is available through official Nissan dealers.

Now thats real life imitateing video games.
;)

Originally posted by PunkRock
If you're not happy with seeing Skylines, Lancers and Civic, just don't buy the ****ing game. I'm sick of hearing people whine there are too many of them. Bottom line is that they're all different, like the 3 Vipers, the 3 Corvettes and the 2 Camaros. But yet you never hear anyone complain there are 3 ****ing worthless Corvettes in the game. An R33 is entirely different from an R34, just like a Grand Sport is different from a Z06.

Just buy an X-Box, and get yourself PGR or whatever it's called, if you want to drive Ferraris and Lambos.

WTF, I didn't mean dont have an R33 and an R34, I meant don't have 20 or so different variations of ONE model, like there are of the R34, I like Skylines but I would rather have 3 or 4 versions of each model max and get other different cars in the game.

Back