GT4 FAQ (read it and you're less likely to make a fool of yourself)

I have noticed a lot of the same questions being asked and answered in the GT4 forum. I tried to make a list of the most obvious questions I have seen repeatedly asked, and I came up with this FAQ. I don't know if you would like me to post it in there or if there's too much information as it is. Feel free to add/correct anything:

Is there a car/track/prize car/used car/information list?

• This Link contains vast amounts of information about GT4.

What are the black cars (sometimes called black LMP cars), when do they appear, and how much do I need to buy them?

• They are all black versions of cars that are already in the game
• You can view screenshots of the cars HERE
• They appear on day 694 in used car showroom I and II, and they are only there for 1 week (they will appear again if you miss them…just not soon)
• You will need 8.5 Million credits (NTSC version) to buy them all.

What is the quickest way to earn money?
• There are 2 ways, depending on what car you have.
1) Enter the 2nd “Special condition” race on easy. Win the 2 races with a decent 300+ HP car, and sell the prize car for $256,000…repeat
2) Enter the German Touring Car Challenge (European Race Stadium) with a Very good car. B-spec the entire series, sell the prize car and you have made a total of $900,000….repeat.
NOTE: you can re-enter and "clear" the trophies from your races, and then re-win the prize car for that series.

Why does the screen “flicker” sometimes?
• This is a bug in the programming. Normal TV signals are split up into 2 different signals, one is for the “even” horizontal lines on your TV, and the other on is for the “odd” lines. It seems somehow, possibly with programming for HDTV, the game makers accidentally reversed the signals, so that instead of lines 1, 2, 3…etc being displayed lines 1, 3, 2, 4…are displayed. It is normal, some people have found ways to reduce or stop the flickering, but it has to do with your TV. Not all TV’s are the same so monkey around with yours and good luck – I haven’t figured out how to stop it from happening to mine. Try setting the brightness to "0"
• Do not confuse this with the “blur” you get when bashing into the wall (when in bumper cam mode). This is an intentional effect to help stop people from “wall riding” like they did in GT3.

What are A-spec points and what do I get with them?

• They are a way to judge how your car stacks up against the competition for a given race. Famine does a much better job explaining them that I ever will HERE
• You don’t get anything for having more a-spec points other than bragging rights.

Are there any shortcut keys for the menus?
"I've found a couple shortcut keys, but wanted to know if others have found any more.

On the main screen, L1 jumps to your home, R1 jumps to the country of the car manufacture your currently in, L3 pauses the scrolling text across the bottom, and start while in your home takes you to the settings for the current car your in.

I'd like to know if there is a button or button combo to return to the main screen from any depth of menus? I get tired of hitting triangle a million times to get back to the main screen." - credit to oryan_dunn

How do I use nitrous?
• Buy it, and make sure it is equipped on your car in the settings menu first. You will notice a red guage on the right side of your display - that tells you how much nitrous you have in your tank.
• The default button to use nitrous is the R1 button (R2 for the driving force pro wheel) You must HOLD DOWN the button for as long as you want the nitrous to spray.
• You can turn up the power of the nitrous by going into the settings menu. More power = less time before your nitrous runs out.

What car should I use to run in ______ race?
• There is a great tool created by jkrobby located HERE
o You can sort by engine location and driven wheels, manufacturer, anything. Figure out what the race qualifications are, and then pick the one with the lowest power to weight ratio for the easiest win.

I want to play online!
• Online mode was taken out at the last minute, but people are using a program called X-Link to “fool” the game into thinking it is playing a lan game when in fact it is an online game. MortICi has a great tutorial HERE
o Ask questions about x-link in that thread, but please make sure it hasn’t already been asked (use the SEARCH function).

How do I get my photomode pics to my PC?
• The easiest way is to use a thumb drive. Some work, some don’t. I have “el cheapo” Lexar Jump Drive that I bought on Ebay for $15 and it works great.
• MelloBoy has a list of confirmed working and non-working drives HERE

Can I use a steering wheel with GT4?

• Yes, most PS2 wheels are supported, however Sony went out of its way to ensure that the MOMO FORCE™ wheel would not be supported in this game.

My PS2 won’t play GT4!!
• Clean the laser lense, replace the laser, or trade it in for a reconditioned or new PS2.
• I have found this link helpful for how to clean the lense: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/387/387912p1.html

Why can’t I put a turbo/supercharger/NA tune up on _____ car?
• Not all cars can be equipped with all options in GT4, even if you have seen it done in real life.

What good is the Tuner Village? They sell the same parts as the dealership?

• They also sell some items called “originals” that you cannot find at the dealership, usually upgraded turbos and suspension. Other than that, they are the same.

(Inset question I didn’t answer here)???

• The search function is your friend. Love it. Use it. Abuse it. (click me)
• The way you found this site was most likely via a search engine, so we know that you know how to use one. Please use GTP’s own search engine to try and find the answer to your question before posting. You will get your answer much faster, and you won’t tick off the regulars here (we get sick of seeing and answering the same questions over and over…hence this FAQ)
• Tips for searching: search 10 times before you post your question. Try different variations. Try to think outside the box. Ask yourself “what other words could someone have used to post something about this?”

Thanks to the awesome knowledge base here at GT4 for helping me make this, and thanks to my spring break for giving me enough time to do it. Please PM me if you notice anything is missing or incorrect, I will verify it and correct it asap.

All credit to everyone else here at GTPlanet.net - I did nothing but compile this information.

-Minnesota01R6

pimp racer
Great FAQ! You might wanna consider adding a list of when all the tracks appear.

I don't want to be too redundant - snoopie's list is the 1st link in my FAQ, and he has links to a ton of prize car, used car, track availability, and x-link FAQ's

In a perfect world with infinite time I would like to compile 1 car list with different prize cars for different versions listed in the same list, A general car list with all the info from Famine's list, but useable for people who don't have xcel and linked to screenshots (like jkrobby's list) AND have info for when a specific car shows up in the used car lot. Finally, I would like to consolidate all the info for x-link into 1 thread as well.

It would clear up snoopie's list and just have 5 or 6 links to all the info that is contained in 20 or so links right now. Unfortunately, I lack the technical know-how to do this, and it would probably take my entire spring break if I did know how.

EDIT: also, this is in the wrong forum if it is actually going to be used as a FAQ (snoopie put a link to it in his stickied "faq's" thread). Could a mod help me out?

two additional notes.

the "impact blur" only occurs if you're using bumper cam, if you're using the chase cam, you don't see it.

include something about nitrous as well, you have to hold it down, and if you''re in chase cam mode, it's difficult to notice the speed increase, and you won't hear it going in, unless you're using roof or bumper cam mode.

rjcc
two additional notes.

the "impact blur" only occurs if you're using bumper cam, if you're using the chase cam, you don't see it.

include something about nitrous as well, you have to hold it down, and if you''re in chase cam mode, it's difficult to notice the speed increase, and you won't hear it going in, unless you're using roof or bumper cam mode.

Done and done.

MCX
GTPlantet.net??? spelling first :D Great faq, btw. Kudos :)👍

Hey, I finished it at 3:00 in the morning - even with my sleep disorder I'm not running on all cylinders at that hour :sly:

EDIT: moderators rock. they make people disappear.

The car information sections that used to scroll when you were looking at a car are gone. I've heard that someone speaks during replays somewhere? If this is true, this is something that you should add here.

Add how to clear races so you can win the prize car again.
Add info on how the oil changes work this time around, namely that they do not restore HP if you redline too much. And that F1 cars do not have to worry about oil changes.

If I can think of more things needing additions, I'll post em.

Great effort. But no matter how many FAQs appear and even if it's plastered all over the first page, some noob is bound to start a new thread asking a question that's already been answered 10 times on the first page, and some moderator is going to allow the thread to go through ;)

Added note on clearing races to re-win prize cars. I'm going to hold off on the loosing HP from redlining thing until I see some hard evidence. I haven't observed this myself, but I tend not to bounce off the redline either.

I know some people are stupid and ask before looking, but atleast now the regs can say "read this first, moron" and they may actually read more that what their initial question was, thus saving 2 or 3 other pointless threads :)

Flaanders
Do you just re-enter ther races?

What is the quickest way to earn money?
• There are 2 ways, depending on what car you have.
1) Enter the 2nd “Special condition” race on easy. Win the 2 races with a decent 300+ HP car, and sell the prize car for $256,000…repeat
2) Enter the German Touring Car Challenge (European Race Stadium) with a Very good car. B-spec the entire series, sell the prize car and you have made a total of $900,000….repeat.
NOTE: you can re-enter and "clear" the trophies from your races, and then re-win the prize car for that series.

yep.

Thats something use full

Thanks for the great work of searching all and putting it in one thread. I hope there will come more and more FAQ's questions on this thread later on.

necos
What is the best car to pick for the compact car races/FF drive races?

Id This Guy Joking, Seriously If Not Im mean OMFG, How Stupid,

Influx of Dyslexics On GTP, 💡

BTW, Nice One Minesotta, Well structured, and clear and consice , well done

Cheers Tm 👍

tm2003
Id This Guy Joking, Seriously If Not Im mean OMFG, How Stupid,

Influx of Dyslexics On GTP, 💡

BTW, Nice One Minesotta, Well structured, and clear and consice , well done

Cheers Tm 👍

Im asking an opinion, because there are lots of cars for those races and what would you suggest? And just because ur a "pro" at GT4 doesn't mean all of us are "pros."

necos
Im asking an opinion, because there are lots of cars for those races and what would you suggest? And just because ur a "pro" at GT4 doesn't mean all of us are "pros."

Trust me im absolutely no pro at gt4, the mere Inclination is rather amusing, i think that your question is better suited to a searech box, trust me, after spending so much time here seing the same post over and over is annoying .

Mate, Soz if i seemed harsh im just stresed whole memory card corrupt, its just the FAQ outlines use of search

Cheers Tm 👍

(gud Luck with FF Races)

tm2003
Trust me im absolutely no pro at gt4, the mere Inclination is rather amusing, i think that your question is better suited to a searech box, trust me, after spending so much time here seing the same post over and over is annoying .

Mate, Soz if i seemed harsh im just stresed whole memory card corrupt, its just the FAQ outlines use of search

Cheers Tm 👍

(gud Luck with FF Races)

Ok, my bad then. Sorry for asking a repetitive question.

necos
Ok, my bad then. Sorry for asking a repetitive question.

Its Ok Everyone does it, If you ever need help, try and search first, beacuse its usually been said before,

Cheers & Happy Racing 👍
Tm

Back