DS2 Drifters

• Thread starter Drift-Kid
  • 52 comments
Hi I love drifting...............ive got good a drifting on GT3 got to GT4 and nowi suck...

I have a DFP but for the moment i have now place to set it up...so i have been drifting with a DS2

I was hoping some of you ds2 drifters might have some vids of GT4 drifting with the ds2.........and any tips on how you guys keep from spinnig out..

thanks

Drift-Kid
Hi I love drifting...............ive got good a drifting on GT3 got to GT4 and nowi suck...

I have a DFP but for the moment i have now place to set it up...so i have been drifting with a DS2

I was hoping some of you ds2 drifters might have some vids of GT4 drifting with the ds2.........and any tips on how you guys keep from spinnig out..

thanks

Link: No wheels, just controllers

just search for vids released by the guys that name themselves as DS2 drifters in that thread.
I am one myself, and have a link to my GT4 vid in my signature.

practice until you get used to the balance of the car
i usually drift throttle in bursts rather than smooth motion
i usually steer in smooth motion until i've wound to full lock

i use the sticks though, analog buttons is an oxymoron to me :)

in the sig, i always hold the analog stick up and do half moons left and right to help make it smoother and emulate a wheel

TRi
in the sig, i always hold the analog stick up and do half moons left and right to help make it smoother and emulate a wheel

As simple as that sounds, I never even thought to do that :dunce: . Now that Ive tried it, gee, my drifting has improved signifigantly, especially the countersteering.

Thanks for pointing that out 👍 :) .

TRi
no prob, you can also wrap a rubberband around the analog stick if ya find that akward

ok, the rubber band trick. ive read about it before but never quite fully understood it. do you just hook it on the left thumbstick and have it pull up on it, so it centers and is a little easier to modulate steering?

i just cant get used to using the right thumbstick for throttle, too awkward for me.

194GVan
i just cant get used to using the right thumbstick for throttle, too awkward for me.

same here, im willing to bet i have some of the best throttle skills with the damn button.

194GVan
ok, the rubber band trick. ive read about it before but never quite fully understood it. do you just hook it on the left thumbstick and have it pull up on it, so it centers and is a little easier to modulate steering?

there was a diagram of it somewheres. you just get a rubberband, wrap it underneath, then go over and under to wrap the top, and yeah it gives resistance and comes back to center easier. it helps a good amount, but i'm so used to holding up that i couldn't do it. i imagine what you described would work as well

tried the right for throttle too, but it didnt work out for me.

you mean you can drive with the stciks! no way.

although i need some help.

now, my DS2left stick is off, evry now and then my car gets pullede to the right quite hard, making drifting very hard any tips for my Drifty Stick?

I'm am going to be part of the DS2 drifters until I get the wheel later, for the rubberbands on the controller I snatched some from my friend's newspapers (Houston Chronicle, I think). I only have one rubberband on at the moment but got a second one before I took off to class this morning. I was practicing on Suzuka East Circuit (1.3 miles?) and think it helps on tightening the steering on the sticks OK. I'll update on my findings next chance I get.

Update 3/26 : With the setup I have at the moment the analog for the gas I tightened up enough to not struggle with the modulating the throttle, as for the steering I'm still working on it, the rubberband on it now doesn't slow me down enough when pushing the stick to the sides. I'm starting to get some counter steering going through some of the drifts but I find It hard to tell how much the wheels are angled.
I put up pics of my rubberband setup. http://dropzone.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=rubberbrand-controller

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 60
You can corner better with the analog sticks as opposed to the d-pad. Ive never heard of the rubberband trick until this post but rest assured i'll be leaving the office with a few in-pocket :)

I finally got pretty good last night with the DS2, all I gotta say is keep the countersteer to a minimum only enough to keep the car from not spinning, to much and you'll just flick the car into the wall, either way keep practicing, thats what I did and I'm basically at where I was now at drifting in GT3.

TRi
there was a diagram of it somewheres. you just get a rubberband, wrap it underneath, then go over and under to wrap the top, and yeah it gives resistance and comes back to center easier. it helps a good amount, but i'm so used to holding up that i couldn't do it. i imagine what you described would work as well

tried the right for throttle too, but it didnt work out for me.

I'm not a DS2 drifter, well not yet, I mainly play with a wheel (DFP). I tried this rubberband trick today with the DS2 and I have to agree with you, it really helps. I am able to maintain my countersteers alot better with the rubberband. I think what happens is when I countersteer say to the right and release, the rubber straightens but there is still a slight countersteer remaining and this helps maintain the drifts longer. Plus the rubberband allows me to hold the position of my countersteer bettter. I probably should have tried this earlier, but probably won't use it much since rather be playing with a wheel. 👍

Drift-Kid

thanks
It took me a month and a half to learn how 2 drift in GT4, u just got 2 practice alot....learn how much pressure 2 put in the gas then learn how much pressure 2 put in the steering because now moving the height in is different and more realistice. Bottom line is that u got 2 practice........... :crazy: :crazy:

I drift with the DS2 aswell. I use the stick for steering and the pad for accelerating and braking. You will have to wait until the end of the month to see my video in the GTPDC!!

hm. I think i don't use the sticks that much now that i think about it. For some reason i get into zero counter situations. ^_^; weird huh? But in the begining of GT4 I was whipping the analog all over and had snap spins. Now I still do the same thing but control the throttle input with the R1 button. That or I zero counter. :drool:

Zero-countersteer drifting is always an option for the DS2 drifter, although it's not as fun or pretty. I use the left analog stick and X-square-O buttons. I'll probably never own a DFP in my entire life, GT4 drifting just isn't that important to me (meaning I don't feel like spending $150 on my PS2, $50 on the game, and ANOTHER $150 on the wheel, that's too many $$$ for a videogame IMO). I'm happy with the DS2, I think it's the best videogame controller ever made, and I can drift pretty well with it. There's two versions of my drifting. The first one is using very gentle motions with my thumbs to, as accurately as possible, recreate the same movement as having the wheel+pedals. I just try not to mash the X button mid-drift, and slowly move the left analog stick to control my steering. The other method of drifting I have takes place while... inebriated. During these times I tend to just tap the buttons a lot. I do this weird thing where I'll countersteer all the way, then stop, then all the way, then stop. I'll do that probably 5 or 6 times during the course of a corner. Same thing with the throttle, I just mash and release, mash and release.

It takes a lot of practice, but you can definitely pull off some smooth looking drifts without using the steering wheel, right analog stick, rubberband trick, or the half-mooon trick (not that using any of these techniques is a BAD thing, I'm just trying to prove that they aren't NECCESSARY).

Ok, I'm gonna stop typing before I get more people to hate me :crazy:

burnout060
It takes a lot of practice, but you can definitely pull off some smooth looking drifts without using the steering wheel, right analog stick, rubberband trick, or the half-mooon trick (not that using any of these techniques is a BAD thing, I'm just trying to prove that they aren't NECCESSARY).

Ok, I'm gonna stop typing before I get more people to hate me :crazy:

indeed, thats all true. I dont use any of the gimmicks on the DS2 either.
I do however try not to do the full-lock, off, full-lock, off type steering that you mention. Not b/c it doesnt work, just b/c a constant steering angle looks prettier. Though, sometimes i do revert back into it when things get hairy - just out of old habits i had when starting drifting in GT3 on the D-pad.

TRi

Tried n tested. Really helps with coming out of the drift, cuts down on all the pesky snap back spin outs for sure. 👍

Back