GT2 versions

• Thread starter gkp00co
  • 47 comments
I just got back from browsing GameShark's site and they listed 4 different versions of GT2.

Does anyone here know:

1) What are the differences between the various versions and more importantly,
2) How do you determine which version that you have?

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more versions were only different in their packaging (the Greatest Hits Edition, for instance), but I'd really like to know.

I've got a Japanese set, an NTSC set that has a strange bug, and a pirate NTSC set that I bought as a sort of 'backup' for the goofy one.

=========

The strange bug, by the way, is that it hangs sometimes when I try to go to certain manufacturers' tuning pages and attempt to tune certain cars. For instance if I buy a Dodge Challenger, it hangs, but if I buy a Dodge Charger it doesn't. Like I said - goofy. There are other bugs, but that one is the most exasperating.

For the record, I am not one to condone or encourage piracy, but it took 3 months for the goofy set to get to me and I wasn't looking forward to another 6 months of waiting (3 months out, and 3 more back) just to have the same problem repeat...

GKP

The easiest way to tell them apart is by testing out the money codes with a gameshark. Other than that, you have to look at weird things like the price of a car wash, the license required for the Muscle Car Cup races, see if Normal is mispelled in event generator, etc.

As for that tuning thing, sounds like your disk is scratched to me. I had the same problem until I got myself another copy of GT2, then it didn't happen anymore.

Originally posted by skynyrd
...you have to look at weird things like the price of a car wash, the license required for the Muscle Car Cup races, see if Normal is mispelled in event generator, etc.

OK, this is the sort of thing I'm curious about (and perhaps others are as well).

Does anyone know of a bug list (yeah, I know - there are lots of bug lists) that is correlated to version numbers, and/or a list of which bugs are patched/repaired between versions?

GKP

Originally posted by gkp00co

The strange bug, by the way, is that it hangs sometimes when I try to go to certain manufacturers' tuning pages and attempt to tune certain cars. For instance if I buy a Dodge Challenger, it hangs, but if I buy a Dodge Charger it doesn't. Like I said - goofy. There are other bugs, but that one is the most exasperating.

GKP

Answer to the bug:
scratches on the disk. I had the same problem but with the east city cars. None of the Daihatsu's would want to be bought, neither did the Suzuki's and some of the used cars too.
I made a copy of the CD (I didnt want to waste $19.99 on a new one) it worked perfectly!

I think there was one at GTF before it went down, but as far as I know, that one's gone now. Sorry, I have no idea where to find another one.

Originally posted by GT-R

Answer to the bug: scratches on the disk.

The CDs appear OK, just to look at them, and it's not just Dodge, or the South City, but all over the place - VW for instance - and not necessarily whole manufacturers, but often specific cars within manufacturers. Curiously, the East City seemed perfectly fine...

I made a copy of the CD (I didnt want to waste $19.99 on a new one) it worked perfectly!

I might try that - do you need any special software to do this? I recall trying to read a PSX CD on my system once before, and got nothing...

GKP

I should say this again - I never had trouble buying cars - it was when I went to *tune* them that I had most of my trouble. Some cars would hang when you tried to tune them and others wouldn't - even within manufacturers.

GKP

The CDs appear OK, just to look at them, and it's not just Dodge, or the South City, but all over the place - VW for instance - and not necessarily whole manufacturers, but often specific cars within manufacturers. Curiously, the East City seemed perfectly fine...

I might try that - do you need any special software to do this? I recall trying to read a PSX CD on my system once before, and got nothing...

GKP

I dont know then.... It still might be some relatively big scratch across some important part of the CD.
All you need (all I needed) is CloneCD. It copies the whole entire CD no matter what it is and its a 100% perfect copy. It took me a while to copy the scratched up CD though. Some CD-ROM drives dont read PSX CD's. That might be whats wrong on your computer. My desktop can easily read it but my laptop's DVD drive refused to until I transferred it to a CD-R using Clone CD. Tell me if you have any luck....

Version 1.0:

• Ford Taurus SHO becomes #6 Valvoline NASCAR when you [R]-mod it
    Car wash says 5000cr but it only takes 50
    Muscle Car Cup events show different license requirements, but I-A is required for all races

OK, so far we've got:

GT2 v1.0:
Car wash says 5000cr but it only takes 50
Muscle Car Cup events show different license requirements, but I-A is required for all races

All of these anomolies were corrected for GT2 v1.1?
Any new anomolies surface for later versions that weren't there on previous versions?
Was the Garage thief - the one who steals all your cars while you're off doing testing - ever caught? If so, which version?

Version difference:
Normal is mispelled in event generator

Geez - there are *so* *many* spelling problems in GT2, I'm amazed that anyone can keep track of them all, "Grand Valley Bast" ("East"), for instance...

But more importantly, which version(s)??

BTW, I thought that "Ford Taurus SHO becomes #6 Valvoline NASCAR when you [R]-mod it" was a feature of the game - I've certainly heard of it for a long time - but this is not possible on different versions?? A possible licensing problem force them to remove #6? What's up here?

GKP

The Mark Martin #6 car doesn't exist on versions 1.1 or 1.2. No GS code will bring it out. I guess a conflict with Valvoline (who sponsors the game) and Roush Racing (who probably lent their car to a NASCAR-themed racing game) ended that one.

The [R]-mod for the Taurus (in v1.1/1.2) is some white, yellow, and orange car from the pics I've seen. (I have v1.0)

I hear the machine-test/garage bug was not fixed until 1.2 (?), if indeed it ever was repaired. Version 1.2 is the "perfect" copy, that is, 1.1 is somewhere in between (see the Muscle Car Cup license requirements, the car wash).

As for spellng errors, I don't think any of them were ever fixed in any version!

Originally posted at Granturismo.com:
Muscle Car Licenses wrong, and Cr5,000 Car Wash -> version 1.0 (garage offset 0)
Muscle Car Licenses fixed, and Cr5,000 Car Wash -> version 1.1 (garage offset hex 370)
Muscle Car Licenses fixed, and Cr50 Car Wash -> version 1.2 (garage offset hex 5A0)

I have V1.1 and it has the garage/top speed test bug.

Originally posted by pupik
The Mark Martin #6 car doesn't exist on versions 1.1 or 1.2. No GS code will bring it out.
Very interesting. So what happens if you've got Martin's #6 in your garage, then go to a friend's house and play it on his newer version GT2? It changes into "some white, yellow, and orange car", and then changes back again when you go home to your version 1.0?

GKP

I got this from GTF a while back, all credit to GT2toXS as far as I know.
It's one way to check for sure!

"I inspected my three versions of the GT2 Arcade disks
Feb 2000 on a PC, and got the following results:
Old (Dec 16, 1999) Arcade Mode...

12:18:43 G:\>dir
Volume in drive G is GRANTURISMO
Volume Serial Number is 4453-E50C
Directory of G:\
GT2 OVL 287,088 10-12-99 10:34p GT2.OVL
GT2 VOL 213,596,160 10-12-99 10:35p GT2.VOL
MUSIC DAT 97,918,508 10-12-99 10:36p MUSIC.DAT
SCUS_944 55 628,736 10-12-99 10:37p SCUS_944.55
STREAM DAT 384,740,204 10-26-99 9:48a STREAM.DAT
SYSTEM CNF 68 10-12-99 10:34p SYSTEM.CNF
6 file(s) 697,170,764 bytes
0 dir(s) 0 bytes free

New (Purchased from Toys'R US, mid February) Arcade
Mode...

2:01:27 N:\>g:
12:12:42 G:\>dir
Volume Serial Number is 9253-E55A
GT2 OVL 290,184 10-12-99 10:34p GT2.OVL
GT2 VOL 213,753,856 10-12-99 10:35p GT2.VOL
6 file(s) 697,331,556 bytes
0 dir(s) 0 bytes free

March 04, 2000, Zeller's Arcade Disk...

15:36:31 G:\>dir
Volume Serial Number is 9253-E55A
GT2 OVL 290,184 10-12-99 10:34p GT2.OVL
GT2 VOL 213,753,856 10-12-99 10:35p GT2.VOL
6 file(s) 697,331,556 bytes
0 dir(s) 0 bytes free

[This message has been edited by GT2toXS (edited
08-28-2000).]

The first disk above was packaged with Simulation Mode
disk 1.0, the second with 1.1, and the third with 1.0
again! (Net result was that Arcade Mode disk saved time
trial results which could not be properly interpreted
by the Simulation Mode disk it came packaged with!)

So the dates have been fudged somehow to be the same.
But the Volume Serial Number, and some file sizes are
different. Note that the last two are, indeed, the same
version of the Arcade Mode disk."

So what happens if you've got Martin's #6 in your garage, then go to a friend's house and play it on his newer version GT2? It changes into "some white, yellow, and orange car", and then changes back again when you go home to your version 1.0?

GKP
That's exactly it. Your memory card just tells the game inside the console to look for the Taurus SHO on the disk, and display whatever information it has about the car's body. Since the information is hard-coded onto the disk, that info never changes. Thus, v1.0 will display the #6, and using another version with your gamesave will show a different body style.

I've wondered if there are any other cars that have differing race mods between versions of the game. So far, the Taurus is the only one.

Originally posted by hpracing007
Originally posted at Granturismo.com:
Muscle Car Licenses wrong, and Cr5,000 Car Wash -> version 1.0 (garage offset 0)
Muscle Car Licenses fixed, and Cr5,000 Car Wash -> version 1.1 (garage offset hex 370)
Muscle Car Licenses fixed, and Cr50 Car Wash -> version 1.2 (garage offset hex 5A0)

I have V1.1 and it has the garage/top speed test bug.

Thank you hpracing007 - this is about as simple as it gets to easily determine which version you've got.

GKP

I must have version 1.0 because when I do a racing modification of the Ford Taurus I get this:

6.jpg

I play GT2 on Dreamcast with Bleem so I can't hack codes for hybrids or the CLK-GTR race car but at least this is something.

Originally posted by Tank
I play GT2 on Dreamcast with Bleem so I can't hack codes for hybrids or the CLK-GTR race car but at least this is something.

If you can get your saved data onto a PC there is at least one program for modifying the car data.

I've used gt2edit and it seems to work OK. Another interesting program is gt2browse, which lets you see the stats of all the cars in your save.

They're both available at "JuanDon's Dirty Deeds Page"
URL: http://juandon.50megs.com/

They're at the bottom of the page. Also, check out the MK utilities also; they're at DonJuan's site, but MK has his own site (http://www.geocities.com/mkreations/files/) and the stuff there is presumably newer and more completely debugged.

Have fun, and good luck.

GKP

My analog steering was going either slight or moderate to either side it was so hard to maintain the speed/line. My analog light kept going on and off, I had to try D-pad it was still flawing badly on me. DAMN Arcade !!

Holy necroposting, Batman!

For that matter, what does that post have to do with the topic? And do you mean on your DS, or on your JOGCON-equivalent controller?

Holy necroposting, Batman!

For that matter, what does that post have to do with the topic? And do you mean on your DS, or on your JOGCON-equivalent controller?

Yea, this one had me lost, too. :confused:

That's probably a cracked version for PC. Can't discuss here though, it's illegal.

Then again I may be wrong and someone just photoshopped the pic.

Ah...so it's the PAL version. I never played the PAL version before (just the NTSC and JP versions), so I didn't know. Makes sense if it's the language screen (apparently you can get more than 100% complete if you change the language - but that's for another thread ;)).

Last edited:
-> Back in my homeland (Philippines) I used to have a bootlegged USDM V1.1 (since the original was too expensive).

-> When I arrived here in the U.S. (in Chicagoland area), I had the V1.2. But the Acura Integra GS-R's 3rd gear bug was present and the Mark Martin's car was present too. :)

-> Back in my homeland (Philippines) I used to have a bootlegged USDM V1.1 (since the original was too expensive).

-> When I arrived here in the U.S. (in Chicagoland area), I had the V1.2. But the Acura Integra GS-R's 3rd gear bug was present and the Mark Martin's car was present too. :)

i didnt hear about that 3rd gear bug, what does it do ? fly ? :)
I have US version, where you can enter lets say, muscle car cup with any car you want (Japanese Supra for instance) i think nobody noted that here.

What about this version?

Fun fact/coincidence, my dad owned an Evo V (First car in the lineup), after he sold it he bought an Alfa 156 (Second car), at the same time this happened my friend's dad owned a navy Subaru Legacy (Third car)

i didnt hear about that 3rd gear bug, what does it do ? fly ? :)

It's not really a bug, it was one of Polyphony Digital's computer programmers being lazy, or being overwhelmed with cars to program, so he screwed up.

Essentially, 3rd gear of some Integras was almost the same as 4th gear. I'm forgetting the exact specs, but 3rd and 4th gear were like:

3rd: 1.360

4th: 1.340

Not much difference, right? So when you shifted from 3rd to 4th, it was almost unnoticable. Then you switched to 5th, which dropped those revs like a lead balloon.

4th should have been much taller...probably 1.1xx instead of 1.340

I have US version, where you can enter lets say, muscle car cup with any car you want (Japanese Supra for instance) i think nobody noted that here.

That, I believe, is true of any GT2 version. PD didn't have enough time to make truely accurate limits for car types (a mistake they're still repeating occasionally in GT5 btw), therefore, it's possible to enter a Corvette in the Station Wagon races, and stuff like that.

Back