117 Laps of FUN!!!

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 6 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
Like most everyone else I'm sure...I am VERY Disappointed with the "Quality Competition" of the "New AI!" :irked: Sure they're a little bit better at NOT running into you (Not much, just a little) & on occasion I've actually had them move over a bit as they're being passed.
But what's the use of having "Upgrades" when you don't need them? :confused: The majority of the "One Make" races I've done can be won with a totally stock ride without even an Oil Change! 👎 I for one like NOT being able to best the field & slowly but steadily adding a "Chip" or "Exhaust" or "Tyres" until I can just slip by the leader at the Finish Line!

Anyhow, I've been putting off running the Infineon World Sport Car Trophy untill a suitable "Ride" could be found. NO!! I do NOT get any enjoyment out of winning races like this with a Formula GT or LMP upgraded to the Max!!! Knowing I didn't have enough time to drive the whole race myself, I started the race a few days ago & although I was able to slowly put some distance on the field by B-Spec driver was the "Pits!" He not only lost the 45 second lead I gave him but another 45 seconds as well in ONE 14 Lap Stint! He didn't drive off course or do anything "Stupid" but he was over seven seconds SLOWER per Lap than I was? :confused: So I exited the Race as there wasn't time to drive it myself until today.

I reloaded the "Race" until the field consisted of: NISSAN R89C / NISSAN R92CP / NISSAN R390 GT / SAUBER C9 & CORVETTE C5? (Which should NOT have been there!) This is an "Excellent" field if you're looking for a tight race. The first three cars stay close together the entire time & none of the "AI" do anything stupid! 👍

Do NOT do this at Home! :lol: I jumped in the same NISSAN R390 GT (Black/Used / NO Upgrades) I had previously used with a set up similar to one I'd used in GT3.
Mistake #1...I forgot I'd changed the Final Drive slightly & when I Reset a few days ago that Mod was lost.
Mistake #2...Don't just jump in a LMP ride on Hard Tyres & Go Racing! :dunce: A couple of Laps in Free Run would have been of great benefit to say the least.

Started last of course (why can't we "Qualify" for more races in GT4?) & made it all the way to turn #1 before I "Looped" it on Blue Tyres! Then proceeded to do it again in the same spot two laps later! :dunce: Took me until Lap #8 to finally slip by the leader just before the Hairpin. Slowly but surely I opened a gap. Then on Lap #14 the FRONT tyres started to go away! :eek: (I'd equipped R2 Fronts & R1 Rears) so I pitted in, changed the fronts to match the rears & Gassed up. I fully expected the "Pack" to blow by me but they pulled in as well. :)

Do to my Final Drive error i was only just "Touching" Sixth in two spots per Lap. A better adjustment would probably have been good for a few 1/10ths per circuit. Due to my fitting harder fronts I could never match my Quickest Lap (1'20.539 / Lap#12) but overall it probably yielded a closer race. Also I got out of "Sync" with the Pack stopping on Laps #31 / #48 / #66 / #85 & finally #103. But that turned out to be "Blessing in Disguise" as it put me "In Traffic" for a few extra Laps! Actually dropped back to fourth once because of pit stops. A quick calculation told me I could do the final stint on R2s in front again so I fitted them at the final stop. Also cut back on the fuel a bit.

Mistake #3...After doing nearly 90 Laps on R1 fronts the switch really threw off my rhythm. "Turn-In" points moved a bit & I managed to spin it in spots where I'd never had a problem before! :scared: FINALLY got a handle on it & much to my surprise turned a 1'20.542 exactly 100 Laps after my quickest! :) This was with 38 LESS HP so I guess I learned the "Line" a bit better.
Speaking of "Line" does anyone else enjoy "Losing Control" momentarily cresting the two "Blind" Uphill Rights? I get a great deal of satisfaction mastering the little "Twitch" as the steering gets "Light" twice per Lap! 👍

FINAL RESULTS:
NISSAN R390 GT (Black/Used)...117 Laps
NISSAN R89C...116 Laps
NISSAN R92CP...116 Laps
SAUBER C9...116 Laps
NISSAN R390 GT...Unknown (Down about 10)
CORVETTE C5...Unknown (Down about 14)
(I sure liked the "Facts" available after a GT3 Race better! :irked: )

Fast Lap: 1'20.539
HP: 798 @ Start / 760 at the Finish...O.G. :D

I agree with your first comments about the competition in the game. It seems that in most races the computer is using stock cars, except for the SPeedster cup where they are tuned too hard. One little upgrade to your car and yours is already better than the cars used by the AI.

Great write up as usual!!! 👍 I first tried this race in my fine tuned cien (wings, suspension,NA1). Could not hold a candle to the Viper a light year behind the Fantastic 4(sauber,r89,r92,Bentley).

Loved The R390 In Gt3, yeah Avatar gives it away,
Could I just Ask, Is the handling pretty sharp & what lap times where you pulling on your stints,

Cheers For Annother quality write up OG
👍 Tm

THANX tm2003! 👍
The only thing I regret is that the Black/Red Version from your Avatar didn't show up in GT4! :irked: It's an old favorite from GT3 for myself as well but I must admit I hadn't driven one for so long I kinda forgot what a "Pleasure" it is! Very solid handling even on Hard Tyres & the thing "Pulls like a Freight Train" even with stock HP. 👍
One thing I forgot to note: These "BLACK" Rides lose HP VERY quickly once you start the Race! :scared: So don't get too "Cocky" if you build an early lead. Makes it very good for those of us who like close racing but could create a "Nail Biter" of a finish for those who don't.
Sorry I forgot to post "Fast Lap"...it was 1'20.539 & probably occured during the first thru third "Interval." (1st post edited.) THANX Again...O.G. :D

Back