Stage 4 and Stage 5 turbos? confused!

• Thread starter langy72
  • 44 comments
cheekylang
Hey...

Just wondering if anyone can explain to me why the stage 5 turbo kit is 8,000 less than a stage 4, but supposedly does the same thing and more? :boggled:

I've been a fan of the GT series since the very first, so i'm no n00b! But it just seems wierd how the stage 5 is practically the same as stage 4 (somewhat better when you read the scrolling descriptions of each) yet cheaper?

Ugh! Sort me out someone! lol

Langy72

Could it be because not all cars can have the stage 5 original turbo? I'm just guessing here, mind. But I tend do go for original parts, when available naturally. I don't know if the original suspension is particurlarly better than the fully customizable, but still...

The further along you go in the turbos, the less useful they become. A stage 5 isn't going to do you any good on a course that you have to use your breaks on. It'll take forever to get spun back up and provide any boost. But on the rare tracks like the Test Course where you're just hammer down the whole time it will add an absurd amount of horse power.

So it's less versitile. And therefore is worth less. And costs less.

Are you certain of that? I mean, in the description, the stage 5 turbo is giving you the advantages of a high level turbo, but without the lack of tourqe in the low rpm range. Thus making it extremely useful, even on technical courses. What you say is true from level 1 to 4 turbo, but I think the level 5 is slightly different in that respect.

Stian

ok, i think i get it... but how come the stage 4 costs more than the stage 5 yet in the descriptions it does the exact same thing... infact, the stage 5's description implies its better than the stage 4 due to it replacing loads of other parts of the car :boggled:

thanks for the quick replies btw, all are much appreciated :sly:

LoudMusic
The further along you go in the turbos, the less useful they become. A stage 5 isn't going to do you any good on a course that you have to use your breaks on. It'll take forever to get spun back up and provide any boost. But on the rare tracks like the Test Course where you're just hammer down the whole time it will add an absurd amount of horse power.

So it's less versitile. And therefore is worth less. And costs less.

that is probably because u have a 800hp car with a huge turbo. i use a lesser stage turbo if there are more turns and less straight.

langy72
ok, i think i get it... but how come the stage 4 costs more than the stage 5 yet in the descriptions it does the exact same thing... infact, the stage 5's description implies its better than the stage 4 due to it replacing loads of other parts of the car :boggled:

thanks for the quick replies btw, all are much appreciated :sly:

actually i have one for my rx7, i think that the stage 5 is less lag but not by much.

so the stage 5 is not as good as the stage 4 in most respects then due to it needing more time to kick in? but in another aspect it is better at providing more torque in lower revs....

ugh i'm completely contridicting myself lol. ok, people give there plus's and negative's on a stage 4 and a stage 5 so i can see which is better for what..

cheers all

Stage 4 pro's: Big boost in hp. Con's: Poor preformance until it gets going (so, useful in highspeed tracks where you don't need to slow down beneath it's work area)

Stage 5 pro's: Same as stage 4 (or a little less hp I think). Also it's preformance in slower speeds is good. I don't know the threshold for it. Sorry. Con's: Needs time to speed up as well, but less than the stage 4.

Overall stage 5 gives better value for creds.

ok cool, thanks loads for that stian :)

any other views/comments welcome, need as much info on this as poss so i dont make the same mistake upgrading my cars throughout the rest of the game!!

cheers

I've noticed a difference between a 4 and 5. Not a whole lot mind you, but for the price and if you have the option, go with the stage 5. Now the only exception is when you get the LM cars. Stick a stage 4 in those things and they l2U£€ž (rulez).

imho anything over a stage 2 ( or sometime 3 ) is not very useful, except for competing in the NHRA
I played the GT serie from the beginning and only use stage > 3 on banked oval racing.
When people talk about stage 4 or 5 for a rally car, I'm laughing my a$$ off :)

Excuse me a second guys, But in all time time I have played GT4, Nowhere under any manufacturer is a Stage 5 turbo...

There's 1 place I haven't tried and that's the Tuning Companies like Spoon & Blitz, I have never needed or wanted to go there... (I will some time when i get the chance to play)
But on the main setup screen you can only chose from either None, Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 and Stage 4 turbo's

And the only thing I know that has no turbo lag is the "Supercharger" which is crap and personally you're better off using Natural Aspiration Tuning
(NA Tuning, Level 3 often proves much more powerful then a supercharger if no turbo's are available)

So can someone explain where turbo stage 5 is...
or if there is no turbo 5, what this is Reffering to, the Supercharger?

Stage 4 is for big horsepower and stage 5 is for big torque. of course, there are some cars that break this rule.

Supra RZ '98 6.2mile
880 bhp/1103 nm of torque with stage 5
904 bhp/800 nm+ with stage 4.

then, 6.2mile 3000GT/GTO MR '95 can only have stage 4, and it makes 913 bhp/1003 nm with it.

I hope this cleared things out.

*cough* (deep voice)... i pity the fool! :)

whenever i get a car, i always check if it can be modded in a tuner village,
they have better suspension setups (if available) blah blah :sly:

however this will fry your noggin..... :crazy:

i have been driving the slower cars since having the game, and typically my cars have a max of a stage 2 turbo, however one of these cars which had a max of stage 2 also had a stage 5!!!! i couldn't believe it!!-although the hp of the 5 was slightly less of the 2!! :confused:

naturally i had to see which was best so i tried both turbos around the twisty track of the deep forest, my conclusion was they were both the same, but as the stage 2 had more hp i opted for that!

do all stage 5 turbos have less hp than the highest stage turbo for the respected car?

Ok, my conclusion is this: i believe the stage 5 is only really worthwhile on a car that has 100's of hp! 👍

Thanks guys, this information will help me in my research for etups i will be posting in the future to achieve over 300mph on slower cars (non racing cars)

(also armed with this knowledge i will see if i can get a stage 5 on the Minolta... and break 361mph without using nos :))

GT4 Freak
do all stage 5 turbos have less hp than the highest stage turbo for the respected car?
In most cases, yes. But out of the 150+ cars I've tuned, only one or two cars defied this reasoning.

Whenever I can go for the Stage 5 turbo, I'll go for it. It may have a few less horses than the other turbo, but it has a lot less lag. 👍

Ive tried a few cars with stage 5 turbochargers from the tuner village and always found the driveability much better than with the other stage 3/4 turbo's.

Although they produce slightly less power than a stage 4 they are aimed at driveability and not peak power for drag racing etc.

I think the emphasis is that they are "Tuner" parts, notice how the original suspension kits lower the car a lot more?, i think they are examples of what some of these very clever tuning companies are doing with components these days....?

Dave

Hey guys, me again.
Curious once again, Funny enough this is an Embarrassing moment
I have completed the game, gold, from beginning to end, flawlessly, yet I still don't know anything about the "Tuning Cars" (The thing near used cars late 90's & driving missions) place because I have never needed to go there...

Almost all the cars in my garage are pretty much nice looking or Le Mans Racing cars.
A big problem I "Think" is the fact none of my cars were Bought, Every car in my garage I won in a race, then I went around with that car to win another race and the car I would win from that one I'd use to complete another. Etc etc (Old trick I used from GT1)
The only cars I bought (that I can remember off the top of my head)

Lister Storm, Cizeta v16, Playstation Judd, Peugeot 905, BMW V12 LMR, Saleen S7 & The 4 black Le Mans cars (Mazda 7878, Nissan R92CP & R390 & the Toyota GT-ONE)
They are the only cars I ever purchased and kept, every other car in my list is a prize car (I kept all prize cars I liked and sold all under 100BHP or ones that didn't perform very well)

What kind of cars can be done in the Tuning Cars area? I'm not sure where to start, What kind of BHP range am I looking towards, No cars over 600 seem to be able to get into the place (so it seems) Am I aiming too high? Shall I go for old run down cars, cars around 300BHP?

Someone give me a few good cars I can use in the Tuning Cars area, I'm interested in these "Parts" that never normally concerned my style of racing
I think my Opera Performance car might be a tuning car so I'll try that out, until then a list of some good tuning cars would be nice please :)

Much appreciated.

Supras, Skylines, RX-7s, Silvias... = most Japanese sports cars and of course the tuned cars you can buy there! :)

ACP2005
Hey guys, Me again.
Curious once again, Funny enough this is Embarrassing
I have completed the game, gold, from beginning to end, flawlessly, yet I still don't know anything about the "Tuning Cars" place
(The thing near used cars late 90's & driving missions)

Since I’m a racer who normally has cars over 500bhp and almost all the cars in my garage are Le Mans cars that I can near enough beat anything with...

What kind of cars can be done in the Tuning Cars area? I'm not sure where to start, What kind of BHP range am I looking towards, No cars over 700 seem to be able to get into the place (so it seems) Am I aiming too high? Shall I go for old run down cars, cars around 300BHP?

Someone give me a few good cars I can use in the Tuning Cars area, I'm interested in these "Parts" that never normally concerned my style of racing

Its mostly Japanese companies and as such the Imprezas, Evo's etc usually fare well being tuned there. However you can get some great cars from the tuner companies also, such as the Amuse S2000 R1 and GT1, the HPA motorsports R32 Bi-Turbo Golf etc etc...

Dave

Tried out various Mitsubishi’s, Nissan’s, Stage 5 turbo is crap I think, personally, stage 4 gives better top speed and power, stage 5 costs less and spins up quicker, better for money values but not practical for top speed tests.
All the tuning cars are naff anyway (personal opinion), I prefer Le Mans racing cars such as Minolta, GT-One, Nissan r92cp or the formula one car.
Cars that go fast, accelerate fast, lightweight, stick to the road like glue and corner like a mad man

Nice to see a part of the game I normally would overlook though :)

Tried out various Mitsubishi’s, Nissan’s, Stage 5 turbo is crap I think, personally, stage 4 gives better top speed and power, stage 5 costs less and spins up quicker, better for money values but not practical for top speed tests.

I wouldnt say the stage 5 is x@x@, you could have worked out that the stage 4 is better for top speed by simply reading the descriptions that are given for them in game....

All the tuning cars are naff anyway (personal opinion),

Again your entitled to your opinion but Naff??? Given their competition some of the tuner cars are great, the Hpa R32 is possibly the best value car of all of them given its 500+bhp for little over 30k and the Amuse S2000 GT1 is an extremely fast and balanced machine...

regards

Dave

500+BHP for as little as 30K...
I have cars over 900BHP that cost me nothing.

As for the Amuse S2000 GT1
I'll go try this car out later since you hold it in high regard.

Thanks for your time and effort in explaining things for me anyhow.

ACP2005
500+BHP for as little as 30K...
I have cars over 900BHP that cost me nothing.

As for the Amuse S2000 GT1
I'll go try this car out later since you hold it in high regard.

Thanks for your time and effort in explaining things for me anyhow.

Yes true enough, but its not like you can start GT4 and jump into an LMP for nothing! I meant that the HPA is a bargain for the money and people just getting into the first stages of the game.....

And yes do try the GT1 👍

Getting back on topic i still think the tuner village has a big part in GT4 especially if you favour the Japanese cars, i usually tune mine there... :)

Dave

Dave_George
Getting back on topic i still think the tuner village has a big part in GT4 especially if you favour the Japanese cars, i usually tune mine there... :)

Dave

That, and buying cars that drift on stock settings, like the HKS or Blitz whips :dopey: Good for screwing around at the Gym.

I dont see how people can say the stage 4 is better than the 5 :dunce:

I have a 22B with the original stage 5 turbo and it is as fast as **** with no lag whatsoever. Ok yes it has slightly less hp than the normal stage 4 but who cares as the stage 4 has loads of lag.

I have a Skyline Nur with the stge 5 and it accelerates as fast as the Le Mans cars. Now what does that tell you?

It tells me that tuning in GT4 is off the scale and should be toned down for GT5! The immense tuning possible in GT4 is far too arcadelike for my taste.
Although a big part of bringing all that power into a car is to tame it and make it useful, and that is sort of fun, but I still prefer my cars in factory specs.
Unless I´m doing 300 mph speed tests of course! Luckily I have two gamesaves. One with factory spec cars, and one with insanity on it.

Latest Posts

Back