Yet another Nurburgring 24hr A-spec slog...

• Thread starter webber555
  • 19 comments
webber555
Let me start by dispelling some myths about this race - 24hrs is not a short time to be sitting in front of a tv screen, even if you do break it up, and yes a playstation can be left on for nearly two weeks without exploding.

Original plan was to complete this race over a few days, but after starting on Tuesday, march 29 at 10 am, it became clear this was going to change. At about 11 I got a call into work - I worked the rest of the week, friends came to stay over the weekend, and i worked all the next week. Time to drive was limited, so my trusty old ps2 stayed on pause 24/7 until I finished the race at 10pm on Sunday, april 10. Didn't even get hot, but I prayed for no power failures or accidental unpluggings!

The race then.... (sorry no pics)

Grid: Opel Calibra TC 94
AMG Mercedes 190E EVOII TC92
Nissan C-WEST RAZO SILVIA (JGTC) 01
BMW M3 GTR Race Car 01
Spoon S2000 Race Car 00
AMG Merc 190E EVOII TC92 (that's me!!!)

Tyres: R1 Superhards front and rear.

Lap1: A few things become clear quite quickly. As far as pace goes I will have no trouble, the Calibra is about 5 seconds behind after a slow opening lap warming my tyres - I shadowed it before passing at the karussell. The S2000 is the dog of the field. We shall see how they compare after the 1st stop. I chose R1's front and rear because the oversteer is too pronounced for my liking with softer fronts. anyway, it helps me refine my style if I coast through corners to conserve the rears.

Lap2: Actually seems like the M3 GTR is the closest on pace, about 15 seconds behind. The field is spreading quickly.

Lap5: I pit and am out again before the GTR pits as well! The calibra also pits - seems like a straightforward race. I used 46 litres of fuel - a little over half a tank.

Lap10: Have been very consistent - all laps within 5-10 seconds of each other. Fastest lap so far: 7:06.557. I might push for a sub 7 minute lap next stint.

Close - 7:02.624. Those last couple of seconds are hard to shave off, I have pulled a sub 7 minute time before a few times with softer tyres, but with R1's?

Lap19: 7:02.299

Lap22: 7:01.400

Lap23: 7:01.111

Lap 32: 7:00.220 - baulked slightly by lapping 3 cars including M3, so i am an entire lap ahead.

Lap40: First major mistake - I'm a bit tired and miss the pit entry - have to backtrack a little as I don't have enough fuel for another lap!

6hr Update: About 1.5 laps ahead, 51 laps down, so heading for about 200 laps all up.

Yah!!! Lap 52: 6:59.692. A few small mistakes, so there is still time to be made up, mainly in the the twisty forest section where you can be slow or wide - a very fine line.

Lap 85/86: Miss pit entry and go through first 2 chicanes before I realise - lose at least a minute here.

12hr Update: On lap 100 - about 2.5 laps ahead. a few mistakes here and there, mostly fatigue.

Lap 112: 6:57.941. A clean lap, except for running wide in the double right after the downhill esses in the forest. Felt fast. I'm thinking a 6:55.xxx would be the limit of my capabilities if I put together a clean, fast lap without any :ill: mistakes.

Lap 117: 6:57.456. Only minute, tiny mistakes now. I think this will be hard to beat.

Lap 128: 6:56.707. Very clean and smooth, didn't feel overly fast, but obviously was.

18hr Update: 149 laps down, still on target for 200. The sub 7 minute times are coming with ease now. I'm 4.5 laps ahead of P2.

FINISH: 199 laps complete. 6 laps ahead of the M3, don't care about the rest. I was crashing all over the place for the last few hours, hence I didn't reach 200 laps. Thank god that's over (and i'm not religious). my ps2 has earnt a rest. 👍

Nicely Done!!! 👍

Enjoyed the write up! Thanks for taking the time to share it... some pretty quick laps with that car too!

phattboy

Great write up!!!!
Sounds lke it was a decent race. I'm glad for you that you didn't have the Falken GTR Skyline on your butt the whole entire race like I did. It was nerve racking to say the least. So much that it wasn't enjoyable to a point. I would have felt alot better if I had a comfortable lead like yourself. But, hats off to you and anyone who tackle's the 24 hour races in A-spec.

Sounds like a nice fun race.

I myself am trying to decide what car to actually use as i dont wanna use the standard Touring car option but seems everything i try doesnt have the ability but ill keep checking out cars.

Infact ive just finished the Circuit De La Sarthe 24hr and won myself that shiny Bently :D Would have made a write-up but i didnt seem to need to as i was pulling out 5 seconds a lap so it wasnt that eventful though.

If i can find a car good enough and to my liking ill do the Nurburg on hopefully wednesday when i ve got 2 days off work in a row :D

Really nice write-up, I didn't know a ps2 can stay on for 2 WEEKS. I thought 2 days would really be the end of the ps2. Do you know if the slim new version of the ps2 can stay on for such a long time?

MaShEd_TaTeR
Really nice write-up, I didn't know a ps2 can stay on for 2 WEEKS. I thought 2 days would really be the end of the ps2. Do you know if the slim new version of the ps2 can stay on for such a long time?

I would imagine that if the vent and fan are clean, and the unit gets plenty of ventilation it should be fine. I left mine on for 3 days while I did the 24hr Ring.

I'll let you in on a little secret.... My ps2 sits on the floor, has a layer of dust on top and has dog hair in the front vents. The rear is clear though, and i had mild weather. I always thought most electronic equipment were like taxis - why do they do so many miles? Because they are never allowed to cool - it is the stopping and starting that buggers most equipment. My parents have a sound system hooked up to their TV that is on nearly all the time.... they have had it for 20 years!!! 2 weeks is nothing :crazy: ... It does highlight the need for a save feature though - could you imagine if it had died with 10 minutes to go... :ouch:

webber555
Let me start by dispelling some myths about this race - 24hrs is not a short time to be sitting in front of a tv screen, even if you do break it up, and yes a playstation can be left on for nearly two weeks without exploding.

Original plan was to complete this race over a few days, but after starting on Tuesday, march 29 at 10 am, it became clear this was going to change. At about 11 I got a call into work - I worked the rest of the week, friends came to stay over the weekend, and i worked all the next week. Time to drive was limited, so my trusty old ps2 stayed on pause 24/7 until I finished the race at 10pm on Sunday, april 10. Didn't even get hot, but I prayed for no power failures or accidental unpluggings!

The race then.... (sorry no pics)

Grid: Opel Calibra TC 94
AMG Mercedes 190E EVOII TC92
Nissan C-WEST RAZO SILVIA (JGTC) 01
BMW M3 GTR Race Car 01
Spoon S2000 Race Car 00
AMG Merc 190E EVOII TC92 (that's me!!!)

Tyres: R1 Superhards front and rear.

Lap1: A few things become clear quite quickly. As far as pace goes I will have no trouble, the Calibra is about 5 seconds behind after a slow opening lap warming my tyres - I shadowed it before passing at the karussell. The S2000 is the dog of the field. We shall see how they compare after the 1st stop. I chose R1's front and rear because the oversteer is too pronounced for my liking with softer fronts. anyway, it helps me refine my style if I coast through corners to conserve the rears.

Lap2: Actually seems like the M3 GTR is the closest on pace, about 15 seconds behind. The field is spreading quickly.

Lap5: I pit and am out again before the GTR pits as well! The calibra also pits - seems like a straightforward race. I used 46 litres of fuel - a little over half a tank.

Lap10: Have been very consistent - all laps within 5-10 seconds of each other. Fastest lap so far: 7:06.557. I might push for a sub 7 minute lap next stint.

Close - 7:02.624. Those last couple of seconds are hard to shave off, I have pulled a sub 7 minute time before a few times with softer tyres, but with R1's?

Lap19: 7:02.299

Lap22: 7:01.400

Lap23: 7:01.111

Lap 32: 7:00.220 - baulked slightly by lapping 3 cars including M3, so i am an entire lap ahead.

Lap40: First major mistake - I'm a bit tired and miss the pit entry - have to backtrack a little as I don't have enough fuel for another lap!

6hr Update: About 1.5 laps ahead, 51 laps down, so heading for about 200 laps all up.

Yah!!! Lap 52: 6:59.692. A few small mistakes, so there is still time to be made up, mainly in the the twisty forest section where you can be slow or wide - a very fine line.

Lap 85/86: Miss pit entry and go through first 2 chicanes before I realise - lose at least a minute here.

12hr Update: On lap 100 - about 2.5 laps ahead. a few mistakes here and there, mostly fatigue.

Lap 112: 6:57.941. A clean lap, except for running wide in the double right after the downhill esses in the forest. Felt fast. I'm thinking a 6:55.xxx would be the limit of my capabilities if I put together a clean, fast lap without any :ill: mistakes.

Lap 117: 6:57.456. Only minute, tiny mistakes now. I think this will be hard to beat.

Lap 128: 6:56.707. Very clean and smooth, didn't feel overly fast, but obviously was.

18hr Update: 149 laps down, still on target for 200. The sub 7 minute times are coming with ease now. I'm 4.5 laps ahead of P2.

FINISH: 199 laps complete. 6 laps ahead of the M3, don't care about the rest. I was crashing all over the place for the last few hours, hence I didn't reach 200 laps. Thank god that's over (and i'm not religious). my ps2 has earnt a rest. 👍

I think any 24 hour race is mental! One thing they could have done to is to put in save points. lol Like every few hours it would give you an option to save so you could at least shut your PS2 off. lol Without having to worry about power losses or accidental shut offs.

webber555
I'll let you in on a little secret.... My ps2 sits on the floor, has a layer of dust on top and has dog hair in the front vents. The rear is clear though, and i had mild weather. I always thought most electronic equipment were like taxis - why do they do so many miles? Because they are never allowed to cool - it is the stopping and starting that buggers most equipment. My parents have a sound system hooked up to their TV that is on nearly all the time.... they have had it for 20 years!!! 2 weeks is nothing :crazy: ... It does highlight the need for a save feature though - could you imagine if it had died with 10 minutes to go... :ouch:

I agree except for one thing. There is the element of the CD drive spinning all the time. However, that being said, I have been running a game specifically to train my b-spec driver to 10,000 100/100/100 using a method found in a different thread and on gamefaqs. I have a new slim version and quit bothering to turn it off. I even forgot about it for nearly a week while it sat there running/waiting for me to initiate another race for the B-spec driver. That thing has been on for over 3 weeks straight with absolutely no problems. I'm not doing anything special either (other than having it set there on the shelf with free air all around it) and I have it on the vertical stand.

phattboy

Me?? I just used an R92CP (w/1291hp) and just whooped em...at this very moment i'm doing Circuit de la Sarthe...with my Formula GT 04' (from Nurburgring) sorry I can't write up my race rightnow :(
dont feel like it...im having fun :D

Well, im doing the 24hr nurburgring right now in b-spec mode im only 6hrs:13mins into it ill be on it over night and im pulling laps at 6:12 can't wait till i get the f1 that's if it doesn't crash cause sometimes at the end of a race it freezes i hope it doesn't on this one..lol

sebastiaoburnay
in nurburgring 24 h, do you can stop in the middle and tomorrow continue?
You can only pause it. You can't save and turn off the PS2.

This race can damage my ps2, 24h turned on?

I've never had a problem, but I've got a new PS2. Some older ones pack up more easily (me included :( ). Make sure they're not in a hot room either, especially the slim PS2 if you've got one.

There are a few threads somewhere about it.

Back