4 Hours at Nurburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter Indoctrin
  • 16 comments
After much deliberation and testing of cars i decided for this race I'd use my stock Honda NSX Concept so it has 304bhp. why did i pick this car? Simple really it gives me a sufficient amount of a-spec points, its going to be competitive and its actually fast on the long straight.

The Field:

Honda NSX Type R 2002
Chevrolet Camaro SS 2000
Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe 2004
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII Mr GSR 2004
Honda NSX Type S 2001
Honda NSX Concept 2001 <--- me

Lap 1: And There They GOOO!!!! As the rolling start begins i realise im that by split T1 im going to be about 6 seconds down on the leader. I spend about two thirds of this lap trying to get past that damn Camaro which is just a rolling roadblock. It ake to the inside on a corner and it rams me off the damn road! Well two can play at that game so he flys off into the gravel on the next corner. Time to chase the lead NSX and its the Type R but by the end of the 1st lap im 7seconds back.

Lap 2: My first real lap gives me an 8'02.013 which gains me just half a second but i did make a few mistakes as i had taken 2seconds off him. We are both pulling away from the pack but the Type S is pulling its own little gap out in an attempt to catch us.

Lap 3: An awful lap even though it was 0.3 slower than my last lap. I must have made 7 or 8 mistakes as i cost myself 3 seconds. I wouldnt mind but the 3rd place car is actually catching me now.

Lap 4: As i speed towards Aremburg i run wide just before it and fly onto the grass so i dont have working brakes. 7 seconds are lost here as the gravel envelopes me. I HATE THIS CORNER!

Lap 5: I dont pit when i realise i should have this is a fatal mistake my tires are blood red and i lose 40 seconds to the Type R and i drop to 3rd. 2nd place pits so i follow suit and i take on fuel so im 3/4 full. Im hoping to keep my fuel at the same levels throughtout.

Lap 6: As i leave the pits im 1minute 46 down. Now this is one crazy lap. I gain a few seconds on the first three split sections but between T3 and T4 i take off 20 seconds. The Type R must be paying for this extra lap. By the end of it im actually 2nd! The leader lost his entire lead on me but i am still 13seconds down on the new leader.

Lap 7: This seems to be an ok lap here without much fualt until i enter the long straight. I run wide so im slow entering and miss out on atleast 10mph so im slower than normal. The usual 8'02 lap here which seems to be all my car is capable of.

Lap 8: The Aremburg mistake happens again to cost me more time but i increase my pace and concentrate more to take back about 5 seconds of the time i lost. Ive worked out a strategy for pits but ill have to wait until lap 10 to see if its worked out well for me.

Lap 9: The first lap of the race where i didnt lose time! BUT i didnt gain any time either i pit in and hope my plan actually works cause i really need it to!

Lap 10: The plan has worked a bit better than i actually expected. I knew the AI would take on a full take no matter how much fuel it had used while i in my four laps would use 34litres of fuel so thats the amount i would take on. My fuel goes back up to 60 and its finished before my tires are changed. As i was 33seconds down when the Type S pitted i expected to stay maybe 10 down but to my amazement i cross the finish line 0.709 seconds AHEAD!!! Now all ive gotta do is pull away!

Lap 11: The now 2nd place man is on fresh cold tires so i need to take advantage of his lack of grip and use my warmed up tires to effect. More minor mistakes kick in but i dont mind these as i know i have an advantage for the first time in the race. My 8'05 lap give me a 10seconds advantage.

Lap 12: A 7'57.770 lap is my fastest by almost 5 seconds and it extends my lead by a further 4, but i do realise that now i am actually half a second slower than the other 2 NSX's on the long straight. I work out that i need around 20seconds to keep the lead after my pit stop on at the end of the next lap.

Lap 13: I enter the pits with a 15.5 second advantage, so im, expecting to be around 5-10 seconds back when i exit. I push a bit harder than normal as the GTO is ahead and i wanna lap it.

Lap 14: I leave the pits 3 seconds down but i know ill lose more time on my fresh tires so i end up losing another 2 by the end of the lap but i know the leading Type S is going to pit at the end of the next lap so i know i should have the lead back soon.

2 Hour Update!!!
Gap between me and 1st: 5.340 seconds
Lap 15
Car Mileage : 190 miles

Lap 15: As i hit the halfway mark its time for a bifta break and some food. I come back after watching some well needed Comedy Store fun and i stay around 5 seconds down throughout the lap. As i exit the Mini Karussell i notice the leader is having some troubles. He has caught the GTO but he cant get past it both he and the GTO pit as i retake the lead.

Lap 16: My lead is 38seconds but i have the problem that i have to put next lap. I guess the Type S had even more troubles with the rolling roadblock that is the GTO.

Lap 17: I pit with a 40 second lead but i do notice something here. Only my left rear tire has turned slightly orange while normall my entire car is orange. I must be getting more used to the car so my tires are keeping a bit longer.

Lap 18: My fresh tires have cost me 7seconds but im pretty confident that if by lap 20 im at least 20 seconds ahead i should pretty much have this race in the bag.

Lap 19: It seems im destined to only have one exceptional lap in this caras it seems every lap is going to be around 8'02-8'05. With my lead up to around 16 seconds i feel ive pretty much won this race but perhaps i shouldnt count my chickens yet as there is always that damn Armeburg corner to contend with!

Lap 20: Finally!!! A sub 8 minute lap its not my fastest but it shows my intentions to pull away some mroe to try and secure victory even if i make a few mistakes. Im aiming for a 50 second lead as i have to pit on the next lap.

Lap 21: A very fast paced lap as i extened the gap to an entire minute but as i watched 2nd place i didnt actually notice the former leader the NSX Type R closing in as he has now taken 2nd place even though he hasnt been seen or heard of since lap 6. By my calculations he is due to pit this lap so he'll go back down to third.

Lap 22: My lead is back down to 44 seconds as i have to pit but with this gap ive gotta win now. The Type R pitted behind me and is now an estimated 15 seconds back on the Type S.

Lap 23: A couple of gravel based excursions hamper my progress as i lose 4 seconds. There is a back marker id say about 20 seconds down the road from me sop my aim is to catch him and make him another rolling road block.

Lap 24: A 7'58 gives me back the time i lost on the previous lap but i notice both me and the Type S will pit on the next lap (hopefully our last stops) so he cant really catch me as Stuey in family guy says.. VICTORY IS MINE!!!

Lap 25: I pit with a healthy lead but the back marking Camaro takes his lap back so i go chasing after him again but on my cold tires he doesnt pull away but i dont catch either.

Lap 26: The Camaro is lapped once more and my lead is now 33 seconds on the Type R which is back into 2nd but once again he's going to have to pit and lose his advantage. The Evo VIII is ahead of me around half a minute away so he has to be lapped!

Lap 27: As the Type R pits and lets the Type S through back into 2nd my lead is just over a minute and ive now got the Evo in my sights, so very soon it will help me gain even more time.

Lap 28: I actually manage to spin the car as i approach the miss-hit-miss but it only costs me 5 seconds, my main advantage is the Camaro is doing exactly what i want it to do. Neither of the other NSX's can force their way past it.

12 MINUTES TO GO!!!

Lap 29: 3 minutes to go as i pit for the final time. I would have slowed down to make those 3 minutes tick by but i didnt have enough of a lead so an extra lap is in order so i need some new tires but i refuse fuel, this actually aids me as the Evo has pitted and i manage to overtake it in the pits.

Lap 30: 4 hour 5 Minutes and 19.318 Seconds and victory really is mine.

Final Standings:

1st: Honda NSX Concept 2001
2nd: Honda NSX Type S 2001 + 40.174 seconds
3rd: Honda NSX Type R 2002 + 41.152 seconds
4th: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII Mr GSR 2004 + 1 Lap
5th: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2001 + 1 Lap
6th: Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe 2004 + 2 Laps

Fastest Lap : 7'57,770 set on lap 12.
Average Lap : around 8'05 mins.

I collect my 200,000 and my nice Chaparrel 2D '67 and sprint off to work!

The End :D

I know this was almost a month ago and buried on page three, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your win and thank you for a very interesting write-up. It was just too good of a race and a write-up to merit only one response, especially since the post next to it (on page 3), where someone did an "overkill" win, got a few more responses.

So, thanks for the write-up. I've been trying to decide which car I want to take to the Nurburgring 4 Hours race (something stock, preferably underpowered to give more of a challenge), so this has really helped. 👍

BTW, love the "Family Guy" reference, glad it's back on the air. Stewie's "Victory is mine!" is something I yell out after a hard-fought win, too. :)

I just A-Spec'd the 4h Endurance last night in a fully tuned 190E. It was marvelous. I was averaging 7'40 times and at the end of the race I was a lap and a half ahead of the NSX Type S in second place.

The other contenders were Corvette Grand Sport, Impreza Sp.C, M Coupe and Coupe Turbo.

👍 Excellent write up!
Lap by lap account is my sort of thing! Haven't done any endurance races in GT4 yet, but reading this has got me ready to go....just got to hit 25% first.
Now I know what sort of competition I'll be facing I can make an educated guess at a suitable vehicle for doing this, that'll make it fun and exciting with a narrow margin of victory. :drool:
No winning by laps & laps for this racer 👎

Nice job! I don't think I remember reading that.

I absolutely love that NSX concept and recently did this 4 hour enduro in it with the only "modification" being an oil change. My competition was almost the very same and I intended to A-spec the whole race but something came up an hour into the race so I had Jenks, my B-spec driver, take over. I was putting 6-10 seconds on the second place car NSX type R and had Jenks take over when I had a comfortable 1:30 lead. Time to head out the door, put him on pace 3 w/ overtake.

Two hours later I return only to find that good old Jenks is no longer in the lead, in fact he's 2 minutes down in second place!! Alright, time to bring him in and turn up the wick. Unfortunately I've consumed a few beers in those two hours I was gone so I'm not exactly in top form and the first few laps are peppered with numerous offs. Then I finally get in to my rhythm and I'm really flying now. Best times are coming with consistent 7:38s. I'm taking off 30 seconds a lap on the number 1 car.

I thought I would be able to catch the number one car with time to spare but after recalculating after my last pit stop I find that I've only got 2 laps left to pass him and I'm still a minute down. Pushing as hard as I dare now going flat out at every part but braking early so as to stay out of trouble. I finally squeeze by him on the super fast Klostertal (?) uphill section and hang in there for the last couple minutes to take a well deserved checkered flag! :)

Sorry I can't remember all the particulars blow by blow like Indoctrin's post but this was a week ago.

videogame adict
The lines of Stewie:
BLAST
DAMN YOU ALL!
and my fav VICTORY IS MINE!

I don't think this has much to do with a write up, did you post in the wrong thread?

Back on topic, I haven't been to the GT4 boards for ages because of Forza but damn Indoctrin, you do a great write up :) .

Um. If you finish in fewer laps, that means you went slower. If you won with 28 laps, you must have been up against an unusually slow field. If you're going to beat the Opel Speedster, I think you need to manage 31 laps. (Only ever beat him in B-spec).

what's the best car to use? i'm deciding it. the minolta is too fast; even the amuse s2000 is good. the elise 111 sounds good also

The "Amuse S2000 R1" is way to fast even with S1 tyres and max Ballast against 1 of the hardest lineups.

My Result:

4hr Nurburgring 200 A-Spec

Lineup

1 Ford FOCUS RS `02
2 Honda NSX Type S `01
3 Opel Speedster Turbo `00
4 Jaguar XKR R-Performance `02
5 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo `00

Car: AMUSE S2000 R1 `04
Color: Monza Red Pearl
259HP 1320kg PWR 5.09

Mod: