Winning NY Enduro "On the Cheap!"

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 17 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
I originally posted this at another venue on Mar 25 2005. That one has VERY Limited viewership however so I thought I'd post it again here at my Favorite Forum.

👍 EUREKA...I HAVE FOUND IT!!! 👍​

As most of you have probably already discovered...the "One Make" races are pretty "Pathetic." I mean buy a Vitz & win a Vitz? Come On!!! Sure there are a couple of exceptions but most are not too exciting, Race OR Prize wise.

Earlier today I stumbled onto a thread discussing an old Corvette Race Car so set about winning it. Tried the '54 Vette I won somewhere stock but PD actually got this one right..."Weak" 6-cylinder AND TWO Speed Powerglide!!! Quickly figured that for what it would cost to "Hop It Up" I'd just buy a Z06 in MY Choice of color! (And what good would a Full Race 2 Speed be anyway? :confused: )

Totally stock the Z06 was more than enough for the other Vettes & in short order the Racer was mine. Drove it (the Racer) a bit & immediately thought; "PD Finally got the V8 exhaust sound Close!" Still can't figure out how they blew the sound of the '69 Camaro :irked: ought to sound pretty much like this ride...NO? Anyway the car is a real "Gas" to drive even though it comes with a pre-installed 5-Speed. Apparently PD doesn't realize that 4-speeds were the "Hot Ticket" back in '63! Brakes are "HORRIBLE" & can NOT be upgraded but that's a minor deal. 639 HP seems a bit much for a small block, I think about 400 would have been more realistic but the 8 grand Red Line is nice. (Can't wait for a new MK's so I can take a little HP "Out" of it!)
Tweaked the suspension just a little, noticed the Final Drive was 3.700 (Right where it belongs!) so only adjusted the trans' Auto Set. Now I'm thinkin' "Where am I gonna use this thing?"

When I researched the Enduros I noted the AI @ New York consisted of "Luxury Hot Rods" so peeked in again to make sure. Yep, Zondas, TVRs, Aston Martins & AMG Mercedes everywhere. The only "Fly in the Ointment" was the requirement that Sport Tyres be fitted. I bought all three sets, ran a couple of test laps & entered. Figured since the race is in the USA I'd show these "Foreigners" what some fine old " American Iron" was like! :lol: Yeh, a 42 year old Ride with a 59 year old Driver! Turned out to be not quite as close as I'd have liked (Besting the lead TVR by 3+Laps) but overall I'd have to say it was 76 Laps of total enjoyment! 👍 The Sport Tyres negated the Vette's previously steady handling to the point she was a "Handful" most of the time. :eek: But a "Blast" none the less.

All I can say is, "Try it...you'll like it!" :) For the low cost of a Z06 you can have a lot of fun & then sell the '63 for 106,000 credits if you wish! 👍 ...O.G. :D

mmmmm can i have that in english please?

seriously, i love your style (and knowledge) dood!!

i wish i understood more about cars :dunce: i rarely bother with the tweaking side of GT4 (mmmm well any variant of GT)

think i'll investigate the tuning section of this site, i might learn something!! (well, a lot...)

keep it up, fella!!

Hmm, yeah, I also have problems looking for a decent race to put it in, but the New York is not the choice if I want a challenge if I believe you. I guess this thing is also faster than those DTM/JGTC cars. Thanks for the write up. Not the best I've seen from you, but it's better than most of the others ;)

THANX Guys! 👍
Yeh, it wasn't originally meant to be posted here, so it's a little short on Data.

I can only assume Phil McCavity is referring to "EUREKA...I HAVE FOUND IT!!!" That's supposedly what the fellow who discovered GOLD in California in 1849 uttered upon unearthing a "Nugget." (Could be mistaken however...as I frequently am.) :irked: ...O.G. :D

EDIT: I've gone back & removed some of the "Slang" non-US readers might not understand. It wasn't originally posted in a forum quite as "Cosmopolitan" as this one. :)

Old Geezer
639 HP seems a bit much for a small block, I think about 400 would have been more realistic but the 8 grand Red Line is nice. (Can't wait for a new MK's so I can take a little HP "Out" of it!)

Have you tried driving it in Arcade Time Trial? You could knock 20% off that power to get a bit closer to your estimate. I've got that car but haven't even tried it yet, I'm going home to drive it right now! 💡

Great, short write-up O.G.! Your expressionate style always adds a personal flare to it and somehow makes up for the lagging details. :lol: The racing tranny for the 2-speed powerglide is a conventional 5-speed, and believe me, the extra cogs help! Hope to see more of your work! :cheers:

Jetboy

Phil McCavity
mmmmm can i have that in english please?

seriously, i love your style (and knowledge) dood!!

i wish i understood more about cars :dunce: i rarely bother with the tweaking side of GT4 (mmmm well any variant of GT)

think i'll investigate the tuning section of this site, i might learn something!! (well, a lot...)

keep it up, fella!!

I felt the same way after I got GT1. I started reading "Sport Compact Car" and "Turbo & Hightech Performance".

But what has helped me more than anything was buying a car for me to play with that wasn't my daily driver. I spent $2000 and bought a 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Fairlady Z, Z31 in GT4). I knew it had some problems, but it was to learn on and build how I wanted it to be. I've learned tons now and I understand a lot more about what makes a car fast and how everything works together. If you can manage it, I recommend doing something like that.

Old Geezer
Earlier today I stumbled onto a thread discussing an old Corvette Race Car so set about winning it.

Totally stock the Z06 was more than enough for the other Vettes & in short order the Racer was mine.

I've seen that Corvette racer (it's a C2 corvette, right?), and I'd love to get my hands on it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the prize car list. Mind sharing which event you won it from?

I liked it GEEZ!!! Another good one! 👍

Details? We don't need no stinkin' details :lol: I do have a question though... Did the '63 run a small block? I was thinking it was like a 427? But, maybe that was later... Guess I'm not "Car Crazy" enough.

phattboy

Luxy
I've seen that Corvette racer (it's a C2 corvette, right?), and I'd love to get my hands on it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the prize car list. Mind sharing which event you won it from?

Vette! Vette! Vette! (Manufacturers Races- USA- Cheverolet)

phattboy

u win the Chevy Corvette Z06 (C2) '63 in the "Corvette Series"

i used my Corvette Convertible (C1) '54 to win it (i didnt mind the cost of modding it, as i've used this 'vette to win the El Cap 200 miles and the World Classic Car)

THANX for Helping LUXY out guys! 👍
I was actually watchin' the "Telly!" :lol:

@ phattboy:
The Chevy "Fat Block" probably did debut around that time but NOT as a 427". First it was introduced as a 396". ( A couple of buddies of mine ran a 360" version at Bonneville that they "Said" was a "Dump Truck Motor.") :confused: Later it went on to become the 454" & the basis for 500"+ Pro Stock powerplants. One thing I do know, NO Factory Fat Block was "Living" at 8,000rpm in those days! (& VERY few "Small Blocks" were either!)

@ Jetboys427 & Phil McCavity:
THANX for the '54 info. I'll go back & "Hop Up" the Classic & see if I can use it somewhere...O.G. :D

Old Geezer
... One thing I do know, NO Factory Fat Block was "Living" at 8,000rpm in those days! (& VERY few "Small Blocks" were either!)

De go BOOM-BOOM??? :lol:

phattboy (wanting phattblock for his F(ph)J40 now)

hey, I kinda like this 'vette Z06 C2 '63.... love the engine sound <5000 rpm!! very raunchy!!

i just bunged a stage 4 turbo on it, set the tranny to 18 and won the "Like the Wind" race! (1 sec ahead of the Jag XJR9 Race car, Minolta was 3rd)... very easy 200 "a" spec pts!! :)

phattboy
De go BOOM-BOOM??? :lol:

phattboy (wanting phattblock for his F(ph)J40 now)
:lol::lol: More like...KA-BOOM-BOOM!!!:lol::lol:

@ "Phil": WOW! Winning "Like the Wind" with the old Vette? I AM impressed! 👍
...O.G. :D

i think i was lucky the 1st time i did "Like the Wind", i had a field i could slipstream my way to the front

just redid, the Vertigo was too easy to pass.... then had nothing to slipstream! the r92cp and minolta pitted at 3, but the AMG Merc CLK-GTR didnt. I was 13 secs behind it at the end

did again, hehe

passed the vertigo again, far too slow! couldnt quite catch the toyota gt-one and others, the sauber was way out in front

so no slipstream again.... was gonna just quit the race, but thought i'd carry on.....

gt-one, r92cp and sauber pitted at 3. but i was still a way behind the r90 gt1... then he pitted at 4 hahahaha, victory is mine!! beat the sauber and r92cp by 13 secs.... oh i know, only cos they had to pit!!

Phil McCavity
did again, hehe

passed the vertigo again, far too slow! couldnt quite catch the toyota gt-one and others, the sauber was way out in front

so no slipstream again.... was gonna just quit the race, but thought i'd carry on.....

gt-one, r92cp and sauber pitted at 3. but i was still a way behind the r90 gt1... then he pitted at 4 hahahaha, victory is mine!! beat the sauber and r92cp by 13 secs.... oh i know, only cos they had to pit!!

A win is a win is a win!

Who is to say any win that anyone gets isn't because someone had to pit or someone else wrecked. Check Biffle's win in Texas- Nextel (pun) me there wasn't some luck involved there. It is not that skill on his and his crew's part wasn't part of the equation, but just to say there is always a luck factor... To get through all those wrecks unscathed no matter how good you are.

phattboy

Back