F1 Championship

• Thread starter yeti
  • 20 comments
yeti_c
I thought I'd do a comprehensive write up of the F1 Championship so that others can see that it is easily possible to win in B-spec mode.

I've finally finished this long and gruelling championship...

Opposition
Red Formula 1
Blue Formula 1
Grey Forumla 1
Green & Yellow Formula 1
Yellow & Green Formula 1.
Me: White & Purple Formula 1.

Last Updated : 15th June 2005

Race 1
Tokyo 246
Grid Position : 1.
Pit Strategy : 7 laps.
Gear Setting : Auto 16.
Other Changes : None.
Refuelling strategy : 30 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Place : 1
Running Strategy : 3 + Overtake
Description of race : I was very nervous going into this race as I wasn't sure whether or not you could win the F1 championship with B-spec (I'd heard a number of people mention that it was hard too.) I started in 1st and this went back and forth quite a bit until the first pit stop. I didn't refuel and this started to show from then on in... I was consistently a touch quicker than the other 5 cars. After the 2nd pit stop I had generated a 2 second lead... and this got bigger as the race wore on. After the 3rd pit stop I had a commanding 5 second lead. This repeated itself until the end of the race and I won by 8 seconds. (Oddly enough the car that came in to pit one lap early on the first stint came in 2nd...)

Positions.
Me = 10
Grey = 6
Green & Yellow = 4
Red = 3
Blue = 2
Yellow & Green = 1

Race 2
Super Speedway
Pit Strategy : 12 laps.
Refuelling strategy : 25 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Running Strategy : 3/4/5 + Overtake (This is pretty much immaterial on this track)
Description of race : This race was easy... I won by 1 lap to 2nd and 3rd and 2 laps to 4th 5th and 6th. The key was pitting a lap later than everyone else... B-spec Dude could carry on round for another lap no problems (In fact I reckon he could've done more easily) and instead of 11 lap stints I was doing 12 lap stints. This meant that I pitted once less than the AI thus giving me an extra 30 seconds worth of lead. (My last lap per stint was only about .2 - .5 seconds slower than normal) After about lap 60 I was also free of the chasing pack. If they were too close (About 2 seconds) then they would real me in via drafting me little bits per lap.

Positions.
Me = 10 +10=20
Blue = 6 +2=8
Red = 4 +3=7
Yellow & Green = 3 +1=4
Grey = 2 +6=8
Green & Yellow = 1 +4=5

Standings:
Me = 20
Grey = 8
Blue = 8
Red = 7
Green & Yellow = 5
Yellow & Green = 4

Race 3
New York
Pit Strategy : 8/9 laps.
Refuelling strategy : 30 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Description of race : This race was a surprise. B-spec dude had his oats this morning as within 3 laps he was 10 seconds up and running consistently half a second quicker than the rest. Once or twice the second placer managed to take a few milliseconds out of my time but but at the end of the race I was a good half a lap in front despite having to pit a lap earlier than the 2nd placer (most times I adjusted it a bit to ensure that I didn't have to pit with 2 laps to go.)

Positions.
Me = 10 +20=30
Red = 6 +7=13
Green & Yellow = 4 +5=9
Blue = 3 +8=11
Grey = 2 +8=10
Yellow & Green = 1 +4=5

Standings:
Me = 30
Red = 13
Blue = 11
Grey = 10
Green & Yellow = 9
Yellow & Green = 5

Race 4
High Speed Ring
Grid Position : 6. <- Started in A-spec for this race.
Pit Strategy : 11 laps.
Refuelling strategy : 35 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Description of race : Last night I had more time on my hands than normal so I ran the first two stints and had a huge lap and a half lead running 52 second laps (Fastest being 51.725) but when I swapped to B-spec the best he could manage was a 56... averaged a 58-59 yet the AI was doing 55-56... so I'm glad that I did A-spec it a bit. So B-spec managed to whittle most of that down to about a lap. I took over in the 6th stint (Total of 7) and took it from a 1 lap lead to pulling into the pits behind the pack for a 2 lap lead and let B-spec finish it off. The really odd thing here was I was running 11lap stints and was coming in when my lefts were Orange... yet B-spec dude was running 10lappers (Although I forced him to do 11 cos I didn't want him to ruin the strategy) and was coming in with red fronts. I always usually find that I eat tyres more than B-spec dude... but not this time... and the wear pattern being completely different surprised me too. I guess that shows you how good the tyre wear is simulated in this game!

Positions.
Me = 10 +30=40
Grey = 6 +10=16
Red = 3 +13=16
Yellow & Green = 3 +5=8
Blue = 2 +11=13
Green & Yellow = 2 +9=11

Standings:
Me = 40
Red = 16
Grey = 16
Blue = 13
Green & Yellow = 11
Yellow & Green = 8

Note: These Standings are up to date but as you can see the points from the last few are a bit off so I've adjusted them here!! If I get a bit of a chance I may try and calculate the correct values so they all work!!

Race 5
Grand Valley Speedway
Description of race : Once again B-spec dude had eaten his oats this morning... He got off to a flyer... and after the first lap was 2 seconds ahead... As previously my gears were a bit longer than everyone elses... this track is where it really showed. The long home straight and fast curves after the harpin won me this race. The middle back section was a bit slower but I was lapping in 1.:34's and the AI was lapping in 1:35's. Bizarrely though I had to pit every 7 laps... whereas the AI pitted every 8 laps. But my 2 seconds a lap meant that by the time I pitted twice during one of his stints I came out 15 seconds in the lead and was well on the way to victory. This race was pretty easy and all I had to do was sit back and let him win for me!

Positions.
Me = 10 +40=50
Blue = 6 +18=18
Grey = 4 +10=20
Red = 3 +16=19
Yellow & Green = 2 +8=10
Green & Yellow = 1 +11=12

Standings:
Me = 50
Grey = 20
Red = 19
Blue = 18
Green & Yellow = 12
Yellow & Green = 10

Race 6
Circuit de la Sarthe
Pit Strategy : 3/5 laps.
Refuelling strategy : 40 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Description of race : This race was interesting!! I started off in first and after the first lap me and the Blue car were swapping the lead. Then he crashed on the straight and I was left 15 seconds ahead into the 1st put stop... I thought that would be it... no problems... So I went for a cigarette and left him too it... I came back... he'd pitted in on the 6th lap (On schedule) but was now 20 seconds down!! DOH! I attributed some of this to me not being there to press OK and some more for him refilling his tank to full... but that wouldn't be all of it... he must have crashed on the straight as well (All of the AI but 1 must have done it at least once now!) So on lap 9 I took over... I was 20 seconds down and after 3 laps was 5 seconds down with the 1st placer in my sights when he dived into the pits... I checked my tyres and realised they were barely yellow so carried on for another 2 laps... still turning 5 seconds more than the 2nd placer... then I pitted. By accident I accelerated in the pits as the menu came up and I OK'd driving again!!! So I did another 3 lap stint (Was meant to be going out soon!) and pitted again leaving 6 laps for B-spec dude to do... and being a minute up (The 2nd placer had crashed as well thus giving me more time!) and all was no probs... he pitted after 3 laps as did the AI (My new strategy was good though as I left him with no spare laps and the AI pitted with 2 laps to go so therefore wasted a lap of tyres.) and he won by a minute and a half (AI had 1 more pit than him when I left him). So basically I would've won the race if I hadn't crashed... then again the AI was crashing so it made it was fair. Note Always modify suspension before this race! (I forgot!)

Positions.
Me = 10 +50=60
Yellow & Green = 6 +10=16
Grey = 4 +20=24
Green & Yellow = 3 +12=15
Red = 2 +19=21
Blue = 1 +18=19

Standings:
Me = 60
Grey = 24
Red = 21
Blue = 19
Yellow & Green = 16
Green & Yellow = 15

Race 7
Cote d'Azur
Pit Strategy : 8 laps.
Gear Setting : Auto 10.
Refuelling strategy : 25 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +60=70
Blue = 6 +23=29
Green & Yellow = 4 +23=27
Yellow & Green = 3 +10=13
Red = 2 +18=20
Grey = 1 +22=23

Standings:
Me = 60
Blue = 29
Green & Yellow = 27
Grey = 24
Red = 20
Yellow & Green = 13

Race 8
Soeul
Pit Strategy : 14 laps.
Gear Setting : Auto 14.
Refuelling strategy : 35 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +70=80
Red = 6 +20=26
Yellow & Green = 4 +13=17
Blue = 3 +29=32
Grey = 2 +23=25
Green & Yellow = 1 +27=28

Standings:
Me = 80
Blue = 32
Green & Yellow = 28
Red = 26
Grey = 25
Yellow & Green = 17

Race 9
Infineon
Gear Setting : Auto 13.
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +80=90
Red = 6 +26=32
Blue = 4 +32=36
Grey = 3 +25=28
Green & Yellow = 2 +28=30
Yellow & Green = 1 +17=18

Standings:
Me = 90
Blue = 36
Red = 32
Green & Yellow = 30
Grey = 28
Yellow & Green = 18

Race 10
Laguna Seca
Pit Strategy : 9/10 laps.
Gear Setting : Auto 11.
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +90=100
Blue = 6 +36=42
Green & Yellow = 4 +30=34
Grey = 3 +28=31
Yellow & Green = 2 +18=20
Red = 1 +32=33

Standings:
Me = 100
Blue = 42
Green & Yellow = 34
Red = 33
Grey = 31
Yellow & Green = 20

Race 11
Motegi
Pit Strategy : 8 laps.
Description of race : The worlds most boring race... started in first ended in first everyone pitted every 8 laps... yawn!

Positions.
Me = 10 +100=110
Green & Yellow = 6 +34=40
Red = 4 +33=37
Blue = 3 +42=45
Grey = 2 +31=33
Yellow & Green = 1 +20=21

Standings:
Me = 110
Blue = 45
Green & Yellow = 40
Red = 37
Grey = 33
Yellow & Green = 21

Race 12
Nurburgring
Grid Position : 6. <- Couldn't be bothered to run 15 mins to qualify (And not sure if I could!)
Pit Strategy : 1 lap.
Other Changes : Suspension down by 4kg Ride height maximum.
Refuelling strategy : 20 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 4th Pit stop.
Running Strategy : 3/4 + Overtake
Description of race : My Strategy for this race was 100% sound... I only lost by a place because I was using strategy 4 to make sure that I would make up the time on each lap. After failing to win I ran this again (At the end of the championship) on speed 3 and won convincingly. There is one bend that I reduced B-spec dude to 2 for and I'm not sure of its name at the moment but it's a right hander about a quarter of the way round the track. If he falls off there he can lose 10 - 30 seconds. Which is V bad. The 1 stop strategy works as on the first lap you are faster than normal B-speccers except for the pit stop so you lose 10 seconds. On the 2nd lap you are faster by 25 seconds. (Including Pit stop) Therefore every two laps you gain 15 seconds.

Positions.
Blue = 10 +45=55
Me = 6 +110=116
Yellow & Green = 4 +21=25
Grey = 3 +33=36
Green & Yellow = 2 +40=42
Red = 1 +37=38

Standings:
Me = 116
Blue = 55
Green & Yellow = 42
Red = 38
Grey = 36
Yellow & Green = 25

Race 13
El Capitan
Pit Strategy : 6 lap.
Gear Setting : Auto 14.
Other Changes : None
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +116=126
Blue = 6 +55=61
Red = 4 +38=42
Green & Yellow = 3 +42=45
Grey = 2 +36=38
Yellow & Green = 1 +25=26

Standings:
Me = 126
Blue = 61
Green & Yellow = 45
Red = 42
Grey = 38
Yellow & Green = 26

Race 14
Fuji 2005
Pit Strategy : 9 lap.
Gear Setting : Auto 17.
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +126=136
Red = 6 +42=48
Blue = 4 +61=65
Green & Yellow = 3 +45=48
Grey = 2 +38=40
Yellow & Green = 1 +26=27

Standings:
Me = 136
Blue = 65
Green & Yellow = 48
Red = 48
Grey = 40
Yellow & Green = 27

Race 15
Suzuka
Grid Position : 2. (Fell off the track on first bend so did well to make up this time!)
Pit Strategy : 6 lap.
Refuelling strategy : 28 units. Once empty. I first had to refuel on the 3rd Pit stop.
Description of race :

Positions.
Me = 10 +136=146
Grey = 6 +40=46
Green & Yellow = 4 +48=52
Yellow & Green = 3 +27=30
Red = 2 +48=50
Blue = 1 +65=66

Final Standings:
Me = 146
Blue = 66
Green & Yellow = 52
Red = 50
Grey = 46
Yellow & Green = 30

C.

Hey, good idea.. 👍

I was wondering though, what are you b-spec stats? I did this in b-spec some time ago and won the first race by an entire lap! Wa very surprised. My b-spec was somewhere 'round 7100. However, the second race (super speedway) was very difficult and my first try failed and I finished 6th. Weird. Newyork was very diffficult in the first 20 laps but then i pulled away by perhaps 2 seconds each lap.. Seems inconcistent. Have you had any of these experiences?

Cheers!

PanzerFaust
Hey, good idea.. 👍

I was wondering though, what are you b-spec stats? I did this in b-spec some time ago and won the first race by an entire lap! Wa very surprised. My b-spec was somewhere 'round 7100. However, the second race (super speedway) was very difficult and my first try failed and I finished 6th. Weird. Newyork was very diffficult in the first 20 laps but then i pulled away by perhaps 2 seconds each lap.. Seems inconcistent. Have you had any of these experiences?

Cheers!

Hiya,

My B-spec stats are about 7500 ish. with more course skill than anything!
(Check back here in a bit when I've had time to update this more...)

C.

Good stuff Yeti, this will be good info when I finally get around to going at this championship with an F1 car, since I won't have as much time in the future. Thanks for the upcoming write up.

Are you tuning your gears between races ?

What settings have you changed from default ?

I can not remember what my B-Spec stats were when I did this but I very carefully tuned my gears which made it a very easy series. The only one i struggled with was Nordschleife but in the end I let B-Spec Bob have his frredom and left him on 2x overtake and he won by 40 seconds.

gumpy
Are you tuning your gears between races ?

What settings have you changed from default ?

I can not remember what my B-Spec stats were when I did this but I very carefully tuned my gears which made it a very easy series. The only one i struggled with was Nordschleife but in the end I let B-Spec Bob have his frredom and left him on 2x overtake and he won by 40 seconds.

I think I extended the gears out 2 notches but otherwise the car is 100% stock.

C.

So you are not changing the gears between each race ?
If you do you should get bigger margins at some tracks. Cote D'Azur needs shorter gears for example.

gumpy
So you are not changing the gears between each race ?
If you do you should get bigger margins at some tracks. Cote D'Azur needs shorter gears for example.

You're probably correct... at the moment the 3 course's I've done haven't needed them... but I may do so for the later tracks as and when I come to them...

I'll add this into the write up (Once I've checked what Gears I already have!)

C.

Hey good info. I can't wait until you get the Nurburgring done. It's the last race I have to do to get 100% and I just cant beat it. My B-spec guy cant either. The only way he can even keep up is if I set the driving style to 4 but then he spins out. Does anyone have any tips/car settings they used? Thanks.

Tomek6
...I can't wait until you get the Nurburgring done. It's the last race I have to do to get 100% and I just cant beat it...

I find the AI drivers to be extremely aggressive and belligerent on the 'Ring. I get my butt kicked, and they knock Bob off the track whenever he tries to pass.

Anybody else seen this?

I haven't done this race yet, but from what I've heard, the AI pits every other lap, when the tires only last a lap and a half. If this is true, you should be fine by just pitting on every lap. Lame, I know, but I guess it works.

I keep trying to do the race over and over and I find that Bob does ok even on the destroyed tires. It's not worth the time loss if he pits even if he spins out. Maybe toying with the gear ratios would help make passing easier as I've noticed what Zardoz describes as well. I've done the 24h race with the F1 car in Bspec mode 3 times already so the track experience is there. On my next try I will make the suspension a bit softer than stock cause the ring is very bumpy maybe that will stop the spin outs.

UPDATE: There will be no need for another try. It seems the key is adjusting the driving style throughout different parts of the track and a good fuel strategy. I won the race with the car setting completely stock and the setting set to 4 most of the time. The first 2 laps seemed like it wasn't going to go in my favour. I overtook the first 2 cars but was having trouble getting 3rd place. While Bob was fighting for 3rd. 1st and 2nd pulled away to a 6 second lead. Time to pit: no fuel on this pitstop. The next 2 laps I overtook the 3rd place car by switching to the "push" driving style when it looked like there was a passing opportunity then putting it back down to 4 "fast". Lap 4 time to pit: No fuel once again. The next 2 laps I managed to pass 2nd place using the 5 setting kept it on 5 to gain some time so he could not catch up by drafting. Lap 6 time to pit: from here on I kept the fuel at 34-35. Did the same thing to gain 1st place and each pit stop I kept refueling to 34-35. I won with a lead of 50 seconds.

if you start first and get some good setting on your car you should pwn the AI with b spec mode in every race, but then again my b spec skill is 92. :sly:

Im Tha R8 King!
sooooooo :confused: ........wat car did you win??????( i want to know BAD!!!)

GOOD JOD THAT SOUNDS LIKE A TOUGH TOURNAMENT!!! :cheers: :cool:

I won the Mercedes Sauber C9...

However I fear using it as to get another "fresh" version I would have to run these 15 races again... and that took long enough the first time with B-spec!

C.

That's a good race report. I found that setting 4 race strategy on the first race is much more convenient though, it gave me a 1 lap lead over the 2nd position :) Also all of the cars did 9-lap pits, including me. Now I'm onto the 2nd race

Update: I'm on the 6th race now. Still won all of them. At some tracks it pays off so set it to setting 4. In some of the races I ran a couple of laps due to b-spec guy not being able to pull away from the pack.

Btw. my b-spec is 6.000-6.500 and he does just fine.

Update 2: And that thing with AI's crashing on the mulsanne straight is a bug. Mine is doing just that right now. I'm not sure if it's on other versions than the PAL version though.

My b-spec driver is 6,300 and I put him on 5 every race. It barely crashes.
The f1 car somehow does a lot better with 5 (push). It always has trouble over-taking. The ring (race 4), however has 1 turn that my driver messes up with yellow tires.

Back