Gran Turismo World Championship

• Thread starter phubarb
  • 2 comments
Hey guys. Some of you might remember me posting this about a month ago in the 'Beat GT Championship thread'. I'd gotten up to race 6 but then stopped playing GT4 for a while (yes, you read that right!). Well now I'm back and ready to finish what I started. Here it is from the start:

"I'm currently doing this championship in my Zonda LM Race Car, stage 4 turbo.
Around 63 A-Spec points for each race.

1st Race: Tokyo R246
I'm up against the Minolta Toyota, Nissan 92, and 89 race cars, CLK GTR and the Vertigo race car. I used soft tyres to qualify first. Then I put racing medium tyres on the front and hard on the back to start of the race.
Apart from the start (I was beaten slightly in acceleration) the Zonda did well and I was slowly gaining about 1 second each lap. I pitted on lap 6-7 and they pitted one lap after. Won by about 10 secs.

2nd Race: Twin Ring Motegi SS
Again used RS tyres to qualify but only managed second. Poor Zonda was instantly overpowered from the word go. Minolta and both Nissans were steadily gaining time on me. They pitted just over half way and i retook the lead. Tyres were'nt that bad so I was going to do the whole race without pitting. Lap 19 they started catching up again, my tyres were gone. Ended up finishing in second place behind the Nissan 92/Minolta (cant remember which one). At this stage I tried to buy Super Hard tyres but wasn't allowed. Looks like I'll have to do it the hard way.

3rd Race: Hong Kong
I'd heard about this and knew it was going to be hard. Qualified first. Started well and stayed around 4-6 seconds in the lead. Pitted at lap 8 and knew I was in trouble. The Minolta pitted with me on the same lap (it usually does on most races) but Nissan 92 took off ahead. Re-took the lead by had to pit again on lap 16. Ended up 5 seconds behind the Nissan 92 in second place, the Minolta behind me.

At this point I think I was equal first in points with either the Nissan or Toyota, the other not far behind. The Nissan 89, GTR, and Vertigo were out off it.
Thought I was doing pretty well at this stage.

4th Race: Seoul Reverse
As soon as I raced my two qualifying laps I knew this was one race I'd win. The Zonda raced well and had no competition. Kept myself busy by taking tenths of my best lap. Got it down to 49.018 (or something very close to this). I even had time to pit twice (the minolta also pitted twice but I'm not sure about the nissan) and won by around 25 secs. Another 63 A-Spec points. I need this to take the lead by 4 points in the total ranking.

5th Race: El Capitan
Now this was one nerve-racking race. Qualified first but because of the long straight at the start, both nissian's and the toyota took the lead. Caught back up to them though a couple corners later though. Focused and gaining time because I knew I'd have to pit twice with the Nissan only pitting once. Twice I had gotten out to 6-7 second lead but spun out, both times I was passed. Both the Minolta and myself pitted at lap 5, Nissan at 6. This is where it gets interesting. I knew the Nissan was going to win because we had to pit twice so I was going to run thr risk of spinning out on the last lap to win the race. On laps 7-9 I was driving really well trying to at least get a lead on the Nissan so I had room for error. Lap 11 came and my 7 second lead was quickly dying. Tyres were orange, I was starting to panic and make stupid mistakes. Ran wide onto the sand and entered the last section with only a 2 second lead. This is where I would die or live. The last undulating bit was really hard as I was trying to stop the Zonda from spinning out. It was having trouble accelerating and the traction control sign was lighting up. Entered the last straight and gunned it. A race to the finish. I could see the Nissan catching me fast in my rear view mirrow. !!!! !!!! $$$ flashed up on the screen as I beat him by just .3 of a second and took home a well deserved $25,000 in cash.

This first placing boosted me up 8 points in the lead

6th Race: New York
Just like Seoul, I knew I'd won from the qualifying laps. Not much happened on this. Ended up winning by 25secs and lapping the poor Vertigo (sometimes you feel sorry for it).

Race 7 Paris (64 A-spec points):

I come back into the GT World Championship after around 3-4 weeks off so I’m a bit rusty and not really up to full on racing. I have about 5-6 laps in practice to get back into it and qualify 2nd behind the Nissan 92’. I have hard tyres on the rear, medium on the front. I start off and pass the leader by about the 3rd turn. Now I settle in to my rhythm and concentrate on racing high-speed around the sharp corners. I knew this was going to be a tough race. By lap 4 I had opened up a 5 second lead on the Nissan 92’, the 89’ was right on its tail and the Minolta following. The other two cars are already out of the race. They start to catch up as my tyres are getting worn out so I pit on lap 8 with an 8 second lead. I knew I’d have to pit again and I was hoping the other three cars would have to as well. I come out of the pits in 5th place, just sneaking in front of the Vertigo. Being 12 seconds behind I focus on catching up. I pull back about 2.5 seconds before the Nissan 89 and 92, Minolta all pit on lap 9. I open up a 14 second lead. Because I needed to pit again I thought I do something a little different so instead off pitting on lap16 as I would normally, I pitted on lap 14 and put medium tyres on all round. These would keep my going until the end. They quickly passed me and I was 10 secs behind. Now that I had medium tyres on I thought I’d be able to race faster but that wasn’t the case. For the next couple of laps I made mistakes and the top 3 cars actually gained time on me. By the last lap I found I was 13 seconds behind. Then it happened… “Nissan 89 pitting in” (the other two followed). Yes! I thought. I passed all three cars on the first few corners of lap 18 to take first spot. Now I could just cruise to the finish line. I actually set a new fastest lap of 1:14.3 that had stood from lap 3! Ended up winning by 7 secs and opening up my lead in the final points standings even further.

Zonda – 62
Nissan 92 – 39
Minolta – 33
I gave my Zonda a wash and changed its oil during the break.

Race 8 Suzuka (63 A-spec points):

Starting grid
Zonda
Minolta
Nissan 89
Nissan 92
AMG
Vertigo

Here we go. Even though first at the line I started slow and the Minolta was in front of me by the first corner. I caught him back soon after though. Ran wide into the sand badly and lost my lead to drop to 4th, 2.5 secs behind. Stared to concentrate and caught up by the end of lap 2 I was ahead by half a second on the Minolta. I was hanging in there. Then guess what happened? I ran wide again on the same corner!. A few turns later I hit the Nissan and we both spun off into the sand. I recovered OK and had a quick glance in my rear view mirror to see how the Nissan fared. Well he wasn’t doing to well. I saw him get back onto the track only to be hit by his team-mate (the other Nissan) and slammed into the wall! Changed back to normal view, whoa, nearly ran off the track!! Anyway back to racing. End of lap 3 I was 1.3 behind the Minolta. I lost it at the hairpin to drop back to 3rd, now 6 seconds behind the leading car. Tyres were orange and I was losing control. Dropped another place to 4th before I pitted in. The Minolta and both Nissans pit on the following laps. I started lap 7 in 3rd position. There was a nice battle between me and the Nissan 92’ for the last couple of laps but in the end I pulled away from him. Race standings:

Minolta 1st
Nissan 89’ 2nd
Me – Zonda 3rd (30 seconds behind)
Nissan 92’ 4th
AMG 5th
Vertigo 6th
A close battle was happening for 2nd place overall, the Minolta only one point up on the Nissan 92’

Race 9 Grand Valley Speedway Reverse (63 A-spec points):

I hadn’t raced on this track yet and it took a while for me to remember it. Qualified for three laps to end up 2nd on the starting grid behind the Nissan 92’. This race was gunna be challenging. As soon as I started I felt something wrong with the car. It kept turning towards the right hand side. Great! I thought, this makes things even harder. If things weren’t bad enough the Nissan 89’ made it even worse by pushing me into the sand to be last by the second corner. To its credit my Zonda started racing well and we were 4th by the 2nd lap. I passed the Minolta on the inside of the hairpin before the uphill. I was too powerful for him and pulled away. Lap 4 was a very fun battle involving the Nissan and myself. Set a new fastest lap of 1:37.891. I was too busy caught up in the race to realise my tyres were worn out. $#!T, I missed the pitstop. Damn. Well… by the time I eventually got to pit I’d dropped to 3rd. Started lap 9 9.205 secs behind 3rd. Ended up finishing 3rd behind the Nissan 92’ in 1st and the Minolta in 2nd.
I have an 18point lead over the Nissan 92’ in the overall point standings.

Race 10 Circuit de Le Sarthe I (63 A-spec points):

Now this was going to be a race that’d test my Zonda’s top speed. It finished up reaching 360km/h. I knew I had the championship won already which is why I probably didn’t perform well in this last race. Stuffed up the qualifying so I just started in 6th. At the 4th corner the race was lost as I ran really wide into the sand. It took about 6 seconds of chuggin along to get back onto the track. Now I just decided to finish the race, I didn’t really care what happened. The only highlight of this race was midway through lap 3 (I had caught up to 4th place but was losing ground because I forgot to pit….again :ouch: ) when I saw the Minolta in the distance spinning way off the track. His tyres were completely gone. He got back on the track only to spin off again. I passed him (just!) and was very happy sitting in third. Looked behind me to see a pile up of cars as the last two came crashing into him. But, forgetting to pit was going to cost me a podium finish. The AMG and the Vertigo passed me, putting me in 5th, the Minolta was now last. Then, the unthinkable happened. I overran the pit entry!!!. I hadn’t pitted on Le Sarthe before so I didn’t know where it was until to late. The Minolta was speeding out of control into the pits and I was lucky not to get my head smashed off as I turned around and came in right behind him. He then took off ahead as I tried to catch up with him. He held a steady lead until the last two corners where I was just able to pass him for 5th spot. Final race standings were:

1st - Nissan 92’
2nd – Nissan 89’
3rd – Vertigo (his highest placing!)
4th – AMG
5th – Me in the Zonda
6th – The crazy Minolta

Final Championship points standings

1st – Myself, Zonda 72
2nd – Nissan 92’ 62
3rd – Minolta 50
4th – Nissan 89’ 42
5th – Mercedes AMG 19
6th – The poor Vertigo 15

Yah, I had finally won the elusive GT World Championship!!!!
I was very happy taking home my new Ford GT LM Race Car and watching the ending movie. Well, I hoped you all enjoyed this write up. Sorry about the long delay to finish it. Feedback would be appreciated. Anyway, Cya later guys!

I am impressed, I have tried that race with my Zonda and have failed every time.

Other than tires did you change any other settings?

Thanks for your help and good job on the write-up.

Back