Close...but NO Cigar!

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 10 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
JGTC300 vs Some FAST Cars
Extreme Hall Gran Turismo All Stars

I ran a quick test with a JGTC500 ride with about 750 HP & figured this series would be too easy. Instead I opted for one of my VERY Favorite rides in GT4, the TOYOTA "WedsSport" Celica (JGTC) '03. Unlike last time, (Reported HERE: ) max Turbo was used which yielded 622 HP. I did however stick with R-3 Tyres. I ran a quick test at "Autumn Ring" since I have very little experience there & found a good race. Went back to the "Series" screen & pushed the button.

The opposition I drew for this round included:

SAUBER Mercedes C9 Race Car '89
JAGUAR XJ-R9Race Car '88
NISSAN GT-R Concept LM Race Car '02
FORD GT LM Edition Spec-II '04
MAZDA RX-7 Race Car '01

These figures: Finish = Place / Race Time - Fast Lap. MOV = Margin of Victory (Where applicable!)

Race #1 High Speed Ring (171 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'02.169
Finish 3rd / 7'22.050 - 1'01.870 (Lap #4) [Draft Aided]
MO"Loss" -8.998 👎

Qualified 1st but not by much. UNLIKE GT3 where you had "Bad Oil" HP to qualify with (Meaning you'd go faster in the race than you could qualify) GT4 gives you full HP BUT the "AI" seems to "Dawdle" a bit in qualifying & then really come on in the Race itself. Due to the tall gearing I got a terrible start & slipped to 4th briefly. Caught & passed the Jag by Lap #3 & was closing on the Sauber by Lap #4. Then his tyres must have finally warmed as he just drove away & left me. The Jag got by near the end as well & all I could do was watch their taillights disappear! :irked:

Race #2 Fuji Speedway '80s (171 Points )
Qualified 3rd / 1'10.944
Finish 3rd / ??.??.??? - 1'10.765 (Lap #3)
M.O.Loss" -23.4224 👎

NO Contest here. Another standing start & they just drove off & left me. Closed slightly on BLUE Tyres but once theirs warmed, along with the Loooong front straight I was History! :irked: Hit the wrong button at the end & missed the Sauber's winning time. :banghead:

Race #3 Laguna Seca Raceway (171 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'20.082
Finish 1st / 9'08.851 - 1'17.261 (Lap #5)
M.O.V. +0.839 👍

FINALLY a "Rolling Start" & a track that doesn't favor their huge HP advantage! Quickly built a lead of over 5 seconds only to see it evaporate the last two laps! :eek: I felt I was running as fast as I'm capable & still the Sauber kept closing. Less than a second victory at the Finish but I'll take it. Finally move into second overall, 6 points behind the Sauber.

Race #4 Autumn Ring (171 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'12.242
Finish 1st / 10'53.773 - 1'11.188 (Lap #4)
M.O.V. +18.xxx Seconds 👍

Another "Rolling Start" & this time I "Smoked 'Em." :D I must admit however that this is the first venue I tested. Initially I used a JGTC500 Ride with Turbo 3 but there just wasn't enough challenge to be found. Dropping down a class to JGTC300 seemed good here but now I'm not so sure! :confused: Did the final Lap on glowing RED Tyres & lost a few seconds but still couldn't see the Sauber in my mirror at the end! 👍 Still in second overall but only two points behind. :sly:

Race #5 Test CURSE (200 Points)
Qualified 2nd/ 1'39.323
Finish 2nd / 5'08.835 - 1'40.683 (Lap #2)
M.O."Loss" -0.217 Seconds 👎

From experience running here in the "Dream Car Series" I knew "Catching the Draft" would be Crucial. Did so in qualifying & again in the race. "Bump Drafted" the Sauber all the way around twice, tried to "Slingshot" him at the finish but just didn't have enough HP. :irked: Dropped to Six points behind the leader. :indiff:

Race #6 Grand Valley Raceway [Reverse] (171 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'43.827
Finish 2nd / 10'33.811 - 1'41.772 (Lap #3)
MO "Loss" -19.077 Seconds 👎

Figured the "Dynamic Duo" of the Sauber/Jag would be too much for me here but qualifying looked real good. This is the first I've noticed of the "AI" SANDBAGGING during qualification! :irked: I was 4 seocnds quicker than the Sauber in practice but when the Race staretd it was like he'd fitted a bigger Turbo or something! :confused: Also at this venue both the GroupC Cars stared driving VERY aggressively. :scared: In fact I was right on the Jag's tail on the final Lap when the Sauber smashed into me near the Hairpin. I recovered & Smacked him back sending us both into the sand. Luckily I recovered quicker & put about 3 seconds on him but the Jag was long gone. I do NOT like to hit the "AI" AT ALL, but when they're programmed this poorly I have no qualms about exacting a little retribution! :lol: Closed the gap slightly, now trailing the Sauber by Four points.

Race #7 Suzuka (171 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'52.084
Finish 1st / 9'21.505 - 1'50.733.xxx (Lap #4)
M.O.V. +10.003 Seconds 👍

I must give LOTS of Credit to the Jag for this Win! 👍 I was about 3-4 seconds ahead & then at the next Checkpoint the lead jumped to about 14 seconds! :eek: Went back & watched the replay to see what had transpired & the Jag had blown the entry to "Spoon" corner & took the Sauber with him! While I was checking I noticed the Sauber was suddenly running 1'47.xxx Laps while the best he'd done in qualifying was 1'53.xxx. I sure wish PD had kept the "AI" constant instead of making them "Blindingly Fast" on some tracks & Complete "Dolts" on others! :irked: Tied with the Sauber for the first time as we both have 52 points. 👍

Race #8 Infenion Raceway (Stock Car Course) (171 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'05.615
Finish 1st / 8'47.118 - 1'05.272 (Lap #7)
M.O.V. + 0.189 Seconds 👍

WOW! :eek: What A Race! Stretched my lead out to just over 5 seconds before the Sauber started to make his move. He was VERY Slow in the more technical sections but Blazing Fast in others. :confused: Just kept getting Bigger & Bigger in my mirror. I kinda blew the final corner & gave him the inside line but recovered in time to salvage (Just BARELY!) the Win. 👍 Took the lead away for the first time, leading by Four points.

Race #9 Circuit de le Sarthe I (171 Points)
Qualified 3rd / 3'36.679
Finish 3rd / 7'14.3491 - 3'38.306 (Lap #2)
M.O."Loss" - 34.185 Seconds 👎

With the Rolling Start I knew my only chance was to close the gap & catch the Draft of the Jag. I was slightly quicker thru the turns before Mulsanne straight. BUT...NOT quick enough. Just as the qualification laps foretold the "Dynamic Duo" just ran off & hid from me. I never saw the 4-6th place Cars so just took it easy on the second lap & made sure I didn't wander "Off Course" & let third place slip away. The Sauber slips by to lead by Two points.

Race #10 Nurburgring (171 Points)
Qualified 3rd / Forgot to take Notes! :dunce:
Finish 3rd / 12'59.151 - 6'28.663 (Lap #2)
M.O."Loss" -39.591 Seconds 👎

I knew from qualifying that my only chance to finish higher than 3rd was if the Jag put forth an encore performance of his "Antics" at Suzuka. The "Ring" is NOT my favorite venue & giving up 300+ HP was just too much to overcome. Just "Cruised" the second Lap just like Race #9 hoping against hope that the Jag would take both itself & the Sauber out.

FINAL RESULTS:

SAUBER Mercedes C9 Race Car '89 // 78 Points
TOYOTA "WedsSport" Celica (JGTC) '03 // 70 Points
JAGUAR XJ-R9Race Car '88 // 52 Points
NISSAN GT-R Concept LM Race Car '02 // 32 Points
FORD GT LM Edition Spec-II '04 // 22 Points
MAZDA RX-7 LM Race Car '01 // 12 Points

97,500 Credits & 684 more A-Spec Points...but NO Bonus Credits & NO Prize Car! :irked:

I'm sure a better driver could WIN this series with this Ride. Four wins at Ten Venues just isn't enough.

As always...THANX for wading thru this & hope it will help someone out. Let me know if you spot a mistake, I'm VERY adept at using the EDIT Function! :lol: ...O.G. :D

Another entertaining and stunningly smileyed write-up Bob! ;)
I'v just cracked 25% myself to open up the endurance hall, so I'm searching for new challenges all the time. No where near opening Extreme hall to do this series yet though. Need all the cash I can get from the enduros to buy all the remaining lowest mileage used cars to fill in the beginner & professional hall races first :(

May give this a go when I'm ready though, sounds like fun! :nervous:

Holy crap, this must've been the hardest championship possible 👍 And everyone is wining about how they can't handle the GT World Championship in a Mercedes CLK GTR. Pfffsshh! :rolleyes:

zoxxy
Holy crap, this must've been the hardest championship possible 👍 And everyone is wining about how they can't handle the GT World Championship in a Mercedes CLK GTR. Pfffsshh! :rolleyes:
THANX zoxxy! 👍 I like to "Win" as much as anyone else...BUT a good battle is worth the effort whatever the outcome. Currently I'm running PROFESSIONAL HALL: Gran Turismo World Championship for the second time with a JGTC Ride, just to prove some "Nay-Sayers" WRONG! This time I'm using a "Lesser" ride...the NISSAN XANAVI Skyline. More A-spec points but not a lot more challenging yet. (ATM I'm 5 races into the series & 15 points in the lead.)

I've got links to some other fun series utalizing "Underdog" rides if you're interested...O.G. :D

Awesome O.G. truely awesome. I love the Wedsport and ran a few underdog races after reading one of your other Weds write ups. But this one takes the cake, talk about underdog. Awesome try man.

A quick question regarding qualifying - did you do several qualifying laps (allowing the AI to warm their tyres up) or just the one? Just interested as I have a really hard time with the LMP/Gp C cars and need all the info I can get - Thanks

Really good Write-up Old Geezer, too bad you couldn´t win. Even so, it sounds like you had a great time with it.

Keep the write-ups coming! 👍

Moloch_horridus
A quick question regarding qualifying - did you do several qualifying laps (allowing the AI to warm their tyres up) or just the one? Just interested as I have a really hard time with the LMP/Gp C cars and need all the info I can get - Thanks
I was too lazy to do the "Tranny Trick" & then "Pre-Run" to set the final drive at all the venues! :mischievous: So I just ran a few laps at High Speed Ring & Autumn Ring to adjust the Auto Set. As it turned out, most venues worked well at "17." I then ran a warm up lap to check adjustment & only ONE Qualifier Lap at each venue. Now, with 20/20 hindsight, I see that running a couple of laps MAY have given me a better idea of what the GroupC rides were ACTUALLY going to be running! :irked:

Hope this helps! 👍 "GOOD LUCK" & let us know how you make out!

THANX to All for the Great comments! :cheers: ...O.G. :D

Thanks alot for another stupendous write-up... 👍 👍 all that effort and only a 2nd place to show for it? Well, atleast you are trying to get a challenging series, and not using the Minolta like everyone else... I noticed some guy getting 100% recently, and he had a total of under 10,000 A-Spec points... maybe he should read some of your write-ups to realise how this game is supposed to be played!! Keep up the good work!...

P.S. I did this series in the Mercedes AMG CLK-GTR Race Car and only needed to finish 5th at the 'Ring to win the series... I was really struggling and finished 4th, only because the tyres on the lead car went with 1/3 of a lap to go... :nervous:

Back