recreating the 24h of LeMans

• Thread starter jamezracer
  • 20 comments
Jamezracer
since we (HondaRacer and myself) realized that gt4 had a 24h race at le sarthe, we knew a 24 hour stint was in order, and it finally happened last weekend. here is how it went...

after hundreds of miles of practice and testing with 8 different lm cars, the r8 showed itself as the fastest, with a record time of about 3:13(can't remember to the tenth), with super hard tires, and no mods. I was sure this was the car to use, but after some practice with HondaRacer, we found my brand new Bentley speed 8 to be the fastest car for its ease of driving and consistentcy, it was able to pull a 3:16 during the test. so we change the oil and start the race at noon, after a good, long night's sleep.

finding ourselves up against a c9, 92cp, 89c, 787b, and a gt-one, we knew a challenge was ahead of us. now, for recreating the real leMans, everything had to be as close as possible, so it was with kinks, and we did 2 hour stints, with 3 drivers (bob was our 3rd driver) like the real race. our set-up was with a dfp mounted to a game-racer coc-pit, hd tv, and surround sound, so no eye strain, no back-ache, and the surround sound kept us awake. we used manual, and asm+tcs to help with tire wear and ease of driving.

we started with bob, so he would pit himself, and told him to pit after 1 lap, then HondaRacer started his 2hr stint, slowly regaining the 35second lost. we started with super hard tires, and did 7 laps per set of tires, but the car was not that forgiving, and lap-times were not that great, so we tried hard, and what a difference, we could do 6 laps on a set, but was far superior as far as forgiveness and overall speed, so we kept that set-up for the rest of the race, but keeping bob on hard front and super hard rear. after HondaRacer's stint, bob went at it, suddenly we are in 3rd after his stint, I am able to regain the lead after 3 pits, and a series of very fast , but conservative laps, pulling consistently between 3:18, and 3:21, on a still conservative pace. as I neared the end of my stint, I forgot about conservative and pulled the 2nd fastest time, of 3:15.8.

i switched of to HondaRacer with a lead of nearly 1min 20sec , and he pulled that up to a 2:15 lead on his stint, pulling between 3:20 and 3:24. then bob lost all of that, and another 20 sec in just 2 hours. I regain this in 2 pit stops, and keep driving, slowly gaining time. Honda Racer took over, and befor long, the chassis goes, thankfully, we had done chassis stiffening befor the race, so we could still drive, but was very very hairy on the straights, and when you first touch the brakes, we have to switch the dfp to 60% feedback, so we wouldn't crash going in a straight line, surprizingly, cornering was not affected. very unrealistic... just 12 hours in, a car designed to run for at least 24hours plus qualifying and practice, will die 12 hours in, and although it can't go in a straight line, I can fly around corners just as it had before, very realistic pd :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: also, with the chassis gone, we could only do 4-5 laps per set of tires.

this went on for the rest of the night, but it became harder to get back what bob lost, so we started doing 2:15 stints, while bob did 1:30. as for staying awake, caffeine is NOT your friend. the best way is to have a small amount of caffeine while you drive your stint, and try to sleep in your 4 hour break. eating should be done in small snakes, so you don't get bloated, and become sleepy. this worked so well in fact, that I almost got a full night's sleep, and carried on my day almost as if i had never done the race. you will have to ask HondaRacer how he was after, haven't talked to him since. in my 2nd to last stint, I pulled a 3:14.847, fastest lap of the race, despite the chassis, being smooth when driving was all it took to overcome the "disability", and finally finished just over 1 min ahead of the c9, on lap 411.

please comment and ask questions. hopefully HondaRacer will post in this thread and comment as well. good luck to anyone else going to attempt this!!!

Good write up. It was a nice read.

I have been planning to do the Lemans race for quite some time now but I could never finish it for some reason or other. I will give it another go next week and I'll remember to add the chasis stiffner. 👍

Good write up!

But you didn't say if it was Sarthe I or Sarthe II. I am guessing it was Sarthe I by the lap times you mention but could you confirm that?

Hey everyone! The 24 hours was a blast, and was worth feeling like crap for a day afterwards. As jamezracer pointed out, the chassis went early in the race, making full speed runs down the Mulsanne very scary indeed, even with kinks to keep the speed down. It was not nearly as tough as I had thought it would be, although the combination of exhaustion and chassis troubles made off course excursions the norm on my final run. Look for more enduro writeups from jamezracer or myself in the future!

oy, good write up, i just finished the 24h Sarthe II in a R92CP, my best time was 2:54, the bentley speed eight you win from that race is beeaautifull, i ran a 2'43.987 on sarthe II in that car, you can see my record on the lap thingy..

nissan350z
oy, good write up, i just finished the 24h Sarthe II in a R92CP, my best time was 2:54, the bentley speed eight you win from that race is beeaautifull, i ran a 2'43.987 on sarthe II in that car, you can see my record on the lap thingy..

Was it stock?

no, i stuck a stage 4 turbo in it and moved the autoset up a bit, lowered ride height all the way, and other little things like taht

nissan350z
...i ran a 2'43.987 on sarthe II in that car...

Problem with Sarthe for OLR is the two sets of esses before the Start/Finish line. If you practice a bit, you can full-bore right through them in pretty much a straight line at a ridiculous speed. It knocks something like six seconds off the lap time.

Then there are matters of degrees. Did you shoot them just a "little", and consider that a straight-up lap? Or did you absolutely have two wheels on the asphalt at all times?

Without a replay, we'll never know. That's why real verification requires it. Lap times at Sarthe don't mean much without it.

If you really wanted to cheat on Sarthe II, you could cut across the first chicane to, but i haven't yet experimented with it to see if actually taking the turn would be worth it, but i assure you ladies and gentlemen that my times are authentic, if i had means of posting a replay i would, but all i have is a flash drive, i''ll post again as soon as i beat that time, just ran a dozen laps and i can't beat my time lol.

I am fond of cutting the muslanne entry corner. With some practice you can take it on the red stuff touching the grass a little and go through it at 120+MPH (depending on the car). I do it coz I hate how some cars bounce from the inside strips to the outside strips which cause me to end up either totally or half way into the sand trap.

I have never watched the replay of it but I am quite sure the car would look like it is about 2 feet to the right of the inside strips! :-)

Mr.Slow
I have never watched the replay of it but I am quite sure the car would look like it is about 2 feet to the right of the inside strips! :-)

What?!? you mean there is another way to do this corner??? when done right i can maintain a good 80kmh quicker thru there than the AI dopes. As far as i am concerned its asphalt so its ok...

its alright i was joking - more at the fact that the 'silly' AI takes a proper line and stays between the ripples - but i am guessing most of us just take the 'quick' line...

Awesome write-up there, your attention to detail sounded fantastic.
On La Sarthe I, you can actually cut the final esses before the start/finish straight very easily as Zardoz said, but you can do BOTH of the chicanes down the main straight as well. If you push the car as far over as you can to the inside edge of the barriers blocking the straight section without hitting them, you can just keep the throttle open all the way through. How unsporting... :D

I'm not quite sure if I would advise any corner-cutting at all after your chassis has gone, though, because it's pretty lethal with a new car! I don't do it anyway, because it's too much like cheating the already-losers AI cars. They're easy enough to beat without coner cutting.

One question though, how many A-Spec points was the race worth?

DE

mr.slow - as for the mulsanne entry corner, with the speed 8, hard tires, and a gone chassis, I was able to keep the car above 135mph thoughout the corner, with some practice, i could probly get it to 140mph.

Dark Elite- I have tried cutting the kinks, but is very, very counter productive. not only do you rarely get it right, but the speed that you loose by going through the sand slows you down so much, that the speed down the straight is reduced dramatically.

the only cutting that i did was the last kink b4 the finish line, and that was only if I needed to gain time after bob lost 2min at a time, grrrrr, damn b-spec 👎

as for a-spec points, we started in b-spec, so it didn't say, and we didn't get anything anyway, thanks to bob having to drive. tomorrw i will enter the race with the same settings in a-spec just to find out, will edit after.

thx for the replys guys!

I guessed as much about the A-Spec value two seconds after I posted, an annoying habit of mine! And yes, cutting the kinks is very hard to get right without losing precious speed in the following straights. I suppose if you fiddled the dampers and raised the ride height you could make it worthwhile, but then again you'd lose out everywhere else for doing so.

*Rereads paragraph* That was pointless... :lol: At least it shows that yes, you're quite right, don't cut corners anywhere else!

I take your point entirely that B-Spec is crap. It can't do anything at all nearly as quickly as we can, and it loses control easily on worn tyres because it's not smart enough to go easier than normal! But I suppose, even at Le Mans you could end up annoyed with someone else for driving worse than you could be... :irked:

One last question, did you leave Bob running on 1X speed for maximum realism, or did you go to the Race Monitor and speed him up to 3X?

DE

we left it in live view so it would last 24 hours, and it would be like sitting in the pits watching the race on a screen. as for a-spec points, I just(2 min ago) kept restarting untill it was the same line-up as the race, and came to 75 a-spec points with the same line-up. surprizingly, in the real thing, we ended up restarting (to check that we had chassis refresh) and got the new line-up with the c9. b4, it had an r8, the pescarolo, ect. we thought it was going to be harder, but turned out to be only 10 points. did I just make sense?

Back