GT All Stars in the Jaguar XJR-9

• Thread starter Mr.Slow
  • 7 comments
I searched the forums for info on this series and found quite a few threads but none dedicated to an absolutely stock ride (including tires). There is a lot of information in Old_Geezer's threads... the guy is a nut! (in a good way).

Anywho, Still persevering with my 'stock ride' gamesave so...

THE PLAN
Pretty much the same as with the GTWC, only difference being I may not have to pit at all.

1. Qualify on pole
2. Do enough practice laps to get familiar with my ride's tire wear. There is no pitting in this series (for the most part) but the races are long enough for you to need good knowledge of your car's tire wear patterns.
3. Do enough practice laps to get a feel for the competition's tire wear behaviour.
4. Win all the races!

THE RIDE
Fresh out of winning the GTWC with the Bentley I was feeling cocky so I decided to forgo any testing and basically 'pick a car name out of a hat'. The only consideration: I wanted to use a car I hadn't raced before and I didn't want to use the R92C because I would probably have to pit in every race and that was just 'not on'.

So it was a choice of :R89C, Jaguar or Minolta. I was arrogant enough to think that since I had 'skpanked them' at the GTWC I could just drive a car with a missing wheel and still win. So I did what an arrogant idiot would do: I picked the slowest of the three: The Jaguar!

I hadn't driven the Jaguar since the Sarthe II tests a couple of weeks ago so I didn't remember what it was like to drive. I would come to regret this later as I forgot that it has heavy understeer, long brakes, massive wheelspin in 1st and second, and only 5 gears (this became important later). But since I was so full of myself and I was only looking at the test results I figured that it being only 1.2 seconds slower than the R8 at Sarthe II was good enough.

THE COMPETITION

Nissan R92C
Toyota 7
AMG CLK-GTR
Toyota One
Mazda 787

It seemed like a harder lineup than at GTWC but it only gave 10 points per race. This of course only increased my cockynesss :sly:

THE RACES

Race 1 - High Speed Mountain: Starting from pole with the R92C in 2nd I got jumped by it. No surprise there. But by turn 3 I was back on the lead and never looked back. Won by 29 seconds. Cockyness factor went up 10 points!

Race 2 - Fuji 80's: I got my first glimpse of the Jag's handfulness here. It felt like it was skating on ice during qualifying. Fortunately, I had done another race here with the Toyota 7 on N3 tires so I started using the same line and braking points I used that time. I was able to build a 25 second lead by the last lap of the race. Then the Jag got nasty and I ended up doing S's all the way from the last (long) right hander to the finish line :crazy: Won by 21 seconds. Cockyness factor still managed to go up a few points.

Race 3 - Laguna Seca: Some more handfullness from the Jag made me take it easier than I would have liked. On lap 4 the tires were almost fluorescent green and the car started to slide a lot. Caught me off guard and I drove off the track twice blowing a 5 second lead. After that I stopped pushing and cruised to the finished line. Won by 3.778 seconds. Cockyness factor went down a bit.

Race 4 - Autumn Ring Reverse: Cockyness factor took a deep dive during qualifying. I could get pole easily but the tires just didn't last the race distance. I lapped as much as I could to check out the competition but none of them pitted within race distance... I was going to have to pull some seriously fast laps to overcome the tire wear handicap. I pitted at the end of lap 7 with an 8 second lead on the R92C and once again had a 'brain fart' pressing b-spec instead of 'no refill' :dunce: Came out in 5th place and bob made sure we stayed there for the duration with plenty of off track excursions. Finished 5th, 26 seconds behind first place.

Race 5 - Test Course: I didn't have high hopes for this one since the R92C was in the competition. So I changed the tranny setting to Auto 18 to give the Jag a few more MPH (couldn't go any higher as it wasn't redlining 5th on 18.) Strangely enough I drafted off him (and also bump drafted him) and qualified on pole. The weird part is that I was behind him on most of the lap and still managed a better time by 1.2 seconds... weird. For the race itself I figured I'd relive the drafting mission and force the R92C (which once again jumped me off the starting line) to pit by making him go faster using up more tires. But alas, the bastard didn't pit and had the uncanning ability to stay behind me on most of the lap except on the last turn where he would overtake. He did it every lap including the last one so he beat me by 0.027 seconds.

Cockyness factor is way down... wondering if I should just quit and ditch the bloody car :indiff:

Race 6 - Grand Valley Speedway Reverse: Got jumped by the R92C at the start and in an attempt to block the Toyota 7 I changed lanes, only to let the 787 by. Took about a half a lap to regain the lead as the R92C and I traded places at every turn. The last lap was done on red tires losing a couple of seconds or so. Still won by 6.25 seconds. Cockyness factor at an all time low.

Race 7 - Suzuka. Knowledge of the track and plenty of practice laps allow me to get pole and run an uneventful race. Having come to terms with the Jag's handfulness, I took it relatively easy and made only two mistakes. Won by 3.192. Cockyness factor still in the dumps.

Race 8 - Infineon: I love this track. However the Jag introduced yet another nasty element of its character: It hates raised rumble strips and chicanes. Qualifying was spent reworking my lines due to the track being in a different configuration that I am used to. So far the 787 had a mediocre showing qualifying behind the Toyota 7 in most races but this time it stole 2nd place from the R92C. This was good as it held the R92C back for a while during the race letting me drive into the distance. The cockyness was creeping back in and I forgot the line on one of the new turns, drove off track and lost 3.5 seconds. Still managed to win by 9.1 seconds. Cockyness almost back in full swing!

Race 9 - Sarthe I: Qualifying was a horrible experience as the track has everything the Jag doesn't like: Chicanes, raised rumble strips, long high speed sweepers and sharp turns after long straights. I had to forget about the line (and braking points - the Jag only has 5 gears compared to 6 from the R8) I had learned with the R8 and practically start from scratch. Once again the 787 qualified 2nd and held the R92C back during the race. I managed to only go off track once but the Jag kept me on my toes the whole time. Won by 10.235. Cockyness back to almost 0! :ill:

Race 10 - Nurburing Nordschleife: Trying to qualify with stock tyres on the Jag here proved to be the silliest thing I have done so far. By the end of the warm up lap the tires were already flourescent green. They gave up 2/3 in to the lap (had a 10sec lead at that time) and ended up qualifying 6th TWO MINUTES AND 10 SECONDS BEHIND POLE! :dopey:
Other than tire wear the Jag actually behaved itself on this track so I decided to pit at the end of lap one hopefully with a 15 second lead. I would then make up the other 15 seconds from the pit stop in the second lap and win the race 'by a hair'. It seemed like a good idea at the time. In reality I got frustrated by not being able to overtake slower cars, took too many risks and spun 3 times (two of them trying to overtake the Toyota 7). Pitted at the end of lap 1 from 4th place right after overtaking the Bentley and the Toyota 7. I was 14 seconds behind 1st place at that time.
I composed myself on the second lap but the 50 second gap was too much. Finished 3rd, 19.222 behind the 787 and 4 seconds behind the Toyota 7. Overtook the R92C whilst it was in a sandtrap somewhere.

CONCLUSION

I won the series with 7/10 wins but I felt it should have been 9/10 if not for silly bugger mistakes. The series seems easier than GTWC but with a temperamental ride like the Jag XJR-9 it is plenty challenging. Specially the races where you have to pit whilst the others don't.

After the series was completed I went back and re-run (in the same car) the two races I had lost due to stupid mistakes. Race 4 (Autumn Ring) took me two tries to win running against the CLK, Gillet, BMW F1, R92CP & R390 (only 7 a-spec points). The first try I finished 2nd, 3.963 seconds behind the R390 and the second try I won it by 9 seconds after going into the pits on lap 5 with a 16 second lead and coming out in 2nd place 11 seconds behind the R92C and 1 second ahead of the BMW. The R92C's tires gave up on the last lap when I was 4 seconds behind.

For the re-run of race 10 I drew the AMG CLK, C9, GT LM Spec II, Toyota One and GT LM'02 ( 5 a-spec points). With a cooler head, I bid my time for each pass and managed to pit with a 10 second lead on the C9 (which was surprisingly easy to pass once I caught up to it). Came out of the pits in 5th place but it was just a matter of time before the tires on the C9 gave up. It happened 3/4 into the lap when I was in 3rd, 12 seconds behind. Passing the Toyota One was no problem. Won by 13.963 seconds.

The final conclusion is that the Jag IS A PITA! 👎 But it can still win 9/10 races in this series.

Just stick super-hard tyres on the rear and hards on the front for a car like the XJR-9 or BMW LMR and pit stops become a thnig of the past (provided you stay on the black bit).

Ironically, the Jag gave me heaps of headaches when I did this series in the 787B ... at least, until I spun at Denger Curve on Suzuka (my least favourite corner in the game, I'm yet to find the perfect line) on my out-lap. Trying to get back on track, however, I colleceted the Jag and we both went off again. For such a minor collison we both went about half a kilometre into the sand trap and the Jag, on his qualifying lap, never recovered. For some reason he also failed to set anyhting like a respectable time on every remaining track, even agaisnt the pathetic R390.

I suppose changing the tires would help. But I am too cheap to do that and it wasn't a case of 'new tires or bust' . Maybe just for the test course (Race 5).

jamezracer
nice, sounds like a whole ton of fun. I guess i am the odd one out, since i love the jag, not fast, but fun to drive.
Not fast?! This thing is a demon! Am I missing something or does the XJR pull past every other car like it's standing still?

On the test ring, I was toying with the Minolta!

-------

I was having some trouble with the GT All Stars series. I had run it twice before with the Minolta Toyota and lost both times. I was looking for a new strategy when I came across this thread. This is my story...

My ride:
Jaguar XJR-9
20 miles on the odometer (strange, I don't remember driving it at all)
completely stock

Opponents:
Minolta Toyota 88C-V
Nissan 89C
Playstation Pescarolo
Gillete Vertigo race car
Ford GT race car (new model w/ the classic colors)

Race 1 - High Speed Ring: I didn't qualify so I started 6th. I had a bad launch and took a while to catch up with the Ford GT. By the end of lap one, I was 3rd behind the Toyota and Nissan. Got by the Nissan on the straight, during lap 2. Did the same to the Toyota on lap 6. The XJR is awesome.

Race 2 - Fuji 80's: Start 6th... another bad launch but got to the front by lap 4. Easy win.

Race 3 - Laguna Seca: Tough track with this kind of power. Qualified 1st. Toyota and Nissan snuck by when I slide into the sand on the last corner of lap 6. Finished 3rd.

Race 4 - Autumn Ring Reverse: This is the hardest event. The combination of twisty track and long duration really killed me. I was running 2nd, behind the Toyota, for 7 laps. Then my tires start to fade. I take it easy and have to let the Nissan by on lap 8. By lap 9, my rear tires are total crap. I have to drift the turns at 40mph to get anywhere. I slide all over the place and finish 5th.

Race 5 - Test Course: This is the easiest event. I upped the auto-gear from 16 to 22. This gave a top speed of around 240mph (no drafting). The limiter didn't hit until about 280mph but I hardly needed it since the Toyota and Nissan only run about 230mph. It was a slow start but I took the lead in the last corner of lap 1. The Nissan and Toyota were running close so I drafted and passed both at 175+mph. The next two laps I just sort of buzzed around them and played with the drafting. With any amount of draft, I could floor it and pull past either car like it was nothing. Won by 0.153 seconds. :)

Cockyness factor is way up!

Race 6 - Grand Valley Speedway Reverse: Knew this would be a tough one but got too cocky and didn't qualify. Spent the whole race trying to pass the Toyota. Finished 2nd.

Race 7 - Suzuka. Tough track. Not one of my strong points. Finished 3rd close behind Toyota and Nissan. Then I remembered I was still running in auto-gear 22 (from test oval event) and totally flipped out! :)
No wonder those last two races were any trouble at all!

Race 8 - Infineon: Set auto-gear to 15. Easy event. Just have to take it easy on the the throttle going over hills. Started 1st and pulled way ahead. Lapped the Vertigo on lap 4 and Ford GT on lap 5.

Race 9 - Sarthe I: Another easy event but I screwed it up. I put auto-gear to 20. Qualified 1st but had a bad launch. Caught up to the pack on the long straights and had the lead by the time I got to Mulsanne. Then I just zoned out! I kept putting a wheel off track and then spinning into the wall. Did it three times between Mulsanne and start/finish. Second lap was ok but nothing could save me from a 5th place finish.

Race 10 - Nurburing Nordschleife: Simple fact, S3 tires will not last 2 laps. My first lap was nearly perfect. I know Nurb better than I know myself, so I started 6th and had the lead before the Karrusell. Easy passes, nice and clean. Lap two starts me with a 10 second lead on those fools. I keep pulling away for the first half of the lap. Then I'm coming over that drop before the double right-hander and go airborne!

I spin into the sand and realize my tires are in trouble. I get back on the track just in time for the Toyota to fly by. I make it a little further before spinning out again. This time I get back on the track just in time for the Nissan to ram me and get me back up to speed (thanks!). I slow it down but nothing can save me from spinning out in the concrete banked turn before the long straight.

The Nissan hits me and I nearly give up on the race. It's just instinct, now, pulling my car back to the tarmac. I follow the Nissan, who just disappeared around the corner, headed for the straight. Amazingly, I get a decent entry onto the straight and avoid a collision with the Pescarolo. I'm going 220mph on red rear tires... up the hill... around the left bend... down the hill... still full throttle through the slight turns. So as not to upset the car, I continue full throttle but start easing on the brake as I come to the end of the high-speed section. I don't spin out but ,all at once, I see the oddest thing right in front of me.

It's the Nissan, parked with two wheels on the grass!

I have no idea what's going on so I cautiously make my way around him. I'm sort of in a daze because, if you've been counting, I'm only 1 championship point ahead of the Toyota. As far as I know, the Toyota has already crossed the line and I've lost the championship. Why am I even bothering to finish the race?

But then I see it... there's another car beyond the Nissan. It's mostly white and very obviously has some trouble maintaining rear grip. Before I know what's happened, the Toyota pulls on to the track, right in front of me. I'm panicked! "Oh ****! oh ****! oh ****!" The Nissan has pulled up next to me and is blocking me from going around the Toyota. I think about why I'm running this race. I think about the Mclaren F1 GTR prize car. I think about the 100k credits. I think about how much I hate that Toyota ...I floor it.

My tires burn up as I lurch forward and nudge the Toyota's back end. As we go into the last corner, his back end slowly slides out from behind him. The Toyota goes sideways over the rumble strip and spins into the sand. I know the Nissan and Pescarolo are jammed up behind me, but I feel completely free and unhurried as I make a slight steering correction and take the XJR to victory.

------

Thanks to Mr Slow for posting his race report and suggesting the XJR as a contender for the GT All Stars series. And thanks to goixoye and Dave_George over at the Nurburgring Race Series for giving me a good reason to have to win GT All Stars! :)

Nice work, guys. I love the XJR-9 (LeMans winner `88), and was disappointed to see it's not the world-beater in the game that it was IRL. Any suggestions for setups? I'm using Duck's right now. Monster in a straight line, but hates the `technical' sections.

Won Laguna by just pitching the tail out on the last turn (using automatic `cause I'm too lazy to shift on a DS2). Goes through in 2nd gear-out drags anything else up the front straight. I still can't win Autumn Reverse with it, though. I don't have much luck with tire wear. Not driving smooth enough yet, I guess.

Back