GTWC in Gillet Vertigo *Updated With Race 6*

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 3 comments
I've always considered this car to be a performance bargain, as all it needs from my point of veiew is proper tuning and it could actually win something.

Lineup:
Minolta Toyota 88C-V
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Nissan R92CP
Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR
Nissan R89C
Gillet Vertigo Race Car (Me)

Race 1: Tokyo R246 Normal

Qualifying Order:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car (Me)
Monolta Toyota 88C-V +.023
Nissan R92CP
Nissan R89C
Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Race Details:
The 88C-V and the R92CP pass me almost immediantly, pulling away for the rest of the race. The R89 and me joust for position in the whole race. I pit in on lap 8 for front and rear tires, giving him 3rd. The other Gillet and the Mercedes pit in on the same lap. I begin to reel in the leaders as they run there last lap on worn tires. They all pit in on lap 9, giving me back 3rd position, which is continued to be fought over.

Finishing Order:
Minolta Toyota 88C-V
Nissan R92CP
Gillet Vertigo Race Car (Me) +16.XXXs
Nissan R89C
Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Points Order:
Minolta Toyota 88C-V 10 Points
Nissan R92CP 6 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 4 Points
Nissan R89C 3 Points
Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR 2 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 1 Point

Race Impressions: A good race, hard fought and well earned. Also a good finish since I never tested this cars setup at this track.

Race 2: Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway
Qualifying Order:
Toyota 88C-V
Nissan R92CP
Gillet Vertigo Race Car +.471s
Nissan R89C
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Race Details: Man, it's times like this that make me realize what a lucky bum I am. Going into this race, I knew that the only way I was going to win it was from a constant draft. I put hards on the front of the car to try to prevent a pit, and boy was that the right way to go. My alter Ego pitted in first, on lap 13. Then, the big Merc pitted in the next lap. On lap 15, the R92CP pitted in. On lap 16, the Toyota pitted in, hitting the end of the pit wall like a moron. On lap 18 (me getting very nervous by this point) the R89C finally pitted in. You may ask, But Toronado, how did you ever manage to stay close enough? My answer: I am one cheating mofo. I'm not talking about wall riding. No sir. I'm talking about taking south turn full throttle and the north turn at idle and using the unlucky bum on the outside of me to propel me through the turn. The unlucky bum: my arch enemy, the Nissan R89C. After he pitted in, I drafted and stayed up with the Toyota, and began seeing glimpses of the R92CP in the rearview. Luckily, he stayed behind just enough to not catch a draft that would have surely sunk me as the R89C made his life miserable, pulling out of the pits right in front of him. I lapped the Toyota coming to the finish line on the last lap.

Race Results:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Nissan R92CP + 5.932s
Toyota 88C-V (hit the end of pit wall). +1 Lap
Nissan R89C +1 Lap
Mercedes CLK-GTR +1 Lap
Gillet Vertigo Race Car +2 Laps

Championship Standings:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 14 Points
Toyota Minolta 88C-V 14 Points
Nissan R92CP 12 Points
Nissan R89C 6 Points
Mercedes CLK-GTR 4 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 2 Points

Race Impressions: I really wish that this car, with it's huge rear spoiler and front splitter, could manage a little more downforce than 25/35 f/r. It would have made this race alot less...cheap.

Race 3: Hong Kong

Qualifying Order:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Nissan R92CP +2.675s
Toyota 88C-V
Nissan R89C
Gillet Vertigo Race Car :confused:
Mercedes CLK-GTR

Race Details: Nissan R92CP puts me into wall at first turn. R89C does again at next hairpin. Minolta spins out in front of me on same lap. DNF.

Finishing Order:
Nissan R92CP
Nissan R89C
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Toyota 88C-V
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Gillet Vertigo Race Car (me)

Points Order:
Nissan R92CP 22 Points
Toyota 88C-V 17 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 14 Points
Nissan R89C 12 Points
Mercedes CLK-GTR 8 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 3 Points

Race Impressions: I'm gonna kill the 🤬 I will however, say that this car sucks on this track anyways. It was sliding all over the place. I think I chose the wrong tires.

Race 4: Seoul Central Reverse

Qualifying Order:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Toyota 88C-V +0.827s
Nissan R89C
Nissan R92CP
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Race Details: A very good race. The Toyota and me had a great fight...until lap 3. I then blew him away. Unfortunately, I kept making mistakes, giving him time, until lap 10, when he passed me. I decided not to pit and it cost me the win. The Toyota, literally on the last lap, passed me for the lead coming up on the roundabout. He then pormptly got on the inside on the roundabout and spun me out. I still managed a 2nd place, but I should've won.

Finishing Order:
Toyota 88C-V
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Nissan R89C
Nissan R92CP
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Points Standings:
Toyota 88C-V 27 Points
Nissan R92CP 25 Points
Gillet Verrtigo Race Car 20 Points
Nissan R89C 16 Points
Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR 10 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 4 Points

Race Impressions: This car owned the race until I screwed up. I should have won this race by a longshot. Oh well. On to El Capitan.

Race 5: El Capitan

Qualifying Order:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Nissan R92CP +.027s
Toyota 88C-V
Nissan R89C
Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Race Details: A repeat of Hong-Kong. Spun out by R92CP coming out of loop. DNF

Race Results:
Nissan R92CP
Toyota 88C-V
Nissan R89C
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Gillet Vertigo
Gillet Vertigo (DNF)

Championship Standings:
Nissan R92CP 35 Points
Toyota 88C-V 32 Points
Nissan R89C 20 Points
Gillet Vertigo 20 Points
Mercedes CLK-GTR 12 Points
Gillet Vertigo 5 Points

Race Impressions: Oh boy, how many times has that bloody R92 screwed me? 2? 76? Either way, next race, he's dead. :mad:

GOOD LUCK Toronado!!! :cheers: I used the Vertigo to win EXTREME HALL / Gran Turismo All Stars but it was a real handfull! :eek: IMHO PD really RUINED a great ride by denying it Downforce! :irked: And with a rear Wing that HUGE too!!! :indiff: ...O.G. :D

Well done for attempting the championship in the Vertigo! It is considered to be one of the slower group C cars, and it's gonna be a struggle for you. Keep on trying though! Great write up

After remembering I still had this write-up only half finished, I realized that I still had the results saved on my backup memory card.
Race 6: New York
Qualifying Order:
DNQ (Order same as Race Lineup)

Race Details:
This was a race that I was sure that the Gillet's Crappy Downforce (Pat. Pending) wouldn't interfere with, and I was right, but only just. In fact, I took downforce off of the car, thereby, when combined with the Superhards all around, making this the only 200 point race in the series. The race started off good. The Minolta blew away from the A.I. Vertigo, making a healthy 4 second lead by the time the R92CP pulled around the Vertigo halfway down the 2nd straight. Meanwhile, I pulled into 3rd after the 2nd turn, as the CLK-GTR and the R89C were both struggling with each other in addition to the the other Vertigo. He crashed at the entry of the next turn after being bumped by the CLK-GTR. I stayed within 10 seconds of the 88C-V until lap 7, when I came into the roundabout to hot and lost control of the car, sliding into the outer wall and losing about 7 seconds. On lap 8, the R92CP caught up to the Minolta and began battling him for the lead. The 88C-V pitted on lap 8, giving me 2nd. The Nissan spun in the roundabout and pitted on lap 9, going back to 5th. The Minolta passed me at the end of the first straight. He kept his lead until the roundabout, where I took it back. The Nissan R89C pitted on lap 10. He was passed by the Mercedes CLK-GTR (who was drafting the Toyota and Myself) and so was the R92CP (who had been passed by him on lap 9). The Minolta passed me in the roundabout on lap 11 and held onto the lead until lap 14. I retook the lead at the end of the 2nd straight and held on it for a much needed win.. The other Gillet pitted on lap 12. The Mercedes and I didn't pit.

Finishing order:
Gillet Vertigo Race Car
Toyota Minolta 88C-V (+.752s)
Mercedes CLK-GTR (+1.318s) :boggled:
Nissan R92CP :lol:
Nissan R89C
Gillet Vertigo Race Car

Points Order:
Nissan R92CP 38 Points
Toyota Minolta 88C-V 38 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 30 Points
Nissan R89C 22 Points
Mercedes CLK-GTR 16 Points
Gillet Vertigo Race Car 6 Points

Race Impressions: This race taught me 4 things: 1) Group C cars don't really like 90 degree turns. 2) Drifting through a corner every lap can be good, so long as you don't screw up. 3) The R92CP hates the bumper strip (what ended up spinning him out on lap 9) when it's tires are roasted. 4) The big bad Merc can actually go very fast when drafting me the whole race.

Back