75 joyful points: The Escudo kicks ass at the Like the Wind race.

• Thread starter Mr.Slow
  • 29 comments
Once again I found myself not wanting to spend any of my 17 odd million credits on a race so I did what I always do and embarked on a $0 win quest. I though that I wouldn't have much of a problem since I have plenty of fast prize cars that can haul a$$.... but as fate would have it speed don't mean jack without tyres!

THE HOTSHOTS(S)
**NOTE: All of my cars are on the stock tyres (Which happens to be RS for most of the fast ones)

R92C: I knew tire wear would be a problem and I knew that I'd be lucky to get to the third lap. I figured I'd get enough advantage on the others to squeeze in a pit stop. If any onther fast cars are in the race I would just have to keep them behind. Guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK Finished 3rd a good 25 seconds behind because the Bentley didn't pit....

C9: Pretty much a repeat of the race with the R92C. Xcept that I didn't loose so much time on lap 3 (pit lap) as the tires didn't wear out so much. Once again the Bentley did not pit.... 2nd by 19 seconds.

Bentley: I had to try! If he didn't pit in the other races... maybe I would get lucky... YEAH RIGHT!... I was able to pit on lap 4 with a 12 second lead though... finished 3rd by 16 seconds as the Jag XJR-9 and the R390 didn't pit. Missed out on 2nd by 0.5 seconds (Behind the R390)

F1: Didn't want to try this one because it tops out at 210 and wouldn't be able to keep up with the non-pitting AI bastards (even when you draft the rev limiter can make you drop off). Maybe playing with the gears.... Decided to leave it as a last resource as I wasn't sure the tyres were up to it anyway.

THE UNDERDOG

SUZUKI ESCUDO: I figured I'd give it a go since it almost as light as the F1 and has almost the same HP as the others. That, plus I had never driven it since winning it. I let out a big "Ohhh Babyyyyy!!" when I saw it comes with Racing Hards stock. If it wasn't because I was alone in the house I would have been really stuck trying to explain my extreme pleasure over a set of tyres... :nervous:

First try: This thing takes off like a hare with a bad case of 'the runs'. Leaves everybody behind, even takes a 2 second lead on pos 2... until it hits top speeed of 204MPH and gets overtaken by the other fast runners. Didn't need to pit but the rev limiter made me drop off the drafting half way the back straight on the first lap. After that it was more a matter of 'how small' my margin of defeat was going to be....

Second try: OK. So the tyres last the distance (they stay blue until lap 3) but the speed is lacking. Only choice : GEAR CHANGES! :) . Once again I take off leaving everybody behind. Once again I get overtaken by the faster cars before the end of lap 1. Once again I finish a handful of seconds behind. But the car was topping out at 212 and just didn't have the speed.

Third try: Some more mucking around with the gears. Car tops out at 225, car gets left behind by the others, car finshes 3rd... but by less than 6 seconds. Grrrrrrr :ouch:

Fourth try: Yet some more mucking around with the gears. Car can't sustain last gear (not enough HP) but it tops out at 255MPH when drafting. However the loss of speed on the turns is quite dramatic and the AI always manages to pass me before crossing the finish line (on each lap). Finished 2nd by 2.5 seconds.

Fifth try: I take a deep breath and review my notes from Mission 23. Re-live the mission in my head... passing the yellow skyline on the last turn.... yes, it will come down to the last turn, the last draft. But once again the 905 manages to screw me by decelerating too much before his last pass and making it too hard for me to draft once he's through on the high lane. 2nd by 0.303. Victory is soooooooo close I can taste it! :yuck:

Sixth try: Gears unchanged. This has come down to race craft. Changed the plan a little. Instead of being nice and playing leapfrog with the 905 and the McLaren F1 (Which always pits on lap 4 and drops off) I decide to go flat out and out of the racing line to make it harder for them to draft me. The hope is that when they catch up to me on the turns I will be far enough into it that I can either block them or let them by before loosing too much speed and do a 'draft to the wire'.

First lap I managed to stay in front until the end of turn 1. Then drafted them a little but I had been to far in front so I didn't build up enough speed to get away before turn 2. I tried blocking then but it just didn't feel right. Crossed the finish line on first (just barely).

Second lap I decided to let them pass so I can draft enough speed from them out of turn 1 and have a good lead before turn 2. It sort of works and I reach 245 MPH before coming out of slipstream. Try to block again on turn 2 but since there is two of them I get bumped off the racing line and overtaken so I decided to switch to plan b.

Third lap. Try perfecting the slingshot manouver out of turn 1 and attempt it on turn 2. Goes fine on 1 not so good on 2 but feels more comfortable than trying to block them.

Fourth lap. Turn one slingshot down pat. Turn 2 is better but i bump the 905 as I didn't pull out of slipstream soon enough.

Fifth lap. This is it! Turn 1 goes as planned... I pull off the racing line on turn 2 to let the 905 pass and pull behind him perfectly. I am doing about 215 and he must be doing 225. Buttocks clenched, holding my breath, foot flat on the accelerator I inch towards his rear end, go past the PIT sign on the road, getting real close to his butt... swerve to the left and close my eyes... I don't wana see red time splits!!!

When I finally opened my eyes I saw I won but not by how much. Had to watch the replay... It didn't look like I won but sure enough: Nice blue time split reading - 0.073.

Best fun I've had in a while!

BTW: Tranny set on auto 15 and final gear on 2.207

BTW: I have the video so I can take some pics if enough people request them (Or if OG does... he's such a nice guy, all he needs to do is ask!)

Great writeup again Mr. Slow!

One thing I found on Like The Wind is that the fastest line, if the car can drive it without scrubbing too much speed, is always on the inside of the track, i.e. drive near the pit wall, and take the turns down at the bottom of the track. Never move out to the right hand side, always stay on the left side of the track. This is quicker because it's a shorter distance. It also has the added benefit of making sure noone benefits from your slipstream, because the AI will never venture onto that side of the racetrack. Of course, if the car is sliding and scrubbing off speed down at the bottom because of the reduced banking angle, you lose your benefit.

Learnt this one trying to get gold in one of the early flat oval license tests in Prologue, where you cannot exceed 50mph and the car is then untaxed by the corners.

torque998
You only got 75 points? I just did this race today in the exact same ride and got 200 points.

What was the competition? Did you de-tune the car? The only fast cars I had were the 905 (which didn't pit) and the McLaren F1 (which pits). All the others finished way behind.

Whoa, you got a very weak field. Here was my competition

1. MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V
2. Audi R8
3. Playstation Pescarolo C60
4. Mazda 787B
5. Peugoet 905

I had the gear ratio up to the point where my escudo topped out at 240 in a draft. All my Escudo had was an oil change.

I just finished taking the photos.... I made a mistake: the McLaren F1 finished in 4th behind the BMW V12 somethingorother (I always mistake it for the McLaren F1)

The other two were the Gillete and the Camaro LM

Here are the pics. Sorry for not putting a comment on each one of them as I am trying to not be late for work. If you look closely (and re read the original post) you may realize that my recollection when writing the story was not a accurate as I thoght (I realized this when watching the video this morning - it had been about 5 days since I had run the race)

:lol: ...haven't seen a differential that low in a long while. Great race!

My lowest ever was .171 in Mission 11. :P

Damn, how'd you get 200 A-spec and Mr. Slow only got 75? Did you use N-Tires :lol:

Mr. Slow's field had three rolling road blocks (the Camaro, the McLaren, and the Vertigo). I got a field without any of the slower GTS cars. Look at my second post in this thread to see my field. Also, I minimized the downforce on my escudo because downforce equals drag on the test oval and even with minimum downforce, the huge rear wing caused an enormous amount of drag whenever I exited the slipstream.

and btw, I used the R1 tires that came with the car.

Hopefully that will answer your question, niky.

torque998
My differential was even lower. In the same event with the same ride, I beat the Audi R8 by 0'00.012.

Your differential was lower due to the gear ratios (I reckon). You said your car was topping out at 240MPH. As you can see from the pics I crossed the finish line at 247MPH. The difference in speed can easily account for the 0.05x seconds.

Niky, I have had lower differentials:

MX-5 '89 (Turbo 2 & R1 tyres)/Manufacturer Events/Mazda NR-A Roadster Cup (Championship)/Race 2 Tokyo/ 78 points: 1st to 1st by 0.060
Bentley Speed 8 (Stock everything)/Extreme Hall/Race ? Driving Park Oval/ 8 points: 6th to 1st by 0.014. Bump drafting the minolta and go on the inside as soon as the pit lane is visible.
Mission 30 beat it by 0.066
Lotus Elan S1 '62 (Stock everything)/Beginner Hall/Spider & Roadster/
Race 3 Infineon/141 points: 1st by 0.016 (got video)

mmmm... I wonder if that pays tribute to my "mr.slow" name :dunce:

Mr.Slow
Your differential was lower due to the gear ratios (I reckon). You said your car was topping out at 240MPH. As you can see from the pics I crossed the finish line at 247MPH. The difference in speed can easily account for the 0.05x seconds.

Niky, I have had lower differentials:

MX-5 '89 (Turbo 2 & R1 tyres)/Manufacturer Events/Mazda NR-A Roadster Cup (Championship)/Race 2 Tokyo/ 78 points: 1st to 1st by 0.060
Bentley Speed 8 (Stock everything)/Extreme Hall/Race ? Driving Park Oval/ 8 points: 6th to 1st by 0.014. Bump drafting the minolta and go on the inside as soon as the pit lane is visible.
Mission 30 beat it by 0.066
Lotus Elan S1 '62 (Stock everything)/Beginner Hall/Spider & Roadster/
Race 3 Infineon/141 points: 1st by 0.016 (got video)

mmmm... I wonder if that pays tribute to my "mr.slow" name :dunce:

Hmmm... some might actually say you were doing it on purpose... :lol: :lol: :lol:

torque998
You only got 75 points? I just did this race today in the exact same ride and got 200 points.
I scored 200 points for this as well, have the lineup at home but on the last lap it was onley me and the AMG CLK Race car and beating him was quite an easy task :)

Mr.Slow
Good job M3_CSL!

I guess I will try this again until I find the 200 pt lineup... :-)
Tnx :) Not that hard when everyone but one pits, and that one was the easyest car to beat. I can give you the lineup later today if my computer at home will fire up :indiff:

That is OK. I meant "I will try until I get a 200 point lineup". Since all I did was change the gear ratios on the tranny it is a matter of drawing the "proper" lineup... not like the one I got when I tried.

Mr.Slow
That is OK. I meant "I will try until I get a 200 point lineup". Since all I did was change the gear ratios on the tranny it is a matter of drawing the "proper" lineup... not like the one I got when I tried.
I earned 200 points against: Merc AMG CLK RC, Nissan R92 CP RC, Minolta 88, Nissan R89 and that poor Gillet. Tried again yesterday and went up against the Audi R8 for 141 A-spec points, that would have been hard but he pits on lap three
:grumpy: at least I got a new best lap with 1,39,677 and a top speed of 410 kmh. Then B-Bob gave it a try........ :dopey: wath a laugh.... he realy sucks on slipstreaming :indiff:
BTW this lineup also gives 200 p, Nissan R92, Sauber Merc C9, Nissan R 390, Toyota One and that poor Gillet, here everyone pits exept the Gillet :)

i have actualy won with (almost) the lowest you can get: .002 secunds in my stock mini vs an other stock mini.
the odd thing is, that when i look at the replay, im actually BEHIND the other mini when i crosses the finishline!!!

Thread revival! lolification time :)

winnin by 0.000 is even better. i have won by 0.001 in the Nurb race on +10 difficulty. But Im not going to post it seeing as my other two threads got very little responses

ImprezaAddict
Thread revival! lolification time :)

winnin by 0.000 is even better. i have won by 0.001 in the Nurb race on +10 difficulty. But Im not going to post it seeing as my other two threads got very little responses

winning with 0.000??? :confused: maybe they should have made a "split point" system for the two cars, in this kind of situation...! 💡 :boggled:

Back