Fun Race + video: German Touring at the Ring w/ AMG 190

• Thread starter ZZII
  • 13 comments
This morning I reached 29.8% in GT4 and, tempted by the next multiple of 10, I decided to do one more race. Having just acquired the AMG 190 Touring Car, I decided to try it out in the German Touring Car Championship. And if I was going to do just one race, it would of course be at the Nurburgring. It turned out to be an extremely fun race and so I saved the replay for a write-up. So here is the race that took me to 30.0%, 10,000 A-spec Points, and (coincidentally) my 500th GTP post:

- GT4 Race Report -

Series: Deutsche Touring Car Meisterschaft
Race: #4, Nurburgring Nordschleife (1 lap)

Car: Mercedes-Benz AMG 190 E 2.5-16V Evolution II Touring Car ('92), “stock” (as-won)

Field (at start):

Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
Opel Astra Touring Car '00
Audi A4 Touring Car '04
AMG Mercedes 190 E Evoll Touring Car '92
Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI '93
AMG Mercedes 190 E Evoll Touring Car '92 <- me ;)

This field out-classes the 190 a bit, as indicated by the fact that the AI 190 finishes last and by the A-spec Points…

A-spec Points: 127

Race Recap:

After seeing the opponents and the A-spec reward, I knew I was in for a challenge. The five AI cars got a good jump on me during the running start. I knew from doing Mission 34 that the fastest way through the first few turns of the Nordschleife is to “mow the lawn.” I hate doing it, because it is not realistic racing, but after seeing the jump the AI cars seemed to get, I figured I had nothing to lose, so I used some “alternate lines” for the first section of track.

One of the turns that I lost time on in Mission 34 and had to work on a lot was Flugplatz. (http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/satellite_pic_named.jpg) Getting out of it with good exit speed is key since it is followed by a long straight. I took a wide line through it and came out with enough speed to pass the AI 190 and the Alfa Romeo 155 on the straight.

I cut the grass again at Aremburg, another trick I had become accustomed to due to Mission 34. I regret doing it in this race, because I think that I could definitely win it without leaving the track given a few tries. Anyway, that helped me close the gap on the next two cars a bit. The next bit of track I raced “properly,” just trying to nail wide lines through all the turns. I did so pretty well, but still lost over a second on the cars in front of me.

The next turn that I learned is critical to good lap times is Bergwerk, since it too is right before a long straightaway. I hit a good line through it and closed a good deal on the A4 and the Astra. I went full-throttle through the slight kink before Angst Kurve and came out as far right as possible before braking lightly to set up a very wide/fast line through Angst. This move put me right up on the A4 and the Astra and I was able to pass them on the Kurve.

I followed a normal racing line through the next few turns including the Karussell, then cut a corner one last time at Hohe Acht. This was another move I learned during M34: come into it a gear above what is indicated and aim straight across the grass, letting off the throttle but not braking. Then, slide out back onto the road just before the sharper right turn. The time benefit is minimal for all these shortcuts, but for Mission 34 they did help. In this race, they were probably unnecessary and I would like to try racing it again without using them.

Wipperman was another section that gave me trouble in the mission, but the touring car gripped it well and I hit the lines near-perfectly, coming dangerously close to the outside grass/dirt on exit a few times. I closed on the TT-R and by this point, I knew I could take him.

The opportunity to pass came exactly where I would have wanted it: Pflanzgarten II. Again going on my Mission 34 experience, I took the jump with only slight let-up on the throttle and then floored it, coming through the next series of turns with so much speed that I gained about a second on the TT-R in that one section, flying past it just before Schwalbenschwanz.

The rest was just defending my lead. Exit speed out of Galgenkopf was important because it leads into the long straightaway. I think that if I was still behind the TT-R, I could have passed him on that stretch. The Schikane I handle by braking lightly at first and just trying to bleed off some speed without locking up, then braking harder on final approach to the T13 bend. It worked well and I finished off with a lap time of 7’12.003, 1.450 seconds ahead of the TT-R.

Here are my splits:

0’52.920 +6.655
1’27.367 +5.504
1’55.107 +4.760
2’47.096 +5.998
3’25.456 +6.033
3’53:320 +3.732
4’42.022 +2.002
5’21.963 +1.652
5’43.676 +0.760
6’24.908
6’49.132
7’12.003

That lap time is actually only 2 seconds slower than my Mission 34 lap in the MacLaren SLR. Mission 34 is standing-start, while this race was running-start, but on a track this big with a sharp turn a few hundred feet past the start, the difference shouldn’t be much. Plus, I had to do M34 over and over to hit that time in the SLR, whereas this was my first time with the 190. I was surprised that the 370 HP, 4-clyinder 190 Touring Car can pretty easily beat the 610 HP V8 SLR on this track. I guess the tuning really makes a difference.

These were the final times for the field:

AMG Mercedes 190 E Evoll Touring Car '92 - 7'12.003
Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02 - 7'13.453
Opel Astra Touring Car '00 - 7'19.320
Audi A4 Touring Car '04 - 7'20.352
Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI '93 - 7'21.179
AMG Mercedes 190 E Evoll Touring Car '92 - ?'??.???

I think the AI 190 would have finished somewhere around 7’30. I was pretty happy to have done so much better than my AI counterpart on my first try at this race. I could tell that doing Mission 34 what seems like hundreds of times had paid off in my ability to handle The Ring. I wouldn’t say that this was a very difficult race, but a nice challenge and a good test of my Ring skills. Since these touring cars were born there, it is a pleasure to run them on The Ring (much more enjoyable than the SLR, I thought). I’ll probably go back and try it without the “shortcuts” at some point, but I was glad that such a fun race brought me to the 30.0% mark.

And here’s the replay: http://web.mit.edu/scolton/www/AMG_ring_512.wmv

Enjoy!

-Shane

ZZII
I was surprised that the 370 HP, 4-clyinder 190 Touring Car can pretty easily beat the 610 HP V8 SLR on this track. I guess the tuning really makes a difference.
-Shane

As do tires and downforce.

A great write up with a replay to boot!

:lol: lot of "mowing" there... it seems like you could still go a bit faster or just as fast on the right line, though.

niky
:lol: lot of "mowing" there... it seems like you could still go a bit faster or just as fast on the right line, though.

Yea, I ran it again while going through the series. After an oil change and a slight transmission tweak, I was able to run it without cutting corners with a lap time of around 7'06 even with a trip into a gravel run-off. This car can definitely run a lap under 7'00 stock without cheating. :)

Edit: WELL under 7'00. 6'45? less? ;)

ZZII
I was surprised that the 370 HP, 4-clyinder 190 Touring Car can pretty easily beat the 610 HP V8 SLR on this track. I guess the tuning really makes a difference.
It's a racecar - and it weighs in at around 1000kgs where the SLR carries quite a bit more bulk ;) (It's fat - EOS)

But thank you for an enjoyable write-up (race-report ? ) - Still waiting for the vid !..

Another 'ring adventure (not quite deserving of a write-up, but still fun and challenging):

Race: Pan Euro Championship #5: Nurburgring (2 laps)
Car: RUF RGT '00, absolutely stock (sports soft tires)
A-spec points: 172!

For some reason, the stock RGT always gives me high A-spec point races that I can actually win. This was the highest so far, but due partially to the AI's inability to stay on the track, this was an easy-ish win. The RGT's lap times were in the 7'30's (edit: was able to hit 7'24 and change a bit later) I think, faster than the A.I. McLaren SLR but not M34 times (7'10-ish).

Nice! You sure do love your numbers, don't you? ;) Pretty nice lap, I have yet to beat M34 (closest I got was 4 seconds including a penalty right at the end), and some of those shortcuts looks like they might help...hadn't seen a video with them in it yet, so now I know exactly what to do. Nice writeup, I was wondering if a stock 190 could keep up, looks like it can :)

JTSnooks
Nice! You sure do love your numbers, don't you? ;) Pretty nice lap, I have yet to beat M34 (closest I got was 4 seconds including a penalty right at the end), and some of those shortcuts looks like they might help...hadn't seen a video with them in it yet, so now I know exactly what to do. Nice writeup, I was wondering if a stock 190 could keep up, looks like it can :)

This video would probably be more helpful with the shortcuts, since it's the actual mission and an in-car view:
http://web.mit.edu/scolton/www/M34_NTSC_stream.wmv

Awesome! Thanks a lot...you must've been really freaked out at some points on that mission...there were a few spots where it looked like you almost lost it. Now I have a video guide to go by :) Thanks again :)

JTSnooks
Awesome! Thanks a lot...you must've been really freaked out at some points on that mission...there were a few spots where it looked like you almost lost it. Now I have a video guide to go by :) Thanks again :)

Yea that was a close call after Miss-Hit-Miss. I had to master the art of "the save" for that mission. Stuff like that you should probably not use as a guide. :yuck: There are cleaner videos somewhere in GTP.

I gave up watching your replay after about 4 corners due to your cheating. I fail to see how cheating by straight lining the corners is anything worth crowing about.

Team GSW
I gave up watching your replay after about 4 corners due to your cheating. I fail to see how cheating by straight lining the corners is anything worth crowing about.

Wow... you really had to drag up an old thread to flame? Read through the damn posts... he said he tried it again without "mowing the grass"... Jeez, newbs... :grumpy:

Back