Physics: EPR vs GT4

• Thread starter JasBird
  • 295 comments

JasBird

Premium
Norway
Norway
After completing both GT4 and EPR one of the big differences I have noticed when it comes to physics is how the games handles the mass of the cars differently. If you go to Nurburgring in both games and take the Lotus Elise and the Aston Martin Vanquish V12 you really notice a difference in the two games.

In GT4 I find the Lotus which is a light car very "jumpy" and unstable compared to the the Aston Martin V12 which is a very heavy car very stable and easy to drive. This off course is mostly noticed in the high speed corners. Since I played GT4 before EPR I taught this made sense. The Ring is bumby, so a heavy car like the Vanquish V12 has more mass which makes it more stable because gravity makes it "stick" more to the ground.

Now if we go to EPR I find the opposite. The Lotus Elise is a beauty to drive on the Ring. Very stable. The Vanuish feels more heavy and unstable.

If we think about real life, the Elise is famous for it's handling and road grip. Lotus is famous for making light cars, and we all know the advantages with a light car when it comes to acceleration and top speed. Another good reason for a car with less weight is you have less mass to move around when cornering, which I would assume gives you a more stable car?

Atleast for me I think there is a big difference in the games, and only one of them has got it right. I think EPR makes more sense??

- Bullitt73

Bullitt73
After completing both GT4 and EPR one of the big differences I have noticed when it comes to physics is how the games handles the mass of the cars differently. If you go to Nurburgring in both games and take the Lotus Elise and the Aston Martin Vanquish V12 you really notice a difference in the two games.

In GT4 I find the Lotus which is a light car very "jumpy" and unstable compared to the the Aston Martin V12 which is a very heavy car very stable and easy to drive. This off course is mostly noticed in the high speed corners. Since I played GT4 before EPR I taught this made sense. The Ring is bumby, so a heavy car like the Vanquish V12 has more mass which makes it more stable because gravity makes it "stick" more to the ground.

Now if we go to EPR I find the opposite. The Lotus Elise is a beauty to drive on the Ring. Very stable. The Vanuish feels more heavy and unstable.

If we think about real life, the Elise is famous for it's handling and road grip. Lotus is famous for making light cars, and we all know the advantages with a light car when it comes to acceleration and top speed. Another good reason for a car with less weight is you have less mass to move around when cornering, which I would assume gives you a more stable car?

Atleast for me I think there is a big difference in the games, and only one of them has got it right. I think EPR makes more sense??

- Bullitt73

Some of what you say is true (in the real world) some of it is not.

You seem to be addressing the effect weight has on a car and how it performs, so lets have a look at a few of them.

Acceleration
Of two equally powered cars the lighter one will generally accelerate quicker due to having a better power to weight ratio. However when you get two cars with an identical power-to weight ratio but different weights, its not quite so simple.

Top Speed
The top speed of a car has nothing to do with its weight; top speed is all about power, size (frontal area of the car), its drag co-efficient and rolling resistance.

Handling
One of the best advantages of a light car can be its ability to change direction. Generally a lighter car will have a lower Polar moment of inertia, the lower this value the easier it is for an object to change direction when moving. However like all things in life it is not always that simple, low weight on its own does not simply equal good handling; just potentially good handling. How this weight is distributed in the car, determines the centre of gravity, which is also important in determining PMI.

Remember that a low PMI (which comes from weight and how it is distributed) just determines how easily the car wants to change direction, unless the rest of the components; suspension, tyres, chassis, etc are up to the job then its still not going to handle well.

Smoothness
Generally a heavier car will be more stable at speed than a lighter car and a lighter car will be more effected by bumps and surface irregularities than a heavier one. Suspension can however change all of this, I would rather drive a light car with well set up suspension at speed that a heavy car with poor suspension.

Grip
This is the really complex one, so I will try and keep it quite straightforward.
As a general rule grip will increase as the download on a tyre increases, however this is made up of two factors.

The first is how download affects the tyres co-efficient of friction, now this will reduce as the download increases, its also not linear, so the more download the quicker the CF reduces. Now before anyone starts saying that I have contradicted myself, we need to look at how the tyres CF translates to tractive forces.

If a tyre generates a CF of 1.7 at 200lbs of download it is generating 340lbs of tractive force (1.7 * 200). If at 400lbs of download the same tyre has a CF of 1.35 it is now generating 540lbs of tractive force (1.35 * 400). So while the CF has reduced the overall tractive force has increased. However remember that the rate of increase declines as loading gets higher.

Now download on a car is never static when a car is in motion and the download will vary when you brake, accelerate and turn. It could then be said that the actual weight of a car is less important to grip that how the car transfers that weight. Certainly this is true under braking.

Now I hope that all the above make sense and just for the record its have been taken from the Physics of racing series (Link in the GT4 & Brakes thread in my sig) and the book 'Going Faster' which is the manual of the Skip Barber racing school.

As a sidenote I have driven an Elise on a number of occasions and at speed the front end is very light and bumps do affect it in quite a major way. Remember its a light MR car with F/R weight distribution of 38/62, at speed the weight is going to shift to the back reducing the grip offered by the front tyres. However get the car balanced and set-up for a corner and it will corner like very few other road cars.

The Elise does have a reputation for extremely good handling, but it should also be noted that it is not an easy car to drive quickly. It demands a lot of the driver, one UK jurno said that the original Elise had lift-off oversteer as bad as a 1970's Porsche 911. Too many people equate good handling to easy to drive, they are not the same thing.

So how does this translate to Enthusia Vs GT4

Well in my opinion its not a fair comparison, the reason is that the 'ring in GT4 and Enthusia are very different. GT4's version has many, many bumps (which I feel is accurate - certainly from my visits) which would favour the Aston in terms of stability). Enthusia's 'ring is far to smooth (but has represented a couple of the corners better than GT4) which would favour the Lotus.

In the balance neither GT4 nor Enthusia has got the physics of driving 100%; Enthusia is much better at low speed physics, but GT4 represents high-speed physics more accurately (all in my opinion of course).

Personally I have and love both.

Regards

Scaff

Hey Scaff thanks for all the great info. 👍

My point was just that there is quite some difference between the games in the physics. Also since I'm not an expert 💡 , I was just speaking in general about mass/weight not thinking about power to weight ratio etc. I'm sure other things like how they programmed drag effects car etc comes into play too. I just notice there is a big differnce.

But I have to say in GT3 and GT4 I find the Elise a big disapointment to drive. I wasn't thinking just on the bums on the GT4 RING, it's just feels weird/nervous to drive in general, specially high speed? I do love it in EPR :) But I have never driven one in real life so thanks for your input.

I really like this EPR forum. 👍 Lot of good info and discussions. Thanks again Scaff. 👍

Bullitt73

Now RS, you are just being ridiculous, GT4 aren't bad.

Is Enthusia that good? Because when I first tried LFS2, the starion looking car was hard to drive fast. I can keep it on the track, but hard to thrown around.

In Enthusia, however, everthing is a polite pleasure, except for TVR. BAD TVR!

So my question is that, is enthusia less realistic than LFS, or does the starion looking car have a loose character?

Scaff
(...insightful post...)
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. 👍

Could you elaborate on how GT4 has better high speed physics?

Have you tried LFS S2? How does LFS compare to real life? I'm dying to hear it from someone with plenty of track experience.

uM_Jammer
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. 👍

Could you elaborate on how GT4 has better high speed physics?

Have you tried LFS S2? How does LFS compare to real life? I'm dying to hear it from someone with plenty of track experience.

No problem at all.

The high speed side of things relates to the ease at which you can collect and recover from a slide at high speed in Enthusia.

Try taking one of the LMP cars out on the Speedopolis track (bloody silly name BTW) and slam on the handbrake half way around the corner. Gathering up this kind of slide in Enthusia is far to easy; now GT4 still is not perfect at high speeds, but major control loss is usually just that. The end result normally being a quick trip to the armco, backwards.

Remember I don't claim to think that either is 100%, Enthusia has the edge on the low speed stuff, just give it a go with handbrake turns and donuts. But GT4 is much closer on the high speed stability issues.

As far as LFS S2 goes, yes I have tried it and it really shows the difference you can make with regard to both hardware and not having to worry about selling your product to a mass market (as Enthusia, GT4 and Forza all had to do). Its an excellent sim, my only issue (and it is a big one) is that for understandable reasons (the cost of the licences) it does not have any 'real' cars in it.

Regards

Scaff

O.k. Without being brash and unreasonable, GT4 is WAY more realistic when it comes to race cars and I'd say 99% accurate, Enthusia is only about 75%.
As far as DRIFTING is concerned, Enthusia is 99% accurate, GT4 is only about 50%.
As for high speed stuff. GT4 is 90% accurate, and Enthusia is 75%.
As for low speed, Enthusia is 99% accurate, and GT4 is 50%.
And in car origionality, Enthusia 90%, GT4 is 50%.
Overall: Enthusia gets a 80% and GT4 only comes up with 60%

Drifting is way important to me and GT4's flaws show up there. Enthusia's flaws show up in high speed cornering.

Scaff
As far as LFS S2 goes, yes I have tried it and it really shows the difference you can make with regard to both hardware and not having to worry about selling your product to a mass market (as Enthusia, GT4 and Forza all had to do). Its an excellent sim, my only issue (and it is a big one) is that for understandable reasons (the cost of the licences) it does not have any 'real' cars in it.

Regards

Scaff

That's my only real gripe with LFS as well. It doesn't help that modding isn't supported either.

I'm willing to overlook a lot of the "extras" as long as the game offers reasonable realism. The reason is because I'm looking to get started in autocross, as well as getting on a track for the first time with one of those 2-day driver training (and have some fun) programs. I want to experiment all I can before hitting it for real. :dopey:

rsmithdrift
O.k. Without being brash and unreasonable, GT4 is WAY more realistic when it comes to race cars and I'd say 99% accurate, Enthusia is only about 75%.
As for high speed stuff. Enthusia is 75% accurate and GT4 is 90%.
Well that doesn't sound so retarded.

NSX-R
Stick with Dragon Range... where you will never pass 100mph...
lol, for real.

uM_Jammer
Well that doesn't sound so retarded.

I know, what's retarded are the flaws that PD let get through testing. Like the no donuts thing, and the fact that you can easily get wheelspin w/o getting oversteer in a FR, and the fact that the e-brake is ineffective at getting the car sideways 50% of the time. I mean WTF??!! What was PD thinking? Those guys are drifters, just read the car discriptions in GT3 & 4 and yet they take the good drift physics of GT3 and introduce extremely noticable flaws? I just don't understand them sometimes. They fixed something that wasn't broken, and in turn, broke it. PD you deserve this :dunce:

However they did fix the race car physics very nicely. But killed the drifting in the process. The problem is that they need to have different tire sliding characteristics for the different types of tires. They nailed the Racing/Slick Tire physics perfectly in GT4, but street tires don't handle like that at all. Street/sports tires behave like the tires in Enthusia, but since we're talking GT then GT3 was way more accurate with the Sim/Norm/Sports tire physics. But GT3's Race tire physics were off. They need to combine the best of both worlds, then they'll have an amazingly accurate game on there hands. But they'll never make physics as good as Enthusia's.

The thing is that they shouldn't need to "fix" anything. If they get the physics right in the first place, everything should naturally fall into place, be it drifting or high speed stuff. Of course it's obviously not as easy as I'm making it out to be.

You still can't do proper donuts in GT3 though, same with the e-brake, and same with wheelspin. I don't think GT3 was okay with drifting... just easier to do than GT4. They've both got all the flaws you've mentioned. :dunce:

Gonna go give Enthusia a hug. It's a shame this game isn't appreciated by more people.

rsmithdrift
As far as DRIFTING is concerned, Enthusia is 99% accurate, GT4 is only about 50%.
As for high speed stuff. GT4 is 90% accurate, and Enthusia is 75%.
As for low speed, Enthusia is 99% accurate, and GT4 is 50%.
And in car origionality, Enthusia 90%, GT4 is 50%.
Overall: Enthusia gets a 80% and GT4 only comes up with 60%

Drifting is way important to me and GT4's flaws show up there. Enthusia's flaws show up in high speed cornering.

I would not personally rate GT4 as low as 50% for low speed, originality and drifting.

The low speed issues with GT4 are mainly at very low speed and are (as you say in the later post) very dependent on the tyres fitted. I include the handbrake and do-nut issue in here, which have been problematic in all the GT games as far as I can remember (but I'm away with work for four days now and will be taking my old PSone and GT & GT2 with me so I will let you know on that). Actual low speed 'driving' is not that bad at all. My score would be more towards the 65% here for GT4.

Car Originality, must confess I'm not 100% sure what you are refering to here, but if its in regard to the modeling of the 'stock' version of the car I would rate both games quite close. Remember that Enthusia has the advantage of a lot smaller number of cars to get right, all the cars in game that I have driven in the real world are well modelled; as for the rest I can only go by comparing with actual reviews and road test data and they all seem to be very good. I would give both 90% here.

As far as drifting goes Enthusia is the better of the two because of the inclusion of a working handbrake and clutch, both of which are required to allow the driver the full range of options to initiate a drift. However GT4 is more than capable of handling the physics of a drift once it is initiated, and models the 'snap' you get if you unwind to quickly with more acuracy than Enthusia (which is why very high speed drifts are a doddle in Enthusia). Check out Delphic Reason's excellent video (left click to open) in the GT4 Videos section to see what I mean. Score Enthusia 90% - GT4 75%.

As I have always said (and it good to see this thread has avoided fanboy sillyness - pat on the back to us all) both games have strengthes and weaknesses, now imagine if the two teams got together and produced a game for the PS3!!!

Well I'm AWOL until Saturday now (work and all that jazz)

Regards

Scaff

Dream game?

Tracks from every racing game - GT4, Forza, Initial D, F355, Enthusia, LFS...
Cars from every racing game - GT4, Forza, Initial D, F355, Enthusia, LFS...
GT4's High-speed racing physics
Enthusia's low-speed and drifting physics
LFS cockpit view
F355 semi-cockput view
GT4 hood view
TOCA 2 damage
DFP support with some hybrid of GT4's and Enthusia's FF
HDTV support
Widescreen support
3-screen support
Forza's online play
Analogue clutch, handbrake and H+plate shifter

and enough rec/sick leave to enjoy it all

edit: oh, and proper fully customisable replays with fast forward, rewind, time compression etc.

Tortus
Dream game?

Tracks from every racing game - GT4, Forza, Initial D, F355, Enthusia, LFS...
Cars from every racing game - GT4, Forza, Initial D, F355, Enthusia, LFS...
GT4's High-speed racing physics
Enthusia's low-speed and drifting physics
LFS cockpit view
F355 semi-cockput view
GT4 hood view
TOCA 2 damage
DFP support with some hybrid of GT4's and Enthusia's FF
HDTV support
Widescreen support
3-screen support
Forza's online play
Analogue clutch, handbrake and H+plate shifter

and enough rec/sick leave to enjoy it all

edit: oh, and proper fully customisable replays with fast forward, rewind, time compression etc.

Add that with a g-force simulator and I will love whoever who makes the game for my whole life :dopey:

Scaff
However GT4 is more than capable of handling the physics of a drift once it is initiated, and models the 'snap' you get if you unwind to quickly with more acuracy than Enthusia (which is why very high speed drifts are a doddle in Enthusia).

Yes, drifting is a bit too easy in Enthusia (I've done a good number of nice, high-speed drifts in LFS, and with the DFP), but that 'snap' in GT4 is the bane of my existence. It's way, way, way too exaggerated, and kills any chance of drifting at all. It probably doesn't help that I'm using the Dual Shock, but still. It's funny, too, because that's the opposite problem to the problem GT3 had with drifting, which was that in 75% of high-angle drifts, as the tail came out, the front end would tuck in behind it and put you into a spin. This is quite hard to do in LFS or Enthusia unless you really don't know what you're doing. Most of the time you either slow down a lot, sideways, and then snap out of it, or you just slide sideways to a stop.

Like you guys already said, they broke it more trying to fix what was broken before. :ouch:

Did a few laps in GT4 today. Haven't done that since I got EPR. Used the N3, earlier I used to put on N2, but with the N3 it's feel more like EPR on grip. Now the steering feel is the first thing I notice on GT4 compared to EPR. Less wheel movement and feel in GT4, even though the effects are stronger in GT4 with both games on Strong FF.

Took the Elise 111S out for a spin since I mentioned that on previous post. It's not so bad to drive now as I rememberd it in GT4 👍 Reference time for the Elise in EPR is 9.02.xxx if I remeber correctly? I have a 8.39.xxx as personal best, no black flag. My lap in GT4 was 8.59.xxx ? and considering EPR use standing start I find that surprising? I know I should be able to find about 10 seconds in GT4 if I do a few more laps, but the bumps at the Ring really makes a difference. Still I have to get into the GT4 groove before I make a final judgement. Did a quick test back in EPR and feels like the Lotus accelerates much easier in EPR? Might be reason for Lap times? I'll double check later.

My point with this post is that I always try to drive like I think I would drive the Ring in real life. I don't left foot brake when changing down, also I've been driving a car for many years, so I pretty much know how quickly I can do a gear change, etc. I try not take chances so I go off track and get killed, because I would not do that in real life. This can make huge impact on lap times. I like the black flag in EPR, gives you a bit more pressure to drive clean.

I got Enthusia today and the physics are fantastic, i love throwing the little Polo round Victoria road track, absolutely brilliant fun.

p.s. someone the other day mentioned the Nurburgring in the wet on Enthusia? is this true?

WHen i first had ENthusia i remember trying out the Silvia and quickly switching to another car because i had too much of a hard time pushing it without being all over the place. Now that i'm a veteran at the game i recently picked it again. Now i have learned to control a proper FR car and i can honestly say that i'm a better driver - at least in the game.

I wish someone would try this test also: go to Tsukuba and use the BMW GTR from both GT4 and ENthusia. On a straight line the car would seem to oversteer in GT4, but when you get to that last corner before the straight, the car would understeer itself out of the track in GT4, whereas in Enthusia, if you keep your foot on the throttle, you'll eventually lose the back end as you should in real life.

Each time i go back to GT4 i try to drive teh cars as i think they should be driven, but they never feel right and i can't enjoy the game anymore.

GT_Fan2005
p.s. someone the other day mentioned the Nurburgring in the wet on Enthusia? is this true?

Nope sorry. Propably just mixed it up when people say that the sky looks like it's rainning?

Well going back to GT4 again after playing EPR I must admit I enjoy it. I must agree with Scaff that I think GT4 high speed physics are better. I think GT4 loses out a lot because of the feel of the steering. EPR has much more progressive feel, and the amount of wheel movement I think makes more sense.

Apart from the high speed physics I think GT4 cars are more stable during braking, which for me feels more realistic. Just a shame that the N3 tires lock up too easily with just a little tap on the brakes.

Wolfe2x7
Yes, drifting is a bit too easy in Enthusia (I've done a good number of nice, high-speed drifts in LFS, and with the DFP), but that 'snap' in GT4 is the bane of my existence. It's way, way, way too exaggerated, and kills any chance of drifting at all. It probably doesn't help that I'm using the Dual Shock, but still. It's funny, too, because that's the opposite problem to the problem GT3 had with drifting, which was that in 75% of high-angle drifts, as the tail came out, the front end would tuck in behind it and put you into a spin. This is quite hard to do in LFS or Enthusia unless you really don't know what you're doing. Most of the time you either slow down a lot, sideways, and then snap out of it, or you just slide sideways to a stop.

Like you guys already said, they broke it more trying to fix what was broken before. :ouch:

I'm agreeing with you on the GT4 part. I use a DFP and it's just rediculous how easy it is to snap around.

But I think it's a good thing how easy it is to drift in EPR. This is how easy it is to drift in real life. I have a 300zx that I drift all the time and it's f'ing easy compared to GT4, and Enthu has it perfect. Also having the "dual wheel" setup to have a clutch pedal and e-brake lever makes it more realistic and harder as well. The only flaw Enthu. has is one that GT4 also has, IT'S TOO HARD TO SPIN OUT. And I believe you mentioned that. I found another realistic bit about Enthu. along with an unrealistic side affect.

Here's what it is. In real life it is easy to "get stuck" at 180* when going for a 360. In Enthu. this happens if you don't do it right. But it is too hard to pull a proper reverse 180 in Enthu. Which would be the unrealistic side effect.

Oh, and in the Ultimate game post. Add Toca 2 AI.

rsmithdrift
I'm agreeing with you on the GT4 part. I use a DFP and it's just rediculous how easy it is to snap around.

But I think it's a good thing how easy it is to drift in EPR. This is how easy it is to drift in real life. I have a 300zx that I drift all the time and it's f'ing easy compared to GT4, and Enthu has it perfect. Also having the "dual wheel" setup to have a clutch pedal and e-brake lever makes it more realistic and harder as well.

I only said that it was a bit too easy to drift in EPR. As I said, drifting in Enthusia is very close to what it's like to drift in LFS (inarguably the most realistic road-car sim out there), and what it's like to drift my 318i in real life (~100hp = rain and snow only, though :embarrassed: ). So I agree with you that Enthusia has it just about right.

rsmithdrift
The only flaw Enthu. has is one that GT4 also has, IT'S TOO HARD TO SPIN OUT. And I believe you mentioned that.

Actually, I've found that spinning out isn't as easy as many believe (and MUCH harder than the GT series would like you to believe!). My experience with drifting in the snow has proven that for me, and LFS and Enthusia do a good job with it as well. As I said in my previous post, I've found that if you're applying full countersteer in a drift, and you screw up and put the tail out too far, most of the time you'll either slow down a lot, and then "snap" back to grip, turning sharply in the direction of the countersteer, or you'll just slide to a stop sideways. The "GT3 spin syndrome," which I also talked about in my last post, does exist, but happens mostly with MR and especially RR cars (for example, the FZ50 in LFS S2 can and will spin that way). The "GT4 spin syndrome" happens with any car, but only when you apply too much countersteer, too soon. Otherwise, I think the number one cause for spins, in-game or real, is fishtailing, which is almost always caused by sloppy steering input.

For some proof of GT3/GT4 making spins too easy, just try some sloppy drifting, let yourself spin out a few times, and watch the replay. It looks utterly ridiculous, and totally unrealistic.

rsmithdrift
I found another realistic bit about Enthu. along with an unrealistic side affect.

Here's what it is. In real life it is easy to "get stuck" at 180* when going for a 360. In Enthu. this happens if you don't do it right. But it is too hard to pull a proper reverse 180 in Enthu. Which would be the unrealistic side effect.

I absolutely agree with you. I was rather disappointed when I discovered it was so hard to do -- I really enjoy doing those in LFS. But then I went and drifted my E30 M3 and I loved the game again! ;)

NSX-R
How would you guys compare LFS and Enthusia purely physics-wise?
The suspension and tire grip simulations are quite close, but LFS S2 takes more things into account, such as tire heat, tire pressure, fuel consumption, fuel weight, driver weight....and the suspension settings and gear settings are more comprehensive.

As for comparing just the suspension and tire grip, a.k.a. driving...LFS S2 still has the edge in total realism.

I gotta say, though, the first thing I thought when I played Enthusia was "hey, it's Live for Speed on the PS2!" :D

Any one try the Cobra on Tskuba wet? Impossible!! Too much power and clutch doest help with the DFP when its hard to press when you are counter steering so much. it seems easier with the DS2 when you can hit the clutch any time I dont know how real it is but the RX-7 is no where near as hard to drinve in the wet.

LaBounti
Any one try the Cobra on Tskuba wet? Impossible!! Too much power and clutch doest help with the DFP when its hard to press when you are counter steering so much. it seems easier with the DS2 when you can hit the clutch any time I dont know how real it is but the RX-7 is no where near as hard to drinve in the wet.

The cobra is almost impossible to drive in any condition. The tail just want to overtake the front :drool: .

But the power is nice though.

Back