• 59 comments
2007 Champ Car (Panoz DP01) unveiled!

20051011P_0001.jpg

20051011P_0002.jpg

20051011P_0003.jpg

20051011P_0004.jpg

20051011P_0005.jpg

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9727

The new Panoz chassis is cheaper, smaller, lighter, and generates less dirty air than the current Lola chassis.

Less dirty air = more passing! 👍

Thank you Champ Car! Thank you Ford-Cosworth! Thank you Panoz!

I can't wait for the 2007 Champ Car season! :cheers:

Wow, that is one sexy little car! 👍

Really nice!

But I don’t see a pop-off valve?

The on-board starter will be good too. 👍 No more having to wait for 3 or more cars to get restarted after an accident.

Blake

Looks like a semi-old F1 car, except more muscular. From a stylistic standpoint, I really like it. From an engineering standpoint, it's also awsome. Cheaper, and less turbulance is produced. Definitley a step in the right direction (Unlike F1...).

that is one sweet champ car 👍 I dont know if anyone else noticed but it has like an F1 nose and IRL mirrors and seems somewhat bigger then the regular champ cars.

RACECAR
that is one sweet champ car 👍 I dont know if anyone else noticed but it has like an F1 nose and IRL mirrors and seems somewhat bigger then the regular champ cars.
Yeah, the raised nose kinda suprised me though … but the new car is smaller than the old one in all dimentions I believe.

Blake

Looks kinda strange I think. Its like a mixture between modern open wheelers and older ones.

it might just be me, but it looks like all champ cars have been is old modified irl cars. I say this because look at the earlier cars(about in the early 90s I think)and you instantly notice that the aerodymics are almost(if not are)the same.

Wow, Racecar do you have ANY understanding about the history of CART and the IRL? I mean, seriously, any knowledge whatsoever?

CART (now the Champ Car World Series or whatever Gentilozzi and the rest of those ****heads call it) started out as a rebellion of team owners against the United States Auto Club (USAC) which previously sanctioned Indy Car racing.

These were the salad days of the Indy 500. The two main chassis constructors were McLaren and Gurney Eagle, and the engines were primarily the mythical Offenhauser. In these days, Indy was still the goal of every American driver, still the richest race in the world, and the circuit was still oval.

Car owners, as the 70's became the 80's, wanted more say in purses, rules, and procedure. They broke off from USAC (a devastating move that wouldn't come back to bite them in the ass until the 90's). and formed Championship Auto Racing Teams.

They went road racing, brought in ten tons of sponsorship dollars, garnered some F1 drivers, and everything was okay...............

UNTIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CART, in their infinite lack of wisdom, attempted to divert focus from both the Indy 500 (dumbasses wanted to make Long Beach the headline act, stupid mother****ers), oval racing, and local American short tracks. As American open wheel drivers no longer moved up into Indy cars, and public interest (and as such, sponsorship and factory dollars) waned, CART decided that going further to become a sort of "American F1" was the solution, while Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Tony George felt that a more cost controlled, all oval series with production based engines was the solution.

In 1996, the two broke apart, CART went on its own way, and Tony George formed the Indy Racing League.

Neither one worked. Both lost car counts, and continually revised rules to try and build fields and fan interest failed, and the flow of American open wheel drivers out of the old USAC ladder system and into NASCAR rides hamstrung open wheel racing in America.

As of right now, CART is running basically the same cars they ran in 1996. Turbo V8 powered Lolas and Reynards. Panoz is the first company to step forward with a new idea in CART. IRL ran ex-CART cars (as many of the teams were defecting from CART) until G-Force and Dallara came up with the new Olds Aurora OR Infiniti Q45 powered Indy cars.

Of course, thanks to Panoz/G-Force chassis, Toyota and Honda, and a lot of development, the IRL cars have ben in continual development while the CART Champ Cars have been frozen in time.

Thus the comment that "CART cars look like old IRL cars". CART came first.

And both organizations are the result of abandoning the fine motorsports traditions of American open wheel and the USAC organization.

http://www.weismann.net/indy.html

Here's a great trip back through the salad days.

Wouldn't know about that, always thought Champ Cars were better. :lol:

This one looks great, classic styling, muscular build, not all of that twiddly, fiddly aerodynamic crap cluttering an F1 car. Love the aero around the rear wheels.

I think the raised nose might have something to do with limiting downforce? A la F1?

Champ Cars, IRL Indy Cars. They're both crap and both organizations are full of ****heads.

I want USAC to take over the 500 again so that the bleeding of good midwestern open wheel pilots from Silver Crown, sprints, supermodifieds, and midgets to bleedin' NASCAR (open wheel drivers don't belong in tin tops).

Our drivers belong at Indy, and USAC used to put them there. All CART and the IRL have done is destroy Indy Car racing.

niky
I think the raised nose might have something to do with limiting downforce? A la F1?
They’ve probably ditched venturi tunnels. The raised nose is a better design for flat bottomed cars.

Blake

i think your putting to much focus on the drivers being american. i believe that is a driver from another country can drive better then one from this country they should get the seat. this crap with danica being so fauned over is point enough why we shouldnt make such a big deal over where the driver comes from.

i think usac is fine doing just dirt car. something i dont like.

Shows just how much you know about USAC. They're an even split between dirt events and asphalt, and most of their marquee events are on asphalt.

And as far as wanting American drivers in Indy cars, it's a matter of wanting them to have a ****ing SHOT at competing at Indy. In case you haven't noticed, CART and IRL seats go to whoever puts up the sponsorship cash. It has nothing to do with talent.

If it did, would Alex Yoong, Justin Wilson, Tomas Scheckter, Eliseo Salazar, and on down the list EVER have got rides over Kasey Kahne or J.J Yeley?

And on top of the fact that pay drivers make me sick to my stomach, it's a matter of the finest sort of tradition of Indy. You may not realize it, even though you're a fellow midwesterner, but us midwest drivers grow up in Indy's shadow, especially if we're open wheel drivers.

My home track is a small 1/2mile paper clip called Sandusky Speedway. Sandusky doesn't have any big series that roll through it (the biggest is ISMA, the Internation Super Modified Association) and it doesn't even seat 10,000people, but the track has been in continuous operation for almost 60 years, and the list of alumni who have gone on to race at Indy is phenomeonal.

Gordon Johncock, Timmy Richmond, Nolan Swift, Todd Gibson, Joe Gosek, Bentley Warren, and the list goes on. And Sandusky is not alone. Every track from the Michigan Peninsula, down to Knoxville, Iowa, through Western Pennsy, and out to Upstate New York has this common thread of Indianapolis running through it.

Those of us who've grown up living with this history, this link to the Brickyard, know that Indy is the Grail, the Big Show, the one place that guarantees you your place in the record books. Nothing for us takes the place of Indy, and every Memorial Day weekend we still turn our radios to hear 33 of our fellow drivers live the dream that beats in every one of our hearts. Not a one of the young guns in open wheel wants Daytona, wants Talladega or Bristol. They want Indy. They bleed Indy.

And for nearly 30 years now, we've been locked out of our our home at Indy, OUR HOME AT INDY, because of an organization that turned its back on practically 70 years of time honored tradition, turned its back on men like Bill Vukovich, Eddie Sachs, and Swede Savage who gave their lives to the bricks all chasing immortality at our Home.

Indy doesn't belong to Tony George, it doesn't belong to F1 wannabes, and it doesn't belong to the rest of the world. Indy belongs to the young warrior strapping into a sprinter in Anytown, USA, every saturday night, filled with reckless determination and limitless potential.

Indy belongs to the men who call it home.

I don't expect an import fan to understand that sort of sentiment, that sort of legacy.

Yeah, I agree, Americans should be the only ones competing, otherwise better foreign drivers will win. :rolleyes:

You are so full of American patriotism that you seem unable to recognise the talent of people like Bourdais. Oh no, he’s foreign, he can’t race at our race!

Blake

well i wont lie about giving a crap about indy or any other oval racing but i do understand what your saying. we americans are the ones that built it and the ones that made it what it is and the drivers now days that are trying to come up from the same place the former greats did should have a shot. on the other hand though there is the fact that the sport needs these guys that bring in the sponsorship money. it needs the big names from all over the world. i wouldnt tune in to watch joe blow from nowheresville try to win and many others wouldnt. its just the sad fact of how things are.

i used to go to the dirt oval races as a kid so its not like this import fan is totaly cluless.

Blake
Yeah, I agree, Americans should be the only ones competing, otherwise better foreign drivers will win. :rolleyes:

You are so full of American patriotism that you seem unable to recognise the talent of people like Bourdais. Oh no, he’s foreign, he can’t race at our race!

Blake

Blake, I never once said that talented drivers from across the globe shouldn't compete at Indy. If I said that, then the efforts and accomplishments of true greats like Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Denny Hulme, and Nigel Mansell would be disgracefully ignored.

To quote Thomas Paine "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel", and I am not a patriot. I speak not to the snubbing of American drivers, but to the snubbing of Indy's legacy. There is an indelible link between the Heartland's short tracks and Indy's bricks. BOTH CART AND THE IRL have done insurmountable damage to that link, and it's done no good to any side.

God knows I want the rest of the world at Indy too. For as long as I've lived in motorsports, for the Month of May, all the world's eyes turn to 2.5miles of Indianapolis, listen to Back Home Again in Indiana, and brace for the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsport.

You can't have that unless the Montoyas, Tracys, Casto-Neves (and, by the way, Helio is a helluva guy), De Ferrans, Takagis, and Wheldons show up. To celebrate Indy's significance, representatives from around the motoring world are practically a necessity.

However, when I look through the field and there are no representatives from the cradle of Indy, no one who traces their career back to tracks like Anderson, Winchester, Terre Haute, Sandusky, Kalamazoo, Eldora, Knoxville, or Oswego, then I feel nothing but sorrow, because then I realize that the event we of those tracks most cherish, the event we've bled for, no longer represents us.

Layla's Keeper...

Here are a few "recent" developments in American open wheel racing you should know about.

Champ Car World Series (CCWS) developments

CART went bankrupt back in 2003. Kevin Kalkhoven, Gerry Forsythe, and Paul Gentilozzi bought CART and it's now known as the Champ Car World Series (CCWS). The new management is actually running the CCWS as a business.

In 2 years, they've brought Champ Car back to life.

CCWS is now a spec-series. Every driver now runs a Lola chassis, and a Ford-Cosworth V8 engine (with a spec ECU, and 60 seconds of "Push 2 Pass" power for overtaking). Traction control is still banned. Champ Car still races on ovals, temporary street courses, and permanent road courses. It's still the ultimate test for a open wheel driver.

Champ Car's new management listens to its fans. They let us get access to the paddock (so you can get up close to the drivers and teams). They listened to the fans and drivers, and got Panoz to design a car that will generate less dirty air which would enable drivers to race closer and pass. The new Panoz DP01 can also run on ovals which means they haven't forgotten how important ovals are to the series and its fans.

Attendence has gone up for many of the races, and this year's new races (at Edmonton and San Jose had excellent attendence numbers). 6 out of 13 races (Long Beach, Milwaukee, Portland, Cleveland, Toronto, Montreal) also got network coverage on NBC and CBS. Champ Car will hold 15 races next year (new events in Houston, TX and Ansan, South Korea).

And here's the great news for younger American open wheel drivers... Next year, the Champ Car Atlantic Series (CCAS) (CCWS' ladder series) will offer $2 million dollars to the CCAS champion. $2 million dollars will definitely help a CCAS driver land a ride in CCWS. The CCAS also will be running a new chassis Swift 016.a chassis (powered by a new Cosworth engine) next year.

As for current American drivers in Champ Car. Keep your eye on A.J. Allmendinger. He usually finishes near the top and could've won a few races this year. The guy can race and he will most likely be Champ Car's next American star.

Now I admit I'm upset that Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio, Road America, and many ovals are no longer on the schedule, but it's simply not profitable to race at those tracks now. Maybe Champ Car will return when our popularity and sponsors return. Things aren't perfect, but Champ Car's new management have brought Champ Car back from the brink of death.

IRL developments

The IRL has become CART. Incompetent management. Less American drivers. Out of control costs. Only two teams (Andretti-Green and Penske) were actually competitive this season.

Unification talks were held earlier this year. Champ Car's management offers a 50:50 split in control of the new united series. The best open wheel drivers competing in a united American open wheel series that includes the Indy 500. Sounds great. Tony George demands 100% control of the united series. Great move Tony...

Finally, the IRL gets a marketable driver: Danica Patrick. And what do they do? She's the only thing the IRL promotes! They barely promote the racing or the other drivers. Now I like Danica, but the IRL just dropped the ball there putting everything on one rookie driver.

The IRL only has 14 races next year (down from 17 races this year). That's definitely not a sign of growth...

GM is withdrawing from the IRL this year. Toyota is withdrawing from the IRL next year. Honda will probably leave too because they want engine competition. Dallara and Panoz only have contracts until 2006. And Panoz cannot supply the IRL because Tony George has an idiotic rule that says an IRL chassis manufacturer cannot supply Champ Car. The IRL currently has no engine/chassis plan for 2007.

More and more drivers and teams are getting into Champ Car's ladder series (CCAS) instead of the IRL's ladder series (IPS). Rahal-Letterman will be running in the CCAS next season. Graham Rahal (Bobby Rahal's son) will be driving for Rahal-Lettermen in the CCAS. Graham Rahal also made it clear he would rather race in Champ Car than in the IRL. Mario Andretti also wants his grandson Marco Andretti to go to Champ Car. We'll see what Marco Andretti decides in the next few years.

Many IRL teams are seriously thinking about going to Champ Car, and just doing one-offs at Indy. Champ Car's sound business plan (and the fact that it's a spec series) is looking very attractive to the IRL drivers, teams, and sponsors.

Best case scenario for American open wheel racing:
Hopefully, most of the IRL teams will leave for Champ Car in 2007, and the IRL would be stuck with no engines and very few teams. Tony George would have no choice but to shut down the IRL, and let Champ Car race at Indy. If he doesn't pull the plug, then you can bet his family will because Tony George has wasted A LOT of money on the IRL. That is how this godforsaken split will hopefully end. Only then will the Indy 500 once again be known as "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing."

Y2K Gamer, not to sound pretentious but none of this is news to me. I'm very fully up on my Champ Car and IRL news, right up to Cedric the Entertainer purchasing shares of HVM Racing.

The one thing you mention that's truly relevant to my absolute hatred of both organizations is the Toyota Atlantics deal, which is a good idea for aspiring road racers.

However, Indy is not a road course, and aspiring Indy car drivers aren't on road courses. A Toyota Atlantic advancement program will do absolutely nothing for kids like Moe Lilje out of the Midwest Supermodified Association or Cameron Dodson in the Auto Value Super Sprints series, or Lee Boss in USAC Silver Crown.

CART is right (same ****, different bag as far as I'm concerned) about doing something to keep drivers in their ladder program. After losing drivers like Valiante and Patrick, they had to do something. However, what they did has no relevance to the classic Indy ladder system and will do nothing to stem the tide of American open wheel drivers ending up in NASCAR.

Cameron already has Evernham dollars behind him in his AVSS sprint. He's only a junior in high school and he'll be doing the ABC (ARCA, Busch Grand National, Cup) deal by next year.

This is a crying shame for a kid who can wheel a sprint car to an 11.7second lap at the Winchester 1/2mile.

y2kgamer
Best case scenario for American open wheel racing:
Hopefully, most of the IRL teams will leave for Champ Car in 2007, and the IRL would be stuck with no engines and very few teams. Tony George would have no choice but to shut down the IRL, and let Champ Car race at Indy. If he doesn't pull the plug, then you can bet his family will because Tony George has wasted A LOT of money on the IRL. That is how this godforsaken split will hopefully end. Only then will the Indy 500 once again be known as "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing."
TBH I really can’t see it ending any other way. Champ Car is really growing and producing what the fans want. IRL is not. I’ve always been a supporter of Champ Car rather than IRL.

As you said, in 2 years they’ve bought Champ Car back to life and it truely is the best open-wheel category in the US. I don’t know how IRL will bounce back from this – and it will be best for open-wheel racing in the US if they don’t.

Blake

Layla's Keeper
The one thing you mention that's truly relevant to my absolute hatred of both organizations is the Toyota Atlantics deal, which is a good idea for aspiring road racers.

However, Indy is not a road course, and aspiring Indy car drivers aren't on road courses. A Toyota Atlantic advancement program will do absolutely nothing for kids like Moe Lilje out of the Midwest Supermodified Association or Cameron Dodson in the Auto Value Super Sprints series, or Lee Boss in USAC Silver Crown.
True. Which is why I'd like to see Champ Car add a few ovals to their Champ Car Atlantic Series schedule.

But the cold hard fact is sprint car racing is now considered an excellent training ground for NASCAR. Transitioning from sprint cars to Champ Cars/Indy Cars is not as easy as it was in the past. Sprint cars have little in common with modern Champ Cars/Indy Cars. That's why many CCWS/IRL teams don't make sprint car drivers their first choice.

And NASCAR looks a lot more lucrative to sprint car drivers. 43-car fields. Lots of money and sponsors. They just have a better chance of making it big in NASCAR.

Sprints aren't considered a good NASCAR training ground either. What sprints do well is teach extreme car control and technical feedback.

Let me explain.

A sprint car is actually much like the previous generation of CART Champ Cars - overpowered, underweight, no aids. Most everyone starts on the same page chassis and engine wise, and so it comes down to driver skill and the driver's ability to give good feedback to optimize an easy setup to get wrong.

The game in NASCAR has gotten down to thousandths deciding pole position. Everyone wonders where Ryan Newman finds the pole? He's a sprinter ace with an engineering degree. He gives exceptional feedback and has exquisite car control.

CART is much the same. The cars are so raw that the best drivers are walking a tightrope (Alex Zanardi and Max Papis are particularly good examples of this) just like a sprint driver. In fact, Ford - back when they had him under contract - was desperately shopping to put Kasey Kahne into a CART seat (the boy is a helluva road racer, since he started in karts before going sprint racing) but a big check from Evernham/DaimleChrysler ended that attempt.

I think the best way to explain why sprint cars train good all around drivers, as opposed to specialists, is to look at the raw mechanics of the beast. 1600lb curb weight. 88 inch wheelbase. 800-900hp. Direct drive. Tube axle and torsion bar suspension. 2.5-3.0g's lateral grip in the corners. 20-30laps against 23 other drivers to get to the front, and only the front matters.

That'll make any driver ready to drive anything. Case in point - Mario Andretti.

with the smaller dimensons, its sounds promising(and at the same time,sounds like Panoz has found a skill for designing open wheel racecars)but you have to wonder who's going to step to that?

I thought that baby was a Formula 1 racer! That thing is hot!! Gotta love those carbon fibre sidewalls!:sly:

Back