Another 24 hour survivor.. Fun and Statistics..

• Thread starter Flerbizky
  • 15 comments

Flerbizky

Weltanschauung
Premium
Denmark
Whateversville
Flerbizky
Well - I accidentally started the Nurb 24 hour race on Thursday afternoon - and by accidentally, I do mean accidentally... Of course I had a list of things to do before starting a 24 race.
  • Check with the EO that she hadn't made any plans for the weekend, including visits from people with kids.
  • Move the PS2s powercord from the USB controlled outlet (All my accesories power off with the computer - I don't even know if it can handle a reboot as it is).
  • Hook up the extra 17" LCD to the second output on the videocard so I can watch/listen to some Top Gear episodes while driving. (See aznicerckts Tips and Trics from a survivor Thread in Race Reports)
  • Take my detailed A3 print of the Ring and tape it to the side of the monitor.
And there was a couple of others also that has slipped my mind ATM.

So - What does "Accidentally" actually mean - It means that I was looking for a suitable setup for a closer than aznicerckts race. I was looking for something a bit more challenging. So I fired up the old 190 Evo DTM as I'd originally planned on using. It should be good since it's way down on power compared to the newer DTM cars like the ABT Audi. Well - Guess not kind Sir - in it's unmodified form, I'd get 10 A-Spec points - Where's the fun in that ?...

So I'm trying out a slightly modded 190 Evo street version - Stage 3 LW, Stage 2 NA, cage, brakes, 1.5 way diff, race suspension. "Say What ?".. 72 A-Spec points ?... I'm up against a 470Bhp ABT Audi of the New School of DTM ?... My Evo produces a measly 367 in comparison... So I do a few laps to see how my Evo stacks up against the 470 of the ABT.. Please be aware - at this point, I'm fairly confident that I AM the Ringmaster. I've got this track down cold... or so I thought.. The Audi takes off as a dress on Prom Night and I'm strugling getting some heat into my R1s. At this point I'm mostly interested in seeing the ABTs pit strategy - and I didn't know mine either - So I push onwards, and after 4 laps, my R1s are shot and the ABT is still going. I'm loosing time here. That - and I've got NO control whatsoever of the Evo. Each time I try to pass one of the other 4, I get knocked clean off the track. Then suddenly, at lap 6, I can see that the gap diminishes just a little bit. Allllrighty then - He's the kind of driver who like to burn his tires all the way INTO the soft (but useless) core.. Good boy !...

All the while, I'm switching beetween R1s and R2s, and while R2s does make me almost equal to the ABT, they also wear out after 2.5 laps and I'm still trying to figure out how to do this. Then I try a set of R3s and ohhh boy. This transforms the Evo into a freight train - Rails Baby :mischievous: . They die after 2 laps though, but what 2 laps. I'm suddenly gaining on the ABT and, lo and behold, after 4 hours and 15 minutes. I'm in front.. Wuuhuuuu.. But I've managed to transform a 24 hour race into a 2 lap sprint. At this point, I'm neck to neck with the ABT on his 2,3,4 and 5 laps. On his lap 1 and 6 (especially 6) I'm dominating so much it isn't even funny... And now I'm so far into the race - about 6 hours, that it's too late to quit. So after 6 hours and 50 minutes thursday, I park my car on the straight and go to bed. At this point I'm ahead by 1 minute 20 IIRC... This was now a walk in the park, all I needed was the motivation for finishing the last 17 hours before monday ;)

So I get up friday, goes back to the PS2, finishes the straight, pits, goes out for my 2 lap sprint, takes it a little easy - I need to get back into the Evo before pulling some fast lap times. So on the second lap where I need to pit, I COMPLETELY overshot the braking point slams the wall and is more or less thrown into the start/finish area. Ohh well.. The R3s are doable on the third lap without too much effort. And there is still a long way home. Except for one thing. Fuel. Since I'm running 2 lap sprint, I'm not carrying more than 23 liters as the Evo uses just a shot below 9 pr. lap. So - of course, I run out of fuel just before Karoussel... Wu-*******-huuu... :grumpy: .. At this point I'm this >||< close to quitting, but decide to see just how much I'd be behind after my next pitstop. 2 minutes and 40 seconds as it turns out. The Nordschleife is pretty long at 80Km/h let me tell you...

But I know I'm faster, so I push on and well into the 11th hour, I finally regain my lead.. As it turns out. My previous statement of me being a Ring Master. Yearh well. Forget it.. My lap times are dropping ever soo slightly, but constantly. I was soo sure I knew the Ring - but I didn't. This constant lapping really makes a difference. When I started, I didn't care too much for the second half of the track. I'd never felt that it had the flow of the first half. Well - All this changed over the 24 hours. Turns transformed from being wobbly when entered at 125Km/h to being neutral gas 160Km/h 1-2-3 combinations. At some point in the race (saturday), when my lead was fairly high, I decided to set the quickest lap, so I pit, come out, and take the first lap very very slow so can preserve the tires for a full lap, including start/finish, in green, something I don't get on my 2 lap sprints... My R3s doesn't get green until I hit the straight, so now I have a full lap and I get a clean 7'07.400... I can live with that.. But to put things into perspective, on just HOW much you learn from constant lapping, this is later beaten on an outlap after around 21 hours... Exiting the pit is a good 2-2½ seconds... So the fastest lap in over 24 hours is 7'06.792 from which you can deduct 2-2½ second...

The rest is history as they say...

A little useless information :

• 193 laps completed equals 1793 liters of premium race fuel. An average of 2.52 kilometers pr. liter.
  • App. 83 pitstops equals 332 slicks used. Mostly R3s.
  • It's MANDATORY, not optional, to yell "Move yer van ya bloody wanker" when passing the Spoon S2000 !..
  • There is something wrong with "Bergwerk".. I don't think I got that one right in 193 laps :grumpy:
  • I now know which Rumble strips are good and which ones are out to kill you !..
  • I managed to pass cars, both inside and outside through "Adenauer Forst" with speeds in excess of 200Km/h.. Clean..
  • The optimal speed through "Quiddelbacher Höhe" is 211Km/h - It's the fastest you can go on R3s without understeering and thus scrubbing off speed..
  • Through "Tiergarten" there's a "hole" you need to dip into at the last corner, it'll let you out onto the straight a good 5Km/h faster without understeering !.
  • I truly believe the Gods of Old where angry when they concieved this "Colosseum of the Internal Combustion Engine". It's the modern version of throwing slaves for the lions - in the end, no one gets out alive..
  • "Hohe Acht" is the 1-2-3 combination I mentioned earlier that transformed ;)
  • There's PLENTY of room for improvement.. And I now know I'll never know this track - or make any claim to do so.. I have been humbled !...
  • And I estimate I've killed myself and the Evo at least 100 times.
  • Street cars don't cope well with prolonged exposure to high Gforces. The last 2 hours of the race the Evo displayed some very erratic behaviour. It started going downhill after app. 16 hours...
  • Though I was a lot faster in the end than in the beginning, it still felt a lot less frantic and I felt I drove with a larger margin for errors.
  • 18 liters will give you 2 laps - Just..
  • The Evo dropped to 345Bhp though the oil light never came on..
  • 4252kms in 24 hours and 2 point someting minutes gives an average of 177km/h..

All the above info on speed only relates to the 190 Evo. Other cars might be faster/slower depending on settings....

[Edit:] daily driving time :

Thursday - 6 hours and 50 minutes.
Friday - 7 hours and 25 minutes.
Saturday - 4 hours and 30 minutes. (+ a 320km drive in our real car....)
Sunday - 5 hours and 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Omg, didn't your PS2 like...blow?!

But damn it's a nice story. I think that I should do the 24 hour with exactly the same car, and set up:tup:!!

G-T-4-Fan
Omg, didn't your PS2 like...blow?!

But damn it's a nice story. I think that I should do the 24 hour with exactly the same car, and set up:tup:!!
Dude - Come on - This was 4 days ;) If you read aznicerckts thread, he took 4 weeks to complete it..

I was mostly worried about my PC - I'd never left an XP on for 4 days straight :scared:

And I'll be toying around with settings on the 190 to get the A-Spec points up - as it turned out, this was too easy...

G-T-4-Fan
Well.....:eek: I can tell you I didn't know that :drool::eek:!!!
I was only kidding, please pay no attention to my harsh words ;)

And I can tell you - just between us, though I've built my computer myself and am fairly confident in my skills - The last 2 hours all sorts of thoughts regarding Windows XP stability, power outtage etc. ran through my head like a hailstorm !....

XP isn't very stable system at all, lot's of errors, a wonder why you pay $250 for a out dated peice of ****, i hate microsoft down to my gut, i really do..... :grumpy: :banghead: 🤬 :mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 AT YOU STUPID BILLY GATES!!!!!

Master_Yoda
XP isn't very stable system at all, lot's of errors, a wonder why you pay $250 for a out dated peice of ****, i hate microsoft down to my gut, i really do..... :grumpy: :banghead: 🤬 :mad: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 AT YOU STUPID BILLY GATES!!!!!
Well.. It hed up nicely for 4 days + ;)

But we're straying from the subject here....

[Offtopic]An unstable Windows is almost always caused by the usage of software... Don't always blame them, it's the fault of the makers of those software and how the software will be used. I never had problems with my pc so far and I have this P4 3.0 GHz for over a year now.[/offtopic]

I've read the write up. I never use tuned (road) cars somewhere, but this was still a nice read. If I'm not busy as I am right now I will do the 3 24 hour races as well in 100% A-spec.

Sjenk
[Offtopic]An unstable Windows is almost always caused by the usage of software... Don't always blame them, it's the fault of the makers of those software and how the software will be used. I never had problems with my pc so far and I have this P4 3.0 GHz for over a year now.[/offtopic]

I've read the write up. I never use tuned (road) cars somewhere, but this was still a nice read. If I'm not busy as I am right now I will do the 3 24 hour races as well in 100% A-spec.
Thanks man.. It wasn't really intended as a Write Up / Race Report, but just a little useless info ;)

Anyway - I checked a little this evening.. Sticking with the same setup, but no NA tuning makes it a 200 A-Spec point race. Adding an NA stage 1 makes it an 16x A-Spec points..

BUT - I found that you can cheat on this.. When I started the race, for 72 A-Spec points, I was on R1s - and though I still used R3s for most of the the race, I still got 72 A-Spec points... So I tested a little further..

With NA Stage 1 on S3s, it's a 200 point race, but only 15x with R2s.. - So you start with S3s for a 200 point race, and then switch to R3s after round one - and STILL get 200 A-Spec points....

Can you change from Sports to racing? I thought that wasn't possible? :/ (or am I confusing this with the change from Normal to Sports?)

Sjenk
Can you change from Sports to racing? I thought that wasn't possible? :/ (or am I confusing this with the change from Normal to Sports?)
Actually - I haven't tried, it's late and I'm too lazy to do a full lap, but the is a pretty big diff in A-Spec points between starting the race on R1s and starting it on R3s, so I just assumed..

I'll check up on it tomorrow...

u cant change classes of tire...start on S's on race on S's for the 24hrs, lol..not fun

i have recently completed the Nurburgring 24hr in a-spec...using the woodone supram, i made it into the 5min zone :D......also completed 235laps....200+ kph average.....i kinda liked that.....still u have to be quite determined to do one of these races well done!

I'm going to do this again, hopefully soon, with the same car in a lesser state of tune...

Should be doable - even with my mediocre skills !...

Back