Hopes dashed in the city of lights

Hi this is my first race report.
GT World Championship in Professional Hall.

My Car: Black Nissan 92C

My Competition:Another Nissan 92C
Nissan 89 Race Car
Mazda 787B
Audi R8
Ford GT

I think a fairly moderate field. My skills are good but not great, I can run some very good laps and some very bad laps. So I need the help of my black bitc.h and some good tyre strategies. I haven't modded it except for an oil change and have about 905 horses.

Tokyo and Super Speedway were straight forward wins. I struggled at Hong Kong because I need more practice and greater concentration. Starting from pole I found myself 5th after stuffing up the tight downill left and stayed there for the race.

I love runnng at Seoul and it was another win. At El Capitan i was expecting to win but poor driving on cold tyres during the outlap led to frustration and further poor driving left me in fourth - I will win this race one day.
Dissappointing because my main points competition the Mazda 787 only finished third so a win would have been a handy points gain .

New York the Nissan loves it. I have found useful a tyre strategy mentioned in other posts. For example the other main threats are all going to pit once as am I.
I like to go out on Medium front and back - build up a comfortable lead with the extra grip and quicker warming of these tyres then backend the race with hards on the rear. The main opponents seem to run hards so this gives me some time to play with for driver errors and pushing too hard on the out lap.

Now to disaster in the city of lights Opera Paris reverse and a controller throwing episode - in previous attempts I have been spanked in this race and I knew the reason - poor driving. So i put in a lot of practice and figured out what i was doing wrong. My lap times improved out of sight and devised two tyre strategies.
From other threads it seems this is a two stop race for the main contenders.
I found the mediums on the back could last six laps with half the sixth being on red/orange but nursable and only a second or so slower than a normal lap.

I could do three stints in mediums or two with mediums for a very safe 5 laps each and a final 8 lap stint with hard tyre on the back.
The race started well, i built up a 7 sec lead on the other Nissan 92c after 3 laps.
Then i started not concentrating and back to 3secs before my pit on lap 6.
I had a poor out lap and the gap to first was extending, i passed the audi on track and mazda and Nissan 89 while they were in the pits, the 92c came out of his stop ahead but on cold tyres and i was able to pass so this strategy looked like winner and I was going to pretty happy winning on a tight technical street circuit for a change.
I put in some great laps on my second stint and was 6 or 7 secs ahead of the 92C.
On lap 12 i was coming near the pits and the slow Ford GT hove into view - I was perhaps too cautious in not passing him and then decided to pass to his left on the last right hand corner before the pit entry an dthen dart into the pits - there was some contact and unfortunatly for me the ford wanted to pit as well and he managed to shunt me into the wall and just pass the pit entry!!!
I had been ripped off by the AI and almost lost a controller that day.
I had two choices: a three point turn to get back into the pits or do another lap on extremely wasted tyres.
I decided to try to nurse it around for one more lap.
The 92C flashed past : the lap was torture fighting all the way and at much lower than normal speeds - i lost a stack of time.
I finished the race with a lot of mistake ridden laps - fuming. The time i had lost with the unplanned extra lap not only lost me the race but a couple of places to the less powerful cars that only pit once. A final fourth. A lot of practice and a good strategy went to waste. And the 787 won!!!
I should have been saving after each race.

I picked my self up for Suzuka and drove great laps and the medium then hard tyre strategy worked a treat for a win and a 787 third place.
And a save game this time.
So with two races to go I am on 58 points with a 7 point advantage over the 787.
Grand Valley reverse and Sarthe II to come are not my most promising tracks, but this is the best position i have been in so far in the championship which i have lost many times - this being my first attempt in my black bitc.h.
Really hoping to put at least 3 points into the 787 at Grand Valley to take an unbeatable lead heading back to France.

Still spewing over that Ford in Paris though.

Footnote: Happily, with some practice I learnt Grand Valley well enough to take out first place comfortably and the championship. Have since beeen back to Paris and won that with a one stop stategy on R2s with an increased ride height and softer springs. I have found that soft springs & extra height is a great setup for the technical street tracks, much easier to take the 90 degree turns. I came second at Hong Kong using this approach and will take victory with a bit more practice. So great to have the extreme hall open now.

run the el capintan enduro race and snag the Toyota Minolta.... while I can destroy the AI I also destroy tires..... so i usually let BSpec Bob handle things....

now I'm sitting pretty, heaps of cars, the last enduro race is running (put it off), then there will be no more event races only a few single makes, driving missions, and 2 special condition races....

hope you do better.... (slap a turbo on that thing....)

So far it's a nice report, although I have some problems reading it. I guess English is not your first language, so you can't do much about that ;) But if you do have English as your 1st language, I'd suggest to make it more easy to read (that's why I always love to read Old Geezer's race reports and why I 'copy' his style just to make it an easy read for everyone who want to read it).

If you manage to win this you should try a more difficult car (and if you practice enough you might do it in the CLK-GTR or the McLaren F1).
I don't want to be insulting, but I would ignore Forge's suggestions. Not only is using the Minolta 'boring' (too much people do that), but adding turbo's can also ruin the fun in the GTWC.

Sjenk
If you manage to win this you should try a more difficult car (and if you practice enough you might do it in the CLK-GTR or the McLaren F1).
I don't want to be insulting, but I would ignore Forge's suggestions. Not only is using the Minolta 'boring' (too much people do that), but adding turbo's can also ruin the fun in the GTWC.

Yes I would like to go back and try with a more difficult car now, as my driving improves.
And i agree the Minolta with a turbo is overkill.

"Are you a lucky little lady in the city of lights, or just another lost angel, city at night..."

Better luck next time, it was a fun read though. Good luck! 👍

Back