"Road Car" vs Group "C" Ver. 1.0

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 23 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
at
Professional Hall Gran Turismo World Championship

I've already done this deal three times, firstly with a Stock Minolta Toyota VERY early in the game & then with two different JGTC Rides. I wanted DEARLY to give it a shot in a DTM Car but found none capable. :irked: Good Buddy Kent suggested I try it in a "Road Car" but NOT the one I was thinking of. SO...I'm running it in Kent's suggested ride first & then in mine...the identities of which will be revealed later. (I'm now thinking "Maybe" another Road Car is capable!) :confused:

I drew a first class "AI" field right away, which included:

TOYOTA 88C-V Race Car (MINOLTA) '89
NISSAN R92CP Race Car '92
NISSAN R89C Race Car '89
MERCEDES-BENZ AMG CLK-GTR Race Car '98
GILLET Vertigo Race Car

Finish = Place / Race Time - Fast Lap. MOV = Margin of Victory (Where applicable!)

Race #1 Tokyo Rte 246 (65 Points)
Qualified: 1st / 1'22.975
Finish: 1st / 14'4x.xxx:dunce: - 1'22.732 (Lap #9)
M.O.V. 4.584 Seconds 👍

I was a bit surprised at the "Puny" A-Spec points offered as the last time I ran this series with the XANAVI HIROTO Skyline (JGTC) '01 the races were 119+ each! :eek: Maybe this wouldn't be such a challenge after all! :( With my usual ability NOT to get a good standing start I was 3rd into the first corner :irked: but back into first shortly thereafter. Then on Lap #4 I went into a long slide just before T-2 leaving my nose up against the guardrail! :( By the time I recovered I'd fallen to 2nd! :mischievous: Managed to slip by the NISSAN R92 by the Start/Finish Line & then Pitted at the end of Lap #5. Came back out in 5th & was up to third by the end of Lap #9 when the NISSAN siblings finally pitted & I swept past them.
25,000 Credits received & I have an early 4 point lead.

Race #2 Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway (65 Points)
Qualified: DIdn't
Finish: 6th
M.O. "Loss" a "Bunch" 👎

Since I hadn't done well here in the past in JGTC Rides I decided to "Opt Out" this time. Since the NISSAN R92 looked to be my main competition & the MINOLTA Toyota was leading the pack...I waited 'till I crossed the line & "Exited" hoping I'd deny the R92 points he might need later.
NO A-Spec points & NO Credits. I'm now tied for second, 4 points behind the R92.

Race #3 Hong Kong (65 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'11.414
Finish 1st / 21'37.512 - 1'09.878 (Lap #16)
M.O.V. 27.xxx Seconds 👍

I wasn't surprised that I managed to win this one as it was the only Venue I "Pre-Tested." HK has become something of a "Benchmark" for me running this series. I figure if I can best them here I can win the series! 👍 Same strategy I used in the past worked well & I really put hurt on 'em! 👍
25,000 Credits received & tied for First w/the Minolta at 20 Points each.

Race #4 Seoul Central (65 Points)
Qualified 1st / 0'50.936
Finish 1st / 16'12.281 - 0'48.611 (Lap #19)
M.O.V. 27.xxx Seconds 👍

Absolutely "Smoked 'Em" from the rolling start but the "AI" still don't seem to like this venue! Too Bad 'cause I do! 👍
25,000 Credits received & I move ahead of the Minolta at 30 points to 26.

Race #5 El Capitan (65 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'30.178
Finish 1st / 17'10.730 - 1'28.804 (Lap #8)
M.O.V. 18.xxx Seconds 👍

Got a bad "Standing" start & dropped to third immediately but back in first by the Big "Horseshoe" left on Lap #1. :) In for tyres at the end of Lap #6 & rejoined the fray in 4th. Regained the lead by the end of Lap #9 & then Lapped the Vertigo shortly thereafter. No "Dramatics" this time but have noticed a bit of "Power Off Oversteer" & don't really know why. Except for the incident at Tokyo it's handled quite well up to now! :scared:
25,000 Credits received & I'm of the Minolta at 40 points to 29.

Race #6 New York (79 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'23.907
Finish 1st / 21'04.704 - 1'21.996 (Lap #4)
M.O.V. 27.xxx Seconds 👍 (Seem to be getting in a "Rut" here! :eek: )

Fairly uneventful except that I neglected to change the OIL :banghead: so HP went down but A-Spec points went UP! As noted before, the "AI" doesn't do well here either. Huge "MOV" reflects this.
25,000 Credits received & I'm of the Minolta at 50 points to 35.

Race #7 Opera Paris [Reverse] (65 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'15.142
Finish 1st / 23'13.305 - 1'14.604 (Lap #17)
M.O.V. 3.332 Second :eek: 👍

WOW!!! FINALLY a Great Race! 👍 Since I'm doing a "Cut-N-Paste" from when I ran the Series Points: Xanavi here I actually took the time to read the report from this venue BEFORE I deleted it! Seems I'm already running the "Hard" Tyres on the rear (R-2s) so in anticipation of possibly burning them up I changed my stategy. Qualified "Normally" but then added 50% MORE "TCS" for the race. Also decided to "short-shift" about 500-750 RPM BEFORE Red Line in an attempt to minimize rear wheel spin. This thing pulls like a tractor (& Sounds like one as well! :) ) so it shouldn't present a problem. Ran the first eight Laps a LOT more conservatively then normal & the tyres were glowing my favorite shade of Yellow! 👍 On more lap & they just started to turn as I slid into the pits. Came out in 4th But slipped back into the lead as the "Trio Terrific" all pitted at the end of Lap #10. By about Lap #15 the lead was out to nearly 9 seconds so I decided to let 'er rip. Caught a GOOD Lap on #16 GREAT Lap on #17 to set my fastest time but overcooked the tyres a little. Eased it around the final circuit to a fairly narrow WIN!
25,000 Credits received & THANX to the R89 finally making a move I'm ahead of the Minolta at 60 points to 39.

Race #8 Suzuka (65 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'46.882
Finish 1st / 16'29.537 - 1'43.765 (Lap #4)
M.O.V. 10.987 Seconds 👍

The car felt VERY loose in qualifying so I made a minor chassis adjustment which helped a little. Mostly what helped however was NOT letting off the gas as much & using a bit more brake...attempting to keep the chassis "Loaded" Great when it worked but a little scary when it didn't! :scared: Yet another poor "Standing Start" resulted in a 3rd place into Turn #1 :irked: but back in first before T-1. Into the pits at the end of Lap #5 & out in 4th place as usual. Back in the lead by the beginning of Lap #8...then almost looped it in "Spoon Curve", gathered a little "Kitty Litter" & lost about 7 seconds. Never really a challenge as the "AI" never does well here. :mischievous: Would have beaten my Xanavi 83 time if NOT for the near spin! :irked:
25,000 Credits received & I lead the Minolta at 70 points to 45.

Race #9 Grand Valley [Reverse] (95 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'39.914
Finish 1st / 18'36.247 - 1'36.918 (Lap #11)
M.O.V. 14.xxx Seconds 👍

Much like the last time I ran here I decided to add a little "Ballast", (still don't know if they're kgs or #s) :irked: but opted for 100 units, evenly distributed & set off to qualify. Added 30 A-Spec points so perhaps I'll find another close race.
Just like last time here, the standing start put me in 3rd into Turn #1 :irked: but I was back in first by T-2. Into the pits at the end of Lap 6 & back out in 4th as usual. Hoped I'd find a "Race" but slipped past them at the start of Lap #9 & stretched a 7+ second lead out to over 14 at the end. :grumpy:
25,000 Credits received & I stretch my lead over the Minolta to 80 points to 49.

Race #10 Circuit de le Sarthe I (95 Points)
Qualified 1st / Didn't
Finish 1st / 13'45.782 - 3'23.018(Lap #3)
M.O.V. 6+ Seconds 👍

I decided to leave ALL the Ballast "IN" this time unlike I did with the XANAVI HIROTO Skyline (JGTC) '01 & passed on qualifying as well since it's 1/2 as many laps as the race itself. :eek:
With the Rolling Start all went well & I was VERY happy to be in second behind the big Toyota by the end of Lap #1. He was out front about 7 seconds at one point but I was relatively confident his tyres would go away. Sure enough I closed the gap to 3.5 seconds just before he pitted in at the end of Lap #3 & I took over the lead for the final Lap. I was VERY surprised when the final results flashed up showing the Big Toyota had worked his way back up to second in only ONE Lap!!! Think I'm lucky it's NOT a Five Lapper! :lol:
25,000 more Credits received

FINAL RESULTS:
NISSAN R390 GT1 Road Car // 90 Points
TOYOTA 88C-V Race Car (MINOLTA) '89 // 55 Points
NISSAN R92CP Race Car '92 // 46 Points
NISSAN R89C Race Car '89 // 36 Points
MERCEDES-BENZ AMG CLK-GTR Race Car '98 // 21 Points
GILLET Vertigo Race Car // 10 Points

"Prize" Car: FORD GT LM Edition Spec-II '04 immediately sold for 212,499 Credits added to 475,000 odd Prize Credits in the Bank...PLUS 659 A-Spec Points for those of you who count them!

Final Mileage (+2 Laps @ Most venues for warm up & qualifying) 342 Miles.

As always...THANX for wading thru this & hope it will help someone out. Let me know if you spot a mistake, I'm VERY adept at using the EDIT Function! :lol: ...O.G.
old.gif

Last edited:
Old Geezer
at
Professional Hall Gran Turismo World Championship

I'm Six Races into the Series with a 50-35 Point lead ATM. Just something to whet your appetites 'till I finish the races & get the report written! :D ...O.G.
old.gif

Taking the Nissan for a run, are ya? :lol:

Well, whatever your are in, you sure do seem to be absolutely creaming the competition. Great writeup and Good luck O.G.! 👍

@ Ving: Weren't the "Tractor Hints" enough to let you know I'm running your favorite FIAT!!! (Yeh, RIGHT!)

Final two races posted...now I'm off to try Ver.1.1...O.G.
old.gif

What the...? May I ask you something: Did every driver went to the pits on La Sarthe? (I ask this because in my CLK-GTR attempt the Gillet finished 2nd, because he didn't went to the pits)

I'm really curious which car you used :) Can't you give some more hints? :P Is it a real car or a concept car? :)

Oh yeah, before I forget: Again a very nice race report :)

X-Othermic
Wow... i wish i was good enough to win with a worse car than the MINOLTA. Great win though!!!
THANX X-Othermic 👍 But if I can do it with MY aged & decrepit reflexes...ANYONE can! All it takes is PRACTICE!!!
Sjenk
What the...? May I ask you something: Did every driver went to the pits on La Sarthe? (I ask this because in my CLK-GTR attempt the Gillet finished 2nd, because he didn't went to the pits)!
THANX to you as well Sjenk! 👍 In this "AI" Lineup ONLY the MINOLTA Toyota pits in to the best of my recollection. :D Starting to test for Ver. 1.1 right NOW!!!...O.G.
old.gif

he did tell us.......very nice old geezer. preety much any compatable/eligable car can win this. heck, i bet that a ford GT race car LM can win or even a tuned golf like the report i did on under the thread Test Drives

Hmmm, pulls like a tractor, and sounds like one too?

Can't be the SLR McLaren then, that sounds like a Dyson! ;)
Saleen S7? Oh, no. The only thing that has in common with a tractor is the fact that it handles like a John Deere! :P
Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3? Maybe, but I know Bob usually likes his homegrown rides too much to pick a European. :confused:
TVR Cerbera Speed 12? Maybe, lots of TCS required to control this and it can out-torque most tractors! See above for European comments though :boggled:

So I'm going to have to guess at one of the demonically torquey Vipers, a Ford GT in one guise or another, or maybe even a Z06 Vette, all of which could probably be setup with enough HP to have a fair crack at some of this opposition.

The suspense is killing us O.G.! Hurry up and finish v1.1 so we can find out!

:cheers:

Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car
Amuse S2000 GT1
Tommy Kaira ZZII
Jaguar XJ220
Amuse CarbonR (R34)

With R tyres and full mods, these should be able to give it a good crack.
Bob are you using a "Wing"?

Small_Fryz
Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car
Amuse S2000 GT1
Tommy Kaira ZZII
Jaguar XJ220
Amuse CarbonR (R34)

With R tyres and full mods, these should be able to give it a good crack.
Bob are you using a "Wing"?

I'm pretty sure I was right from the start. I think its the GT1 Road Car, mostly from the title "Road Car".

Hi Guys! Regrettably, there may be NO Ver. 1.1 :indiff: "MY" choice of ride turned out to be a real Turkey :irked: although lighter & more powerful then the car I actually used! I've "auditioned" several other rides & none have been found suitable, although there's at least one more I'd like to give a shot before revealing the identity of the one I used.

@
frenchfries.gif
: YES I used a wing although I'm not certain it was neccessary. I put 100KG back in (YES I finally established it's "KG" you add...NOT Pounds!) & was still more than competitive...so at minimum weight it might still be possible to win the series sans wing! 👍 I'll pursue that soon as well!

THANX to Smallhorses, Famine &
frenchfries.gif
for the suggestions...only three of which I've tried! :eek: THANX too for all the interest...I did NOT mean for this to be a long term mystery as I thought for sure the ride I picked breeze right thru it a second time! :guilty: ...O.G.
old.gif

Ebiggs
I'm pretty sure I was right from the start. I think its the GT1 Road Car, mostly from the title "Road Car".
Too bad PD chose NOT to let us have the GT 1 Road Car like they did in GT3!:mischievous:...O.G.
old.gif

Hate to go all technical on you here O.G., but the GT1 Road Car is in GT4. The Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car. :sly:

What you're thinking of is the Toyota GT-One Road Car, which isn't in GT4. ;)

Meh, spell it, number it, they're both said the same way, who cares?!!!

Boy am I a :dunce::dunce::dunce:!!! THANX to Smallhorses 👍 for the correction & my apologies to Ebiggs!!! :indiff: I was totally unaware of the "GT1" designation for the "Mystery Car" which was as Ebiggs correctly surmised early on, the NISSAN R390 GT1 Road Car!

The car I "Assumed" would easily dominate the series was the Tommy Kaira ZZII which unfortunately has been completely neutered by PD this time around! :irked: One of my ALL TIME FAVORITES from GT3 that I'll most likely NEVER drive again in GT4...what a waste! :guilty: Even though it has MORE HP...913/868 & LESS Weight...1000kg/1038-1138kg it handles like a PIG compared to the Nissan!!!

Oh well, I can't seem to find another "Road Car" that can "Cut the Mustard", so I'll edit the data into Post #1...O.G.
old.gif

Ah I was thinking about that car as well (2nd car in mind, I also had the NSX LM Road car in mind).

Did you test that NSX LM Road car in tuned version? Or even better: Which cars did you test so far that didn't pass the test?

Old Geezer
The car I "Assumed" would easily dominate the series was the Tommy Kaira ZZII which unfortunately has been completely neutered by PD this time around! :irked: One of my ALL TIME FAVORITES from GT3 that I'll most likely NEVER drive again in GT4...what a waste! :guilty: Even though it has MORE HP...913/868 & LESS Weight...1000kg/1038-1138kg it handles like a PIG compared to the Nissan!!!
Did you try the ZZ-II with a spoiler? What about the Cadillac Cien or Callaway C12? Maybe a TVR Cerbera Speed 12? Or a Ford GT? Jaguar XJ220 (probably too heavy)? Lotus Motorsport Elise or Esprit Sport 350? Dodge Viper GTS-R Concept? Volkswagon W12 Nardo...

Back