f t O @ t o k y O

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 5 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
f t O @ t o k y O

As part of my continuing effort to win as many Series/Enduros with the Prize Car from those races, as detailed HERE, I finally got around to attempting the Tokyo R246 300kms in a MITSUBISHI FTO Super Touring Car '97. To be truthful...I didn't think it had much of a chance as the line-up PD has for this race is pretty stout. In addition they drive QUITE WELL here compared to other venues so you can't hope they'll go "Off Track" or get "Stuck" somewhere. I ran a 20+ Lap "Test" & determined the race would be too close to call so I'd need to run the entire 60 Laps. NO Problem as I've loved this race since GT3 & need NO excuse to run it again & again. Since NONE of the "AI" had pitted thru the duration of my test I consulted Smallhorses' excellent guide found HERE once again & determined they'd "Hopefully" all stop at least twice...a couple of them VERY close to the end of the race. :eek: I switched to R-1 Front Tyres as the R-2s promised quicker times but TWO More Pit Stops, :irked: took the Auto Set down ONE notch & hit the button. Pleasantly surprised to see 73 A-Spec Points flash up on the screen! :)

The START:
WOW!!!
Was I surprised when unlike most races with a "Standing Start" I was actually near the leaders by Turn #1 👍 Must be the AWD as I get rotten starts with everything else! :indiff: Chased the Au Cerumo Supra for a bit but got past him before T-2 & gradually drew away. Ran my best time of the entire Race @ 1'39.616 on Lap #10. Expected to see lots of "39s" but as it turned out most laps were in the "40s" to low "41s".

15 Laps:
Into the pits with Orange front tyres while the rears are still Green :irked: Maybe I should have tried R-3s on the back! :confused: 25+ seconds ahead of the NISSAN Motul who's replaced the OPAL Astra who replaced the Au Cerumo Supra in second early on. New Tyres & a partial refuel and I rejoin the fray 9+ seconds behind the NISSAN but within sight of the OPAL. Still it takes me most of three laps to get around him as my Blue Tyres won't let me use the line I want! :mischievous: On the 28th Lap the NISSAN pits in just as expected & I cruise past but know I'll be doing the same in 2 more laps! :scared: MUCH to my Amazement :eek: I put some serious distance between myself & the NISSAN! 👍 He must NOT like his new tyres as mine are used up & costing me valuable time!

30 Laps:
Into the pits again BUT with a 41+ second lead this time! 👍 Partial fill up & new tyres again and out I go 8+ seconds ahead. Now the NISSAN starts to chip away at my lead a little as his tyres are two laps warmer than mine. NOT a lot but 0.3 to 0.4 per circuit. Mine finally get into the Green Zone & I regain the lost time at the rate of 2-3 second PER LAP!!! What's he doin' back there? That only lasts for a few & then we stabalize between 20 to 22 second for the interval.

45 Laps:
Into the pits for the final time, maintaining a 22+ second advantage. Take on the absolute minimum fuel load I think I'll need to run the final 15, new tyres & head back out. This time it's the NISSAN who slips by & I find myself in 2nd once more 12+ seconds back. :guilty: Now the NISSAN's tyres are in their prime & before mine can warm he's out front by 17+ seconds!!! :eek: I sure hope Smallhorses' prediction comes true! :scared: Sure enough the NISSAN dives in at the end of Lap #56 & I get past right before the Start/Finish line.

The FINISH:
He must have had the same problem on Blue tyres as my lead grew from 26+ second by the end of Lap #57 to over 35 seconds at the end. HP dropped from 451 to 430 which was at least somewhat responsible for slower laps times towards the end. Total Race Time: 1:42'47.346.
With the right mindset I'll probably use my brand new MITSUBISHI FTO Super Touring Car '97 "Sans" Oil Change to attempt this one again. Perhaps I'll find a closer race & another 200,000 Credits! 👍...O.G.
old.gif

Yeah indeed, I loved the story like usual :) This is perfect to see which cars can beat the endurance races. It really helps me to decide which to use :)

Old Geezer, I may have a suggestion for you for a nice endurance race (when you're done with your current project): Driving the Infinion endurance race in the Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II. I had to do that in the ESES series and I was able to beat them with something like 45 seconds (after 2 hours, the ESES race was 2 hours)

Back