Yet Another Go at the GT World Championship

• Thread starter torque998
  • 9 comments
Shortly after my most recent test of the Toyota 7, I became convinced that the stock Toyota CAN win the GT World Championship with a regular Group C field. So I got in the 7 with nothing but Racing Medium tires, and headed back to the GT World Championship, this time looking for a stronger field.

THE LINEUP
1. Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89
2. Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04
3. Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
4. Toyota GT-ONE Race Car '99 (TS020)
5. Nissan R390 GT-1 Race Car '98
6. Toyota 7 Race Car '70

RACE 1: Tokyo R246: 89 pts
Qualified: 1st
Finished: 1st
Margin of Victory: 0:02.065

My usual standing start put me behind the Sauber C9 and R92CP right away. The R92CP would be passed on the second corner, but he eventually passed me on lap 4 and left me in third. However, pitting strategy would give me the race. As the R92CP and Sauber C9 pitted on lap 9, I flew right by them. But, my worries weren't over yet: the GT-ONE came out of nowhere and passed me on the back chute. The final lap was almost my downfall, but I passed the GT-ONE back on the final turn and sped down the front stretch for the victory.

RACE 2: Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway: 89 pts
Qualified: 5th
Finished: 4th
Margin of Loss: 1 lap

I knew from the beginning that a podium finish was not very likely here. So I did this race just to pick up some points. There wasn't much that happened at this race. I was in 5th until the R390 pitted on lap 18, moving me up to 4th and giving me some much needed points.

Race 3: Hong Kong: 89 pts
Finished: 3rd
Margin of Loss: 0:19.567

This was one of the most frustrating races I have run so far. The C9 and R92CP often punted me into the wall and drove into the sunset. After that, I never saw them again. argh!:mad:

Race 4: Seoul Central Reverse: 101 pts
Margin of Victory: 0.34.447

Once again the Toyota 7's great tire wear manged to keep me out of the pits and in the lead for the entire race. No one even came close to touching me once the Sauber and Nissan pitted on lap 16. The victory here put me in the lead by 2 pts.

Race 5: El Capitan: 89 pts
Margin of Victory: 0.07.678

El Capitan, one of my best tracks. This was no doubt an ace oportunity to pick up some points. The race was somewhat messy; on the first lap I spun into the gravel at the hairpin after the tunnel, before the narrow bridge, and on my pit stop lap, I hit the barrier at the entrance hard. Despite those errors, I was still able to come out on top and get a decent lead on the series

STANDINGS AFTER HALFWAY:
1.Toyota 7 Race Car '70: 37 pts
2. Nissan R92CP Race Car '92: 29 pts
3. Toyota GT-ONE Race Car '99 (TS020): 25 pts
4. Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89: 24 pts
5. Nissan R390 GT-1 Race Car '98: 10 pts
6. Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04: 5 pts

Race 6: New York: 89 pts
Margin of Victory: 0:03.925

Another one of my best tracks and another oportunity for some more points. This was the most exciting race of the series so far. From the green to the checkered, the C9 and R92CP were on my tail the whole time. Once again, though, my pitting strategy gave me the win. With the R92CP on my tail, I decided to duck into the pits on lap 8 for my stop. Both the C9, R92CP, and GT-ONE sped right by me. The next lap, however, the R92CP went into the pits for his stop, the C9 the lap after, and the GT-ONE on lap 13. I passed both Group C guys while they were in the pits and the GT-ONE on the 7th Avenue stretch on lap 12. After that, I rode into the sunset, but not before the C9 and R29CP mounted a final stand.

Race 7: Opera Paris Reverse: 89 pts
Finished: 3rd
Margin of Loss: 0:35.655

Knowing that this race would be a lot like Hong Kong, I predicted that I would end up finishing 3rd or below. I decided to just do this race for points. A third place finish would keep me in the lead by 6 points. This was easily shaping up into the closest championship of my life.

Race 8: Suzuka Circuit: 90 pts
Finished: 2nd
Margin of Loss: 0:10.328

Another race that I knew would not be winnable. Right from the start, the C9 sped right in front of me and left me in the dust. I passed him after spoon curve on lap 2, but shortly after the first hairpin, he shot back in front of me. The R29CP made a lot of mistakes and because of that, I was able to take second place.

Race 9: Grand Valley Speedway Reverse: 89 pts
Finished: 2nd
Margin of Loss: 0:03.443

This was one of the closest races of the series. Right from the start, the R92CP launched right in front of me, but lost his lead at the chicane before the first tunnel. He would later gain it back on lap 6, right before I headed to the pits. When I got out, I was over 30 seconds behind the R92CP, however ,after he pitted on lap 8, I was able to pass the Sauber C9 and close the R92CP's lead to three seconds. My last stand would come up short and I ended up in second, giving me a 3 point lead going into the final race.

Race 10: Circuit de la Sarthe I: 89 pts
Margin of Victory: 0:05.568

This was it, the final showdown of the series on the Group C cars' home turf. My objective was simple: beat the R92CP. Needless to say, it would not be an easy objective. A rolling start from the pole put me in 1st by 3 seconds down the Hunduries straight. However, lack of downforce hurt me in the chicanes and in the porche curves, where the Sauber C9 and R92CP were able to slip by me and put me in third. The second lap saw me pass the C9 and R92CP on the Hunduries, but they were able to reel me in at Indianapolis and Arnage and were able to put me behind them at the Porche Curves. The third lap was nothing special and it seemed like my hopes for the championship had been squashed.:( It continued to look that way for the beginning of lap 4. Suddnely, after I rounded Muslanne corner, the R92CP came into view. I had a legit shot at passing him. I chased the R92CP down to Indy and Arnage to see him somking his rear tires. Despite that, he was still able to put some distance on me through the Porche curves. It finally came down to the chicanes. Last lap, last turns, last chance. Going in, suddnely, the R92CP spun out into the gravel, allowing me to slip by for the win. Needless, to say, this was the most spectacular race of the most spectacular championship of my GT4 life.

FINAL RESULTS
1. Toyota 7 Race Car '70: 73 pts
2. Nissan R92CP Race Car '92: 65 pts
3. Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89: 52 pts
4. Toyota GT-ONE Race Car '99 (TS020): 40 pts
5. Nissan R390 GT-1 Race Car '98: 20 pts
6. Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04: 10 pts

Prize: Ford GT LM Spec II '04

Conclusion:
Well, there you have it. My previous test thoughts were correct. The Toyota 7 CAN AM car CAN win the GT World Championship with a Group C in the field, with nothing but Racing Medium tires. If you have a Toyota 7 in your garage, I highly recommend you try this series for yourself. BTW, comments would be appreciated.

BigRoach
what do you mean, " a weaker field"?
Also, were you running race-super hards?

I mean a field without any group C cars, since they'd trample right over the Toyota 7. As for tires, I'm running R3's all around (racing mediums).

EDIT: I'm starting this report over again, since after this test, I'm convinced that the Toyota 7 CAN win the series with a regular field.

Yeah, I did a test run in the past as well and it's not that hard to win the GTWC with the Toyota 7 (easier than with the CLK-GTR, which can be done as well with ease)

da carkid
thanks for the info can any of you recommend a car to beat the super car race so i can race the gt championship and what car did you win

For the Super Car festival, there's one car that I highly recommend, if you happen to have it: The Honda NSX-R LM Road Car. You win it from the Motegi 8hr Endurance If you haven't gotten to the endurances yet, and if you have the cash, try a Saleen S7, since you'll also need it for the S7 manufacturers event.

Circuit de la Sarthe -I need to know how many points this race is if its 7 pts. I can now only tie for first, second, and third place. If its 8 pts. I can win it all by 1 pt. if I come in first. Any other pointers on this race would also be apprieciated.:crazy:

I have a black Toyota one- got it from that special week with the 4 black cars I think its the fastest one. Id like to get a toyota 7 but not sure how.:guilty:

I also pulled a quarter mile time of like 8.7 something (sorry can't check exactly what it is because I'm in the race still) with an Escudo maxed out just wondering if anyone has a faster quarter mile time. A top speed of 305? anyone have something faster?:sly:

Circuit de la Sarthe -I need to know how many points this race is if its 7 pts. I can now only tie for first, second, and third place. If its 8 pts. I can win it all by 1 pt. if I come in first. Any other pointers on this race would also be apprieciated.:crazy:

I have a black Toyota one- got it from that special week with the 4 black cars I think its the fastest one. Id like to get a toyota 7 but not sure how.:guilty:

I also pulled a quarter mile time of like 8.7 something (sorry can't check exactly what it is because I'm in the race still) with an Escudo maxed out just wondering if anyone has a faster quarter mile time. A top speed of 305? anyone have something faster?:sly:

Help me out here...

How is this post a "Race Report"?
How is it relevant to the thread?
Why is it deserving of a near-2-year resurrection for this post?
What do you mean by "how many points" is the La Sarthe race at (presumably) GTWC? They're all 10 for a win, 6 for second, 4 for 3rd, 3 for 4th, 2 for 5th and 1 for 6th. Unless you mean "A-Spec points", which are variable depending on your car and your competitors' cars.

And, last but not least, The 300mph club.

Hey, i need help with the gt4 world champ race in professional events. No matter what i try for a car i can not beat it. I NEED HELP. i hear the toyota 7 is a good car but is there any good ones that i can win? although i am filthy rich and i can aford to buy a good car too. Im using the Nissan R390 and i still get my bumper kicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so please help me

Reach 50% completion and that will net you a Jaguar race car, worth about 975 horsepower. It bites really well. Currently I'm using that car in the GTWC (my first time running in that series race).

Back