So I took a trip to El Capitan

• Thread starter <_Spike_>
  • 11 comments
I decided that it was about time I got on my un-lazy butt and drove an endurance race myself. "Sorry B-Spec Bobbeh, but you're out of this one" says I, I looked through my 700 cars to find a decent model to pick, I knew that anything too fast would be boring and anything to slow would leave me picking up the trash after the race. So I settled onto my Jaguar XKR-R Performance, still completely stock and at a little under 420BHP I decided this was the one for me. Equipped with Sports Medium tyres (something I would later live to almost regret) I jumped straight into the race, only settings I fiddled with were the ASM and TCS, turning both off.

So here's how it went, the line up was as follows -

1st - TVR Cerbera Speed Six
2nd - Dodge Viper SRT/10
3rd - Callaway C12
4th - Shelby Series 1
5th - Mercedes SL 65 AMG
6th - Jaguar XKR-R Performance

A pretty tough field over-all, so the countdown began...3....2....1....START! And I did, hit the throttle a little too hard and had to take 3 seconds to just settle the car down, losing a bit of time already. By the first left hander I was right up behind the now 5th place Shelby, jinking down the inside I charged past him, shortly followed by taking 5th from the Merc. I dived up the inside of the C12 at corner 5 before making my charge on the Viper and Speed Six, whom were pulling away and opening a 7 second gap. The Jag seemed a little skittish on cold tires but that soon passed, and by the end of an uneventful 2nd two sectors on lap 1, I was right behind the TVR.

As I struggled to get past what seemed the widest TVR ever, the Viper was making a break for it, but not for long as I broke free of the TVR and chased him down. I took roughly 7 tenths to a second out of him over the next 3 laps, taking his 5 second gap down to just 2 tenths as we began lap 6. I showed my love of the over-taking opportunities at Turn 2, the left hander, once more as I drifted slightly around the outside and shot ahead as my cars rear tires regained grip and snapped back into a straight line. I was finally in first and off I went, building the lead to 12 seconds. This is where the mistake of not selecting Hard sports tires kicked in, by the end of lap 8 my rear tires were wearing quickly, and my front tires were getting close to redline, I pushed it one lap more but this only hurt me. By the time I pulled into the bits it was just 9 seconds, and before I had even got into my box, the Viper sped past...unfortunantly so did the rest of the field, leaving me an eventual 22 seconds behind.

I tore up the tarmac and tried hard to get rid of that gap, trying too hard at times and letting my XKR get the better of me, losing any time I had gained. Finally however, the other cars began pitting over the next 5 laps, allowing me to slowly jump up the field, the only car that didn't was the Viper, but I managed to catch and take him on lap 17. But damnit, my tires were wearing down again already, unprepared to take the risk I did on lap 9 by going longer I came into the pits. But what luck!, so did the Viper, leaving me in first as I came out and the TVR racing right up beside the exitting Viper. I began pulling away and building a good lenghtly gap. Unfortunantly (for both me and this report) the race from lap 20-50 was very uneventful.

I looked set to take the flag with 16 laps to go, with a 33 second gap I pulled into the pits once more, electing not to refuel. I came out around 6 seconds ahead, and continued my leading, as I looked back I could see the TVR and Viper duking it out and laughed. But apparently I laughed too soon, I came out of the tunnel and made the mistake of shifting to 4th as I came over the hill, my Jag jumped and landed, bottoming out and with cold tires I was sent into a spin. I desperately shifted into 1st to try and turn round and get away ahead, but I watched in heartbreak seeing the two black cars shoot through before I had even turned round. Should I quit? I thought...I decided not to and continued ahead, as fast as I could knowing I had just 15 laps to turn the 22 second gap into nothing. I pulled in for my last pit stop on lap 59, having pulled the gap down to 12 seconds, thankfully the TVR pitted on lap 60 and I was able to over-take him. So, there I was, 2nd place and seemingly unable to make any kind of dent in the 14 second lead the Viper had over me. I resigned myself to 2nd best but kept up the hard work.

By lap 65 of 66 my tyres were getting tired, I knew there wasn't much else I could do, but in the last few corners my eyes lit up seeing "Dodge Viper SRT/10 pitting in..." flash up on the screen. This was it, I pushed it into high gear and charged around the last corner and up the straight, taking 1st. My front tyres were practically non-existent, my rear tyres were getting that way, one lap to go. I had pulled out a 14 second gap thanks to the Viper's pit stop, an uneventful but slow last lap saw me round the final corner, blaze up the start/finish straight and handbrake turn the car to drift sideways over the finish line. Voila, 250K, a car to sell for 740K and 168 A-Spec points as I completed my first Endurance race by my own hands.

Nice job, and great report :) (not to mention the nice A-Spec score!) I'd write more of these myself, but that would mean I'd have to spend less time actually racing ;)

<_Spike_>
with a 33 second gap I pulled into the pits once more, electing not to refuel.

You know you can go ahead and refuel, and just hit X to stop fueling as soon as your tires are ready so you arent waiting around for a full tank that you probably won't use up before your next pit. Although some cars burn fuel a lot faster than others. As far as weight is concerned, I'm not sure how PD factors in fuel weight, if at all.

Excellent, congrats for sticking it out after your little accident!:ouch:
Love reading reports about this race, one of my favourite enduros so far, along with Nurb 4hr. 👍
If you fancy going back for those last 32 A-spec points click the link to the Stock car race thread in my signature, you're welcome to submit your stock race details here too, but you'll need a 200pt race to join the Club 200 list.
There's about 11 entries, all of which have won El Capitan in stock form for 200 points, if you fancy giving it a go again, I can advise enter/exiting a few times to find a nice lineup too, if you can avoid the Viper, TVR, Motorsport Elise and the Shelby it's pretty easy to run a good close race and still come away with a maximum points haul.:)
Look forward to reading your writeup for a 200pt attempt if you get round to it!
:cheers:

<_Spike_>
By lap 65 of 66 my tires were getting tired (no pun intended fellas and fella-ettes)

This is the reason in true "English" English tyre is spelled with a Y not an I, so there's no mistaking what you're talking about! :lol:

heh heh I knew there was something not right about that sentence lol. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll havea go with the 200pt target soon, hopefully it won't be different (have noticed a few differences between what cars get 200pts in PAL and NTSC)

Which one are you on? NTSC or PAL? I'm guessing because you use tire & not tyre that you're somewhere in US, or learned US English.

Though I'm a Brit, I'm on the NTSC game 'cos I'm in California.
(Actually, I'm typing this from Idaho, but that's besides the point!:) )

There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the 2 formats for this race, I'm not sure where all of the Club 200ers are based, but a lot of the entries are from NTSC racers, including myself, a used Toyota Supra RZ '97, with an oil change and the standard SM tyres it came wearing, was my weapon of choice, although I had to be picky about the AI lineup!
If you can race 66 more or less clean laps, which apart from one mistake in your report above, I'm pretty sure you can, it shouldn't prove too difficult for you, but be prepared for it to go right to the wire!

Also, if you note the laps on which the other cars pit in, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share that with me too, I have a sticky thread at the top of the race reports board where I'm trying to compile the pit laps of all the AI vehicles in all the Endurance races, if you can help me out I can include you in the list of credits at the top! :cheers:
Check it out, it may help you to decide which are the best cars to race against, sometimes what seems like a really fast car on the track will have to pit a lot, and therefore, over the course of a whole endurance race, not turn out to be a threat at all! :D

Been looking forward to some good close races for a while now, I've mostly been racing this race in faster cars for easy money (as the only cars I have left to get are 2 rare used, 6 1.3Mill+ racers and 4 4.5Mill racers).

I'm a brit myself so I've got the PAL vers. Just a few differences I've noticed in the lower beginner races in terms of A-Spec (example being the Yaris/Vitz only seems to get me a max of 176) but I'm sure that's just me. As to the whole tyre/tire thing, I've got a lot of american friends, particularly on messenger, therefore their spelling has started to rub off on me lol.

I'll have a drive round a couple of the enduros today and note down the pit-stops for you and hopefully post them over the weekend if not tonight

Not so much more a report but an addition to my El Capitan race. Went back to get those last A-Spec Points in the Amuse S2000 R1. Man that thing has godly handling, anyways I luckily got the lineup that it aces (M5, 'Vette Grand Sport, T350c and another two I can't remember) Won it by 1 lap and with a fastest lap of 1'54.900

You bet! That car is the most enjoyable to drive in the whole game! :dopey:
Nice reports 👍 and, by the way, you can also use tthe S2000 in the NY Enduro. You will lose a lot of time in the fast sections, but with the right angles you can make up that time, and even more on the corners!
Good luck and keep the reports coming :sly:

That cracked me up... I kinda felt like I was racing...probably a good thing I wasn't. I may have quit after spinning. 'gratz on the cash and points, too :-)

Back