New BBCodes - Search Links and Embedded YouTube Videos!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 26 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
You can now YouTube videos directly into your post! Simply grab the video ID from the web address of the video in your browser (highlighted in red here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U013CuDO5M), and insert that between [youtube] tags, like [youtube]6U013CuDO5M[/media]. Here's an example below:

I have also added buttons to the WYSIWYG editor icons to make things even easier. Also, before someone asks, yes I tried for an hour to get Google Video's embedded player to work, but it's method of identifying the video makes it far too complicated to work in this particular application. Maybe they will change things soon so this can become a reality in the future. Nevertheless, it should make it even easier to share videos with each other in the Car Videos & Photos forum, as well as in the Drifting forums when you all want to show off your latest driving styles. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice 👍

Although, activating the video you embedded changes the title in the IE title bar to #post2227847 (in place of New BBCodes - Search Links ...).

Really? I don't seem to be having that problem. Could you post a screenshot?

All this after the hard drive problem this weekend? That's why you're in charge, Jordan! Nice job once again. :)👍

helping n00bs will never be painful again! and out of interest, could either you, sharky or jordan explain why or what the problem is with the code changing through the youtube link? :confused:

edit: and jordan, where did that rockin' video come from?!?

Jordan... you're going nuts after the hard drive failure. Ever heard of taking a break? :lol:

Also, the GTP logo button in the WYSIWYG editor is botched up. But otherwise, it looks even better.

But what we need now is a function to link to our own wiki. :)

Very cool feature Jordan. :)

I take it the videos won't play automatically, they'll have to be activated by me like the one above?

I don't want to be wasting my precious bandwidth on videos I don't want to see. :)

*EDIT* - I can confirm the thread-title-change that blue_sharky39 is experiencing. I'm on IE6 here at work.

Cool new features. 👍

I see myself using the seach code more than the You Tube one as I don't go there that often, but hopefully, the Google ones will be able to do that soon.

Thanks again, Jordan!

ferrari_chris
I can confirm the thread-title-change that blue_sharky39 is experiencing. I'm on IE6 here at work.
Seems to be working fine in Firefox 1.5.0.2.

Edit: I just checked IE and it's working fine there, too. :confused:

This is really slick stuff Jordan. Thanks! The search one will prove especially handy in the Drift forum :sly:

The problem is sort-of fixed for IE7.

untitled8ua.png

Is there any chance that vB can be rewired to embed Vimeo movies? The mentioned site is gaining popularity and there are a lot of really quality pieces that won't make it to YouTube that have homes at Vimeo. It would be nice to be able to share these on GTP. Could it be investigated?

Thanks,
er

Last edited:
Bump to support exigeracer. I've noticed loads of quality video's on Vimeo, it's definitely the place for serious content. Support for embedding would be awesome.

And more support for it. Especially automotive-wise, there are some extremely well made and high quality videos that put Youtube's HD function to shame. I also tend to find that Vimeo's player works a bit better than Youtube's. The Youtube embed has worked out very well for everyone and I've never noticed a forum slowdown because of a video thread, so if it's possible and easy I'd like to ask for Vimeo embedding too.

Also, I had never even heard of the [search] code before. Where was I four years ago, lol.

Yes, I agree, a lot of great video producers upload their material to Vimeo. Let me know if you have any problems with the embedded player.

Wow, I didn't know about the [ search ] thing until now! But I cannot get it to work.

That's because the [search] tag is no longer in the system - I'll edit it out as this is an old thread.

Back