All American Championship for 1000 A-spec points

• Thread starter AMG.
  • 13 comments

AMG.

Staff Emeritus
Netherlands
NL, Leiden
GTP_AMG
In December 2005 I attempted this race with a Camaro LM race car and won 56 Aspec points per race. I’m a (below) average driver (day 7055, 95.9% completion, 78155 A specs) and my ongoing goal is to maximise A-spec points where possible.

Somewhere in Route_66’s 200 points thread there was a mention of using the Shelby Cobra 427 for this series. That car is a bit a handful for me so I used another Shelby. The Shelby Series 1 Supercharged.

So off to the tuner/dealer to get the following fitted as I knew I’d be facing much stronger competition.

Tuning - settings
Tyres R4, NA2, racechip,
SR exhaust half the price of a RC exhaust and only 2 hp less,
TR clutch & RC flywheel,
ASM/TCS 0,0,0.

All other settings remain unaltered as I’m not a tuner. I didn’t even change the oil when I obtained the car a while ago.

And just to make sure I’d get the 200 points per race I installed a can of NOS. :guilty:

I’m sure that many of you can do without the latter and still win with this combination. :smile:

The field
Ford GT LM Race car Spec II ‘04
Ford GT LM Race car ‘02
Camaro LM Race car ‘01
Corvette Z06 (C2) Race Car ‘63
Chapparal 2D ‘67
Shelby Series 1 Super Charged ’03 (447 bhp)

The AI are running on R3 tyres.

I qualify for every race to ensure first place on the grid with the above mentioned field and lo and behold when the 1st race starts it turns out to be a 200 pointer. I didn’t test beforehand to see if I could have installed more power upgrades and still get a 200 point margin.

Seattle 5 laps
I floor it and the Chapparal is yapping at my heels in the first corner. I expected such a thing but manage to keep my :cool: and stay in front. The R4s grip much better and I’ll need this if I am to stay ahead :nervous:. During the next 3-4 laps I manage a whopping 5 second lead. Wow, this is going to be easy. :scared: Hmmm, due to lack of a real battle and for fear of smashing in to walls I back off in the corners and the Chapparal is fast catching up on me. Thankfully it’s only a five lap race and I manage to stay ahead and collect 200 points. MOV 2.3s
Line up
Code:
[FONT=Courier]Start Finish Car[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]1      1     Series 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]2      2     Chapparal 2D[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]3      3     Ford GT LM ’04 [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]4      4     Ford GT LM ‘02[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]5      5     Camaro LM ‘01[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]6      6     Corvette Z06 ’63 [/FONT]
NOS used 0 units.
Tyres end up yellowish.

seattle4qq.jpg

Infineon 5 laps
Line up
Code:
[FONT=Courier]2      3     Ford GT LM ’04 [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]3      4     Chapparal 2D[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]4      2     Ford GT LM ‘02[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]6      6     Corvette Z06 ‘63[/FONT]
Hmm, the first uphill right hander catches me out all the time so I’ll need to tread carefully there. :nervous:
First lap and second no problem. I manage a slight lead of about a second. However just in to lap 3 and I am trying to build up more of a lead when disaster strikes. :banghead: I manage to come in to the first uphill bend too fast and hit the grass. The GT’02 overtakes me and I’ll need to do my very best to correct this mistake. Thankfully the R4s again come to my rescue and I regain the lead, a slight one though as I can feel and hear the GT breathing down my neck heavily. I try to keep my :cool: and not let him pass me again.
That’s a tall order but by not forcing the issue I manage to stay ahead, barely. The very last 180 bend he’s next to me but on the outside. AAARRGGH, I have to win, I have to win, I have to win. I floor it and manage to keep him behind me as I cross the line.
MOV 0.360s.
NOS used 1 unit on lap 3.
Tyres end up orange front yellowish rear.

infineon8cq.jpg

New York 4 laps
Line up
Code:
[FONT=Courier]2      4     Camaro LM ‘01[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]3      2     Chapparal 2D[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]4      5     Ford GT LM ‘02[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]5      3     Ford GT LM ’04 [/FONT]
newyork13kx.jpg

Thankfully the Chapparal ends up behind the Camaro at the bottom of the straight or else I may have never stood a chance on the straights.:scared: The Camaro nicely holds up the Chap whilst I try to get a clean getaway. At the first 90 degree right hander though the Chapparal overtakes me, well nearly as I manage to take the inside line and thankfully keep him in check. :sly: Again the R4’s help me no end to stay ahead of the pack as they make my Shelby corner like on rails. The one corner I need to negotiate well is the right hand turn at the end of the near 360 turn just before the start of the long straight. I have a tendency to hit the wall there regularly. I back off in time and in all 4 laps manage not to hit it.
On the straights I apply some NOS to make sure I stay ahead of the pack that’s chasing me.
MOV 1.931s. NOS used 3 units.

newyork29wv.jpg

El Capitan reverse 4 laps (my favourite track)
Line up
Code:
[FONT=Courier]2      2     Ford GT LM ’04 [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]3      3     Ford GT LM ‘02[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]4      5     Camaro LM ‘01[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]5      4     Chapparal 2D[/FONT]
elcapitan17fe.jpg

I qualify in 1st place. Rev up and take off. The GT ’04 overtakes me at the end of the straight and the GT ’02 is not far behind. I manage to overtake him in the following section leading up to the bridge. YES, my prayer has been heard. He slams in to the bridge :smile: on the first lap and I quickly extend my lead. I am pretty sure I can extend my lead even further as I drive up the hill that leads to the tunnel as I believe I know that section well enough to gain some precious time. By lap 3 I am still only a second ahead when again disaster strikes. (pics 6-7) :banghead:

elcapitan20bm.jpg

Now I manage to nearly hit the bridge as I take the corner leading up to it a bit too fast. The GT ’04 manages to overtake me :scared: but I regain my composure and regain the lead pretty soon thereafter. :sly: My heartrate must have jumped to 150 though. :nervous:
He’s a tough one to keep behind me and lap 4 is fought over as well. I manage to win and collect another 200 points and another 10 championship points. The Corvette ’54 is mine as total championship points are now 40.
MOV 0.793s. NOS used 0 units.
Tyres nice and yellow.

elcapitan35bx.jpg

Laguna Seca 5 laps
Line up
Code:
[FONT=Courier]2      2     Ford GT LM ‘02[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]3      4     Chapparal 2D[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier]4      3     Ford GT LM ’04 [/FONT]

laguna13ov.jpg

I detest this track, specifically corners 3 and 4. I still havent managed to find a good line through these and slow down too much so as to stay on the track. Judicious use of NOS needed here to make up for my lack of speed through all the bends. On lap 2 I lose it and manage to go and mow the lawn.
I’ll stick to the AUP and not use 🤬 foul language. I manage to score my 5th win.
MOV 1.36s
NOS 10 units used. :guilty:
Tyres bright yellow.

laguna27pf.jpg

One of these days I may attempt this championship again with the same car but leave the NOS back home. Thank you for the R4 tyres that held out and only once turned orange in one of the races. My heartrate however jumped from a normal 60 to well over 120 in every race. It was close, very close racing but well worth the try.

Wrap up
Seattle 7'53.825
Infineon 7'47.384
New York 6'31.699
El Capitan 7'10.884
Laguna 7'22.252
Race report 4:xx hours

Now off to visit my physician.
Hope you liked it.

AMG

Nice write up!! The Shelby Series 1 can do the job well when driven well.
P.S: El Capitan is also one of my favorite tracks.

Thx ImprezaAddict, LeadSlead#2 and SH, much appreciated !

Definitely some close racing. The Series I is one of the few cars that I really like despite having only done this race and the Shelby race with it. I must take it out of my garage more often.
Writing this report took longer than I thought. Perhaps I forgot how long it took to write my first ever post.
Yours (SH) make for some really good reading too! 👍

AMG

Yeah real nice write-up!
Those pics are great too!
Thanks for bring this story to us! 👍

Excellent report! And nice pics too! The Series 1 is one of my most favorite American cars (then again, I like almost any car from Shelby :D)

Very Nice Report Well Laid Out And Easy On The Eye - And Excellent Pictures!

That Shelby Series One looks awesome can't wait to give it a spin myself.

Please More Of the same - Keep up the good work.

SlowlyButSurely
Please More Of the same - Keep up the good work.

Thx guys, 👍 Feedback is alway appreciated. I will write up on occasion if the race warrants it.
Translation, If I can get 200 points and it's reasonably close racing.

AMG.

Great write up, tried this myself. Almost lost it at Infineon and New York on the last lap, and unfortunantly did lose it on the last lap at El Capitan...just didn't seem to want to stay stuck to the track!

Ah well, good job on yours though.

Back