GT2 circuit real locations

• Thread starter true_kiat
  • 43 comments
I thought it would be interesting to identify the real places where some of the tracks of GT2 are located (Seattle, Roma, Grindelwald...), so I posted the result of my little research at this forum:

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=550887&m=

It's a Spanish forum, so it's in Spanish, but it's just telling the name of the street, so I think it'll do. But for the lazy here are the images:

romagt2map.jpg

Here with Google Earth:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/true_kiat/PSXimgs/Otros/Otros%206/romaaereo.jpg

seattlegt2map.jpg

Here with Google Earth:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/true_kiat/PSXimgs/Otros/Otros%206/seattleaereo.jpg

I found Grindelwald too (which it's so obvious, if you ask me) and right now I'm trying to find the lines of Rome Night at maps, but I don't get it. My only reference is the Trajan Column that's seen at the big chicane. I think all Rally tracks are ficticious, except for Pikes Peak, and that Route 5 tracks are somewhere indeterminated in Japan. If you have some ideas let me know.

There are a few threads already made about that topic, do a search for "real tracks"

Seattle, Rome, R246, Seoul, New York, Paris and Hong Kong are quite easy to find. You can also find Citta di Aria (Assisi)
and Costa Di Almafi (Capri) in Italy.

If you can find SSR11 near the Rainbow Bridge at Tokyo or SSR5 at Odaiba in Northern Japan though, you'll be the first. After looking for these, I'm quite sure they are entirely made up.

Tahiti is probably ficticious; Google won't let me zoom in far enough. Then again, there's many islands that make up French Polynesia, Tahiti could be anywhere in the island grouping.

I've been trying to find SSR11 and SSR5 for a while now. No luck; it's supposed to be the Yokohama area.

People around these forums have dropped hints that it's around the "Sakuragicho" area. Some of the streets seem to match up, but others don't, using Google Maps. Can anyone else make some sence out of it?

ssr11.jpg

m_sakuragicho.gif

SSR11 really seems like Yokohama. The factories' chimneys near the end have a feel of it, remember me the track 'Out of the Blue' in Ridge Racer Type 4, sit in Yokohama. Would try looking for it.

About SSR5 I recall hearing that "New River City" as it stands on the green boards near the finish line is the English for Odaiba, in Tokyo. Don't know really.

The Tahiti ones are tricky, 'cause though it's almost sure they are fictious, you can't assure it to death since it's almost impossible to find anything about it.

High Speed Ring resembles old Fuji circuit in "mirror mode".

Pupik
I've been trying to find SSR11 and SSR5 for a while now. No luck; it's supposed to be the Yokohama area.

People around these forums have dropped hints that it's around the "Sakuragicho" area. Some of the streets seem to match up, but others don't, using Google Maps. Can anyone else make some sence out of it?

No luck, and I've looked hard. :indiff: The rainbow bridge is Route 11 on the maps.

If you look at Otaru (was mistaken in the last post), West of Sapporo in the North of Japan, there is a Route 5 that passes not far some docks, and there are quite a few tunnels arounds, but nothing exactly as it is in GT.

true_kiat
High Speed Ring resembles old Fuji circuit in "mirror mode".

Yeah, and there was an Atari arcade game in the '80s that used the same exact track as High Speed Ring, only it was called Fuji or something.

Jordan went to Switzerland last summer and posted a thread because he was in Grindelwäld for a day. But he couldn't find any area that resembled the GT2 track. Have you been able to find Grindel yet, True_Kiat?

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Yeah, and there was an Atari arcade game in the 80's that used the same exact track as High Speed Ring, only it was called Fuji or something.
Good to know it.

Parnelli Bone
Jordan went to Switzerland last summer and posted a thread because he was in Grindelwäld for a day. But he couldn't find any area that resembled the gT2 track. Have you been able to find Grindel yet, True_Kiat?
Yes, I did. Here you are:

grindgt2map.jpg

With minor changes this is it.

Wow you ROCK True_Kiat. For years nobody has been able to find the true map of Grindelwäld. Too bad that river runs along the grandstand area so we can't see it!

...now if someone could tell us if Laguna Seca is a real track or not... :embarrassed:

Parnelli Bone
Wow you ROCK True_Kiat. For years nobody has been able to find the true map of Grindelwäld. Too bad that river runs along the grandstand area so we can't see it!
Indeed! 👍

Parnelli Bone
now if someone could tell us if Laguna Seca is a real track or not... :embarrassed:

I'm sure it is, I've seen articles about it somewhere... Isn't it in Russia or somewhere?

TMM
I'm sure it is, I've seen articles about it somewhere... Isn't it in Russia or somewhere?

Okay...if we put our heads together and RESEARCH, surely we'll have an answer soon. You ready Magellen? I mean, some iddiot told me Laguna Seca is in California but that just has to be hogwash... what a twit...I mean look at the landscape in the background. It just has to be in Uzbekestan or something.

Last edited:
What you think about this one?

realapr.jpg

Double-apex curve at the beginning, followed by 'S curves', 180 degree hairpin mid-circuit plus hard chicane near the end.

true_kiat
I'm trying to find the lines of Rome Night at maps, but I don't get it. My only reference is the Trajan Column that's seen at the big chicane.
it isnt the Trajan Column.... I am still trying to work out which column it is. That isnt the only reference though. It runs through part of a park, and there is a bridge or aquaduct. the right-left left-right section after the first turn could also go around a palace or something too... it is a hard one, but i am considering leaving this one as made up with a roman theme

lynxravenraide
it isnt the Trajan Column.... I am still trying to work out which column it is. That isnt the only reference though. It runs through part of a park, and there is a bridge or aquaduct. the right-left left-right section after the first turn could also go around a palace or something too... it is a hard one, but i am considering leaving this one as made up with a roman theme
You're right, it's not the Trajan Column but an obelisk, and there are a lot of them in Rome. Check this web; it has photographs of every obelisk in Rome. But if you compare them, it's not exactly like any of them:

http://www.romaspqr.it/ROMA/Obelischi.htm

rnobelisco.jpg

Back