New Career GT4 Challenge - anyone interested?

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
I was trying to come up with a new GT4 challenge and thought a new Career Challenge might be fun.

Object:
  • In the fewest days possible, complete every championship & race (excluding Family Cups, Special Conditions, and Missions) starting with only the races that do not require a license, and progressively moving up until ending with a victory in the Formula GT World Championship. All told that would be 110 different events (32 championships and 459 races).

In other words, treat it like a career mode where you have to work your way up the competitive ladder, but as quickly as possible.

Rules:
  • Drivers must start with a totally new game (No Licenses; No car; $10,000 cr).
  • Drivers are not allowed to get their first license (b) until all the races that do not require a license are won (with the exception of Suzuki Concepts; Lotus Classics; 2HP-2CV Classics; and Roadster 4h Endurance as explained later on).
  • Drivers may not acquire the next license until all races have been won for the previous license – (with the exception of Extreme and Endurance races that are not available until completion of the Beginner & Professional events).
  • Any race that is against racecars must not be attempted until all the road car races have been won for that particular license.
  • While they are not required for this challenge, drivers will be allowed to do Family Cups, Special Condition events, and Missions if they feel it might benefit them - like earning a needed car, or money. Just remember that you may NOT enter any of these until you have earned the appropriate license.
  • You may chose when and if you ever want to run a race in B-spec, mostly because the challenge is such a long one that B-spec mode will help speed things up, but just remember the time you save running B-spec may cost you if "Bob" doesn't win the race. Knowing when to do this and the right car to use will play a part in your success in this challenge.
  • Obviously the use of any cheating codes is prohibited.
The key strategy will be deciding what cars to buy, races to enter, cars to sell that will allow you to win all the races up to the Formula GT World Championship in the fewest game days while following the rules of the challenge.

On the face of it, it may appear simple enough, but I think those who participate will find that the right choice will not always be an obvious one, and that while one strategy may work really well for one type of driver, it wont be for another.

live4speed
This sounds very similar to the 1st of July society only with the added twist of doing the events in a license requirement order.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75858&highlight=july
If I recall the 1st of June Club/society/members are those who played the game to get 100% in the shortest amount of game days. This is quite different. Not only are you not going for 100%, but because you must complete all races for each license before moving to the next means not being able to jump around in the game selecting races that will give you a prize car to use in others. Thus allowing you to get to 100% in under 800 game days.

Also, because for this challenge you don't have to do any of the missions and special conditions events (necessary for getting 100%), it might not take as long.

The point being that the strategy and path will be quite different than the one used to get 100% before June 1st.

I'll do it! 👍 , but I'll have to buy another memory card though...by monday or tuesday I should be all set.

Ciao...

hucker696
Are you going to list the order of races?That way we will be sure we don't advance prematurly.
I am working on it, but for those that want to get an early start. Here is the list of the 16 events (2 championships; 63 races; 1,241 Miles) you must complete (in what ever order best meets your strategy) before you can go earn a 'b' license and move on to the next set of races:

• Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - Mini________ - Mini Sports Meeting
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Italy__ - Alfa Romeo__ - GTA Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - Audi________ - A3 Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - BMW_________ - 1 Series Trophy
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Daihatsu____ - Midget II Race
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Isuzu_______ - Isuzu Sports Classics
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Mitsubishi__ - Mirage Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Toyota______ - Vitz Race
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Sunday Cup
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - FF Challenge
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - FR Challenge
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - 4WD Challenge
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - MR Challenge
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Light-weight K-Car Cup
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Sports Truck Race
  • European Event____ - _______ - ____________ - 1000 Miles!
The following races also do not require a license, but have special requirements as noted:

• Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Suzuki______ - Suzuki Concepts
    (must wait until you get a 'b' license and win the Suzuki K-Car Cup)
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - Lotus_______ - Lotus Classics
    (must wait until you get a 'b' license and win the British Lightweight Series)
  • Manufacturer Race_ - France_ - Citröen_____ - 2HP-2CV Classics
    (must wait until you get an 'a' license and win the Tous France Championnat)
  • Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - Roadster 4h Endurance
    (must wait until you get a 'ib' license and win all Beginner & Pro events)
Just keep in mind it's not a race to see who finishes the challenge first, although that will be a noteworthy accomplishment. Therefore, those starting later have no disadvantage.

Once you have finished all 16 events listed at the top, then you can go earn a 'b' license and move on the following set of 26 events (6 championships; 106 races; 517 Miles) - as always, with in each listed group of events you can do them in any order that works best for you keeping in mind the objective and rules of this challenge:
  • Manufacturer Race_ - USA____ - Chevrolet___ - Camaro Meeting
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - Aston Martin - Aston Martin Carnival
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - Audi________ - Tourist Trophy
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - Volkswagen__ - GTI Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Korea__ - Hyundai_____ - Hyundai Sports Festival
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Honda_______ - Civic Race
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Mazda_______ - Club 'RE'
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Mazda_______ - NR-A Roadster Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Mazda_______ - NR-A RX-8 Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Mitsubishi__ - Evolution Meeting
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Nissan______ - March Brothers
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Nissan______ - Silvia Sisters
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Suzuki______ - Suzuki K-Car Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Suzuki______ - Suzuki Concepts
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Toyota______ - Altezza Race
  • American Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Muscle Car Competition
  • European Event____ - _______ - ____________ - British Lightweight Series
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - Lotus_______ - Lotus Classics
  • Japanese Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Japanese 70's Classics
  • Japanese Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Japanese Compact Cup
  • Beginner Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Spider & Roadster
  • Professional Event - _______ - ____________ - Clubman Cup
  • Professional Event - _______ - ____________ - Race of NA Sports
  • Professional Event - _______ - ____________ - Race of Turbo Sports
  • Professional Event - _______ - ____________ - Boxer Spirit
The last event you must win before getting your 'a' license is the following:
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - Volkswagen__ - Beetle Cup - (race cars)
    (This is saved for last, because it involves race car equipped AI opponents.)
The following race will have to wait until you get a 'ib' license and win all Beginner & Pro events:
  • Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - Tsukuba 9hr Endurance

Once you have finished all 42 events listed above, then you can go earn an 'a' license and move on the following set of 23 Events (10 Championships; 98 Races; 646 Miles) - as always, with in each listed group of events you can do them in any order that works best for you keeping in mind the objective and rules of this challenge:
  • Manufacturer Race_ - USA____ - Chrysler____ - Crossfire Trophy
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - Lotus_______ - Elise Trophy
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - MG__________ - MG Festival
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - Triumph_____ - Spitfire Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - UK_____ - TVR_________ - Black Pool Racers
  • Manufacturer Race_ - France_ - Alpine______ - Renault Alpine Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - France_ - Renault_____ - Megane Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - BMW_________ - Club 'M'
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - Mercedes____ - Legend of the Silver Arrow
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Germany - Volkswagen__ - Lupo Cup
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Daihatsu____ - Copen Race
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Nissan______ - Club 'Z'
  • Manufacturer Race_ - Japan__ - Subaru______ - Subaru 360 Race
  • American Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Hot Rod Competition
  • Sp Condition Event - _______ - ____________ - George V Rally (Easy)
  • European Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Tous France Championnat
  • Manufacturer Race_ - France_ - Citröen_____ - 2HP-2CV Classics
  • European Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Schwarzwald Liga A
  • Japanese Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Japan Championship
  • Japanese Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Japanese 80's Festival
  • Japanese Event____ - _______ - ____________ - Japanese 90's Challenge
  • Professional Event - _______ - ____________ - Tuning Car Grand Prix
  • American Event____ - _______ - ____________ - All American Championship
The following races will have to wait until you get aN 'ib' license and win all Beginner & Pro events:
  • Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - Laguna Seca 200 Miles
  • Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - Motegi 8hr Endurance
  • Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - El Capitan 200 Miles
  • Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - New York 200 Miles

I'll update this post with the list of available 'ib' license events shortly.

Digital-Nitrate
The point being that the strategy and path will be quite different than the one used to get 100% before June 1st.
Very true, but I never said they were the same ;).

[busy looking up the meaning of "very similar"] ;)

All kidding aside, I hope you join the challenge L4S. Due to the wide choice of paths, it should be quite interesting to see how players progress through it. 👍

I might be willing to give this a go, but i've still yet to finish my first file 100% (damn missions!)

Uh oh.... I just saw a problem with that first list of events.

There are only two cars that qualify for the Lotus Classics, neither of which can be bought. The only way to enter this is to win the European British Lightweight Series event which requires an 'a' license. No big deal, I'll treat that and any other similar situations like the Extreme & Endurance events that only require lesser licenses.

This brings up an interesting point however, as there will be some events that will require you to buy a used car, so planning ahead of time to know when that used car is going to be available will be critical in keeping your game days down.

OK, I've updated the first round of available events to start your careers off as a race car driver.

The following events will have to be won later, because they all require cars that cannot be bought, only won and from events that require a higher license:
  • Manufacturer Races - Japan__ - Suzuki____ - Suzuki Concepts_
    (must wait until you get a 'b' license and win the Suzuki K-Car Cup)
  • Manufacturer Races - UK_____ - Lotus_____ - Lotus Classics__
    (must wait until you get an 'a' license and win the British Lightweight Series)
  • Manufacturer Races - France_ - Citröen___ - 2HP-2CV Classics
    (must wait until you get an 'a' license and win the Tous France Championnat)

I have updated the Events List for this challenge with the addition of the set of 21 events (4 championships, and 89 races) that are available once the previous 12 events are won and after you get a 'b' license.

Good luck drivers!

Not enough prize money at the start to buy enough cars to complete the first requirement without redoing lots of races.

It would seem the best start would be a used Mirage or Vitz to do
3 events with.(Manufacture, Sunday, FWD.) I do not think a stock used Mirage or Vitz will win the FWD cup and will need upgrades.
Not much of a career choice.
The other choice is FWD K class car for Sunday cup, K class and FWD. But upgrades are expensive and has limited potential.

I have just checked Famine's used car list (PAL) and the first pre1970 car appears in week 41 - much later than I had expected (Mercury Cougar XR-7 '67 - Cr 16,547). This could be used for the 1000 Miles! series and lots of cash. Eligible cars that can win pop up fairly regularly from there.

Perhaps a Honda 1300 Coupe 9 S for Cr 12,800 might be worth a try? Definitely the Toyota Sports 800 '65 for Cr 35,000 would win this series easily (as long as not Cobra present). Both these cars can be brought from the manufacturer. Buy a Mirage (used week 1 Cr 9,540) - win Mirage cup twice - no worries.

hucker696
I haven't started yet ,but I am thinking about it.I might not finish as I will lose intrest due to adult A.D.D.
:) Considering all the decisions you have and different paths you can take.. this should help keep that ADD busy. :)

Uncle Harry
Not enough prize money at the start to buy enough cars to complete the first requirement without redoing lots of races.
Not necessarily. You don't even have to win any of the races in the European Event - 1000 Miles! to make more than enough to buy several cars and upgrades. Win all the races in that series and the championship and you'll earn $900,000 cr.

If it helps, I'll share how I got started with this challenge.

On day one I bought a used 1981 Isuzu Piazza XE for $8,627 minus another $50 for performance oil. With that car I entered the Isuzu Sports Classics events, and by day 6 I had won all the races (60/57/57 A-spec pts), which earned me a 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe.

Without spending on any upgrades, only a performance oil change, I entered the 117 Coupe in the second race (at Opera Paris) of the 1000 Miles! event (89 A-spec race). While I lost to a 1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe, after 164 miles of easy driving I took second place by a healthy margin, earning me $75,000.

With the extra money, I was able to upgrade my 117 Coupe and easily won all four races in the 1000 Miles! event, earning me $900,000 more credits and a new 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale.

So in only 11 days I had earned $981,000 credits and owned three cars. So, no... if you take a little time to look at what your choices are, you wont need to redo lots of races.

Digital Nitrate you need to edit your post number 7 where it says the 1000 miles is in Beginner Cup to read " European cup ".
You have just blown the challange wide open by revealing that one overlooked race event as a huge money pit.
Never thought of this event to be my third race.

Uncle Harry
You have just blown the challenge wide open by revealing that one overlooked race event as a huge money pit.
Never thought of this event to be my third race.
Well it sounded like you were concerned that you'd have to keep running races over again, so a helpful nudge seemed worth it. ;)

Don't worry, there are many other problem solving situations that will come along, thus the fun of this challenge as there are MANY different directions you can go that will result in different outcomes. And as far as I can tell, no one path will be the best choice for every driver due to car preferences and driving abilities.

+ rep points to Digital Nitrate for a good thread and his knowledge of the game.
I dont think I will be doing the challange.

This is the problem with GT4. There is not a balanced path as you progress.
It is either not enough, my way, or to much, your way, (very clever way indeed).
Good Luck.
I burnt out at 30% on my attempt at the 1st of June effort. I will occasionally keep it progressing.

Uncle Harry
... This is the problem with GT4. There is not a balanced path as you progress...
I have to disagree with calling this a problem - I think the flexibility allowed is a great feature and has resulted in an amazing variety of approaches to playing the game - including this one. You are only realy limited by your imagination.

It seems to me that the few restrictions they have put in the game cause the most problems (why can't i enter the GTWC, why can't I use x car in the supercar festival).

If I will ever have the time and motivation to complete GT4 again (still have not completed it once) I think I will follow a similar approach to this challenge but I would also like to only use stock cars (where possible).

What I was trying to say was you either have too much cash or not enough cash.
To me it is not balanced. I would say the 1000 miles prize amount is a slip up. License condition stuff up or oversight?.
It makes this challange to easy in my opinion.

I prefer to get the licenses first up.

Well after 101 game days I completed all the races from the first group (16 events, 2 championships, 63 races).

Here are some of my stats:
  • 101 Days 11-Jul
  • 11.0% Game Completion
  • 63/70 Wins/Losses
  • 16 Prize Cars
  • $1,103,800 Prize Credits
  • 31 Cars Owned
  • 1,408 Miles
As this didn't take too long, I am tempted to restart in order to improve my win/loss record and make some better choices in car selection and mods - especially before I have to go through all the 'b' license tests. :)

UPDATE:

Glad I restarted as I found a much better path and used a few different cars and settings to get thorugh this first round, at least for now that is.

If anyone wants suggestions, or details about my choices, feel free to PM me. This way it wont spoil it for others.

Uncle Harry
What I was trying to say was you either have too much cash or not enough cash.
To me it is not balanced. I would say the 1000 miles prize amount is a slip up. License condition stuff up or oversight?.
It makes this challange to easy in my opinion.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. However, it's far more complicated than that.

Those extra credits aren't going to always help, especially if you are wasting extra days only to find that you didn't need the extra credits. Only better car selection, set-ups, strategic planning for future races, and of course driving skills will assure you of any success in this particular challenge.

I prefer to get the licenses first up.
I'm a tad confused. On one hand you make a critical assumption that the challenge is too easy (which I disagree with), and yet on the other hand you say you prefer to get the licenses first?

How is this more challenging? Without ever buying a car or driving in a race you'll get a minimum of 5 free cars and a maximum of 15 - many of which will easily win any of the early races. You could even sell a couple like the Skyline GT-R and Interceptor thus not only giving you all the other bonus cars, but you'll even have an extra $50,000 before ever entering a race. Then of course, with all those licenses and quality cars, you can jump al over the game so that you can win prize cars to use in other races regardless of any license requirements.

I'd say playing that way is the least challenging by far (except for those using cheats). Not that there is anything wrong about playing that way, only that it is less of a challenge, as it doesn't place any restrictions on what you can do, and gives you a huge boost at the start of the game.

UPDATE

After restarting I have now completed the first leg of the career challenge. Here are my stats so far:
  • 91 Days
  • 11% Completion
  • 63/63 Win Ratio
  • 1,242 Miles
  • 16hrs 39mins 23.924secs
  • 75mph Average Speed
  • 16 Prize Cars (2 used in races)
  • _6 New Cars Purchased
  • _6 Used Cars Purchased
  • $1,024,100 Prize Credits
  • $__279,082 Total Car Budget
  • $___47,100 Total Mod Budget
  • $______750 Total Oil Budget
  • $___23,257 Average Cost per Car
  • $____6,066 Average Value of Cars Used

Cars Used So Far (listed in order by value)
  • 1998 Daihatsu___ Midget II D-type
  • 1981 Isuzu______ Piazza XE
  • 1997 Mitsubishi_ Mirage Cyborg ZR
  • 2000 Mitsubishi_ Lancer Evolution VI RS TOMMI MAKINEN Edition
  • 2002 Toyota_____ Vitz RS Turbo
  • 2002 Mini_______ Cooper-S
  • 2004 BMW________ 120d
  • 2003 Ford_______ SVT F-150 Lightning
  • 1998 Lotus______ Elise Sport 190
  • 1979 Autobianchi A112 Abarth
  • 2003 Audi_______ A3 3.2 quattro
  • 1964 Ginetta____ G4
  • 2002 Alfa Romeo_ 147 GTA

Digital-Nitrate
[*] Endurance Event___ - _______ - ____________ - Roadster 4h Endurance
(must wait until you get a 'ib' license and win all Beginner & Pro events)

Just thought I'd point out that the Endurance races do not require that you complete all Beginner & Pro events. They do require 25% game completion.

Maybe I'm bringing up an old(er) topic, but this is a great idea and I'm getting bored of my normal gt mode, so i'm deffenitly gonna follow this challenge.

Back