Pescarolo - Worth Buying?

• Thread starter Automobile
  • 125 comments
Australia
Australia
I noticed the Playstation Pescarolo cars doing quite well under AI control in some of the major races. I am thinking of buying one. Out of all the non-prize cars, is this the best one to spend all that money on? I have a Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo '04, the Nissan R92CP Race Car '92, the Minolta Toyota 88V-C '89 and the Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car '88 as well as all the black cars. Do I need to bother with a Pescarolo, or is it well worth having? Which one should I get, because there are two? Or what else should I buy with the 4.5 million credits?

You'll be looking for the Le Mans car comparison thread. It's in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

Also, your signature is too big. We have a limit of 6 lines here. Yours is currently at 9.

Automobile
I noticed the Playstation Pescarolo cars doing quite well under AI control in some of the major races. I am thinking of buying one. Out of all the non-prize cars, is this the best one to spend all that money on? I have a Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo '04, the Nissan R92CP Race Car '92, the Minolta Toyota 88V-C '89 and the Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car '88 as well as all the black cars. Do I need to bother with a Pescarolo, or is it well worth having? Which one should I get, because there are two? Or what else should I buy with the 4.5 million credits?

YES!

'Nuff said.

I can't afford both of them yet though. I spend a lot of money doing up all the good prize cars I get. I do them up fully. I always buy a Stage 4 Turbine. Most of the money I spend on each car is on tyres though. I get Sports Hard and Medium, Racing Super Hard, Hard and Medium and Dirt and Snow tyres for all my 4WD's. So which Pescarolo is best?

i would go for the playstation pescarolo, the 2004 model. its a very nice and fast car to go with

Both Pescalaros are very good. To me, they seem to have very torquey engines and get good fuel and tire mileage. The version that has less horsepower is more than enough to win any LMP races. They are definitely worth buying and racing.

I still feel that the Audi R8 is the best of all LMP cars due to its ability to compete well even against F1 cars at fairly high A-spec points. I haven't done extensive testing on other LMP cars, but the ones I have tried against F1 cars did not fare as well on all those F1 courses.

I JUST bought the 2004 model and entered it in the Fuji 1000k, stock, and won. Very smooth feeling car, and it's certainly worth the 4.5 million.

Plus, it's the kind of cars that re-pays for itself. Even by winning five enduros (of the longer variant), you'll repay for the cost. It's like buying a DTM-eligible car, or buying your first car capable of defeating the opponent in Capri Rally easy. (Or a good car for 1000 Miles!)

I love my Pesky. Both of 'em also have some great tire-wear, even better one than on the Audi R8 (though a little worse in A-spec, as noticed in the SuperSpeedway 150 Miles)/

daan
You'll be looking for the Le Mans car comparison thread. It's in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

Yep, that should explain it. In other words, yes it's worth 4.5 million dollars for time-attacks but If I were you, there is plenty of other beautiful cars out there that you can experiment with (Pagani Zonda F, Mine's R34 GTR) and perform multiple modifications on too.

YES - DEFINATELY WORTH BUYING. I found it very useful - it's very economical and easy to drive stock (I don't do tuning :) ).

I think the PlayStation Pesky is the best to have

GT Pro
Yep, that should explain it. In other words, yes it's worth 4.5 million dollars for time-attacks but If I were you, there is plenty of other beautiful cars out there that you can experiment with (Pagani Zonda F, Mine's R34 GTR) and perform multiple modifications on too.

Yeah, that's a points. But in GT4, unlike in real life, you can simply B-spec another DTM or Enduro and get some more money

The Pescarolos are very nice LM cars, but they won’t be setting any lap records. If you are looking for fast LM cars, any of the following are likely going to beat the best lap times of either Pesky:

• 1989 Toyota Minolta 88C-V
  • 1989 Mercedes Sauber C 9
  • 1992 Nissan R92CP
  • 1991 Mazda 787B
  • 1989 Nissan R89C
  • 1992 Peugeot 905
  • 2001 Audi R8
  • 1988 Jaguar XJR-9

The performance advantage of the Peskys is not in speed, but in their smooth handling, which not only translates to making consistent lap times, but it also extends their tire wear.

However, in short races, or against other LM cars that also have excellent handling characteristics and longer tire wear like the Mazda 787B, Peugeot 905, and Audi R8, the Peskys generally come out the losing side.

Personally, I would still recommend adding at least one of them to your collection because they are still better than most of the LM cars, have a very significant history behind them, and are quite enjoyable to drive.

Digital-Nitrate
  • 1992 Nissan R92CP
  • 1991 Mazda 787B
  • 1989 Nissan R89C
  • 1992 Peugeot 905
  • 2001 Audi R8
  • 1988 Jaguar XJR-9

Basically, what the list says is, that almost every Le Mans Prototype (One that is not based on an existing sports/road car) beats the Pescrolos? Because in the La Sarthe enduro, the 905 gets WAY behind, and the Pescarolo did pretty well, sometimes even gaining the lead (although it didn't pass my upgraded Pescarolo C60), and I don't even have to mention those Ford GT40/Camaro LM/NSX-R LM/all other crap-LM cars - good, fast cars, but with a serious disadvantage compared to "real" LMPs

Gingiba
Basically, what the list says is, that almost every Le Mans Prototype (One that is not based on an existing sports/road car) beats the Pescrolos? Because in the La Sarthe enduro, the 905 gets WAY behind, and the Pescarolo did pretty well, sometimes even gaining the lead (although it didn't pass my upgraded Pescarolo C60), and I don't even have to mention those Ford GT40/Camaro LM/NSX-R LM/all other crap-LM cars - good, fast cars, but with a serious disadvantage compared to "real" LMPs
I'm not sure if I really understand what your question was or what you are getting at, but as mentioned earlier, the LM cars listed above will beat the Pesky's best lap times. Of course winning a race isn't simply based on what car has the fastest lap. There are several LM cars that do to their handling characteristics make them very difficult to run consistent lap times in. Some of them are on that list. In addition, poor handling often translates to poor tire wear, thus as mentioned earlier, the Peskys will do better overall the longer the race.

The fact that you used an enduro race as example where the Peskys performed well only supports that observation.

GT Pro
Digital-Nitrate
The Pescarolos are very nice LM cars, but they won’t be setting any lap records. If you are looking for fast LM cars, any of the following are likely going to beat the best lap times of either Pesky:
  • 1992 Nissan R92CP
  • 1991 Mazda 787B
  • 1989 Nissan R89C
  • 1992 Peugeot 905
  • 2001 Audi R8
  • 1988 Jaguar XJR-9.
Ok, this is GT4, Pescarolo's are abnormally fast. In real-life, they aren't a match against the Audi Prototypes.

Also, I don't think you'll find a Peugeot 905 beating a Pescarolo on the majority of tracks anytime soon.
And I can also have a safe bet on the XJR-9 and R89C having a rough-time.

GT Pro
Ok, this is GT4, Pescarolo's are abnormally fast. In real-life, they aren't a match against the Audi Prototypes.

Also, I don't think you'll find a Peugeot 905 beating a Pescarolo on the majority of tracks anytime soon.
And I can also have a safe bet on the XJR-9 and R89C having a rough-time.

So far I have tested all 22 AI LM cars on most of the events they are used in, and in several cases more than a dozen separate times on each race. So far, my data suggests something different from your own observations.

In fact, I just recently I ran three sessions of the Enduro Super Speedway 150 Miles over the weekend and each of them included an AI driven Pescarolo PlayStation C60. Not only did it not win any of the sessions, but it did not come close to having the best lap time, and in the second session a Peugeot 905 beat it by four laps. The Peugeot also beat the Pesky's best lap time by nearly a full second. It was also beaten by a Nissan R92CP, a Bentley Speed 8, and a Mazda 787B.

So at least from my extensive LM testing, the Pesky's are not abnormally fast in GT4 and are regularly beaten by several other LM cars when driven equally. As I mentioned earlier, what does set them apart is their excellent handling characteristics which often translate to consistently fast lap times and lengthy tire wear.

Overall, Peskys are excellent cars in GT4, but can, and often are beaten by several other top performing LM cars.

They may not be the best, but I have always liked the Courage's day-glo green/dark blue paint job, as loud as it is :D. I'll have to buy it when I get $4.5m.

Weird, isn't it? The newest Pescarolos came in second this year at Le Mans, behind the Audi R10...

I've been re-doing all the enduros lately, and I found the Super Speedway enduro to be one of the weirdest. Except for those random Ford GT40 or Camaro LM, most of the lead is balanced, and it depends on the AI driver "assigned" for each car. I failed the Super Speedway on a stock Audi once, and, surprisingly, the Minolta was 4th, a Bentley 5th (I noticed it's way too slow), and the lead was a Mazda 787B. However, when I won the next round, the second place was a Jaguar, then the Minolta, with the Audi close behind, and a Pesky too. It seems to me, that the AI is pretty random on this track, and car-independant.

I'm definately getting one as soon as I can afford it. I'm down to 3m now because I'm winning so many prize rally cars in the Special Conditions hall and doing them up. Those stage 4 turbines, dirt and snow tires are expensive. :nervous:

I saw a bit of Le Mans on the tv a few days ago and saw some cars from GT4 in it including the Pescarolo and a Spyker. That's what reminded me of them made me want one. :)

I'll buy one after I win the Forumla GT World championship, there's a few million credits prize money, but I'm having trouble getting through the Sarthe race in first place at the moment, because my car keeps flipping out and then sticking to the barriers during the long straights between the chicanes. I don't want to risk coming anywhere but first in these early races, in case there's some real nightmares later on. :guilty:

Hmm. Lucky you. They don't broadcast races over here, in Israel. As a matter of fact, the first EVER legal race was held two or three weeks ago. The "Motorized Sports Law" permitting motor sports was only passed this year. Also, there aren't any programmes on TV showing racing and such.

I'd say go for it, because you gotta love how smooth and fluid the car feels when driving it (barely any wheelslip at all). It's just such a fun experience. It doesn't really matter which one, I just think the Judd engine sounds better (though it doesn't sound like a real Judd :grumpy: ).

Well I just finished the Forumla GT World championship in B-Spec mode. I got eight 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd place in the first 10 races. I then quit the next 5 as soon as they started and won the overall championship, 3 million credits and a Mercedes-Benz Sauber C9 Race Car '89. I'll fill in the rest of the Gold's later in single races. Now I have 6.2 million credits in the bank, I'm going to buy a Pescarolo and try it out. 💡

Digital-Nitrate
In fact, I just recently I ran three sessions of the Enduro Super Speedway 150 Miles over the weekend and each of them included an AI driven Pescarolo PlayStation C60. Not only did it not win any of the sessions, but it did not come close to having the best lap time, and in the second session a Peugeot 905 beat it by four laps. The Peugeot also beat the Pesky's best lap time by nearly a full second. It was also beaten by a Nissan R92CP, a Bentley Speed 8, and a Mazda 787B.

The 'Super Speedway' track in GT4 is of course built for powerful machines so yes, the other LM cars would do alot better than the Pescarolo's; You don't often see LMP's running round these tracks.

But circuit-racing; which consists of turns, bends and the like is a different story. This is where power isn't always needed.
I advise you run some times with some of those LM cars and see where the Pescarolo ranks up. I can confirm my observations of before can back this up. Tracks like Suzuka, Fugi Speedway 2005 GT, Opera Paris, Grand Valley etc. ; any tracks with multiple turns will do fine for testing, and I'd advise the people in question of these LM cars should give it a go. 👍

GT Pro
The 'Super Speedway' track in GT4 is of course built for powerful machines so yes, the other LM cars would do alot better than the Pescarolo's; You don't often see LMP's running round these tracks.

But circuit-racing; which consists of turns, bends and the like is a different story. This is where power isn't always needed.
I advise you run some times with some of those LM cars and see where the Pescarolo ranks up.
Perhaps you skipped past the beginning of my last post which you quoted from:

Digital-Nitrate
So far, I have tested all 22 AI LM cars on most of the events they are used in, and in several cases, more than a dozen separate times on each race. So far, my data suggests something different from your own observations.
So yes, I have tested these, and on the tracks where they are used in GT4... including Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway which the AI use LM cars on for two different events, as well as most of the circuit tracks these cars are used on.

benny456
Famine did a huge thing about all the cars in GT4, and which are fastest. The whole 700+ cars are in there so take a look https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80095&highlight=Trial+Mountain

Hope that helps.
Yes it does, and from Famine's testing on Trial Mountain (a twisty circuit track as per GT Pro's request), the following LM cars all beat the Peskys best times:

1. 1'15.002 Minolta Toyota 88C-V '89
  2. 1'15.048 Nissan R92CP '92
  3. 1'15.140 Sauber C9 '89
  4. 1'15.356 Nissan R89C '89
  5. 1'15.577 Peugeot 905 '92
  6. 1'15.923 Mazda 787B '91
  7. 1'15.935 Jaguar XJR-9 '88
  8. 1'16.017 Audi R8 '01
  9. 1'16.020 Pescarolo Courage C60/Peugeot '03
  10. 1'16.088 PlayStation Pescarolo C60/Judd '04

As I have said before, the Peskys are great cars, but they are not abnormally fast in GT4, and as proof, even on twisty circuit tracks, they do not produce the fastest lap times. What makes them great though is that they handle beautifully and so both A-spec and B-spec drivers can, and usually do produce more consistent lap times, and can stretch the life of their tires. In some of the races in GT4 this does help push the Peskys higher up in the rankings for those specific races, but overall there are several LM cars that will beat their times.

Back