Maybe dumb AI can make for a good close race - NY 200 miles

• Thread starter <_Spike_>
  • 8 comments
New York 200-Mile Endurance Race

Car used &#8211; Lotus Elise 190
BHP boosts &#8211; Racing Chip, Racing Exhaust
BHP &#8211; 197* (god knows where I got the original 205 from)

Starting Line Up &#8211;

Callaway C12
TVR Cerebra Speed Six
Dodge Viper SRT 10
Lotus MotorSport Elise
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Lotus Elise 190 (moi)

After reading a race report of this race with said Lotus, I decided that after failed attempts with the other 200pt car (the Honda HSC), I&#8217;d try this one. And I&#8217;m glad I did, it was the closest and toughest race I&#8217;ve fought yet. So without further a due, a stint-by-stint report.

Note &#8211; The only car that really troubled me was the TVR, so I won&#8217;t go on about the other cars unless I came into direct contact with them. And if you notice the word "break" anywhere instead of "brake", apologise, it's a habit >.<

Stint #1
Laps 1-19

Well it was a rolling start, and the first thing I noticed when the race was go was that the other 5 cars would completely rape me on the straights. This did leave just a third of the track to make good on trying to win this race. As we headed down to the first hairpin, I managed to out brake the Mustang, stealing 5th and chased down the 4th place Elise. One thing I&#8217;d noticed about the report from which I got the inspiration to do this race, was that all Lotus drivers seemed to have left their brakes at home when it came to the hairpin and the first of the 90deg turns. This was thankfully true, and as predicted the MotorSport Elise completely forgot its braking point and slammed into the barrier, allowing me to take 4th, and the Mustang behind to take 5th.

It was surprisingly evident that the tight corners were the key to winning this race, as two corners later I was drifting past the Viper into 3rd. A further corner more and I was in second and after the back straight, round the round-a-bout, I took first with surprising ease. Despite this &#8216;1 lap magic&#8217; moment, I refused to let it get to my head and quickly reminded myself this was just the first lap and I was a sitting duck on the straights. What would turn out to be my main rival, the TVR, managed to squeeze into 2nd and began chasing me down. It gained anything up to a second down the first and second straights, and I then gained anything up to a second and a half through the bends. The gap seesawed between 2-3 seconds, gradually adding a second to each side of the gap. At 8 seconds, it stabilised and the race seemed to settle into an even pace. From time to time I did get a little ragged and this would cost my a few tenths, but nothing to cry about as I could easily gain them back. Judging by the (Almost) Complete AI Guide to Pit Stops, I noticed that I could go around 5 laps longer then the TVR, but because of the TVR&#8217;s ability to catch up quickly I decided my pit stop strategy would be to pit the following lap, allowing for the gap to remain a fairly healthy (all things considered) 3-6 seconds, so I hoped.

During this stint, my fastest lap had been posted at a 1&#8217;47.562, actually only a tenth or two off what I did in the HSC on Sports Medium tyres in my other attempt. The gap did begin to decrease, rather rapidly as we entered lap 15 and my raggedness was becoming ever more present. I did however; manage to keep it at 3 seconds between us until lap 18, where the TVR finally dived into the pits. This was an in lap that had to beat anything I&#8217;d done before, and it was. Even with the dive into the pits I recorded a new lap record for myself of 1&#8217;47.347 and came out some 10 seconds ahead of the TVR, with the Dodge Viper in between us.

Stint #2
Laps 20-37

Stint 2 was much the same, with the Viper in 2nd and the TVR remaining (now) 12 seconds behind me in 3rd. The Mustang, Callaway C12 and MotorSport Elise completed the line up although they still had their first pit stops to make. On around lap 25, down the back straight, I noticed the TVR had turned into a bat out of hell, it had taken a good 7 seconds off the lead, and was now just tenths behind the Viper as I looked back, I prayed for the Viper to make a nuisance of itself and give me a bit of time to at least get round another lap to the turns. The TVR passed it with ease down the main straight, so it was back to normal and the gap again stabilised at around 3-4 seconds. On lap 28, the Viper took itself out of contention and came in for it&#8217;s first pit stop, whilst I drove up to the back of, and lapped the MotorSport Elise cleanly, which is what I prayed for as the gap had been brought down to a mere 2.2 seconds. That was about it on terms of action, as the gap remained and the TVR came in on lap 36. I myself came in a lap later, as planned, on lap 37 and came out still in first although just 7 seconds ahead this time.

Stint #3
Laps 38-55

Now things did begin to get tough, I was constantly on the edge as I couldn&#8217;t seem to get the gap much higher then 3 seconds for the first 4 laps of the stint. After the hairpin on lap 43, the TVR came rocketing up behind me, and I didn&#8217;t really expect it as I hit the brakes as always for the first right hander but was rather rudely shafted as the TVR slammed into the back of me and sent me into the barrier, taking 1st place for himself.:ouch:

The gap grew to 8 seconds between us and I had almost resigned myself to losing, but I thought I&#8217;d drive on until lap 50 and see what happens. Well, what happened was I kept the gap down and it never went higher then 10 seconds. Whatever being in second did to me, I wish it would happen again, on lap 49 I set another new fastest lap taking just over 3 tenths off my previous with a 1&#8217;47.062. The gap was just down to 5.5 seconds before we hit lap 54 and the TVR dived into the pits, so I again slammed on another hot in lap, albeit not fast enough to break into the 1&#8217;46&#8217;s. I retook the lead, and came into the pits after being 16 seconds ahead. I refuelled for the first time, just to give me enough gas to make it past 20 laps, as I knew I could win it. I knew the TVR required one last pit stop on lap 72 but I could go to lap 76 with plenty of fuel and tyre left over.

Stint #4
Laps 56-76

This was it, I shot out of the pits, but not quick enough and despite my efforts to block the TVR just brushed me aside as it hammered down the straight, but thankfully I was able to keep fairly close, and took him on the third turn in the 90deg turn sequence. This was most definitely game on, as I laid down the gauntlet and began to open up a lead of 5 seconds. The only traffic we encountered was the Mustang, Callaway and the MotorSport Elise again. I could see the TVR getting dangerously close on lap 60, and it looked like the same accident that lost me 1st place in S3 could happen again. So I decided on being a little more cautious and moved into the middle of the track, braking earlier, this allowed the TVR to go past and smash the barrier as I glided down the inside. The same situation followed on lap 62, except this time I seriously misjudged it and the accident did happen again! :nervous:

The TVR shot off and I gave chase, but I couldn&#8217;t seem to hit the form or lap times that I managed the first time, however, all was not lost as I was doing all I needed to do &#8211; Stay within 20 seconds and I&#8217;d take him on his final pit.

If only things were that simple, in a moment of distraction I let it slip on the hairpin at lap 67 and had no choice but to handbrake my car and slam into it side ways so I&#8217;d at least face the right way. My heart sunk in a realisation that I&#8217;d thrown it away in a moment of madness, as I passed sector one 12 seconds behind, and sector two 14 seconds behind. This gap slowly grew over the next couple of laps, reaching as high as 22 seconds on lap 69. I tried my hardest and gained confidence as over the next 3 laps before his pit stop I reduced the gap to 17 seconds, exactly what I needed**. He came in on lap 72 as scheduled and I retook the lead. Slowly building a gap of 15 seconds. I took my time to do the last 4 laps sensibly and without throwing it away. Encountering only the MotorSport Elise one last time I took the chequered flag on lap 76 winning by an eventual 10.777 seconds.

** Btw at this point...I was naturally shouting COME ON! at the screen

Final Results &#8211;

Lotus Elise 190
TVR Cerebra Speed Six
Dodge Viper SRT10
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Callaway C12
Lotus MotorSport Elise

Credits &#8211; 250,000
A-Spec Points - 200
Nerves &#8211; Completely ****ing Shot
Palms &#8211; Rather Sweaty

Excellent job <_Spike_>! Sounds like a suitably thrilling encounter!
Love your comments about your nerves and palms at the end of the race! :lol:
+ REP 👍

Thank ya muchly, it certainly did have me on the edge of my seat, I actually very nearly fell off it ^.^;;

I would certainly welcome another race like that, just hopefully, not too soon. Need some kind of recovery 'sunday drive' time lol

Very nice report <spike>, I might do an endurence write up if I can ever be bothered.........

+REP!

Couple more of these
check.gif
and you'll have a 'Quality Posts' badge. ;)

Nice write up. :cheers:

Back