• Thread starter AMG.
  • 9 comments

AMG.

Staff Emeritus
Netherlands
NL, Leiden
GTP_AMG
Close racing
Recently I’ve been spending a lot of time in Germany. Specifically the Nurburgring.
I’ve 'avoided' this track for a very long time (over a year). Yes I did have some half hearted attempts to stay on the track in the past but could only win if I took a gun to a knife fight. Well a gun is actually a bit of an understatement.
But I’m 'forced' to run the Nurb as I need the A spec points badly if I ever hope to reach my 1st goal of 100.000.

So after conquering the Nurb in various other Races with points between 112 and 200 I badly needed to complete another series.

Extreme Events - Real Circuit Tours - Nurburg (last race)
Suzuka - Motegi - Tsukuba - Laguna - Infineon - Fuji 05 - Sarthe I - Nurb

I’d cleaned up this series easily with the Chapparal for 200 points. Only race eluding me was the Green Hell.
So I softened the Chap and heightened it’s ride but after 3 attempts I gave up. I have no tuning skills, the car is fast oh so fast but I can’t keep it in check at all on this track. It has 671 bhp and a PWR of 1.224.

I proceeded to B-spec one or two races and saw a Nissan GTR Concept something come in 3rd and I also observed which fast cars would pit or not.
I went back to my garage and took out the Nissan Fairlady Z Concept LM. I really like this car, it behaves well. The bhp is 610 (in garage), has done 2440 miles and 'sports' a PWR of 1.837. I knew then that this would be a 200 pointer, IF I managed to win.
It’s a 2 lap race and you can’t qualify.

Settings
Stock, R3 and NOS
Softened the springs (as if I know what I’m doing here :scared: )
Heightened the car

The Grid
Camaro LM Race Car
Gillet Vertigo
Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car
MB CLK-GTR
Nissan R390 GT1
Nissan Fairlady Z Concept LM race car

The race starts and soon I’m lagging behind due to the fact that I haven’t figured out yet how to negotiate the first couple of Sses that lead up to the dip and the following jump. (Hatzenbach-Hocheichen)
However by the time I get to Kallenhard 6.3km marker (between T3-T4) I manage to overtake the Camaro:) , I can see the R390 just ahead. With the Jag in 1st place I’m now trailing by 21 seconds. Near Klostertal (11km near T6) I manage to overtake the R390 :) and stay ahead of him (just) all the way to the start finish line.👍

rctnurb1mj0.jpg

The CLK GTR in 3rd place has pitted and he stays in the pit for another 10 seconds whilst I cross the finish line to start lap 2. The R390 and the Camaro also pit.

I’m now in 3rd place and the Gillet and Jag are in front of me.

rctnurb2hu0.jpg

Now if I can keep my :cool: I may be able to catch them too. From previous experience I know they’ll take up ballet lessons on the 2nd lap.:)

Sure enough I pass the Gillet at Schwedenkreuz (3km near T2) as he pirouettes of in to the kitty litter and I soldier on to catch the Jag.
By the time I reach Wehrseifen (7.2km near T4) his front wheels just make it back to the pavement and I managed to swerve by nicely.

Meanwhile the CLK-GTR has caught up and he’s hot, very hot on my tail.:nervous:
I’ve gone through half a bottle of NOS on lap 1 on the long straight between Dottinger Hohe and Antoniusbuche (T10-T11), so I need to resist using the remainder until I pass T10 again.
By the time I reach Schwalbenschwanz (16.6km T9) my front tyres are bright orange:ouch: , the rears are fine.👍 At Dottinger Hohe, 0.76s in the lead, I hit the NOS which quickly dissipates (too fast for my liking) and manage to build up a bit of a lead (2 secs) on the CLK-GTR. However the section between Tiergarten and Hohenrain is somewhat tricky, come in too fast and I may spin out or miss the tight righthander and end up on the grass wasting precious time.
The CLK manages to come up fast in that last section but by the time I cross the finish line I have extended to a huge lead of only 1.680 seconds.

rctnurb3wx5.jpg

Another 200 in the bag.:)
Phew, what a close race that was.

End result
Nissan Fairlady Z 13.27.397 (6.44.585 & 6.42.218)
CLK-GTR 13.29.077
R390
Jag
Camaro
Gillet

Map

Hope you enjoyed!

AMG.

Another great Write-Up! It's certainly up to Smallhorses' standards. :)

Which reminds me - I need to update my Race Reports thread...

G.T
Another great Write-Up! It's certainly up to Smallhorses' standards. :)

Wow! Compliments indeed! :embarrassed:
Looks like we've raised the race reports bar another notch here, an excellent job AMG.! :cool: Great pictures of AI cars in unorthodox positions! :P

Hmm... sounds like I need to get back on the Nurb. I haven't won (nor attempted) a single A-spec victory on it. Only the IA licence bronze...

Great writeup. Just where the heck did this bottle of nitrous pop in?

Gingiba
Hmm... sounds like I need to get back on the Nurb. I haven't won (nor attempted) a single A-spec victory on it. Only the IA licence bronze...

Great writeup. Just where the heck did this bottle of nitrous pop in?

G.T thanks for the update in your referral thread.👍 Appreciated.
SH, yes we do seem to have raised the bar, lets hope others follow suit.👍

Gingiba, I installed it under the hood.

Nah you meant where can you use NOS on the Nurb. I used it very sparingly on the section between T5 and T6 but most was used on T10 to T11. It was there where I needed to catch up with the very much faster AI and the only place to use it safely.

I feel another Nurb write up following soon for 200. and this time the Rabbit AI didn't do ballet :nervous: .

AMG.

Latest Posts

Back