• 72 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
As many of you have already noticed, I have been making a few minor changes to the GTPlanet Forums. As promised, here's a quick run-down on what is new and what has changed:
  • Signatures are now automatically limited to 300 characters and 6 lines. Also, the quote and alignment tags will no longer function in signatures and there is a maximum font size of 1 (this allows you to create text smaller than the default size, but not larger). It's OK if your current signature does not fall under these limitations - these changes will simply be applied the next time you edit your signature. I am sorry that many of you will miss the alignment tags, but give the new changes some time. As time goes by and everyone's signatures have been updated under the new rules, I believe you'll appreciate the neat-and-tidy, more readable and usable appearance. Also, when all signatures have a smaller font size than the post, the left aligned text will not distract you when reading through a thread. Remember, the center of attention when looking at a post should be the message - not the signature! :)
  • The new multi-quote feature allows you to automatically quote multiple posts in one thread! Just click on the little green button next to the "Quote" link of any post in a thread. It will instantly change to a check mark, and when you click on that Quote link or "Post Reply", each post that you "checked" will be quoted for you automatically in the post composition box! :)
  • When viewing a list of threads in the forum, you'll see a little paperclip to the right of the thread name section if any posts in the thread have attachments. Now you can click on that paperclip to view all of those attachments and their statistics and info.
  • You'll get a Private Message inbox quota warning sent to your email address when your box is 90% full.
  • When sending PM's, you now have a BCC field which functions just like email. Members entered into that field will still get the PM, but the users in the "To" field will not be able to see the BCC names.
  • You can double-click on the little folder icon on the forum home page to automatically mark that forum as "read".
  • When viewing quoted text in a post, you'll notice a little comment bubble icon. This will link you directly to the quoted post for reference.
  • When using the Quick Editor to edit your posts, you can enter the reason for editing. This reason will be displayed next to the "Edit" information below your signature in the post.
  • Notifications sent to you by email for thread subscriptions, notifications, etc. can now be unsubscribed to with one click of a special link now included in these emails. You no longer have to log into your account and manually unsubscribe.
  • When entering usernames, you'll notice more auto-complete options which automatically try to guess the username that you are entering. This is most evident on the search pages and when composing a PM.
A few major changes have also occured to the way we moderate the forums. Each user now has a number of infraction points on a scale between 0 and 30. Moderators now have the option of giving an "infraction" to bad posts, with typical infractions (flaming, attacking another user, posting illegal content, etc.) awarding the user 10 points. Keeping in line with our historical three-strikes-and-you're-out policy, once a user has acquired 30 points they are automatically banned. For special circumstances, moderators have the option of awarding more points for very serious infractions, or awarding less for extremely minor ones. Additionally, the moderator can simply issue a warning for an infraction, without awarding the user any points. All warnings and infractions are logged in a private forum for discussion and review by msyelf the entire moderation staff.

This is essentially the way we have always done things here, in terms of moderation. Now, though, the system is entirely automated and much more organized. These new features should make our world-class moderation team even more efficient and effective at keeping our favorite forums clean, organized, and fun while also being fair and just.

With that said, enjoy the new features and please let me know if you have any questions (which I'm SURE you guys do!). :)

👍

Glad it's all up and running! :)

I realise that the size of GTP made what should have been an easy process ridiculously hard. All i can say is good on you for staying with it through to the other side, and not abandoning the upgrade and going back to 3.5.4 (which i probably would have :P). :cheers:

Would it be possible to change the location of the Edit notification (like "Last edited by Jon. : Today at 10:44 AM.") to where it was (above the sig without the long line)?

Also, would the mods notify you if you receive infraction points?

Yes, Duck, I moved the edit note. And yes, you will receive a PM every time you receive a warning or infraction.

Good stuff Jordan, I don't know how you do it, but somehow you do, and we love you for it!

Yes, Duck, I moved the edit note.

Well... not to nag at you... but that's not what I was thinking of.

Here it is now:

fghjgfhum7.png

Here it is what it was like before the vB 3.6 update, and what I was envisioning:

fghjgfh.jpg

Duck

Haha, Duck, I don't know what's more amazing - all the modifications I made to the old default style, or you guys remembering every single one of them! :lol: You should have your green edit notes above the line now. :P

Haha, Duck, I don't know what's more amazing - all the modifications I made to the old default style, or you guys remembering every single one of them! :lol: You should have your green edit notes above the line now. :P

Phew, thanks dude. It will make my GTP browsing a lot nicer... :D

The only way to lose an infraction is to have it reversed manually by a moderator.

The only way to lose an infraction is to have it reversed manually by a moderator.

I think what he means is this.

I curse out a moderator. I get 15 infraction points. How long would I have to be "clean" (like, be perfect and all) to lose most of those points? At what point do I prove to the mods that I can have some of my points deducted?

As long as you ask for ideas/suggestions, and as long as you have members, there will ALWAYS be one or two who remember most if not every little thing about the site, and will constantly remind you of this fact. ;) :lol:

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to see how many infraction points we have?

Keep a count.

Other than that I doubt a mod will look for you because it would be hell if everyone asked, and do for one, do for all you see.

Or just don't piss them off and give them a reason to hit you with a warning.

👍 Well said.

I like the speech bubble in a quote a lot as well as the multi-quote, because I often find myself rooting for a quoted post in certain deeper discussions and debates to see if the quote was taken out of context or not.

Back