Roadster 4hr Endurance

• Thread starter FLK
  • 4 comments

FLK

United Kingdom
UK
FLK_255
Urgh Tsukuba! I hate this track as it's boring as hell in anything below 280bhp and to top it off there's 4 hours of it as well, yuk! My car is a used VR-Limited (NA,J) '95 in a gastly shade of purple, I really hope GT5 has a respray shop in it. With 132bhp to play with after changing the oil and strapping on some Sports Hards along with a chassis refresh I'm read to go. Making sure that the RS 1800 is in the lineup, as I've read it's the only challenger in the event off we go!

Grid Line Up:

Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited (NA,J) '97
Mazda MX-5 1.8 RS (NB,K) '98
Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA,J) '95
Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB,J) '00
Mazda MX-5 VR-Limited (NA,J) '95
Mazda MX-5 VR-Limited (NA,J) '95 (Me)

Race Report

Hour 1

The first 3 laps consisted of me outbraking the field into the corners, which wasn't that difficult. By lap 7 I'm 8 seconds ahead and it looks like an easy win already, though the RS 1800 was still being held up behind the third placed car waiting to be released.

By lap 11 I set another fast lap and I'm not far off breaking into the 1'11s as I'm continue to chase down my lap times. The second place car is already 16 seconds back. By lap 14 I squeeze a 1'11.482 out of my car as I continue to see just how much speed can be taken through that final corner. With the RS 1800 still stuck behind the third placed runner I pressed on with building up a larger gap. On lap 16 I'm about 24 seconds ahead and it seems the RS 1800 has been released as on the map the third placed dot is now racing up on to the tail of the second placed MX-5.

By the next lap, lap 17, the RS 1800 is into second placed, now the heat is definetly on! So much for a boring race as well. :) By lap 25 the RS 1800 has cut my lead by 9 seconds and with my tyres starting to go I pitted at the end of lap 27, which I also decided to change to Sports Medium due to the lack of pace on Hards. I exited 13.7 second behind the RS 1800, looks like I'll have my work cut out if I am to win this, especially with a pitstop deficit to contend with as well! :nervous:

The RS pitted at the end of lap 36 19 seconds ahead, as I passed the line I reclaimed 1st place after having another bad lap. It was looking difficult at the moment as the sports mediums weren't making much impact so far and the wear rates on the other cars seemed stupidly much better than my lighter and less powerful car. The RS rejoined under 5 seconds behind me, hopefully I'd be able to make good on time while it was on cold tyres.

As the other MX-5's began to pit on lap 39 I was hoping I could gain an advantage as the AI is known to not be as good at lapping slower cars and from what I'd seen especially on this track where the AI can struggle. On lap 46 as the last MX-5 pitted in the gap was a much healthier 20 seconds as the RS 1800 was bogged down in traffic allowing me to pull out a lead.

Passing the first hour mark I had a 22 second lead over the RS 1800, with my front left a deep orange I'd be pitting soon, but with the gap I had I reckoned I'd be out ahead still after my stop, the traffic was certainly going to be a big help here.

Hour 2

I stopped on lap 52 with a badly worn left front tyre, the RS 1800 had taken 4 seconds out of my lead that lap after now getting clear of any backmarkers. I came out 6 seconds behind the RS 1800 and inevitably lost time while my tyres warmed up.

I managed to hold the gap to 8 seconds until lap 64 when I made a few mistakes, luckily I managed to still be under 10 seconds behind the RS 1800 by lap 66. On lap 69 the RS 1800 hit traffic and the gap began to fall, unfortunately my tyres were also beginning to wear. The RS 1800 pitted the following lap coming out 19 seconds behind me but with nothing behind me it came out in clear air, hopefully the other MX-5's ahead of me were near to pitting so the RS 1800 wouldn't be all alone. ;)

I made my third stop on lap 77 some 25 seconds ahead of the RS 1800, hopefully I'd come out in front this time allowing me to at least hold back the RS 1800 until I hit traffic again. To my delight the RS 1800 followed me into the first corner after exiting the pit lane, now I just had to hold him off until his next pitstop. By lap 81 I was actually pulling away and the gap was up to 4.5 seconds, mind you the state of this paint job and the clashing cream roof would put anyone off. :D As I ended lap 83 I encountered some traffic and with the gap up to 7.4 seconds I needed to get past the two MX-5's quickly. A backmarker ahead pitted and to my amusement emerged in front of the RS 1800 as it started lap 85. Things seemed to be going for me at the moment as I also set a new best lap.

On lap 91 the RS 1800 was back in clear air as the backmarker between us pitted. I was setting high 1'10s and low 1'11s now consistantly, hopefully it would be enough to maintain the 17 second gap that had now built up.

By lap 100 the second hour was just about to end and I was still 17-18 seconds ahead of the RS 1800 despite having to lap 3 backmarkers. With the front left tyre beginning to wear thin again I'd need to pit in the next lap or two and I would also have to take on fuel for the first time in the race.

Hour 3

I pitted on lap 102 having lost 3 seconds to the RS 1800, luckily the RS was also hitting traffic which hopefully would slow it down and allow me keep in touch. As I passed the first time spilt I was 11 seconds behind and I'd have to work to catch the RS 1800. At the end of lap 105 after reducing the gap to just 6 seconds the RS 1800 pitted after being stuck behind one of the backmarkers and came out around 19 seconds behind me. The RS 1800 seemed to drop pace as by lap 118 I was 33.4 seconds ahead though as my tyres began to wear it would probably close in again before I pitted.

On lap 127 I made another scheduled stop for tyres with the RS 1800 31 odd seconds back. I knew I was due to lose a pitstop to the RS 1800 by the end of the race as well so it was important to keep my pace up during the last hour and a half to ensure a win. I exited the pits 4.6 seconds ahead of the RS 1800 and with a clear road ahead I'd need to push hard for this stint. By lap 134 the RS 1800 was right behind me (1.5s) and was closing in about two tenths a lap, luckily traffic was approaching ahead and hopefully I could reclaim some time while we both lapped the backmarkers. As I lapped the first of the backmarkers across the finish line to start lap 137 I'd pulled the gap back to 2.6 seconds after hitting some low 1'11s, now with a backmarker between us I could try to further extend the gap. Unfortunately by the time I'd started the next lap the RS 1800 had already cleared the backmarker but I'd gained a second and another backmarker was close ahead. To my relief the RS 1800 pitted on lap 141 some 4 seconds back, now I could also push out some more of the gap while it was on cold tyres!

As I reached the final hour I had pulled out 10 seconds on the RS 1800 since it had left the pits on lap 142 over 30 seconds behind me. With traffic ahead of the RS 1800 I should be able to make some more time on it before my next stop.

Hour 4

About 4 minutes into the last hour I pitted on lap 152 for tyres and fuel some 40 seconds ahead of the Rs 1800. I'd exit into clear road as well and with the RS 1800 negotiating backmarkers it was looking good so far.

By lap 170 it was getting a touch close the RS had closed to 10 seconds behind me and I was struggling to stay in the low 1'11s, worst still the two backmarkers between us decided to pit! I worked out we'd both need to pit on lap 177 as well meaning this could go right down to the wire. I was starting to think about when to pit as I could probably get away with pitting early on lap 175 before my tyres started to go bad as I usually lost some time 2 laps before my normal schedule. As long as I was in front after the last pitstop I could win.

On lap 175 the gap was down to 8 seconds, with my left front tyre nearly gone I pitted early taking on my last set of tyres and fuel, to my surprise so did the RS 1800. At least I wouldn't have to worry about him leap frogging me.

As I completed my outlap the RS 1800 was only 6 seconds back, this was going to be close! I met a backmarker on lap 178 but managed to get past quickly out braking it into the final hairpin, the gap was now 8 seconds to the RS 1800.

The gap had increased to 12 seconds by lap 182 but a backmarker came out of the pits in front of me and I didn't get past until the final hairpin losing me some time, at least the RS 1800 also had traffic problems. The RS 1800 broke clear on lap 188 and then the gap stopped growing at 18.2 seconds. By lap 190 the RS 1800 was starting to cut into the gap, worst yet my front left tyre was starting to turn yellow with still ten minutes of racing to go. A few laps later with five minutes to go my tyres seemed to be holding as did the gap having only lost 2 more seconds, with traffic ahead I could probably make the finish without many problems.

By lap 199 the RS 1800 was only 10 seconds back and as I crossed the line I was only five seconds off four hours completed, oh well another lap for the road! :D

Guess I was wrong about a boring race, that was close. Switching to sport mediums early on saved the win despite having a disadvantage with pitstops. Other than that some hard driving was required to keep the RS 1800 in check. For my efforts I won 100,000 credits, 76 A-spec points and a Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car '01.

Final Results:

Laps Completed: 200

1st: Mazda MX-5 VR-Limited (NA,J) '95 (Me)Time: 4:01'06.260
2nd: Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB,J) '00 Time: - 9.336s
3rd: Mazda MX-5 SR-Limited (NA,J) '97 Time: -4 laps*
4th: Mazda MX-5 1.8 RS (NB,K) '98 Time: -5 laps
5th: Mazda MX-5 VR-Limited (NA,J) '95 Time: -6 laps*
6th: Mazda MX-5 S-Special Type I (NA,J) '95 Time: -6 laps*

Time marked by * denote my best guess based on map overlay position or rough estimate.

Best Lap: 1'10.626 (Lap 110)
Pitstops (laps): 7 (27,52,77,102,127,152,175)
A-Spec Points: 76

Another toptastic report, mate! 👍 Also rep worthy, but alas, I've only just been able to give your Infineon report +rep, so it'll have to wait a while!
Keep up the good work, and enjoy the satisfaction of another endurance well done! :D
You should make a single thread link dump for all your reports like I did here, or PM G.T to have him make sure he adds a link to this and the rest of your reports to the sticky thread at the top of this board! :)

Great write up.. But what color did you win? I just b-speced this wile at school to get another color and got Yellow! I'm happy now, cause yesterday, i was trying to get as many yellow cars as possible, cause theres not many of them!

Another toptastic report, mate! 👍 Also rep worthy, but alas, I've only just been able to give your Infineon report +rep, so it'll have to wait a while!
Keep up the good work, and enjoy the satisfaction of another endurance well done! :D
You should make a single thread link dump for all your reports like I did here, or PM G.T to have him make sure he adds a link to this and the rest of your reports to the sticky thread at the top of this board! :)

Thanks. I've never really seen the point of doing a thread for my endurances when they're all referenced in GT's thread, which is just as good. :)

Master_Yoda
Great write up.. But what color did you win?

I won a Red RX-7 but not really bothered about it's colour to be honest. :)

Good writeup flk. +rep. 👍
I scrolled slowly thru the post not wanting to see the end before I got there whilst reading.
You've got more patience than I have. Just for 76 points, no way I'd do that.
I tested this race, must agree, absolute boredom. Quit the race early, however I'll have to run it :grumpy: if I'm to get to 100000 aspecs.:)

AMG.

Back