HDMI v1.3 = One More Reason to get the PS3

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
The HDMI Licensing Group have finally announced the final specs for version 1.3, and now both versions of the PS3 are likely to include it:

Higher speed:

HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

Deep Color:

HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
  • Lets HDTVs and other displays go from million of colors to billions of colors.
  • Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors.
  • Enables increased contrast ratio
  • Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white
  • At 30-bit pixel depth, a four times improvement would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more.
Broader color space:

HDMI 1.3 removes all limits on color selection
  • Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
  • Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately
  • Enables displays with natural, vivid colors
  • New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
Lip Sync:

Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic video/audio synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.

New lossless audio formats:

In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

The seven HDMI Founder companies (Hitachi, Matsushiata (Panasonic), Royal Philips Electronics, Silicon Image, Sony, Thomson, and Toshiba) today released a major enhancement of the High-Definition Multimedia Interface™ (HDMI™) specification, the de facto standard digital interface for high definition consumer electronics. HDMI 1.3 will enable the next generation of HDTVs, PCs and DVD players to transmit and display content in billions of colors with unprecedented vividness and accuracy.

The HDMI 1.3 specification more than doubles HDMI’s bandwidth and adds support for Deep Color technology, a broader color space, new digital audio formats, automatic audio/video synching capability (“lip sync”), and an optional smaller connector for use with personal photo and video devices. The update reflects the determination of the HDMI founders to ensure HDMI continues evolving ahead of future consumer demands.

The update arrives at a time of strong momentum for the HDMI standard. HDMI Licensing, LLC today announced that more than 400 makers of consumer electronics and PC products worldwide have adopted HDMI. Market researcher In-Stat expects 60 million devices featuring HDMI to ship in 2006.

“PLAYSTATION®3 will be the most advanced computer platform for enjoying a wide range of entertainment content, including the latest games and HD movies, in the home,” said Ken Kutaragi, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. “By introducing the next-generation HDMI 1.3 technology, with its high speed and deep color capabilities, PS3 will push the boundaries of audiovisual quality to the next level of more natural and smoother expression on the latest large flat panel displays.”

"HDMI is an established cornerstone for the whole High Definition TV industry and Philips is extremely pleased to see such significant improvements for picture and sound quality with this new version,” said Johan van de Ven, CTO and Senior Vice President of Philips Consumer Electronics. “We look forward to continuing to work with other HDMI Founder companies to extend the scope of HDMI across new devices and applications, while remaining entirely committed to ensuring full backward compatibility with existing products."

With the adoption of Deep Color and the xvYCC color space, HDMI 1.3 removes the previous interface-related restrictions on color selection. The interface will no longer be a constraining pipe that forces all content to fit within a limited set of colors, unlike all previous video interfaces.

👍 👍

The only advantage of HDMI 1.3 is if you have a HDMI 1.3 compatible receiver which would let you connect the PS3 to it and transprot hi-def video and multi-channel audio like Dolby 5.1 Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD over it. I don't know of any HDMI 1.3 receivers, and 99.99% of people with PS3s will probably not have one anytime soon. Plus the fact that at the moment no Blu-Ray movies come with Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD/DTS-HD Master. They only come with PCM 5.1 Uncompressed.

And the image quality improvements are more PR talk/theoretical increases. You won't really see a difference. Just like your average person can't see the difference betwene using component cables and DVI or HDMI cables. The different between those 2 is like 5% at best, and that's analog to digital. Besides, if you want best theoretical PQ, you need to use SDI, which the PS3 won't have.

I doubt anybody here can afford the benefits HDMI 1.3 will bring. And, if they could, I'd doubt they'd spend a penny on it.

Afford it *now*.

3-4 years from now, while the PS3 is still in it's prime, people will, and where will every other console be? Without HDMI 1.3...

Where to begin....

The only advantage of HDMI 1.3 is if you have a HDMI 1.3 compatible receiver which would let you connect the PS3 to it and transprot hi-def video and multi-channel audio like Dolby 5.1 Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD over it.
That's like saying the only advantage of component is if you have a receiver with a component input. Or the only advantage of gasoline is if you have a car that can use it. :rolleyes:

I don't know of any HDMI 1.3 receivers
Again, obvious... as they only just finalized the specs. That's like saying you didn't know of any Dolby Digital receivers with optical audio inputs, or with DTS processing prior to their release. Yet, after they came out they very quickly dominated the market.

In addition, all the major AV companies, many of who are directly involved in the development of HDMI have been waiting on HDMI 1.3 and expect to have several products (displays, receivers, processors, A/V switchers, etc)available after CEDIA and before CES.

and 99.99% of people with PS3s will probably not have one anytime soon.
You wont find any industry analysts backing you up on that prediction any time soon. That's what a lot of outsiders said about Dolby Digital receivers, saying that the vast majority of consumers will be content with Dolby Surround... we all know how long that lasted. :)

Plus the fact that at the moment no Blu-Ray movies come with Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD/DTS-HD Master. They only come with PCM 5.1 Uncompressed.
Which is actually theoretically even better, as it too is a lossless format without any compression. The problem is that it takes up more disc space.

However, again, because HDMI 1.3 was not available yet, there was no reason to. Now that it will be, expect this to change. In fact, if you read press releases from the major film studios backing Blu-ray (all but Universal), they are anxiously waiting for HDMI 1.3 so they can take advantage of the new compressed HD formats.

And the image quality improvements are more PR talk/theoretical increases. You won't really see a difference.
Really? Have you seen 1080p video transmitted through HDMI 1.3 that would support your statement?

Just like your average person can't see the difference betwene using component cables and DVI or HDMI cables. The different between those 2 is like 5% at best, and that's analog to digital.
There is a big difference between not "seeing" , and not "caring about" the difference in PQ. But if you have some actual data to back that statement up, I’d certainly like to see it.

The other problem with your assessment is that it is likely based on watching source material that component is able to handle, and under the best conditions where there is no signal interference and no D/A (digital to analog) converter issues.

The reality is that the majority of all media is now digital, and analog cable has serious limitations, where as digital cable, especially HDMI 1.3 has far fewer limitation, and can transmit the digital data without any digital to analog back to digital conversions which component cable requires. If your source material is digital, then almost immediately any analog cable, like component is already going to compromise the PQ.

While there should be very little difference between the two when comparing the analog video from a PS2, TV broadcast & cable, and even DVD due to its low resolution. The differences become huge when comparing 1080p (not interlaced) via digital cable, where the digital source never is converted to analog, versus component, with a display that has a native resolution of the source material.

Now that 1920x1080 displays are quickly growing in numbers, and with the costs plummeting, 1920x1080 displays with HDMI 1.3 will be just as popular as 1280x720 displays with component where just a few years ago.

Anyone who has had even the slightest interest in home theater, and the new HD formats, knows that HDMI 1.3 has been one of the most anticipated and talked about new developments, and will have an immediate impact on the industry and mid to high-end consumer A/V products.

That said, there is nothing wrong with being happy with what you have, and if you are happy with component, and the quality of image you get from it with your particular equipment, and aren’t interested in the new HD A/V formats, then you are in good shape.

Me personally, being a film enthusiast, even 1920x1080 HD video isn't good enough for me. I am really looking forward to the future when products that support 4K+ (3840x2160 - over 24 times the resolution of DVD) video, like displays, HTPC's, players, and processors continue to infiltrate the market place as these will hopefully motivate the studios and video game producers to eventually release their products in 4K.

That's like saying the only advantage of component is if you have a receiver with a component input. Or the only advantage of gasoline is if you have a car that can use it.

Now thats classic.

Anyway. There are 1080p TV's for less that $1500 I've seen in 37in 8ms(very importaint). 37in is very nice TV size, I know my friend has one, older model but it does support 1080p via vga or dvi. Newer model has hdmi, but its not capable of 1080p with component.

This isn't about a TV that has HDMI 1.3. That's pretty useless. You need an AV receiver with HDMI 1.3.

I don't see any of you buying a brand new $1000+ receiver anytime soon just for HDMI 1.3. By anytime soon, I mean the next 2 to 3 years.

The HDMI 1.3 spec already exists. I don't know of any TV's with HDMI 1.3 (though it's pretty useless on a TV). It's only really useful if you have an AV receiver with HDMI 1.3 inputs so that you can carry 1080p video and lossless multi-channel audio over 1 cable. But there doesn't even exist a HDMI 1.3 receiver at this point, and they will prolly be expensive when they come out.

The HDMI 1.3 spec already exists. I don't know of any TV's with HDMI 1.3 (though it's pretty useless on a TV). It's only really useful if you have an AV receiver with HDMI 1.3 inputs so that you can carry 1080p video and lossless multi-channel audio over 1 cable. But there doesn't even exist a HDMI 1.3 receiver at this point, and they will prolly be expensive when they come out.

True, but a few years after they come out, they'll be a lot cheaper and more popular.

I doubt anybody here can afford the benefits HDMI 1.3 will bring. And, if they could, I'd doubt they'd spend a penny on it.

Still, it pays to be relatively future-proofed.

Where to begin (again)....

This isn't about a TV that has HDMI 1.3. That's pretty useless. You need an AV receiver with HDMI 1.3.
Actually it would be useless without a TV that supports HDMI 1.3, not a receiver... unless you like playing movies and games without any video. ;)

For those who don't care about the new HD audio formats, they can use the HDMI to connect their sources (PS3, Blu-ray, etc) directly to the display or to an external AV switcher and then to the TV. They can then use the optical digital output from the same source to any current receiver and still get current Dolby Digital and DTS processing. In addition, for those who don't care about their audio, or feel their TV offers satisfactory sound, they will simply connect the HDMI directly to the TV without useing any external audio processing or receiver.

So no, you don't need a receiver or external processor with HDMI 1.3 to enjoy most of the advanatges this technology has to offer over previous verisons of HDMI and most importantly over component... which of course doesn’t even support any audio signals.

I don't see any of you buying a brand new $1000+ receiver anytime soon just for HDMI 1.3. By anytime soon, I mean the next 2 to 3 years.
Where are you getting these figures? The estimated cost to manufacturers to implement HDMI 1.3 support is said to be less than $25 per unit, with some estimates as low as $10 depending on the company and quantity. That said, anyone who is so particular about their audio whereby they don't feel the current audio formats are good enough isn't even going to wince at paying as much as $5,000 for a HD HDMI audio processor.

What you seem to fail to understand is that HDMI 1.3 main advantage is in offering unequalled picture quality, and that you don't need a receiver with HDMI 1.3 to take full advantage of those benefits.

You are just repeating yourself with the same misinformation that has already been explained to you why you are mistaken.

I suggest that you stop making claims about technology and products you have very little knowledge about because you are only passing on bad information to unsuspecting readers.

Still, it pays to be relatively future-proofed.
"Relatively" saved that comment, as there is no future-proof when it somes to technology.

But you already knew that.

when this HDMI 1.3 comes out, will prices on current HDTVs with HDMI drop?
Several companies who have been discussing their plans on releasing products with HDMI 1.3 have said that they will be making specific model announcements at CEDIA, which is next week.

Duċk;2410209
I just hope that there'll be some way to connect HDMI to an HDTV, and use headphones for the audio. :dopey:
No worries. As long as a display has a headphone jack, it can convert the HDMI audio signal and output via any standard headphone jack.

Speaking of headphones. For those that use them, I strongly recommend getting a display, pre-amp processor, or receiver that has Dolby Headphone support! It's absolutely amazing, and provides astonishingly realistic multi-channel effects. 👍

Well CEDIA is wrapping up, and there were countless product announcments with HDMI 1.3 support, including some very impressive new 1920x1080 displays.

Already there appears to be a price war with the latest 1920x1080 projectors between Sony's new Pearl SXRD projector and Panasonic's AE1000 LCD projector. Both should end up selling for around $4,000 (MSRP $5,000), certainly less after the initial rush of orders are completed.

It's amazing that in just three years, these $4,000 projectors are completely outperforming the state of the art $30,000+ projectors back then. 👍

It's a great time to be interested in new Home Theater equipment!

Back