Nurburgring 24hr A-Spec for 200 points - finished

• Thread starter CRXnut
  • 15 comments
A while ago I decided to complete the game in A-Spec mode only with 100000 points. This brought me today to the Nurburgring and I'm going to try for the maximum points. After about 7 diferent line ups I settle on these opponents:

Audi A4 Touring car
Opel Calibra Touring car
BMW M3 GTR Race car
Nissan C-West Razo Silvia
Nissan Falken GTR Race car

I'm taking them on in brand new Amemiya Mazda RX7. With 125kg of ballast and slightly lowered downforce and R1 tires this would give me 200 A-Spec points.

Hour 1.
I take advantage of AI not being able to drive on cold tires and get up to second place before the first lap is over. I stay about 3 seconds behind leading A4 until I make a mistake and crash. I get passed by the M3 and Skyline. Not knowing the track well I have couple more incidents before pitting at the end of 4th lap 40seconds behind the leading A4 and M3.
This is just the practice run so when I forget to change my tires to R2s I just circle around the short pit wall and pit again.
All this confusion costs me one minute and 4th place.
It looks like I can do 4 laps on R2s as well and I'm turning faster laps now (7:20).
Lap 6 - the M3 and A4 both pit and I find myself only 50seconds behind.
Lap 8 - I pass the Calibra for 4th place and pit at the end of the lap. When I come out I'm 1 minute and 10 seconds behind the leaders.
At this pace I don't have to restart the race and I should be able to catch them.

Hour 2.
on lap 11 I pass Skyline for the 4th place. The gap is down to 1:03 and I'm gaining about 2 secods per lap. The A4 and M3 pit on lap 12 and so do I. My main competitors are stopping every 6 laps, I do 4 lap stints. I get passed by the Skyline while pitting. Back to 4th place.
I'm not able to cut down the lead now. It looks like the A4 was being held up by a car lap down and he is clear and running fast ! I can only get about 0.5 second per lap back.
I pit again at the end of lap 16 and when I come out I'm 1:05 behind the Audi. If I keep doing this I will catch him in around lap 140 (about two thirds of the race !!!)
I wanted a close race but this might be too nerve wrecking ...

Hour 3.
Unable to close the gap any more I wait until lap 18 when the A4 and M3 pit again. A4 comes out of the pits only 31 seconds ahaead closely followed by the M3. Next two laps show how bad the AI is on cold tires and I get the gap down to 19 seconds at one point.
On the lap 20 after small mistake I get attacked by the Skyline. He is on the lead lap so only 22 seconds separate the first four aftere more than two hours ! I'm able to keep the Nissan behind me but actually lose some time to the leaders. +24"
After pitting on lap 20 I find myself down 48 seconds and I keep loosing time by making small mistakes.
On the lap 22 I'm still in 3rd place down by 53 seconds.

Hour 4.
Shortly after resuming from paused on lap 23 I messed up big time. I spun out and lost about 15 seconds. Seriously thinking about giving up.
Lap 24 - Audi BMW and me we all pit. I come out 55 seconds behind in 4th place. I'm catching up quickly on cold tires. On lap 27 the Audi catches up to Silvia but it doesn't slow him down. I pit on lap 28 some 37s behind.
Lap 30 - Audi and BMW both pit and when they come out they are just 17 seconds ahead and on cold tires.
Time to put the hammer down. Fastest lap of the race 7:15 flat
Lap 31 - I can see the BMW !!! Shortly after that I easily passed him while he still struggles with cold tires.
Lap 32 - I catch up to the A4 and touch his bumper - Hello ! :-) Unfortunately I set my gearing too low so I run out of revs when trying to draft-pass him and it's time for me to pit again

Hour 5.
When I come out of the pits I'm 20 seconds behind and in 3rd place again. for next three laps I'm only able to cut the lead down to 18. On lap 36 on worn tires the Audi driver runs into some trouble that costs him 8 seconds. Nice to see that I'm not the only one messing up :-)
Just before the pit entrance I find the M3 off the track, his tires must be shot too. All three of us pit.
I come out flying on cold tires in 2nd place only 8 seconds behind Audi. I catch him on the lap 38 where I take the lead for the first time after almost 5 hours of racing !!!
I start pulling away to 6 seconds only to be reeled back by the Audi. Under pressure from the A4 I make another mistake and spin out. I lost at least 9 seconds and the lead but stayed ahead of the M3.
My 300hp is no match to BMWs 450 so he passes me on the long straight before the end of lap 40 and I pit from 3rd place (+13s)

Hour 6.
I come out of pits 38 seconds behind. On lap 42 Audi catches some lap traffic but it doesn't slow him down ! He actualy uses his draft to pull ahead :-( and then he pits. I catch hih right after he comes out of pits and pass him right away. I build 10 seconds lead and when I come out of pits on lap 45 im 10 seconds down in second place. Slow laps 45-47, Audi pulls ahead another 5 secs. I close the gap down to 8 and we all pit on lap 48.

Hour 7.
Thanks to my mechanics and blazingly fast pitstop I come out of pits right behind the Audi and quickly pass him.
Two laps later I'm 17 seconds in the lead ! If I keep going like this I might stay ahead after next pit stop.
Ahm ... No ... I strated pushing too much and spun on lap 51. Lead down to 8 seconds.
Lap 52 - under pressure from Audi I spin again :-( and lose the lead.
Lap 53 - after the pit stop I'm half a minute behind the leader. This puts me back where I was three hours ago !!!
I slowly eat away the gap and I pass the BMW as he crashes again on worn tires at the end of lap 54.
Lap 55 Audi and the BWM come out of pits on cold tires again and I able to pass the A4 for the lead again and build a 10 second lead. It feels good to be in the front again.
At the end of the lap I notice something strange. I could only go about 230kph on the back straight. Couple hours ago I could almost hit the rev limiter in 6th gear at 260kph. WTF ???
One more lap and I'll check it out during pit stop. The car seems slow. The lead is down to 5 seconds. Then on the back straight again I figure out I have a problem with gas pedal. Even when pressed all the way down it only gives me about 90% of power.
I pit at the end of the lap and both my mechanics and me go to work :-)

Hour 8.
Gas pedal is fixed (Logitech DFP - known issue) and I come out of the pits 15 seconds behind Audi. Oh my god the car is quick now !!!
It only takes me 1.5 lap to catch up to the Audi who is stuck behind the Nissan Silvia.
Lap 59 - 7:10 I break the lap record by 5 seconds and I wasn't even trying ...
I'm having to learn the track again because the car is so much quicker now, there were some turns I could take flat out and now I have to slow down. I spin out couple of times but I'm still quicker than the Audi !
By the end of lap 60 I manage to pull ahead by 20 seconds and everyone (me A4 and M3) has to pit.
It looks like the rest of the race is gonna be boring. I'm gaining about 15 seonds per lap and at the and of lap 64 I'm 1:20 ahead
I'm going to switch back to R1s and try to stay out 5 laps

Hour 9.
I want my broken gas pedal back !!! This is boring :-)
Right, I decided to stay out for 5 laps but only had fuel for 4 and 3/4 :-) I ran out of fuel on lap 69 and lose about two minutes giving the lead back to Audi. It's not really a big deal now that I know I can catch him in few laps.
On the lap 72 I fight with the Audi at the end of the lap, he bumps me and we both crash. Funny thing is that he misses the pit entrance and runs out of fuel on lap 73 :-)

Hour 10.
That puts the A4 behind the M3 and the BMW takes the lead for the first time.
I'm keeping myself entertained by trying different pit strategies and tire combinations but always stay within 15 seconds of the BMW.
I follow him for couple of laps and find out that he is actually faster than the Audi but always crashes at the end of his 6th laps on worn tires.

Hour 11.
Much of the same. I settled on 5 lap pit strategy and R1 tires. I have no problem keeping the BMW about 20 seconds behind me. I'm not pushing hard at all. Audi doesn't seem to be closing the gap on the 2nd place BMW. I believe the Nissan Skyline is still on the lead lap, Calibra is one lap down and I lost count of the Silvia's laps (about 4 laps down)

Hour 12.
Everytime I decide to put some distance between me and the BMW I usualy end up spinning out. Fortunately I can count on the BMW's tires every 6 laps.
I thought I would be done with the race by now (48 hours elapsed since I started) but I also have a life besides GT4 :-)

Ok here we go. The second half.

Hour 13.
96 laps completed. I'm in the lead by 31 seconds over the BMW. Audi is another 2 or 3 minutes behind.
I'm going to try different pit strategies to keep it close

Hour 14.
I decided to stay with R1 tires until the end of the race. I'm getting the A-Spec points for using R1 tires so it would not be fair to cheat.
I can easily do 6 laps without driving too slow.
The M3 is still 20 seconds behind me.

Hour 15.
I tred to stay out for 7 laps and it worked ! The tires were dark orange but the car still handled well. If I drive like grandma I could do 8 laps for sure but I don't like driving slow.
I just confirmed the Nissan Skyline is still on the lead lap.
I Think that's amazing. After 15 hours of racing and 120 laps around the Ring - only 4 minutes separate first four places
BMW is 12 seconds behind, Audi about 2 minutes and the Skyline about 4 minutes

Hour 16.
I actually tried to stay out for 8 laps. Finished the lap on glowing red tires but only lost about 15 seconds. Not quite sure what to try to keep the race interesting. The lead is down to 5 seconds but I can always put down couple of fast laps to get away.

Hour 17.
Nothing exciting again. I'm about 5 minutes ahead of the Skyline. I should be able to lap him before the end of the race.
When I concentrate I can put down consistent sub 7:15 lap times. My best time on R2s is 7:09 (but the was not a very good lap). I believe the 7:11 on R1s is more impressive.

Hour 18.
I'm really tired now and that results in mistakes. I spin out couple of times and the one minute lead is quickly down to 10 seconds.
At the end of lap 144 I ran out of gas again and lose the lead and 31 seconds.
I promise myself that final 4 hours I will always refuel to the top :-)

Hour 19.
At least I got someone to chase.
Well, that didn't take long. I'm back in the lead after putting down 4 nice laps (all around 7:15)
There is more than 3000km on the odometer but the oil light didn't come on yet. Also I can only feel very little chassis weakening. The car seems a bit loose but nothing that would slow me down much.

Hour 20.
Not as good as last few laps. My lead is down to 10 seconds. I'm on 7 lap stint saving my tires. This should put me back in sync with the BMW at the end of the lap 162. From there I will pit every 6 laps together with the M3. Audi is still about minute and half behind me. It doesn't look like he will be able to close the gap.

Hour 21.
I actually pass the Nissan Skyline while he is in the pits but I will have to pit at the end of this lap so we will for sure get back in front.
Lap 163 after pit stops I'm 36 seconds ahead of the BMW and should be able to pull ahead on cold tires.
Lap 169 - my lead is almost a minute now. I'm clear of the Skyline as well. It looks like the end of the race is going to be lap 193.
3 hours to go

Hour 22.
Unless I do something stupid like forgetting to pit an running out of gas I should win this race from her. My lead is around one minute. I'm unable to increase it but it's not getting smaller either.
The BMW is catching up to the Skyline to lap him.

Hour 23.
I want to pull ahead to have safer margin but my lead is still one minute. At this point I'm becoming paranoid. We don't have electrical outages often but if it happens now I'm gonna jump out of the window (which would not be a good thing on the 18th floor).
I'm finally able to concentrate and put down another good lap (7:10). Also the M3 seems to be stuck behind the Nissan. By the end of the hour my lead is up to 1:30.

Hour 24.
The BMW finally passes the Nissan. I'm so excited about getting close that I can't really concentrate. I spin out couple of times and let the M3 close the gap down to 1:10.
Lap 192 is the last pit. I only take 10 liters as there is only three more minutes on the clock. Then on lap 193 the clock finally rolls over 24.
I'm driving really conservatively but the M3 lost time in the pits so I win the race by 1 minute 33 seconds !!!

Final results

1. Amemiya Mazda RX-7 - 24:04:11.306
2. BMW M3 GTR Race car +1:33 (last split)
3. Audi A4 Touring car +3 minutes (estimate)
4. Nissan Falken Skyline GTR +1 lap
5. Opel Calibra Touring car +2 laps
6. Nissan C-West Razo Silvia +10 laps (estimate, I lost count)

Final notes
It took me 5 days to finish the race, I was hoping for three.
Surprisingly it didn't feel that long. The Nurburgring is such a great track that it's hard to get bored.
First 7 hours were incredibly close racing until I fixed the gas pedal.
Will I do this again ? Yes but first I want to finish the game which means two more 24 hour races, 8 and 9 hour endurance race and 15 FGT races.

I know the second half of the report was not as detailed as the first, but there wasn't really that much going on.
Thanks for your support !

Yeehaw! Someone doing this event the way it was supposed to be done! All A-spec & looking for a challenge! 👍 Excellent job CRXnut, hope the result is a close but satisfactory victory! :nervous:
+Rep :)

Yeehaw! Someone doing this event the way it was supposed to be done! All A-spec & looking for a challenge! 👍 Excellent job CRXnut, hope the result is a close but satisfactory victory! :nervous:
+Rep :)

I actually wish I picked up even slower car (maybe the BMW 320 or Spoon 2000)
The only way I would ever use B-Spec would be running 24 hour race without pausing, alternating 3 hours turns with Bob

Nice work hope you win it. :) I've set myself to redo this for 200 A-spec points after I've got around to doing both Le Sarthe 24hrs in my black 787b. As Smallhorses said close racing is what endurance is all about if you want to get the most out of them. :D

FLK
Nice work hope you win it. :) I've set myself to redo this for 200 A-spec points after I've got around to doing both Le Sarthe 24hrs in my black 787b. As Smallhorses said close racing is what endurance is all about if you want to get the most out of them. :D

This car (Amemiya RX-7) would be just about perfect against Audi TT (about 6 seconds per lap quicker than the BMW).
Otherwise I can really recommend this line up. Only one slow car (Nissan Silvia C-West)

You will not switch to better tyres because it's 'cheating' but you'll drive against "the traffic" to pit again after exiting the pitlane.
That's classic. :) :)

You have me in hysterics with that one 👍 .

Great report!

AMG.

At that point I thought that was just practice run :-)
I'm not that crazy about winning cleanly. I remember reading race report where someone penalized himself for crashing the car by limping into pits and staying there for 20 minutes ...

Hey good job! and nice report.

(currently doing this race myself :D , good to see people are all for A-speccing such long races)

At that point I thought that was just practice run :-)
I'm not that crazy about winning cleanly. I remember reading race report where someone penalized himself for crashing the car by limping into pits and staying there for 20 minutes ...

Clean racing I try most of the time, but you know how dirty 200 point races can get sometimes.
Good write up and you won 200!! 👍

Your post gives me some reallly good info for when I am going to collect my 200.
+rep
AMG.

Wow, CRXnut, brilliant report!

And for a Twenty-Four hour race on a twelve mile track, winning by under two minuites is a very small margin.

+Rep from me aswell :) 👍.

Back