Tsukuba 9 hour endurance in Lotus Elise - 200 point race

• Thread starter CRXnut
  • 14 comments
After recovering from the 24 hour Nurburgring race I'm ready for the next challenge. If you ask me which track I hate the most I would have to say Tsukuba. I find it more boring than the SuperSpeedway.
So what am I going to bring to this Japanese track dominated by Japanese cars ? One of my favorite cars in the game - Lotus Elise. Let's see if this orange jewel from United Kingdom can embarrass the home teams.

I upgrade the car with racing exhaust, chip and NA Stage 1 to compete with these nearly 300hp monsters. S1 tires and 10 kilos of ballast weight will make it a 200 A-Spec point race.

Starting grid:

Subaru Legacy B4 2.0 GT
Honda NSX Type R
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII RS
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
Lotus Elise

Lap 1-5
I quickly jump ahead while the other drivers struggle with cold tires. By the end of the lap 2 I'm in the lead ahead of the Subaru who is being attacked by the NSX. At the end of lap 5 I'm 6 seconds ahead of the NSX.
Lap 5-10
I increase my lead to 10 seconds but the NSX is getting quicker by the lap
Lap 15
Leading by 11 seconds. The NSX is really quick ! There is a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd place.
Lap 20
The Legacy makes the first pit stop of the race. I'm in the lead by 10 seconds, The NSX is keeping up despite me setting lap records in high 1:03s.
Lap 23
The EVO pits, I'm still 10 seconds ahead but my tires are starting to go.
Lap 25
I try to enter the pits too fast so when the AI takes control it slides wide and misses the pit entrance costing me valuable 6 seconds !!!
Lap 26
On the second attempt I finally pit and lose another 25 seconds. I come out in 2nd place about 20 seconds behind NSX
Lap 30
The NSX on good tires pulls ahead while I fight for grip
Lap 33
The NSX finally pits leading by 25 seconds. Their pit stop was faster than mine ! He comes out 2 seconds ahead of me and there is a lap down Lancer stuck between us.
Lap 35
I pass them both to take the lead again and take advantage of Hondas cold tires.
Lap 37
The RX-7 pits while being almost a lap down. It looks like this race is going to be between me and the NSX
Lap 40
I lead by 13 seconds. It took the NSX really long to get some heat in those tires. The Subaru pits again
Lap 45
couple of quick laps in mid 1:03s and I increase my lead to 15 seconds
Lap 50
I settled on 25 lap pit strategy so it's time for fresh tires. I come out of the pits 9 seconds behind the Honda.
Lap 52
The NSX catches up to some lap traffic so I'm not losing too much time on cold tires
Lap 55
I'm up to speed now and closed the gap down to 8 seconds.
Lap 62
The NSX catches up to lap traffic
Lap 67
I get within 1 seconds of the Honda before he ducks in to pits. He comes out 24 seconds behind
Lap 71
I stretch my lead to 34 seconds
Lap 75
I make a pit stop but come out in the lead ! The NSX is 10 seconds behind me but stuck in lap traffic again
Lap 80-99
I'm unable to pull away. The NSX runs in the clean air again and it runs fast. When I try to push it I usually end up sliding wide and losing time. Still 10 seconds ahead.
Lap 100
I stop for tires and fuel as well for the first time. It looks like I use exactly 60 liters per 100 laps.
I come out 14 seconds behind but the NSX has to pit soon too.
Lap 102
... and he does. I lost some time on cold tires but still passed the Honda in the pits.
My lead is now 7 seconds.
Lap 106
I try to pass the Skyline but he pushes me wide at the final turn. I put two wheels on the grass and when I regain grip to both rear wheels it shoots me across the track through the cones into the pit lane !
I don't stop but the pitlane speed limit costs me the lead. The NSX is right in front of me and on cold tires.
Lap 108
I take the lead back
Lap 115
I'm stuck behind the Skyline again this time I'm really waiting for good opportunity to pass.
Laps 121-124
The Honda is stuck behind the Skyline now and loses ten second quickly
Lap 125
I pit with from 12 seconds lead to come out 12 seconds behind. NSX is now clear of the GT-R and pulling away.
Lap 136
The Honda pits and comes out only 4 seconds behind me
Lap 144
I'm 12 seconds in the lead and catch up to the Subaru. I pass him quickly and hope that he will slow the NSX down.
Lap 150
I make a pit stop and the NSX is in the lead by 10 seconds
Lap 162
My tires are up to optimal temperature but I can still only lap in mid 1:04s. What is going on ?
A lap later I find out I forgot to stop the pit crew from refueling and ended up with full tank ! This proves that GT4 is so realistic it actually considers weight of the fuel !
I'm down by 20 seconds
Lap 169
Lap traffic helps me to cut the margin down to 15 seconds and the NSX pits so I take 8 seconds lead.
Lap 175
I get passed in the pits. The Honda leads by 8 seconds
Lap 189
The Honda is dealing with some lap traffic so I don't lose any more time. Still 8 seconds behind
Lap 194
I catch the NSX right as he makes nice move on the Lancer. Very nice pass but I'm pretty sure they traded some paint in previous couple of laps
Lap 198
I retake the lead but my pit stop is coming up. The NSX is lapping in mid 1:04s
Lap 200
I lose the lead in the pits again and find myself 22 seconds behind.
Lap 203
NSX pits as well but stays ahead of me by 1 second !!!So for every 100 laps the Honda pits 3 times while I need 4 stops. This means that I actually lost about 8 seconds in last 101 laps. That's not good.
Lap 205
I pass the NSX with nice inside move under braking for turn four
Lap 217
I was able to extend my lead on cold tires to 10 seconds. The Elise handles really well. It is one of few cars that doesn't push under acceleration
Lap 225
I'm really strating to get sick of losing lead every time I pit. The Honda leads by 11
Lap 238
The NSX pits and comes out 6 seconds behind me
Lap 246
There is 4 hours and 30 minutes on the race clock. This is half time so I can predict the race will last about 492 laps. Based on the 100 lap pit cycle it doesn't look good. There is pretty good chance I'll be in second place after pit stop on lap 475. I might need to change my pit stop strategy.

Standings at half time:
Lotus Elise (me)
Honda NSX Type R +14 seconds
Mazda RX-7 Spirit + couple of laps
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII + couple of laps
Nissan Skyline GT-R + several laps
Subaru Legacy B4 + waaaay back

Lap 250
I lose the lead in the pits again. The NSX is 8 seconds on good tires but he is stuck behind the RX7 so I don't lose any more time over next 10 laps.
Lap 272
The Honda pits from 7 second lead
Lap 275
I gained another few seconds while the NSX struggled on cold tires and now I have to do a pit stop. I come out 4 seconds behind.
Lap 286
We were both on cold tires so the gap stayed about the same.
Lap 290
The NSX catches up to two slower cars but has absolutely no problem passing them both within one lap ! I'm actually having more problems passing them.
Lap 298
Another quick pass by the NSX. I can't believe it, I was counting on lap traffic to help me with my tire and power handicap.
Lap 300
I pit from 2nd place to come out 25 seconds behind.
Lap 306
The NSX pits after exending the lead to 27 seconds
Lap 308
I caught the Honda within two laps and outbrake him to turn one
Lap 325
I'm pitting from 15 second lead thanks to Lancer that slowed the Honda down.
Laps 326-340
I'm not concentrating well and keep making small mistakes. The NSX extends the lead to 20 seconds
Lap 340
He pits and loses the lead yet again. I'm 4 seconds ahead
Lap 350
I was able to take advantage of his cold tires to stretch my lead to 16 seconds but I have to pit again
Lap 360
NSX was stuck behind the RX-7 so I didn't lose much time
Lap 375
I actually got closer to the lead thanks to lap traffic and we both pit
Laps 376-385
I close the 6 second gap on cold tires but I just don't have the speed to pass the Honda
Lap 386
I try to pass him but he pushes me wide at the final turn and retakes the lead
Lap 400
I stayed 2 seconds behind the NSX and when I come out od pits I'm losing by 26 seconds !
Laps 401-407
I put down some really good laps despite cold tires and cut his lead down to 19 seconds
Lap 408
... so when he pits I get in the lead again (-7).
There is about hour and half left in the race and we both have to make 2 more stops. I should be able to win from here.
Lap 425
I continue to push and put down laps in high 1:03s so when I enter pits I'm 15 seconds ahead but still lose the 1st place by 5 seconds
Lap 442
NSX pits so I get back in the lead (-18 seconds)
Laps 443-449
I extend my lead to 24 seconds which should be enough to stay in front after the pit stop
Lap 450
Wrong ! I come out just behind NSX's rear bumper.
Laps 451-474
Some of the most exciting laps of the race. I trade places (and paint) with NSX but neither one is able to keep the lead for more than 2 laps
Lap 475
I'm glued to NSX's rear bumper and he peels of to the pits for the final stop. I decide to stay out for one more lap despite my tires losing grip
Lap 476
I do my last pit stop of the race and come out 2 seconds ahead of the NSX !!
Laps 277-490
I'm much faster on cold tires so I have no problem pulling away.
Lap 491
The clock rolls over 9 hours and I win the race by 8 seconds.

Final standings:

1. Lotus Elise
2. Honda NSX Type-R (+8 seconds)
3. Mazda RX-7 (+3 laps)
4. Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII (+12 laps)
5. Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (way back)
6. Subaru Legacy B4 2.0 GT (we all knew he was going to lose)

Final thoughts:
The margin of victory looks very small but it was actually pretty comfortable win. I could have pushed harder and probably win by a lap but I wanted to keep it close.
I found two keys to fast laps. The 90 degree turn can be taken faster than you think. If your speed drops below 100kmh you are too slow. Also at the final long sweeper the exit speed is more important than hugging the inside curb. I late-apexed that turn pretty much the whole race.

P.S. I still hate this track :-)

What Elise was it? The base model?

Yep, not the model 72. Just the base model but it packs about 160 HP with the chip, exhaust and NA Stage 1.
It looks like I won't be able to finish the race until tuesday or wednesday. I'm busy with other stuff.

Great report so far. This event seems to give plenty of options for tight racing. I tried it a little while ago in a standard (except for oil change and some SH tyres being available) Elan S1, but I dumbed down the competition a lot. 200 a-spec points and the fastest opposition was an RX-8. This was my attempt to put a new entry in the Stock 200 Challeng thread.

By mid point the first 4 were still on the same lap, which is astonishing considering how short this circuit is, and if I remember correctly, I took the lead for the first time after something like 2 and a half hours had passed.

Was a great race. I didn't win, but I think the Elan can do it.

By mid point the first 4 were still on the same lap, which is astonishing considering how short this circuit is, and if I remember correctly, I took the lead for the first time after something like 2 and a half hours had passed.

Was a great race. I didn't win, but I think the Elan can do it.

Wow, that seems like a great line up. Do you have a report somewhere ? I would love to read it and also possibly use the same line up in case I don't win this race (I would downgrade my car to keep it close and make it 200 points)

I like the idea with Lotus Elise on Tsukuba...👍
I'll go for the same... I love Elise and I'm trying to use it on as much endurances as possible...
Already done Nurb 4h, El Capitain and NewYork with it...

But Tsukuba will have to wait till I finish all three 24h races... I'm "already" 1h 15min in the first race...:lol:

P.S. Great writeup ... +REP

Wow, that seems like a great line up. Do you have a report somewhere ? I would love to read it and also possibly use the same line up in case I don't win this race (I would downgrade my car to keep it close and make it 200 points)

Never published it but I did write the good bits down and save a replay. I will post it when I find it. I do have a couple of pics from it though. Here's one which shows the lineup.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8154/img00161pg5.jpg

To fill in the blanks, and this is from memory, the opponents are, and this is the order that they were in after 4 hours,
Mazda RX8
Mitsu Evo something (these two kept swapping the lead but the RX8's pitstop strategy seemed to give it a slight advantage
Me in the Elan
Skyline R34 (still on same lap)
I think the red thing was a Subaru Legacy
last place was an Alfa, probably a 147 GTA. I know there was an Alfa in it because I have a vivid memory of lapping it by overtaking it on the outside of the long last corner :scared:

I thought the Alfa was red but from the pic I'd guess that it's the Scooby that's red and the Alfa is black.

Will put a full report together sometime though I I did throw the race away with an ill chosen tyre change at the five hour mark, and once I knew the win was impossible I gave it to b-spec Blob who gallantly fought his way down to 5th :dunce:

EDIT: DOH! I posted the entire image instead of just the thumbnail. I've cut it down to just the URL, so if you paste that into your browser you will get the image. Sorry!

Thanks for the info. There is no way I'm doing this race again. I got my 200 points and I don't want to see this track again :-)

Thanks for the info. There is no way I'm doing this race again. I got my 200 points and I don't want to see this track again :-)

Good read CRX ! sorry cant give you reps at the moment. :grumpy:

:scared: hmmm Roadster 4 hours is also at ..........tsukuba :scared: :scared:

;)

AMG.

Roadster 4 hours is also at ..........tsukuba :scared:

Already done that one for 117 points. I'm not going for the maximum, 100000 is enough for me.
Currently at 96.2 and 96700 points. Six long enduros and Formula GT left to be done.

I also wanted to ask what are you talking about when you say "reps" ?

I also wanted to ask what are you talking about when you say "reps" ?

He's talking about the little red tick at the top right corner of every post. If you want to show your appreciation or disdain for a particular post, it alllows you to post a comment. Collect enough positive comments and you'll earn the Quality Posts badge under your avatar. Folks must have at least 1000 posts to be able to give rep points, and you earn another point of repping power for each 1000 posts and each year of membership to GTP. If you want to see the comments for one of your own posts, click on the tick, since you can't rep yourself, it'll bring up a list of comments. Comments with a grey dot are from folks who can't yet give rep, if it says N/A, they didn't post a comment.
If you have a green dot then someone was able to send rep points your way. :) I usually post a comment and leave my name, so that it's not so anonymous. You can only give rep to someone again after you've repped at least 10 other users. This is why many people have trouble repping the same quality posting people when you post 2 or more great things in quick succession.
There is a rep points system, which used to be displayed in your profile, but it was taken down by Jordan after a number of people became obsessed with the points and began logrolling ("I'll rep you if you rep me" kind of thing) with their mates.

Anyway, great racing here, 8s MOV after 9hrs is a top notch job! Kudos for going up against the NSX! He was too fast for my S2000 here, so I made sure there wasn't one in the lineup!! Look forward to more from you soon! :cheers:

Folks must have at least 1000 posts to be able to give rep points

Unless the rules have changed :confused: I think its 100 posts.
See https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2070832&postcount=1

If its a 1000 posts Ive been wasting my time repping without actually repping.

/ goes off to find the huge thread again that discussed the topic /

Ok found another post by Jordan that talks about the 1000 post part: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2072309&postcount=8 which also refers to some more explanation on this subject. Click o nthe here link in Jordan's post
Apologies for going off topic a bit

AMG.

Nice work. I don't think I could stand A-specing an enduro at Tsukuba. It's too short, and relatively boring for me and that doesn't go well with 4 or 9 hrs. of driving around it. I applaud your dedication, and your excellent report!

Back