WRS Frequently Asked Questions

MisterWeary

Staff Emeritus
GTP_MisterWeary
Frequently Asked Questions
confusedit9.jpg

Introduction
Often racers interested in becoming a part of the WRS have similar questions and so this thread is designed to help answer those. Should you have any queries that are not solved by perusing this thread then by all means post it in the WRS (Off Topic Chit Chat) thread and one of our friendly and helpful members will be sure to answer your question in no time 👍

Questions about how WRS works
These answers ought to at least help you understand how to become a part of the WRS community and start competing. There are many more questions that have come up during the competition that people often ask which you'll find below.

Other Commonly Asked Questions

I'm not sure I understand? What is the WRS?

The WRS (or Weekly Race Series) is GTPlanet's Official On-line Gran Turismo 4 Competition. We don't race at the same time across the Internet we simply all attempt to race the same combination of car and track during the course of a week.

So at the beginning of the week sjaak68, the WRS Administrator, will post a race and then qualified members of the WRS will attempt to achieve their fastest lap of the set combo. At the end of the week we submit these laps to see how we performed in comparison to other racers from around the world. We then repeat that cycle each week 👍

What is the Qualifier Race and why do I have to do it?

The Qualifier Race is a set race that all members of the WRS MUST first complete, you can find the Qualifier Race here. It is necessary to determine what division you will be placed in.

Because drivers have differing abilities we separate you into categories. This allows for closer competition, there are 3 divisions:
  • Division 1: Blue
  • Division 2: Orange
  • Division 3: Green
We have some of the fastest drivers in the world competing in the WRS and so quite often people who qualify in Division 3 become disheartened when they see some of the fast times submitted, HOWEVER! Through this competition many drivers have progressed from Division 3 all the way to Division 1. So if you qualify lower than you were expecting, don't worry, you'll have plenty of opportunity to rise through the ranks 👍

I've sent my qualifying time to Sjaak...now what?

As soon as you've PM'ed your Qualifier Time to sjaak68 you are welcome to begin racing. Even if you haven't been told what division you're in, once you've done the Qualifier, you're free to race 👍

How do I know what race to do?

To start racing simply go to the WRS foyer found here and you'll find the current race stickied at the top. Open the first page and you'll find directions on what combination we are racing this week 👍

Okay I've had a go at the race...now what?

To get the full experience of WRS you are invited to participate in the Weekly Race thread. Racers post their split times there (excluding final lap times) and discuss strategies for improving their laps. The WRS is a very friendly community and new members are always welcomed, so come and join in the threads found here 👍

What is the Leaderboard people talk about?

There are two leaderboards associated with the WRS:
  1. Splits Leaderboard: This board summarises the splits people post in the Weekly thread
  2. Overall Leaderboard: This board summarises overall competition winners.
The splits leaderboard is updated regularly to give you some indication of how you are going during a race and the overall leaderboard gives you an indication of how you've performed over the previous 8 weeks 👍

When and how do I submit my race?

In the Weekly Race thread you will find details of the submission time but most weeks you are required to PM your name, division and final time to sjaak68.

Normally results will be posted within 30 minutes of this deadline as will the new race for the week. Submission time is very strict so sending your submission in with plenty of time to spare is a good idea 👍

What happens after I've submitted?

Normally within 5 minutes of submission time results will be posted in the WRS foyer found here. All previous results can be found in the WRS Archive found here. Around this time the new race is also posted so that racers always have a challenge to keep them busy 👍

I've been asked to provide a replay...how do I do that?

You need a device called a Max Drive, which can be purchased here if you live in Europe or here if you live in Asia/Oceania, or on several other sites on the web.

It consists of a USB memory stick and software that enables you to copy replays or gamesaves in .max format from your PS2 memory card to the USB memory stick or vice versa. You can then copy/move the replay file from the memory stick to your PC and attach it to your post. Please note that video replays are NOT accepted in the WRS as they don't offer enough detail for analysing 👍

I don't think I can race every week...does that matter?

Not at all. You can race as little or as much as you like. Once you've completed the Qualifier Race you're free to come and compete whenever you feel like it. The beauty of the WRS is how informal it is so if you're not enjoying a race, then come back again next week 👍

Back