Tuning Competition Week 16 - RESULTS

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 6 comments

DuckRacer

Premium
Lotus Elise @ Deep Forest

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sucahyo

VQuick

PARAGON GT

ChromeBallz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winner: ChromeBallz. Congrats!

Thanks to 2078TM for judging this week. :cheers:

2078TM's Ratings:

SUCAHYO
Turn-in (entry to corners)
Ranking (1-10): _2______

Mid-Corner response (whether the car under/oversteers mid-corner or holds the racing line well)
Ranking (1-10): ____2___

Corner exit (how quickly you can exit a corner whilst staying in good control)
Ranking (1-10): ____1___

Stability (rear end staying in line, car not 'jumping' or feeling skittish in turns)
Ranking (1-10): ____1___I’d give this a zero if I could

Grip (start-offs, how much power can be used without the drive wheels losing traction? Does the car oversteer excessively?)
Ranking (1-10): _____1__

High-speed controllability (whether the car becomes 'frantic' and turns far too sharply at high speeds)

Handling while braking (are you able to easily turn the car while braking, and without going into oversteer?)

Acceleration (how good is it? Is there a lot of traction while doing it?)

Total Combined Ranking: ____11____

Final Thoughts: _Absolutely undriveable. I was unable to complete a single lap without spinning out no matter how slow I went. The extreme (and unbalanced) settings conspire to make an already twitchy car positively evil.

VQUICK
Ranking (1-10): _3______

Mid-Corner response (whether the car under/oversteers mid-corner or holds the racing line well)
Ranking (1-10): ____3___

Stability (rear end staying in line, car not 'jumping' or feeling skittish in turns)

Grip (start-offs, how much power can be used without the drive wheels losing traction? Does the car oversteer excessively?)
Ranking (1-10): _____8__

High-speed controllability (whether the car becomes 'frantic' and turns far too sharply at high speeds)
Ranking (1-10): _____6__

Handling while braking (are you able to easily turn the car while braking, and without going into oversteer?)
Ranking (1-10): ____1___

Ranking (1-10): _____4__

Total Combined Ranking: ____29____

Final Thoughts:VQUICK’s comment that he slapped this together and drove it two laps inspired me to give the same amount of effort judging it.

PARAGON
Ranking (1-10): _5______Best turn-in of the group

Ranking (1-10): ____4___

Ranking (1-10): ____4___Too sensitive to lift-throttle oversteer

Ranking (1-10): _____8__Not enough power to cause a problem

Ranking (1-10): _____5__Stiff springs can unsettle the rear

Ranking (1-10): ____6___

Ranking (1-10): _____5__

Total Combined Ranking: ____41____

Final Thoughts:At first I thought this would be my winner as it FEELS very quick. But the setup that actually tames this car’s understeer does at the cost of too much rear end instability at high speed.

CHROMEBALLZ
Ranking (1-10): _4______

Ranking (1-10): ____5___

Ranking (1-10): ____5___The most settled of the group.

Ranking (1-10): _____8__Not enough power to cause a problem

Ranking (1-10): _____6__The best this week.

Ranking (1-10): ____6___

Ranking (1-10): _____5__

Total Combined Ranking: ____43____

Final Thoughts: Very understeery but nevertheless the quickest this week. This was the only car that could be really hustled through the high speed turns without worrying that the rear would come around

Overall comment: The challenge this week was to tame the relentless understeer as well as lift-throttle oversteer of this car. Both ChromeBallz and Paragon had decent setups but I have the feeling that taking some front downforce away would provide better high-speed balance while having minimal impact on low-speed understeer.

I'm sorry I couldn't get my results up by the deadline, I had some troubles - both with PS2 (Disk Read Errors) and family... I preferred Paragons setup, but again - only by a small margin. Sucahyo's setup was too extreme (It seems like the only kind of setups he does - the Caterham and Holden were the same), and VQuick's was mediocre...

woo hoo. 2nd place.

Not to bad for the first try.

Gingiba: I'd still like to see your comments if possible. (just to help me in the future.)

Wow whats happened to these comps?!?

...Must get myself a 2nd hand PS2 or summat. Can I ask what Elise exactly was used? The classic?

Back