USB Cameras, USB & Bluetooth Headsets & Dongles for use with PS3

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
I'm curious what advanatges there are to using these with the PS3, and what alternative devices might someone in the know suggest.

Thanks.

What do you mean by advantages?

You won't need that dongle for the PS3, it should just link up with the PS3's bluetooth card. Its not a bad deal if you are looking for a headset and webcam though, plus you can use it with your PC if you want.

I bought that headset this morning, for the price and all you get is a pretty good deal

So has anyone tried different types of Bluetooth headsets or ear pieces, and if so what are your recommendations?

The title of this thread is kinda misleading because you open it expecting a list with all devices which people have confirmed work with the PS3.... alot like the GT4 photomode compatable hardware list we did a while ago... For some odd reason this is not the case... There should be a thread with lists everything you can stick into your ps3 and that works!

Robin

The title of this thread is kinda misleading because you open it expecting a list with all devices which people have confirmed work with the PS3.... alot like the GT4 photomode compatable hardware list we did a while ago... For some odd reason this is not the case...
If you have some info on any device, feel free to post it here.

There should be a thread with lists everything you can stick into your ps3 and that works!
If people post info on them, I'll be glad to update the first post to list them, and link to those posts.

If you have some info on any device, feel free to post it here.

I would do but I don't have a PS3 yet, but when I do I will literally be plugging in anything that has a USB socket on it in my home to see if it works! :lol: :)

If people post info on them, I'll be glad to update the first post to list them, and link to those posts.

I think that would be very helpful as people can help build up a list and it can benefit people thinking of buying or trying you use hardware they already own with the PS3...

I saw in today's Sunday paper that Fry's is having a sale on Motorola's H350 Bluetooth Headset & Charger for only $30.
  • Bluetooth: 2.0
  • Microphone Type: ?
  • Battery Type: ?
  • Talk Time: 8 hours
  • Standby Time: 150 hours
  • Charging Time: ?
  • Weight: 0.60 oz.
  • Features:
    • Immediate Low Power Mode (when not in use to conserve battery life)
    • Mute
    • 3-way Calling
    • On/Off LED Feedback

Seems like a pretty good deal, however, doing some searches I see there are some Bluetooth headsets that even sell for less than that.

For instance, I have found lots of sites that offer Jabra's BT350 Bluetooth Headset for less than $20.
  • Bluetooth: 1.2
  • Microphone Type: 6mm Omni-directional
  • Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
  • Talk Time: 7 hours
  • Standby Time: 200 hours
  • Charging Time: 2 hours
  • Weight: 0.63 oz.
  • Features:
    • Answer/end call
    • Voice dial
    • Last number re-dial
    • Reject call
    • Call hold/ Call wait
    • Mute
    • Vibrate alert
    • Multi-colored LED lights for status on Bluetooth®, low battery and charging

It would be great if there was a site that did tust worthy reviews of all these different headsets.

The sale at Fry's is good through Tuesday, so if anyone has a better recommendation before then, please let me know. :)

I'll post this link to the Official Playstation Boards as they have a list of known working Bluetooth headsets. I do still have my Socom USB headset somewhere as well as my old Sony Ericsson HBH 662 (I doubt it works but I'll try it out).
If Bluetooth has a better clarity and fidelity than the USB headset I'll definately use it. If not I won't worry about it. There's no dogs or children to trip on any wires in my house!

I see Sony has added features and enhancements to the PS3's voice & video chat capabilities with the 1.53 and 1.54 updates:
Has anyone tried out any of these features yet, or tried out a video cam with the PS3?

Also, does anyone have any additional information on the HD camera and microphone with spatial awareness that Phil Harrison hinted about during his GDC keynote address? Thanks.

Just a heads up to say... the new PlayStation Eye has a fantastic mic built into it. It is a significant improvement in voice quality over any of the Bluetooth headsets. 👍

I've heard that some people are even using it while playing Warhawk instead of their Bluetooth headsets.

I received a recent inquiry about what Bluetooth headsets to get and recalled my own experience with several different models so I thought I'd add them here for future reference in the event someone might find the info useful:

You can find many reviews of the Jabra BT125 online and they appear to be right in line with most Bluetooth headsets, certainly at the $40 price level.

Personally, I've never used that model, but I still have my Jabra BT350 and it's an excellent Bluetooth headset.

I used to have a Plantronics Discovery 655 which along with the Jabra, Samsung Blackjack, and Motorola Razr I got free with my most recent mobile contract.

It was a really nice headset with what I thought was excellent noise cancellation... that was until I accidentally left it on plane and replaced it with "The Jawbone". This is by far my favorite Bluetooth headset that I've used, and its noise canceling performance is really amazing. This is especially useful when your trying to have an important conversation while running through the airport... late for your flight. :embarrassed:

Adding to my unwitting collection of Bluetooth headsets, I even kept the very first Bluetooth headset I got a few years ago, the Motorola HS801.

I tried all of these with the PS3 in MotorStorm and with the PS3's voice chat and except for the Motorola, they all performed quite well.

My beef is that unlike my phones, the PS3 only lets you add one Bluetooth headset to the system settings. This means unlike with my phones where I can simply select in the phone's menu which headset I want to use, with the PS3 you have to go through the whole set up process each time you switch headsets. :ouch:👎

I'm hoping this will be resolved with a future system update.

Does anyone have one of these new Dragon, dual-microphone, Bluetooth headsets by Callpod?

CallpodDragon_01.jpg

They look and sound very promising. I also like the walkie-talkie feature... although anything Cirque de Soleil uses loses some of its cool factor. ;)

If anyone has used this, I'd love to hear some additional opinions about it.

PC Magazine has a recent article on some of the latest Bluetooth headsets including the new 2nd gen Jawbone:

Style and Design Important for Bluetooth Headsets
Published on 5/16/08 by Tim Bajarin, technology analyst and president of Creative Strategies
New Bluetooth headsets, including the just-announced Aliph New Jawbone, are likely to appeal to Californians as the state prepares to adopt a hands-free driving law.

A new law is coming to California, and it's making a lot of folks think hard about the role technology will soon play in their everyday lives. Come July, California will become the largest state in the union with a hands-free driving law─one that will affect over 35 million people.

The law itself was passed two years ago, so Californians have had quite a bit of time to get used to the idea. Interestingly, a recent study suggests that driving while talking on a cell phone is equivalent to or even more dangerous than driving while drunk. While this might be a stretch, it's true that using a cell phone while driving is a big distraction. It's no surprise that the new law met with minimal resistance when it passed.

Right now, there are two main ways to use hands-free devices in cars. In the first—a "whole car"—solution, the Bluetooth function is either built into the car's sound system or comes as an add-on kit. A person talks into a speakerphone, and the audio reply comes through some type of speaker. The second option is an in-ear Bluetooth headset, which affords some privacy since only the wearer can hear what the person on the line is saying.

We asked some Californians which hands-free devices they plan to use once the law is in place. The responses varied, those of men differing a lot from those of women. Women were highly sensitive about others in the car hearing their conversations. But when it came to the Bluetooth headset option, they were concerned about what some called the "dork" factor. Over and over, we heard them refer to the headsets on the market as "ugly," "eyesores" or "too bulky," and they were hard pressed to find a headset that was really to their liking. On the other hand, the men we asked were somewhat ambivalent on the issue. Most hoped to find a way to put the Bluetooth function into their cars, while others seemed fine with the idea of buying some type of Bluetooth headset. The quality of the device was the most important factor in all these discussions and will play a major role in their final choices.

Regarding the "dork" factor, most headset makers realize that they have to pay close attention to design to make their headsets more "fashionable" if they want mass adoption. To that end, two of the key players in this space have come out with unique designs that are both fashionable and targeted to appeal to either sex.

Plantronics, a leader in hands-free communication, produces all types of headset solutions, many of them now standard in aviation (its products are even implemented on the Space Shuttle). The company makes Bluetooth headsets for business as well as consumer use, with over a dozen models on the market. Recently, Plantronics introduced a model called the Discovery 925. Clearly the most stylish of the company's offerings, it looks designed specifically to appeal to women. Though it's been on the market for only a short time, it has already sold quite well. I suspect that once the new colors (gold and cerise) are available, it will become even more popular with women who have been clamoring for more color and style options when it comes to Bluetooth headsets.

The other company that's really focusing on fashion and style is Aliph, makers of the popular Jawbone. Its initial model sold well but was a bit on the large side. Today, the company came out with a new version of the Jawbone that is half the size and adds a new ear loop wrapped in leather. According to company officials, the $129 Aliph New Jawbone takes its design hints from stylish sunglasses seen on the market today. The debuting model is black, but in early July the company will release a model in silver and rose gold. The headset introduces a breakthrough noise-elimination technology with even better voice quality than the original version in a smaller and more ergonomic package. Curiously, Aliph calls this earware rather than a headset, hence the comparison to sunglasses.

Of course, these aren't the only companies that understand the importance of style. Indeed, other Bluetooth models out there should appeal to a variety of users as they make the move to hands-free driving. The list includes the Jabra X20, the LG Prada Bluetooth Headset, the Motorola H680, the Nokia BH-800, the Samsung Instinct, and the Sony Ericcson HBH-PV710, to name just a few.

To date there are about 20 states in the U.S. with a hands-free law in place. Those without one will be looking to California to see what impact the law has on reducing cell phone–related accidents. I am certain that if California's program is successful, then other states will follow suit.

My Motorola HS 850 does not work with PS3. I bought it to use it with WarHawk only to find that I should have just got a Jabra. If theres anyody outthere willing to trade it for a PS3 compatable one I'm game. It works just not with PS3, I tried it with my neighbors phone and it defnetly works.

Sony recently announced they will be coming out with an official Bluetooth headset that will be available on its own as well as bundled with the Blu-ray version of SOCOM Confrontation:

2615418383_7d2fb02451.jpg

SOCOM Headset Unveiled
Published on June 27th, 2008 by Dave Wales on PSU
As expected, SOCOM: Confrontation is set to release with a Bluetooth bundle much like Warhawk did about a year ago. Unlike the Warhawk headset, the one bundled with SOCOM is going to be an official PlayStation item and provide much better quality. The headset is supposedly designed with gaming in mind and will come with a much needed mute button, something that the standard bluetooth peripheral usually lacks.

The charging base is USB powered, so you'll be able to charge the headset when not in use via your PlayStation 3. GameStop is currently taking preorders for the bundled package at $59.99. If you're wanting to just get your hands on the headset as a standalone, that option will be made available, however Sony has yet to release an official price.

SOCOM Headset Officially Revealed
Posted Jun 27th 2008 12:00PM by Andrew Yoon on PS3fanboy
The Blu-ray retail version of SOCOM Confrontation will include a Bluetooth headset. However, expect something much classier than the one included in the Warhawk bundle so long ago. This one is made specifically with gaming in mind -- and as such, earns the official PlayStation branding. The headset, which will also be available seperately from the game, is designed for long use and even includes a much-needed Mute button, a feature uncommon to most Bluetooth headsets. The device will also include a USB cradle, so that it can be charged via the PS3.

While neither the design and price have been completely finalized, Sony plans on pricing this quite competitively. From the looks of its quality, we believe Sony will charge more than what they did for Warhawk.

ps3_bluetooth_007.jpg

ps3_bluetooth_009.jpg

ps3_bluetooth_004.jpg

ps3_bluetooth_012.jpg

ps3_bluetooth_003.jpg

I've just added this to my Amazon wishlist, as I finally succumb to the desire to not be mute any longer. Someone spoke to me on LBP the other night and all I could do was wave back :P With the forthcoming launch of Home, however, I think now is the time to ask for invest in one :dopey: I'm tempted to go for the 'official' PS3 one as pictured (many times!) above, but it is going for £17.99 (marked down from £24.99) whereas I've seen many others for quite a bit less....

For $10AUD I bought my friends Samsung WEP180/185 and it works fine, very good quality as well.

Back