Infineon Endurance - 200 A-spec using Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca **PICS ADDED**

• Thread starter Vash666
  • 6 comments
Finland
Helsinki
Vash666_
Time has come for my second endurance race report and I must say that this was among the most enjoyable races for me. What a fantastic car and track, I hope you enjoy the ride. :)

Infineon World Sports Car Race - 200pts. race

The lineup:

Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car - pits every 13 laps
BMW V12 LMR Race Car - pits every 15 laps
Bentley Speed 8 Race Car - pits every 14 laps
Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car - pits every 11-12 laps
Mazda 787B Race Car - pits every 14-15 laps
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca (me) - pitted on laps 15, 31, 47, 63, 74, 84, 101

gtpic2qx4.jpg

Car Setup: Stock, new oil (597hp) and R1's

Pit Strategies:
10-11 laps with R2's and 40-45 units of fuel <== laps ~ 1'24 mins
16-18 laps with R1's and 50-55 units of fuel <== laps ~ 1'26 mins

The Race:

gtpic4ae2.jpg

gtpic3vi2.jpg

gtpic5wr5.jpg

Luckily the AI drivers aren't that fast on cold tyres so I managed to take the lead on lap 3. Few laps later when their tyres warmed up they quickly catched me and I was soon passed by the Jaguar. Fierce battle then ensued and on lap 11 started happening. I was +2 secs behind the Jag and when we reached corner 6 I saw him spinning out to the sand, probably because of red tyres.

gtpic1vd0.jpg

On lap 15 me, 787B and BMW pitted the same time, my lead was one second.
On the following laps I increased the lead to 8 secs but when the 787B got past the BMW he started to close on me one second per lap. I pitted again on lap 32 and the Mazda was right at my tail.:nervous: The nissan R390 couldn't keep up at all and we lapped him on lap 33. During this stint we had some intense battles for 1st place with the 787B. I couldn't make any gap to him because of my slower car and R1 tyres. He tried to overtake me several times but with no success. The 787B often drifted of the track at corners 2 and 4 but got very quickly back on . Much to my annoyance the 787B often rear ended me (especially the last hairpin) and he quickly accelerated away leaving me in 2nd place. :grumpy:

Race had been going on for about a hour and the Mazda pitted in on lap 44 which gave me some breathing room before my own pitstop. On lap 47 I pitted in and got out +3 secs behind the 787B. The following stint was terrible as I made some mistakes and the 787B pulled away. It was lap 58 when the 787B pitted again and I also lapped the R390 GT1 for the second time. I made my pitstop on lap 63 and I was +19 secs behind the 787B... 👎 Things didn't look too good at this point and I took a little break from the racing. After some thinking I decided to change to R2's during the pitstop because I would have never catched the leader on R1 tyres.

Much to my relief my strategy seemed to work and I managed to shorten the gap between me and the 787B. On lap 72 he pitted in and 2 laps later I did too. After the stop I was +5 secs behind him and on the following laps I slowly got nearer. On lap 79 I was only one second behind but then I spun out on corner 3. :ouch:

On the following laps I literally flew the car and also made my fastest lap: 1'22.796. Between laps 80 and 83 I managed to lap the Jag, Nissan and Bentley but the Mazda was still on 1st place. Then on lap 84 I finally managed to overtake the 787B but I had to enter the pits because my tyres were completely shot. Luckily the 787B pitted in lap later. At this point the race clock got past 2 hours.

gtpic2qx4.jpg

The final stage of the race was at hand and I did some calculations and found out that the Mazda would pit only 2 times before the race ended. I realized that I couldn't keep racing on R2's because I would have to the make 3 pitstops against his 2. I decided to drive one stint with R1's and the last laps with R2's. 💡

Lap 100 came and I was struggling with the R1's, I was +3 secs behind the 787B. On lap 102 I pitted in for the last time and changed to R2's and fueled about 50 units. At this point I was +5 secs behind the Mazda. :nervous: I drove as fast as I could and when only 8 minutes was left of the race I overtook the 787B on lap 109! During this lap I also lapped the BMW which felt pretty good. I managed to keep the lead till the end despite some VERY red tyres. What a race!!! :D

Final standings:

1st: Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca laps: 114 time 2:45'37.754
2nd: Mazda 787B Race Car + 3 secs :crazy:
3rd: BMW V12 LMR Race Car -1 lap
4th: Bentley Speed 8 Race Car -1 lap
5th: Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car -1 lap
6th: Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car -3 laps

The price: 500000 credits, Ford GT LM Race Car '02 and 200 A-spec points!

Thanks for reading my report through.

Holy smokes, I'm impressed. 👍
I used a 787 to win this race for 200. I would have ended in 6th with your car.

AMG.

Thanks to all for the comments, next up is Sarthe 24h I. Hopefully I can come up with a challenging race there also. :sly:

Wow, that's one of my favorite cars (in GT3, don't have it in GT4 yet) and it's definitely my favorite track in GT4. I'll have to put in some practice laps when I get there and see if I can match your times. I love a nice close race and it sounds like a very pleasant afternoon!

Yeah, this car and track make a very nice combo. Just add a tough lineup and your set to go. No dull moments, I quarantee that. :D

Back